Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-17-2013, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: 98 740il
Help!!! Elect. Gremlins are killing me

OK, short history first. Bought car, found standing water in car floorboards,cleaned and dried everything including behind dash connecters and plugs. Bought brand new 855 CCA battery. When I connect the battery the drivers side speaker starts humming, Key off. When I turn the key on it goes away for a few seconds then starts again. Also once the key has been turned on,what looks like an air pump or something located in the front of the motor on the air itake tube right before the plenum starts running and doesnt stop until battery is unhooked. The abs also makes very faint clicks once the key has been turned on. I have cleaned everything I can find free of corrosion and tightened everything also. At the moment I am waiting for the cable to re-sync my dme to ews so I wonder if that has anything to do with this set of gremlins or if thats totally unrelated.Any advice?
Advertisement
Old 03-17-2013, 12:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Welcome...and here's a tip...you should have started with the information you have in this post. Some of your other post lack any perspective as to why you're doing what you're doing so it's not clear how to make any suggestions. You may be asking for inforation that is not needed and could lead you down the wrong path...all because you gave no details as to why or what you're doing.

For instance, you asked in one of your posts about how to resync tthe EWS module and DME...without any context...this could be dangerous or fruitless. But now that you've mentioned that your car was flooded...it makes more sense as to why you're having a lot of electrical gremlins and issues.

Did you clean/check the major fuse box that is below the front passenger seat...underneath the carpet? If not, this could be where a lot of your issues are stemming from:
(image courtesy of CNN-90) - fuses below carpet of front passenger seat

FUSES UNDER PASSENGER SEAT:
F107 = 50A, SAS airpump Special Fuse: BMW PN 6113836590 (9/98-up build date)
F108 = ??A, ABS/DSC control unit]
F109 = ??A, for the DME (motor electronics)]
F110 = 80A, Power supply F1-F12 and F22-F26
F111 = 50A, Data link connector/ Ignition switch
F112 = 80A, Light control module
F113 = 80A, Power supply F13 and F27-F30/ Light Module
F114 = 50A, Data link connector/ Ignition switch
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 03-17-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:15 PM

Yes I cleaned and checked that one and checked all the fuses as well as the ebox and trunk area ones a thankyou for the reply I appreciate any help I can get with this thing. Still trying to get it on the road
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 e38. schwartzx2
Me too

Hey, I feel for you with the whole electrical gremlins thing. I had the same problem, and i suspect many people thought I was trying to get info to start a stolen car, cause I really felt like nobody would help me. Not on this site, of course.

My pass floorboard was flooded too, and I bought a car cover first.

In my case, fixing the fusebox that was under water fixed the headlights, because they would only work intermittently. But the car still wont start and the tail lights still don't work. I can only imagine that that fusebox affects nearly every circuit on the car, because the hot wire, the big one on the left in the picture is straight from the battery and powers everything but the starter.

Did you check the circuit on both sides of the fuse?
Old 03-21-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks for your reply,So far all I am is a bmw owner since I have not been able to start this car since I purchased it.I have went through this thing to the extent of gutting the entire interior looking for possible problems that could be giving me the nightmares that I am getting and have fixed a lot of questionable things along the way but still have to be missing the big picture because I have so many little gremlins that I dont think contribute to the no starting problem that I find myself getting discouraged and start second guessing myself and although I am not ase certified and have not got a masters in elec. science or coding I still know my way around vehicles but I am running out of ideas. I bought the bmw 1.4 scanner and pasoft software to be able to read the different modules and possibly re-sync the ews to the dme but after reading the errors I am not so sure thats my no start problem anymore.And of coarse deciphering the error codes that it spits out is like pulling teeth.For now I think I will just focus on getting the car to start and forget about the dozens of little things and just hope that none of them are causing the main problem of not cranking/starting. I have posted another thread regarding the pasoft codes and hopefully someone will be able to help me further soon because this car is doing nothing but taking up valuable space in my shop at the moment. Thank you for your input and good luck as well with your problems.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:00 AM

How sure are you the ews and dme are synched? I found a tool online that claims to re synch the ews system, but I can't find any confirmation if it actually works.

Also, I read somewhere, if you twist two wires together, on the EWS module itself, it will force the starter to crank (but efi and fuel pump might not fire), which would rule out a bunch of problems.

In my case, I jumped the starter with a screw driver, and the starter still wouldn't crank, which I think is kind of odd.

In my case, I had the ignition apart, and twisted the switch with a screwdriver without having the key in the ignition (so the ring antenna did not read it, and I think it screwed up the ews)

But i really don't know, and not many people do!

Did you test the hot wire off the ignition switch? is the switch sending the start message?
Also, if you test the wires to the starter, are they sending low volt to the starter to trip the solenoid?
Old 03-22-2013, 05:41 PM

well I jumped the two wires at the ews and still nothing.I bought the bmw 1.4 scanner and adapter cord and installed the pasoft software and now I am more confused about where to check next. I can sync the ews/dme with the tools i have except when i check the error codes sometimes the scanner will find and read a bunch of modules but then if i clear the codes when it scans again it wont find hardley any modules including the dme. Keep in mind that i m not touching anything or changing anything and everytime it scans I get different results .Nothing consistent ever. except one error i always get when it picks up the dme is ews-dme-dde input wire short circuit or interuption but so far I have not found what wire that is as of yet.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 AM

I'm sorry, I really wish I knew more about the computer side of things!
If it makes you feel any better, I am having the same problem. How much did you pay for the computer equipment? Will it reset the ews??
Old 03-23-2013, 09:43 AM

I payed under 50 for the scanner and 12 for the adapter ut you can get them cheper because i payed for priority shipping on both item and it will recode pretty much every module as well as reprogram the ews and dme and re-sync them also. I have been diagnosing it now for awhile since i wrote the last reply and might be gettin somewhere.which brings me to my next question for all you owners out there. I need to know what pin from the ews3 connects the signal input to the other side.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:18 AM

update?

How is the no start going? Was it the ews? Also, I know you are busy, but if you get a chance, could you post exactly what you bought, and where, I need to get my ews reset, but there is so much bad info out there, it is dizzying.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:46 PM

Got the no start thing figured out and posted the solution in another thread which may or may not help your situation but I have noticed alot of little problems you wouldnt think were related along the way that may be part of your problem and am happy to have you pick my brain if you want,I may be able to help along the way.here is the links to the scanner and adapter that helped me and did do everything it said it was capable of doing.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...OC%3AUS%3A3160. You can get the same things for a little less through ebay but I was in a hurry and did not want to wait for the shipping so I opted to upgrade the shipping a little but the items i recieived ,despite a few peoples arguments that they would not perform the tasks I was needing ,did everything perfectly and easily. so keep me posted on your progress and ill be happy to help in any way possible
Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Thanks for the info! I am going to order that scanner, as I am pretty sure i messed up my ews, but the interior obdII port doesn't work. I have some checking to do, but I will get back to you about it. My car is the same way, I don't think it was put into water, but there was about three gallons in the floorboards because it was sitting seven years.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 PM

you need to get the adapter cable also because it wont recognize very many modules from inside but reads perfect under the hood
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 AM

Finally!

thank you so much. You wouldn't believe the research I had to do and how many questions I had to ask to find out that the ews could be reset without a tow to the dealer!

I am not towing a 900$ project car to a dealer. They'd call security when they saw it's shabby state.

I think when I am done with this car, it might be back to camaros for me. Electronic stuff is hateful and tragic. Like the old man says, 'this car is German, so once you learn it's their way or not at all, you will be just fine!!'
Old 03-27-2013, 11:39 AM

Oh I most certainly would believe how hard it was to find that information,I too scoured the web for that same information but the end result was great. It surprisingly was a one button click and 20 seconds later....Success. Good luck to you.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:17 PM

one more question...

one more question, which obd plug (20 pin adapter) did you order? Will any work? I can't find one from that supplier, if they are all the same i really don't care who i buy from!

I messed with my car all day, and I got the starter to crank, so It is definitely not the starter. I suspect the EWS, and I'll bet the 60$ on it!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM

i believe any one will work
Old 04-25-2013, 08:24 AM

Still battling a no start.

Finally the weather up here is breaking, and I am gonna go battle that 7 or die trying.

Specifically, how do you realign the ews? You mention hitting a button, and then success. I bought the products you suggested, but I don't know how to do it. I'm sure I will figure it out. There are absolutely no directions on that program anywhere, (pa soft 1.4.0.) Thanks whoever.

I know the starter works, I know the ews is getting power to the hot wire. I know the ig switch is sending a message, i know the DME is disallowing a start, because the program says so, and it wont recognize the key, (which it did previously) because it started once.

Red box says 'starter disabled.' I am going to order a new key from BMW to cross that off, as mine is extremely worn, but does unlock the doors and remote unlock does work.

Off to check every fuse, and search every detail. Personally, I'd give me a 30% chance, then find an indy, because I am no mechanic...