Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 02 s55 AMG,02 540i
V8 Cooling system overhaul

Hello all , So I have read mounds of info on the E39 cooling system. I'm wanting to overhaul my cooling in my 02 540i Automatic and have not yet found a list of parts to complete the job. I have only found the list for the I6. Also I will be having my indy do the work,How much labor will this job require? Would someone please throw me a bone? Thanks ahead for any info given.
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2013, 02:28 PM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
The components are essentially the same (radiator, water pump, expansion tank, thermostat, tensioners, pulleys, belts, hoses, etc.). The component P/Ns are different. Go onto RealOEM.com, input your model and build date, etc and pull the P/Ns from the diagrams. Easy day! Will your indy let you buy the parts or will he order them? A reasonably competent mechanic should be able to do this job in 4 hrs. 3 hrs for someone really good and 6 hrs for DIY.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM

Yes my indy will let me bring the parts. I have a small list here put together. I know how to get the part numbers from RealOEM just need a a parts list. thx for the input

Last edited by thecushion; 03-19-2013 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 528i
I recommend that you let them know which parts you want installed and let them source them for the work. Most shops that I know of will not warranty work done with parts you provide, so if something breaks you would have to pay for the labor and part again. Unless this shop functions otherwise, then it doesn't matter.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:43 AM

OK so here is my list. If I am missing anything would someone please let me know. Thanks ahead

Radiator
A/C belt
A/C belt tensioner shock
Expansion tank
Expansion tank bleed screw
Expansion tank hose
Expansion tank mount clip
Expansion tank cap
x2 Gallons of coolant
Fan blade
Fan clutch
Idler pulley
Upper radiator hose
Lower radiator hose
x2 Radiator mounts
Main belt "alternator & water pump"
Thermostat assembly
Thermostat O-Ring
Water pump
x2 Water pump O-Ring "large & small"
Water pump pulley

All parts will be OEM as well
Old 03-20-2013, 11:41 AM

Mein Auto: 99 540/6
To that list add:
Valley pan seal
Valley pan cover
4 heater hoses
2 water accumulator gaskets
2 rear water pipe o-rings
4 intake manifold gaskets

That is what you will need, if you plan to remove the intake manifold and do the job right. The valley pan will more than likely be leaking if it has not yet been replaced, and you must remove the intake to replace that seal. Also, it makes it much easier to replace the 2 paper gaskets for the water accumulator. That's an aluminum pipe that goes across the rear of the block and connects the water jackets for the cylinders. It's is easier to replace the heater hoses into the firewall with the intake removed.

If, while the intake is removed, you wish to do the ccv, and associated gaskets, you will need:
Throttle body gasket
Front cover gasket
Rear cover w/ integrated ccv(some call this an oil separator valve, not to be confused w/ the oil separator in the front of the engine)
Crank case vent pipe
10 rubber grommeted fasteners

I may be missing a few odds and ends, but to do a proper cooling system overhaul on the M62, the valley pan seal and water accumulator gaskets must be replaced. You can just remove the intake manifold to do these, and then replace with the 4 new gaskets; however, you might as well do the ccv/gaskets, while it's out of the car. It's about a half hour's work and $100 in parts. Good luck with the overhaul!

Edit: There is also a tensioner for the water pump/alternator belt. Also, I've heard it recommended a few times to replace the water pump pulley. It's a plastic part, and plastis doesn't seem to do to well in the 540 engine bay, but I and many others still have the original pulley at 150k mi. The reason I brought it up, is rmeuropean.com sells an aluminum pulley that is a direct replacement for the plastic 540 one. It's made by URO parts, and they're not known for producing the highest quality parts, but how bad could you screw up an aluminum pulley. Anyway, it's $18 and I thought maybe you could tell us how it works if you bought it.

Last edited by DK540; 03-20-2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 03-20-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK540 View Post
To that list add:
Valley pan seal
Valley pan cover
4 heater hoses
2 water accumulator gaskets
2 rear water pipe o-rings
4 intake manifold gaskets

That is what you will need, if you plan to remove the intake manifold and do the job right. The valley pan will more than likely be leaking if it has not yet been replaced, and you must remove the intake to replace that seal. Also, it makes it much easier to replace the 2 paper gaskets for the water accumulator. That's an aluminum pipe that goes across the rear of the block and connects the water jackets for the cylinders. It's is easier to replace the heater hoses into the firewall with the intake removed.

If, while the intake is removed, you wish to do the ccv, and associated gaskets, you will need:
Throttle body gasket
Front cover gasket
Rear cover w/ integrated ccv(some call this an oil separator valve, not to be confused w/ the oil separator in the front of the engine)
Crank case vent pipe
10 rubber grommeted fasteners

I may be missing a few odds and ends, but to do a proper cooling system overhaul on the M62, the valley pan seal and water accumulator gaskets must be replaced. You can just remove the intake manifold to do these, and then replace with the 4 new gaskets; however, you might as well do the ccv/gaskets, while it's out of the car. It's about a half hour's work and $100 in parts. Good luck with the overhaul!

Edit: There is also a tensioner for the water pump/alternator belt. Also, I've heard it recommended a few times to replace the water pump pulley. It's a plastic part, and plastis doesn't seem to do to well in the 540 engine bay, but I and many others still have the original pulley at 150k mi. The reason I brought it up, is rmeuropean.com sells an aluminum pulley that is a direct replacement for the plastic 540 one. It's made by URO parts, and they're not known for producing the highest quality parts, but how bad could you screw up an aluminum pulley. Anyway, it's $18 and I thought maybe you could tell us how it works if you bought it.
Thanks for the info, How much additional labor time will this job require? How much total in parts as well?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Isn't it nice spending someone else's money!
Don't forget the distilled water for the antifreeze.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 03-20-2013, 12:50 PM
**Bimmer DIYer**

Mein Auto: 00 740iL, 97 M3
You can use a kit like this too.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
Isn't it nice spending someone else's money!
Don't forget the distilled water for the antifreeze.
Haha! Merely suggestions... My list, combined with his, is exactly what I did all at once. Isn't it nice to have a problem free BMW?? Yes, it is! Lol
Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecushion View Post
Thanks for the info, How much additional labor time will this job require? How much total in parts as well?
The valley pan/intake job took me and my uncle about 5 hrs. I figure about 2 of that was spent cleaning parts n mating surfaces really well, which is something a mechanic would not do. The "front half" of the cooling system, as I call it(or, your list) took us about 3-4 hrs w/ 1 of those spent cleaning.

So, I would assume a competent Indy should be able to do the entire cooling system, and ccv/intake job in I'd guess 5 hrs? I'm just speculating though.

I managed to find an Indy who will price match the online guys on parts, and he has them there the same day usually. I'm a diy guy, but twice I've had him do work, and he still matches online prices on parts. Talk to your mechanic, and see if he will do something like that for you