Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 645Ci
Lock confirmation and cabin trunk release problem

I have an `04 645 and have recently started having some odd issues (with no alerts in iDrive). The first problem to happen was the cabin trunk release stopped working. The key-fob works fine when the car is off, but no matter the running state of the car, the trunk release inside won't do anything. Switch or fuse?

Another problem that happened a bit later was that the Door Lock Confirmation options won't enable in iDrive. I have the iDrive selection options for flash when lock/unlock and acoustic confirm when lock/unlock (4 options total), but when I select any of the 4, the checkbox clears itself after a second and the feature itself is otherwise not working. Would this be a sensor problem? Again, the iDrive vehicle info isn't reporting any failures of anything.

Any advice for either issue? I just installed a new battery, but these 2 problems existed before that.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Did you put a new battery in the car or key fob?
Old 03-18-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerbP View Post
Did you put a new battery in the car or key fob?
I just replaced the car battery today (key is still original), but I had both problems before that happened (a few months now). I did have some body work done before that...it is possible the shop disconnected the battery for some reason then. That said, both did not seem to happen at the same time. The cabin trunk release stopped working first. The other problem happened later...or at least I didn't notice it until later. Are they related?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:32 PM

When you disconnect the battery at times, it looses the programing that was coded to the key. You would have to have someone when some coding tools, to reprogram those functions. If your trunk is not opening by pressing the trunk unlock button, it sounds like someone has activated the valet function. On the 2004 model, I think you would put the key in the rear cup holder to enable/disable this function. You might need to check your manual, or download one from the BMW website.

Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2013, 03:05 PM

OK. I'll check the valet key slot. I was fooling with that myself without realizing its impact. I don't think there is any issue with my key since it still works fine for popping the trunk and doors locks. Either way, that doesn't sound like it has anything to do with the association of the lock confirmation options that I can't seem to enable...unless the valet key locks out changes to those settings?
Old 03-19-2013, 05:23 PM

It was the valet key setting that was preventing the trunk button from working. Thank you for the tip. The issue with the lock/unlock confirmation options in iDrive is still an issue, however.
Old 03-19-2013, 06:37 PM

The options will have to be programed into the key most likely. If you have a 2nd key, it still might have the same options stored into it. They can be programed with different functions by the dealer, or anyone that can do coding on a BMW.

Good Luck!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 PM

I got the car used with only 1 key. So the settings in iDrive are being overridden by settings stored in the key? I didn't realize the key had that capability. Would it be worth reinitializing my key? I know the steps for that.