Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 03-19-2013, 09:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Pretty much had 'em all
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
on the situation regarding finding out what the problem is.

on the drama.

THIS ^
Snowsled, sorry if I contributed to this with my comment as you indeed are trying to help an ungrateful individual.
I have also exchanged a few transmissions in the last forty odd years of fiddling with cars. Speaking for myself, only the very simplest cars and without any rusted or stuck fasteners can I approach the time you claim. I live in the rust belt and have always had to fool around at least a bit with rusty fasteners on anything old enough to require a transmission to come out.
Can I get one out in an hour without regard to destroying fasteners, muffler hangers, etc? You bet.
As the OP has found 6 hrs for removal is excessive, perhaps the mechanic is unfamiliar with the car and wanted to cover his ass for complications, better to be a hero for coming in under budget than be regarded as a thief when asking for more.

OP, please put your butthurt feelings aside(no need for it anyway) and follow up with your eventual solution as a service to the rest. Otherwise this thread needs to quietly die.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 530i, 1977 320i
update and question.

trans is out and mechanic is making a took to take it apart on his own time because he is curious.

also, some damage to flywheel from previous clutch job that was put in wrong

the question here before I put anything more into this tranny as far as rebuilding, is there another transmission that swaps with this one?

this one is a s5d 310z - that is the stock transmission number. Are there any transmissions that will swap with this one? e34 V-8s, 5 spd or manual? any knowledge is greatly appreciated.

will update with pictures of tranny when I go take a look at all this fun stuff

now
Old 03-19-2013, 01:23 PM

anybody know of or know where to get the specific tool you need to get this specific transmission apart?

it's to get the front and rear case halves to come off, you need to input bearing out of input shaft to get the front cases off and so you need a tool that is like a plate that fits over the front input shaft that the round plate bolts up at the front of the transmission and then there's a pipe welded to that with a nut on the end.

a tool like that, we need one, to get the input seal out of the bearing to get the transmission apart. We're gonna maybe make the tool ourselves or just get another trans., we're trying to decide. We still want to see what is in there.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:39 PM

I'd rather just get another trans. and then we can take the old one apart with a sledgehammer so I am looking for an available trans. to swap with this and I strongly feel that where there is a will, there is a way

previous owner did a clutch job over the old flywheel and it was unbolted and some pins had come out of fly wheel that mechanic was able to repair. the flywheel is relatively worn but good enough to keep . I apologize for these multiple posts, I am adding info as I get it and should just edit when there hasn't been a comment ...

Last edited by manuelwindows; 03-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:43 PM

Just gonna replace it. $650.

gonna replace the flywheel too. $175

also wanna do a new clutch kit. Anybody got a recommendation for a nice clutch kit, maybe an upgrade for this vehicle?

I'm also gonna take pictures of the old transmission after we take that apart to see what is up in that beast.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
on the situation regarding finding out what the problem is.

on the drama.
Agree. This thread has about as much negative vibe as any I have read in a while.

94 318I (Daughter's car), 96 740IL(current project), 97 528I(DD), 07 335I(Son's car)
Old 03-19-2013, 08:10 PM
FCK HONDA

Mein Auto: 1995 540i SPORT /6 spd
Wow..

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelwindows View Post

also wanna do a new clutch kit. Anybody got a recommendation for a nice clutch kit, maybe an upgrade for this vehicle?

I'm also gonna take pictures of the old transmission after we take that apart to see what is up in that beast.

WOW! All that bullsh** and you guy's just give up and decide to Remove & Replace everything..???

you waisted, your time, our time, probably some good money and and you could have been driving already..

That was alot of over weather or not we would be lucky enough to see your Rebuild of the trans.. never even got it open..

**** Honda
Old 03-19-2013, 08:11 PM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmorgan_260 View Post
Agree. This thread has about as much negative vibe as any I have read in a while.
Thanks for bring it back up....

Seems to be going fine now
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 03-19-2013, 08:14 PM
The Ornery Old Man

Quote:

I think you would find a good OEM replacement plenty stout for a stock car. What the car came with is very good, your best bet is to replace it.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 03-19-2013, 08:23 PM
The Ornery Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross1 View Post
THIS ^
Snowsled, sorry if I contributed to this with my comment as you indeed are trying to help an ungrateful individual.
I have also exchanged a few transmissions in the last forty odd years of fiddling with cars. Speaking for myself, only the very simplest cars and without any rusted or stuck fasteners can I approach the time you claim. I live in the rust belt and have always had to fool around at least a bit with rusty fasteners on anything old enough to require a transmission to come out.
Can I get one out in an hour without regard to destroying fasteners, muffler hangers, etc? You bet.
As the OP has found 6 hrs for removal is excessive, perhaps the mechanic is unfamiliar with the car and wanted to cover his ass for complications, better to be a hero for coming in under budget than be regarded as a thief when asking for more.

OP, please put your butthurt feelings aside(no need for it anyway) and follow up with your eventual solution as a service to the rest. Otherwise this thread needs to quietly die.
I became quite adept at removing the trans from my old MB 280GE. I kept messing up the repair so I took it out three times over the course of a few weeks. I could have it out in under an hour. I've not fought a rusted undercarrige for years, I do recall those challenges though. I've done enough that under two hours for would be easy on the e34 manual, hopefully mine never needs to come out, maybe I exaggerated a little

The OP admits to willing paying for the personal tutoring and involvement. Sounds like a good deal, it isn't a job people should fear. The actual repair of the trans... well that part was predictable.

Sorry for the multiple posts... just trying to catch up.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 PM
My other ride is ur wife

Mein Auto: 535is-m
what about an m5 clutch and lightweight flywheel as a replacement?

Get in, sit down, hang on, shut up!!
Old 03-19-2013, 10:06 PM

yeah, on that flywheel idea, Dan. The information I am getting is that the stock dual mass flywheel on this e34 is not that great and that this would be a good time to replace it with a lighter rotating mass flywheel so thanks for confirming that. Do you know where I can find the M5 clutch kit and that lightweight flywheel, I would really like to get that on? Thanks, that's the kind of input I was looking for.

at this point, labor has been expended to remove the old tranny and identify the lousy flywheel as being responsible for unnecessary wear on the clutch. Upgrading the flywheel could be a considerable performance upgrade but is also looking like it would add about $500 and that would be without pricing the M5 clutch kit but anyway if I didn't spend it on this, my wife would just spend it on shoes anyway, so this is a win-win

oh we'll get to see that old transmission open, I noticed that somebody was very angry about that. We'll definitely see that and I'll take some good pictures, I promise. I just need to figure out what I'm going to do here about getting a new one in there first if that's cool

because snowsled makes a great point that there's nothing wrong with the stock parts on this car but Dan does make a good point that has been confirmed by others that the dual mass flywheel on this particular e34 can be upgraded significantly by replacing it with a lighter rotating mass flywheel so I just want to check out all the information on that before buying the final parts.

Last edited by manuelwindows; 03-19-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
My other ride is ur wife

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/BMW-...flywheels.aspx

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...lywheel%20seal

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...91-93%29%20%20

They're just a couple of links, Google is your best friend here!! i assume the 530i flywheel is the same as the 540i, though i have not looked into it, you need to do that.. next find out if the m5 clutch aligns with your flywheel.. it does on the 535i, but possilbly because of the engine layout of the 530i it could differ.. look into it!! i'm going to look into it too just out of curiosity....

Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 PM

Thanks, Dan. I have been using google a lot here and looking at various threads. It looks like people have been doing an upgrade from the stock dual mass flywheel in this car for performance issue and also because it can lead to the type of problem that got me stuck in second gear although I cannot say for sure that it was the cause. I have seen in some fora where people have upgraded from the stock 1994 530i to a floating mass flywheel and so if I can just get some more confirmation on part numbers and bolts and such lining up, this is something I am interested in doing but I am currently looking into it as well myself and thanks!
Old 03-19-2013, 11:35 PM
My other ride is ur wife

Well after looking it up myself I will be doing a conversion myself when the time comes.. My release bearing is currently makin noise so I'll replace everything in a couple of months, the e28 flywheel and clutch fit my car, so that's the route I'll go.. I figure I've a couple of months to source, save and buy the parts online!!

How is your budget now after everything so far??

Old 03-20-2013, 04:59 AM
The Ornery Old Man

I would be kind of surprised if an M30/S38 flywheel would fit the V8, maybe but I doubt it.

The e28 single mass is a great upgrade for the big six engines, lighter and pretty inexpensive. Replacing a dual mass with a single mass is the ticket, I have done it on several vehicles with very good results.

Just a matter of finding what fits your car.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 03-20-2013, 05:55 AM
My other ride is ur wife

Hey Sled, I have been researching this upgrade all day, and I am definitely goin to go ahead with the e28 m5 flywheel and clutch when I replace my clutch in a couple of months!! Have you this mod currently on your 535??

Old 03-20-2013, 07:21 AM

Dan, did you get a specific result as to which flywheel and which clutch from what other models would go in a '94 530i? Dan, is your vehicle a V-6 or the V-8?

My research suggests that one of those floating flywheels from your links would work in my V-8, but now I need to make sure I get the right clutch kit to match it. Thanks again for your input here.

I am inclined to just go with the stock parts to avoid some kind of compatibility disaster and yet that floating flywheel just looks so pretty ....
Old 03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
BMW CCA Memeber #445389

Mein Auto: M50 Big Body
Quote:
Dan, is your vehicle a V-6 or the V-8?

We all know I am the last person to keep quiet in a controversial thread but I have bit my tongue.

But that can not be allowed in a BMW forum. please dude, for the love of all thats holy, if BMW is recognizable by ANYHTING other than kidney grills and a blue and white roundel, its the fact that they dont do "V6"s. EVER.

1995 525iA 250k mi
2006 325i/6 57k mi
2003 350Z 88k mi

Instagram: @Titan_E34
Snapchat: Titan_E34
Old 03-20-2013, 07:58 AM

excuse my terminology. the question is whether he has the six cylinder engine or the larger eight cylinder in his vehicle. Thank you for correcting me. I am here humbly to learn and don't know as much as many of you.

FYI, I called Bavarian Auto Recycling to get the trans.: $650 + $70 shipping. 5-7 days for delivery. Fortunately, the 1977 320i is a sturdy back-up.

Then I asked about flywheel for this model. The guy said he had a dual mass flywheel for my vehicle but the interesting part is that the flywheel for the 540i e34 was a floating mass flywheel and that he said that flywheel was always selling out and that he suspected this was because it was either not a great flywheel OR that people were using it for conversions. I think people are using it to convert from the dual mass flywheel.

It looks like the 1992 - 1996 e34 M5 came with the S38 straight-6 engine and that in 1992, and that one of the notable improvements in 1992 from the earlier version was that this newer S38 also came with the floating flywheel. Why BMW continued to use a dual mass flywheel in e34s after 1992, knowing that the floating was better, that's also a good question but not going to help me at the moment.

So my question comes back to: 1) since I have the M60 8 cylinder, will a flywheel from an S38 straight 6 or from a '94 540i work with the stock transmission in a '94 530i; and 2) if a floating flywheel is compatible, what kind of clutch kit should I get that would also be compatible?

Thanks again for all the input here

OK, more new info. A bunch of searching found one performance floating flywheel (aluminum) for a '94 530i for about $700. So for that price, I think I can live with the stock flywheel as the feedback on that "performance" flywheel suggests some improvement in acceleration and shifting but more than one review has noted chattering at higher speeds. Plus, it's not stock and shoot, I've got 175,000 miles on this car, not looking to be a hero, just hope to get another 75 -100k out of it and don't plan to be driving on the Autobahn in the near future unfortunately.

Question:

Can the flywheel on this vehicle be disassembled in a way that it can be taken apart in order to resurface the flywheel? Has anybody disassembled or resurfaced the flywheel in this car?

Last edited by manuelwindows; 03-20-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:59 AM
FCK HONDA

really?

Quote:
excuse my terminology. the question is whether he has the six cylinder engine or the larger eight cylinder in his vehicle. Thank you for correcting me. I am here humbly to learn and don't know as much as many of you.

FYI, I called Bavarian Auto Recycling to get the trans.: $650 + $70 shipping. 5-7 days for delivery. Fortunately, the 1977 320i is a sturdy back-up.

Then I asked about flywheel for this model. The guy said he had a dual mass flywheel for my vehicle but the interesting part is that the flywheel for the 540i e34 was a floating mass flywheel and that he said that flywheel was always selling out and that he suspected this was because it was either not a great flywheel OR that people were using it for conversions. I think people are using it to convert from the dual mass flywheel.

It looks like the 1992 - 1996 e34 M5 came with the S38 straight-6 engine and that in 1992, and that one of the notable improvements in 1992 from the earlier version was that this newer S38 also came with the floating flywheel. Why BMW continued to use a dual mass flywheel in e34s after 1992, knowing that the floating was better, that's also a good question but not going to help me at the moment.

So my question comes back to: 1) since I have the M60 8 cylinder, will a flywheel from an S38 straight 6 or from a '94 540i work with the stock transmission in a '94 530i; and 2) if a floating flywheel is compatible, what kind of clutch kit should I get that would also be compatible?

Thanks again for all the input here
ARE YOU MODDED?

are you making more power and using it alot? what do you need with hundred$ in clutch upgrades for?

im sure they make heavy duty factory replacement clutch kits that will last as long as long or longer than the factory one.. just order what is wright for your car... it will thank you.

and no more head aches/unexpected problems

**** honda / **** jdm

Last edited by imae34driver; 03-20-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:25 AM

yes, 34driver, after all my research and talking to the mechanic, I am inclined to agree with you.

So I just got a compatible dual mass flywheel from Bavarian Auto Recycling from an M5 that was described to me as "cherry" and without any kind of grooves or hot spots, which is what I was looking for. $150, that's pretty good compared to the $400 - $700 for a new one.

The dual mass flywheel cannot be resurfaced, by the way, so if it's grooved up like mine is, it will keep slipping and eventually fail so I'm in for the new flywheel. I am abandoning the performance upgrades on this thing, as per 34driver's suggestions.

Just a new flywheel without grooves should be a significant improvement.

I will be posting pictures of all this stuff but I have a job I need to go to for most of the day cause I've spend the early morning making calls to get these parts. I took those pictures on my day off and will take more pictures soon. I have to pay for this somehow. a week for the tranny and flywheel to arrive.

Anybody got a suggestion for a clutch kit? Sachs or Luk?

Also, the mechanic is making a tool to take apart the old tranny on his own time because he is curious. I am also really curious and there will be pics.

Another update. The parts guy at Bavarian Auto Recycling fortunately had a '94 540i in which he put in the five speed from the 530i because he likes that better for drifting. Then apparently, he put that assembly in a pick-up truck. He said that it is pretty much one of a kind. He said that he runs the same dual mass flywheel from the 530i in his 540i despite the different engine and visually inspected and verified that the dual mass flywheel from the M5 was the same flywheel, though the one detail I am not sure about is what year the M5 was.

also, Bavarian Autosport had a new factory flywheel for $1250.00 so I am going to take my chances with the used one from Bavarian Auto Recycling for $150.

Last edited by manuelwindows; 03-20-2013 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuelwindows
Just a new flywheel without grooves should be a significant improvement.
Bingo.

Funny thing about clutches. When a person doesn't drive like an absolute @ss, they actually last a really long time.

The only reason you read so much about spent clutches on E34's is because of all the egg heads that can't comprehend that the car is not a 1/4 mile machine but drive it like it is, in combination with budgets that can't afford the penalty of replacing the all the parts for doing so.

They beat the snot out of it, crap their pants at the price for the correct fix, figure they will only change the disc, and voila' ....another E34 with a junk clutch is born. Then they whine about it....or worse yet, sell it to another person that's never owned a BMW, and they whine about it.

The good news is it's not unreasonable to get 130-150k out of the stock Sachs unit. My car's first one lasted 130k in Atlanta...and if you have have ever driven in and around Atlanta for a year, you'd appreciate the significance of that statement.

What ever replacement parts you use, replace it correctly, drive it well, and you won't have to worry about it for the next 6-8 years.

Last edited by Radian; 03-20-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
FCK HONDA

alot of beating on and off road, racing, launches and drifts.. never killed a clutch.. freshly installed 33" tires on a 2wd s10 stuck in 3 feet of mud up hill.. thats the only way i have ever had a clutch fail me..

ONLY HAD 130K ON IT..

as a tech and salesman at dealerships i drove hundreds of cars, driven correctly even hard.. i do not see why a clutch would ever fail..

(just wear out of a long ass time) 10-20 years 5-10 racing witch is not quick enough to blame it on abuse!

**** honda

Last edited by imae34driver; 03-20-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 04:55 PM
My other ride is ur wife

I never found out what I said I would because I got side-tracked looking up parts for my own car :P

Though I still curious..

Is the 530 V8 not the same block as the 540 V8? Just bored out to I higher cc??