Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 F01 SPORT
Transmission Slam - '09 F01!

Hi all,
I recently purchased an '09 750i F01 CPO and it still has about 6 months worth of original factory warranty left. After about a week or so of driving around, I noticed a slight hesitation in the tranny going from 2nd gear to 3rd. In NORMAL mode, it's not all that noticeable but the slight "slam" is there. However, in SPORT modes, the shifting gives you a good kick in the pants!!

Anyone else have this issue with the tranny? There is no other error stored in the vehicle's many control modules. The slam is more noticeable when the car/tranny is cold, generally in the morning.

I've now taken to my local dealership 3 times to get this resolved. But, all three times, they socked it up as a normal shifting behavior in SPORT modes. I called BS!!! I test drove other '09s and '10s and the so called "normal" behavior could not be reproduced. I got in touch with the Service Director of the dealership and let him know how dissatisfied I was that the techs where classifying the problem as normal. I even took their Sr. Shop Foreman for a drive and let him feel the kick in the pants.

To make the long story short, I am now talking with BMW NAs Regional Management Team for a decision on the next course of action. They are making a decision by the end of this week. They are not telling me what options they are considering but I won't be backing away from this without at least a brand new (RMFG) transmission! And they know that I am not f'ing around. I am in Cali so I have the CA Lemon Law to be the wind on my back to apply more pressure if needed.
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2013, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: 09 750i M Sport
Please keep us updated on BMW NA's response. I have 5 months left on my factory warranty and I've noticed more of a transmission jerk in normal, when going from 2nd gear to 1st. It is less pronounced in SPORT or any other mode, but I'm definitely going to keep a close eye on it. It is not as jerky as you are describing but anything can happen..
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 AM

Will do. Although most of the power train would still be covered by the CPO, it just takes the whole "what's covered vs. what's not" discussion out as it's still under the original warranty. I am also having the dealership replace the AC fan control and the Engine Start/Stop button as they are peeling.
Old 03-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Ah ****. I had that issue with my 2007. I didn't know it was an issue with the F01's as well. Mine was under the original warranty so the dealer just swapped some kind of transmission control module and the problem went away. Was in the shop for just a day or two.

2013 750i Mineral White
Previous Bimmers:
2011 750i Jet Black
2007 750i Monaco Blue
Old 03-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Yeah... I understand that they used the same ZF 6-speed from the E65/66 in the new chassis. I even tried the famous 25-sec tranny memory reset procedure on it to see if it'll smooth out. No luck. My E65 was so smooth compared to this one from 2 to 3. I love the getup and go on the F01 though.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Has anyone pinned down how to reproduce this? I too have something similar, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to reproduce it.

Best I can come up with is that when the car is cold, the transmission sticks in first (or second?) gear too long and upshifts abruptly when you're not expecting it to - as you may not be giving the car gas (a delayed upshift when the car isn't still accelerating), and it sort of lurches forward.

Otherwise, has anyone had problems in Sport Mode while coasting slowly and you try to come to a smooth stop (not having gone fast previously), where it feels as though the car is skipping / hopping to a stop? This problem is far more noticeable / forceful (something obviously being wrong) than the other problem above, but is more intermittent...

Last edited by dbs600; 03-19-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
I had the same exact issue. Dealer said they couldn't reproduce the issue and that no codes were stored. They cleared the transmission adaptation values and it is better but I expect it to return. Had the same issue with my E65.

Last edited by wjjklj; 03-19-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: wording
Old 03-19-2013, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamG13 View Post
Ah ****. I had that issue with my 2007. I didn't know it was an issue with the F01's as well. Mine was under the original warranty so the dealer just swapped some kind of transmission control module and the problem went away. Was in the shop for just a day or two.
Same trans same problem - hopefully the 8 speed doesn't have it.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Wow! that really sucks. this is a issue BMW really needs to address this issue. For the last 7 years still having transmission problems. I wish you the best man.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
Has anyone pinned down how to reproduce this? I too have something similar, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to reproduce it.

Best I can come up with is that when the car is cold, the transmission sticks in first (or second?) gear too long and upshifts abruptly when you're not expecting it to - as you may not be giving the car gas (a delayed upshift when the car isn't still accelerating), and it sort of lurches forward.

Otherwise, has anyone had problems in Sport Mode while coasting slowly and you try to come to a smooth stop (not having gone fast previously), where it feels as though the car is skipping / hopping to a stop? This problem is far more noticeable / forceful (something obviously being wrong) than the other problem above, but is more intermittent...
The "skip" or "hopping" is probably the transmission downshifting. In SPORT mode, the computer holds on to the gears a bit longer on upshifts and down. If you are feeling the jerk, that's the transmission slam going the other way.

Try to reproduce the slam by putting the car into manual shift mode. See if the car shifts properly when you flick the shifts in various RPMs. Do this both going up and down in gears.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOPAULY View Post
Well, not exactly. The tranny is now hooked up to an engine that is far more powerful. 40+ bhp and 80+ lb ft of torque to handle. So it had to have introduced some challenges but I am sure it was ironed out my reprogramming the shifting algorithms.

Anyways, I think the 8-speed is quite a bit better. However, I didn't want the 8-speed. When I test drove the 2010's and up, the car was shifting constantly trying to find the upper gears as soon as possible to save fuel. Not sure if I liked that. And I personally HATE the Efficient Dynamic garbage in the 2010's and up. I don't think saving a few dollars on gas every week should come at a sacrifice of drivability of the Ultimate Driving Machine.

Last edited by coole65i; 03-20-2013 at 01:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjjklj View Post
I had the same exact issue. Dealer said they couldn't reproduce the issue and that no codes were stored. They cleared the transmission adaptation values and it is better but I expect it to return. Had the same issue with my E65.
Just curious, did you try the 25-sec reset method with the F01? I know it worked like a charm on our E65s but not sure the same method works on the F01 even though it's the same tranny.

Last edited by coole65i; 03-20-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coole65i View Post
Just curious, did you try the 25-sec reset method with the F01? I know it worked like a charm on our E65s but not sure the same method works on the F01 even though it's the same tranny.
I didn't try it. I had the dealer clear the adaptations with their software. I asked my service rep if the 25 second trick with the gas pedal works on this model and he said "yes".
Old 03-25-2013, 04:28 AM
Faisal's Profile

Mein Auto: BMW 530
I have tried doing the 25 second trick, but haven't noticed any difference, still pounces ahead during the gear shift. Even had the adaptation cleared. No luck.

It still seems like a minor deterrent, but makes me a bit over conscious while i'm driving... as if i can help the situation :P
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
Quote:
Actually, it's not the same transmission, at least not according to the part number. Also, the mechatronic unit looks a bit different. So I think it has been (in some way) modified, of course based on the old one.

Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 PM

A quick update. It's been 2 weeks (6 business days) since my last communication with BMW NA. They are sending out a Factory Trained Engineer to examine the issue which is scheduled for next week. I guess the FTE needs to confirm the reported concern and has a big say in authorizing further repairs. I was mad at BMW NA for taking 6 days to make that decision and demanded they speed up the whole dang process. We shall see what comes of communicating my discontent.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:31 AM
Unregistered Unuser

Mein Auto: F02
be strong, dude

f01 750ers has a common problem with their gearboxes - you will be surprised how many 750s are on the gearbox exchange or repair at the dealers
the problem touches exactly 750 model
i guess it's the wrong torque load calculations by engineers - they added more aluminium parts to the gearboxes of f01 (as I saw in papers on 7er) and forgot about the power of 750 engine

attack them!
Old 03-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ra) View Post
be strong, dude

f01 750ers has a common problem with their gearboxes - you will be surprised how many 750s are on the gearbox exchange or repair at the dealers
the problem touches exactly 750 model
i guess it's the wrong torque load calculations by engineers - they added more aluminium parts to the gearboxes of f01 (as I saw in papers on 7er) and forgot about the power of 750 engine

attack them!
Thanks for the vote of confidence!
I don't plan to back down until my car gets a new tranny!!!
I am scheduled to take it in on Monday to meet up with the BMW NA factory tech. I figure I won't see my car for at least a week after that until they order me a new tranny and install it.

Last edited by coole65i; 03-26-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:58 PM

Ok, so I had that test drive session with the BMW NA special engineer this morning. I am happy to report that it didn't take but 10 minutes before the tech said, "Yeah, that's not right, I am sorry you had to deal with this! We'll take care of it from here." So, I believe a new transmission is on order and if all goes well my F01 will be back in my hands by the end of the week. I am in a brand new 2013 F10 528i until the repairs are completed. So, KUDOs to BMW NA for stepping up. I am a happy camper for now but stay tuned for all the details of the repair. I have my SA watching over this whole thing like a hawk!

Last edited by coole65i; 04-02-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i X Drive
I had the issue in my 2006 750i and after 3 attempts to fix it, they finally said it was the guibo. Not even sure what a guibo is.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:23 PM

LOL, guibo is a really hard piece of polyurethane (disc) that connects the drive shaft to the differential. It does go bad due to all the twisting and causes weird transmission shifts.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
Guibo is the rubber isolated disc connecting the trans to the driveshaft - in a domestic vehicle it would be known as a u-joint. They are good for roughly 50k miles before you start to hear a clunk from the rubber deterioration.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Guibo is the rubber isolated disc connecting the trans to the driveshaft - in a domestic vehicle it would be known as a u-joint. They are good for roughly 50k miles before you start to hear a clunk from the rubber deterioration.
Right, my bad.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM

I have a similar issue 09 F01 750i, 35K miles. The car tends to jerk forward when I come to a stop. I took it to the dealer about a week ago. Couple of days ago they talk about some sort of puma case. Today I've been informed that a new transmission is coming from Germany. Hopefully that fixes it.
Old 04-19-2013, 11:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox View Post
I have a similar issue 09 F01 750i, 35K miles. The car tends to jerk forward when I come to a stop. I took it to the dealer about a week ago. Couple of days ago they talk about some sort of puma case. Today I've been informed that a new transmission is coming from Germany. Hopefully that fixes it.
Same happens to mine intermittently in Sport mode.

How consistently does it happen on yours? In Normal mode too?