Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5
Clean(er) iPhone 5 Integration & Snaking Wires Thru Dashboard

Hello all,
First time poster, first time X5 owner, first time BMW owner here.

After 1 month I've all but completely written off the Navigation / Voice Command / Mp3+AAC features of the X5 factory system. I've found that a single iPhone 5 at the center of all voice commands, calling, navigation, podcast playing, handsfree texting, Siri, etc is the way to go to stay safe on the road while getting what I need.

I've assembled all the pieces and parts and verified functionality / reliability / etc and am now ready to install.

My question for you all:
How easy is it going to be for me to complete a few wire runs from the center console all the way to area right above the tachometer?

My last car was an old Jeep wherein I could rip apart and reassemble the entire dash in an afternoon. I'm guessing this X5 won't be so easy.

I'm looking for the single connection to make an appearance right about here:

Here's the whole ugly diagram:

Any comments and advice are appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by derbis; 03-21-2013 at 10:28 AM. Reason: images
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
What functionality is the Apple Universal Dock giving you?

Last edited by RockChips; 03-20-2013 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks for asking! Here's a few of the benefit's I've seen:
  1. It's a clean "line out" signal that resets to the perfect level when connected and then resets to whatever volume phone was at prior to connection
  2. There's no popping / audio spikes when the phone is connected / disconnected
  3. One cable handles the audio and power
  4. It provides nice IR remote options
  5. There's some sort of IR magic at play wherein remotes don't need to be pointed directly at sensor, it can bounce of surfaces / multiple surfaces
  6. Old Apple remote is small enough that it can be stuck to back of steering well, effectively replicating steering wheel controls
  7. Multiple remotes can be hidden all over cab
  8. It doesn't get in the way of any calling; voice Bluetooth options can be enabled / disabled at will without any conflict
  9. It doesn't get in the way of Siri

Can't think of anything else at the moment but it's been the center of my car audio world for a few years now...
Old 03-20-2013, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
I would just connect the phone straight to the car, and have a mounting within reach.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:54 AM

Not sure I follow, but my question is basically:
Does anyone have any tips or comments about how to get the wires through the dashboard and console?
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Premium SAV
For some reason your pictures aren't coming through. It makes it hard to see what you're talking about.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:28 AM

Okay, I think I've got the images fixed
Old 03-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
To answer your question, the dashboard is PITA. Not cause its difficult, but its a very fragile process. You can search the web or the forum to find some CIC nav retrofits, they tear up the dash usually, so you can follow them. Be careful, as your introducing alot of flex into a tightly put together dash (aka Infamous BMW squeaks and rattles tend pop up after touching the dash, sometimes without it too lol)

Your routing is quite intricate, im guessing your an audiophile and techy who needs more functionality out of the system. Nice DIY idea there.

Note, you are for sure going to have to drill a line for your connector to come out above the tach. I would suggest, possibly looking into drilling into the frame of the Idrive screen (im pretty sure theres enough room to drill out, without killing the screen but thats a bit risky). You could also try the wire out near the center channel speaker, while the idrive screen is out.

Good luck!

NOTE: I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY OF ANY DAMAGE THAT OCCURS AS A RESULT OF TAKING MY SUGGESTIONS! YOUR VEHICLE, YOUR DAMAGE!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:18 PM

wow, lots of info, and I'm glad I asked here before starting. The last thing I want to do is introduce creaks and noise. I'm going to stay far away from any disassembly until the risk/benefit factor changes. Thanks-
Old 03-22-2013, 01:37 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbis View Post
Hello all,
First time poster, first time X5 owner, first time BMW owner here.

After 1 month I've all but completely written off the Navigation / Voice Command / Mp3+AAC features of the X5 factory system. I've found that a single iPhone 5 at the center of all voice commands, calling, navigation, podcast playing, handsfree texting, Siri, etc is the way to go to stay safe on the road while getting what I need.

I've assembled all the pieces and parts and verified functionality / reliability / etc and am now ready to install.

My question for you all:
How easy is it going to be for me to complete a few wire runs from the center console all the way to area right above the tachometer?

My last car was an old Jeep wherein I could rip apart and reassemble the entire dash in an afternoon. I'm guessing this X5 won't be so easy.

I'm looking for the single connection to make an appearance right about here:

Here's the whole ugly diagram:

Any comments and advice are appreciated, thanks!

Does your car have bluetooth?
Old 03-22-2013, 09:26 AM

Yes, good point, but if I'm forced to run 1 cable anyway for power and that same cable can also handle audio much more elegantly than bluetooth, I've not seen bluetooth as being a more attractive option yet...
Old 03-22-2013, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
I've tested the audio quality over bluetooth and find it to be much better than the analog cable connection. Also, all my settings are the same every time i get into the car. It starts playing without any cables and at the same volume. The music paused for navigation instructions and phone calls. I dont get what is the point running all this wiring and then adding a box, remotes to your steeting wheel, etc. You already have steerig wheel buttons that will control your iphone over bluetooth. It is such an elegant and easy solution. I would just run power and that's it.

Last edited by z51vette; 03-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.