Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X5 4.8is
Blue Smoke on Idle. 2006 4.8is.

I have a 2006 BMW X5 4.8is. I have been having the blue smoke on extended idle issue. I am pretty sure it is the valve stem seals, but wanted to make sure that I have correctly diagnosed the issue before taking the plunge.

I usually see the smoke when I am in stop and go traffic, or going through a drive thru. When I am finally able to give the vehicle a lot of throttle, it spits out a big plume of smoke. I do not notice smoking while driving down the road. I do not have smoke when I first start the vehicle in the morning, or any time it's been just sitting turned off.

I tried to get the smoke to start yesterday in my garage, but it wouldn't smoke unless I got in the car and moved it around a little big in a stop and go fashion. But once I got it smoking it smoked real well.

The lack of smoke when the car starts makes me wonder if it really is the valve stem seals. I have always been under the impression that bad valve stem seals would cause a plume of smoke upon start up, but then once the car warmed up would stop smoking.

I already changed the PCV valves and it didn't change anything, and there was nothing wrong with the valves I replaced. Any help would be appreciated. I read in another forum of someone having the same problem and replaced a bunch of seals and gaskets under the valve covers, didn't replace the valve stem seals, and it fixed his problem.

I'd like to avoid pulling the cams if I can.
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 4.8iS
I would say its the valve stem seals as well.