Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: E66 745li
Question E65/E66 Radio (no) Reception

Hey guys, new to your forum today. I have just bought (last week) a 745li. One problem that I found out after owning it for day was that the radio doesnt work. It shows FM, AM etc but when I scan all i get is noise and no stations received. (like an antenna issue). Cd function works fine.

I have investigated roughly how the E65/66 audio system is put togther. I then preceded to uncover the left hand side panel pillar near the rear windscreen to find the two modules there. One is an antenna divervisty unit? Could this be the cause? The other is like the radio module. I unplugged the radio module and at that point no audio for pdc sensors or cd was working. I concluded that, that module is working. I have no aftermarket tints on my rear window, as I have seen this can affect reception.

I then found out there is another two modules the other side, amplifier modules again!

In conslusion my questions are,

a) Has anyone else had this happen? to share there experiences and or fixes.
b) Anyone have any input or theories to what isn't working and what I should change? ( I have orded a diveristy unit off ebay with part no 6903458-03, to see if i might solve it)
c) If i do have a new module to fix this issue do I "have" to get it coded for it to work, conflicting nformation floating around on the web.

All the best,

Thanks

Tom, Leeds UK
Ads by Google
Old 03-19-2013, 08:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65 745i
Before you get inundated with people shouting SEARCH, I'll offer up what I can ^^

Since you can use the controls, and are getting sound, it should NOT be your ASK (the cd player in the dash).

It should be the tuner module (is this called a diversity unit? I'm not sure). I believe it is relatively common for there to be tuner problems and they are usually fixed by replacing the tuner.

If you are replacing the tuner, if the one you have bought is significantly newer / older than your old one, you may need to change a line of coding on your ASK to make it work - I can help with that.

Welcome to bimmerfest, and I'll let you off on the questions that may have been answered before as I can imagine a search would turn up a lot of different and irrelevant information.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:40 AM

Hi,

Thanks for that, I have searched all around the internet but had no difnative information. Plus a lot of people mentioned poor reception not total loss. Umm for the tuner module is the metal module (not white plastic one). That is optical fibe going into it? I have bough a whote plastic one next to it that has co ax going into it.

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-19-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtimmyturbo View Post
Hi,

Thanks for that, I have searched all around the internet but had no difnative information. Plus a lot of people mentioned poor reception not total loss. Umm for the tuner module is the metal module (not white plastic one). That is optical fibe going into it? I have bough a whote plastic one next to it that has co ax going into it.

Thanks

Tom
I've not had to switch mine out myself, but I believe the tuner is the one with the optical connections.

After changing a coaxial module you shouldn't have any coding issues, but I'm also not sure if it will fix your problem, though since you hear static, hopefully the control module is working fine, and your diversity module (assuming it has something to do with receiving / attachment to the antenna) may solve the problem.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM

Do you know anything of the other modules on the other side (drivers side for uk or passenger side for US)

Yere I assumed that silver metal module box with optical input wernt just a tuner.

Wish I could find a 7 series being broken nearby and ask to try each module one by one, if i keep replacing them I reckon I end up spending 300 quid odd!

Thanks,

Tom
Old 03-19-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
you mention the car has no tint, make sure it didnt use to have tint and now a few lines are missing, from a poor removal. also the antenna is in the rear window so turn on the rear defrost and see if that worsens or improves the problem. When I had a 745 I had the rear glass replaced because of this. I had static though
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM

I'm afraid I haven't taken anything out of the pillar before, but I'm sure someone can tell you what everything is

Anything on the optical bus is part of the infotainment system though.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:22 AM

Unhappy Still no luck

My amplifier diversity unit arrived today plugged it in and still no radio reception. I have noticed a strip or two on heated windscreen isn't working would this make a difference? What does everyone reckon go to the other side and swap the other amplifier type things for radio?

Like I said CD player and any audio works fine, just can't find any radio reception at all.

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i & 350Z TT
i"d trace the antenna back to where ever it plugs into. Its usually a round plug for most other cars. I haven't pulled mine out yet to see if its the same on the 7s. Sounds like this is unplugged. If someone had a system in the car before, this might have not be plugged back in. Check that before you buy more parts.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i E46, 735i E65
have same problem......bought the tuner antenna...trying hard to fix it
Old 03-25-2013, 08:57 AM

Both c pillar covers are off. There is no antenna lead on the head unit called arc? as I guess it doesn't have anything to do with tuner which is in one of pillars. No leads unplugged. Anyone know what all these four modules in the c pillars actually do? I know the silver one with optical input is radio module? When unplugged no sounds come from PDc or any cd etc? The white module also with is is called an amp diversity unit the one I replaced. There other side has another unit similar to this and a module for heated screen maybe? Just don't know what else I can do, keep replacing modules?

Thinking of possibility of no radio and giving up

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-25-2013, 09:06 AM

Here is a link on eBay for the two modules found on one side of one of the c pillars.
http://bit.ly/11Dn370

The silver one is the optical one and I think does radio and controls other stuff hence when unplugged no sound for PDc or CD player. The other is this diversity unit which I replaced, with no success.

The other side has a similar module and a smaller one(rear heated window)

Tom
Old 03-25-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: E65 750i Sport,C5 z51 e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtimmyturbo View Post
My amplifier diversity unit arrived today plugged it in and still no radio reception. I have noticed a strip or two on heated windscreen isn't working would this make a difference? What does everyone reckon go to the other side and swap the other amplifier type things for radio?

Like I said CD player and any audio works fine, just can't find any radio reception at all.

Thanks

Tom
Yes that could be it, there is a kit
Fix this.
e46 328i Prem Aw18" 335spt whls(sold)
c5 Corvette 6sp,z51,2"drp,19"ccw'sshrt shft,corsa exh,dd nav
e53 X5 3.0, pana rf,nav,xenon,cldweather, premium.ipod hookup, 20"4.6rims staggered 315rrs.
e65 750I aw, sport. chrome21's,acs pdls,acs rfsplr,mtecs,8k hid fogs,Leds.oem ipod&sirius
Srt10 VIPER, 19-20" rennen forgedwheels,tune,exhaust,intake.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:47 AM

I bought one used antenna tuner and got it fixed into my car. now i am able to scan through the station and station names showup on the screen but no sound is coming from the speakers only for radio. any ideas where and what else can i check or change ? (cd works fine but subs are not working (amp blown) )
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM

You need to recode your ASK for the antenna.

I assume you replaced it with one that was on the other side of the facelift.

If you have the pre facelift ASK I don't know if that will work with the facelift tuner.

You can code (at least some, I have done this in my car however someone else said it didn't work for them) a facelift ASK to operate a pre facelift tuner though.

Last edited by Piers1989; 03-26-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers1989 View Post
You need to recode your ASK for the antenna.

I assume you replaced it with one that was on the other side of the facelift.

If you have the pre facelift ASK I don't know if that will work with the facelift tuner.

You can code (at least some, I have done this in my car however someone else said it didn't work for them) a facelift ASK to operate a pre facelift tuner though.
thanks for that....

i looked up for the part number i bought (65126922822) its showing as something which came from a 2003 car....

but anyways i have changed the ASK unit as well due to front speakers not working

can you / anyone tell me how to write VIN to my changed ASK unit ? tried google but no useful information found (coding is such a mess)

i have INPA / DIS / Winkfp working (SSS says my car is of different version which it cannot handle )

i will be very thankful to you
Old 03-26-2013, 05:34 PM

Just to note I did not change the VIN on my ASK unit and it works perfectly.

I think if you want to change the VIN you can use TOOL32.

What year is your car?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piers1989 View Post
just to note i did not change the vin on my ask unit and it works perfectly.

I think if you want to change the vin you can use tool32.

What year is your car?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:07 AM

Sorry, I just noticed you said you changed your ASK unit too.

Did you get a ASK from a facelift car?
Old 03-27-2013, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Sorry, I just noticed you said you changed your ASK unit too.

Did you get a ASK from a facelift car?
Unfortunately not....
Old 03-27-2013, 06:22 AM

To be honest, as far as I was aware, if you had a pre facelift ASK and a pre facelift Antenna it should work, unless your replacement ASK has some weired coding changed on it.

Do you have INPA to check nothing is reporting problems?

If you do have the BMW tools would you be able to read the trace from your ASK and post it on here so we can have a look?
Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 AM

Quote:
To be honest, as far as I was aware, if you had a pre facelift ASK and a pre facelift Antenna it should work, unless your replacement ASK has some weired coding changed on it.

Do you have INPA to check nothing is reporting problems?

If you do have the BMW tools would you be able to read the trace from your ASK and post it on here so we can have a look?
INPA is reporting problems as attached in TEL (D691), NAV (D7E4) and ASK (D8CF). searched those codes but couldnt find any info

Trace using NCSExpert ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	368539  

Last edited by chowdarygm; 03-27-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:43 AM

Using INPA, do a diagnostic on the ASK seperatley and it will give you more information.

Rather than selecting functional jobs then pressing read EM, select communication systems, audio system controller/kontroller then press read EM.

I assume you have not used NCS Expert before?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Using INPA, do a diagnostic on the ASK seperatley and it will give you more information.

Rather than selecting functional jobs then pressing read EM, select communication systems, audio system controller/kontroller then press read EM.

I assume you have not used NCS Expert before?
will do that with INPA today and let you know the result.

yes, i have opened NCSExpert and pressed some buttons but not to the extent of using it confidently
Old 03-27-2013, 08:33 AM

So long as NCS Expert is working properly on your machine, it is not hard to just read a trace from a module.

Some instructions I made for a PM to another member -

Quote:
Press F1 (The VIN/ZCS/FA button), then press F3 (ZCS/FA f. ECU).

It should download your chassis number and ask you to pick CAS or LMA. Always pick CAS.

(If you've got to this stage without an error then your program should be working )

Now press F6 (Back)

One of the options is now called Choose ECU (F1 I think, I'm not plugged into my car right now to check).

After choosing there is a button to "Read ECU" (I think). This takes a few seconds then a nettodata trace appears on the screen. You can close that, its useless.

Open your NCSEXPERT folder, then the folder called WORK. The file called FSW_PSW.trc contains the coding for the module you just read.
Just open the .trc (trace file) with notepad, and copy and paste it to the forum.

Last edited by Piers1989; 03-27-2013 at 08:34 AM.