Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-20-2013, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 M235i Xdrive
BMW Performance Exhaust-- Installed and thoughts (E92)

Updated impressions

For those still interested, I had the opportunity to drive a bit this past weekend. My fiance made several comments which may be of some interest. First, she didn't think the exhaust was too loud, and I could definitely see her grinning when I pushed the car past 6000 rpm while merging. Second, and more importantly, she independently commented that car "felt" smoother. This was most evident when flooring the accelerator-- the delay before the power kicked in appears to have been significantly reduced. I noticed that as well, but having her mention it was a nice confirmation.

Hi all,

You may remember I was waffling concerning the installation of the Performance Exhaust over the last several weeks. The following is my account of the first 15 miles after installation.

I was able to negotiate with my dealer to have the exhaust installed for $1200 inclusive of labor, shipping, tax, etc. Initially I was quoted several hundred dollars more, but I sent the parts manager a few links to Tischer and other dealerships offering the unit for less. In addition, we agreed that no more than one hour of labor would be charged for the product. Two emails later, we had our price.

My car was waiting for me when I arrived. The silver tips have a larger diameter than stock, but the OEM finish certainly remains. Moreover, the installation was precise, and I didn't have any issues with lopsided orientation or protrusion beyond the bumper. If anything, the tips appeared slightly more inset-- though, I can't verify that as true.

I lowered the driver's window and started the car. I remember laughing and I'm sure there are forum members on the West Coast that could see my smile in Philly. The sound was FANTASTIC. As others have described, it has a serious base laden growl that conveys refinement but also an exotic flair. My concerns about volume and taste were completely eliminated. I would not be embarrassed to start the car in front of a client and it is perfectly appropriate for someone my age (30). In fact, the volume is equivalent to a Mercedes SL, but the tone is significantly, um, rumblier (!).

Driving off, the grinning continued. Again, as others have mentioned, at the 1000-2000 RPM mark, I didn't detect additional volume. Rather, I felt, as one poster said, "the addition of a baritone voice" to the engine sound. Punching the accelerator ushered that voice equal to, and then surpassing the engine noise at wide open throttle. Again, this was not a jarring level of noise, nor would I even say it was louder, rather it was "fuller". Lowering the windows did confirm the extra noise that passersby are treated to, but it was by no means offensive. It rivaled any high-end sports car and had none of the trappings of "Modded Civic". It was as if I had the most satisfying deep sub-woofer tone resonating across the driver's side of my car with an epicenter near the trunk punctuating my decision to accelerate. Youtube clips did not prepare me at all for the in-person sound. Not at all.

I opened the car up a few times on the highway on the way home to see if I could feel any increased performance. In a word, the answer is Maybe. Maaaaaaybe there was a moment between 6000-7000 RPM where I felt my neck pushed back ever so slightly more than normal. Maybe. Ultimately, I knew this wasn't going to transform my car, and this is certainly more show than go. However, I won't say the "go" bit is a total zero. MPG effect is unknown-- but I did handle the drive a little differently. Namely, the car was in M mode for higher RPM goodness.

I am one satisfied customer.

PS: Don't let the dealership wash your car-- especially Jet Black. Even if 1. you specifically inquire about whether abrasive brushes are used; 2. you are assured that only soft cloth is used in a state-of-the-art machine designed from the ground up to wash BMWs in the in-house detailing department and/or 3. you express severe hesitation because you are a compulsive hand-washer and receive a guarantee from the SA that everything will be fine. My car came back full of scratches. I don't know whether the wash did it (probably did) or it was the techs working on the car. In any event, I was promised a full detail to my satisfaction with a trip to my preferred body and detail shop for everything up to and including a new paint job if the dealership can't restore the car to factory new (my shop has produced incredible work in the past but they charge a fortune).

PPS: My loaner was an F30. That could be an entirely separate post but in a nutshell, the no-line interior is absolutely a step-down for fit and finish. Even the upgraded tech on the dash and Speedo feels cheap. Also, when people talk about the light-steering being barely perceptible or that "sport" mode makes it feel like an E9X I'm here to tell you that is FANTASTICALLY off base. It felt like a Buick and ruined the entire driving experience. The car felt huge, had no road feel, and the extra power was a hindrance to the awful driving dynamics. I couldn't wait to have my car back. Next time, I'm asking for an X1 loaner!

Last edited by beenthere1130; 03-25-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Advertisement
Old 03-20-2013, 01:15 PM
New Guy

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
What system did you get? I just got a E92 and I'm in the market for a nice exhaust system.

Glad to hear all went well though.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:16 PM

I got the BMW performance exhaust. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...ustSystem.aspx
Old 03-20-2013, 01:18 PM
New Guy

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
Nice! Decent price, too. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
What the OP said ^^^^.

Have had mine for about 1000 miles and really enjoy it. I was really worried about drone and there is none of that. I put a Stillen performance exhaust on an Infiniti G35 and the drone was significant. I can wholeheartedly endorse the BMW PE for sound value. I don't know about performance difference because I had it put on at the same time as I had the Dinan S3 and FMIC installed. So there was a significant performance increase but the PE was just a piece of the puzzle. I also had it installed for about $1200. Like the OP I told the dealership I could get the PE all day on ebay for $1099. They balked at first but matched it.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 328i, 06' Z4 3.0
Congrats and nice review!!
Old 03-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Thanks so much for an...er...exhaustive review! Your descriptive language has probably best described the attributes of the BMW oem performance exhaust. Sorry to hear of your mini-disaster with the auto car wash. I always taped a large sign, in two languages, to the inside windshield saying simply "DO NOT WASH THIS CAR!" I also told the SA not to wash it, but things get lost in the chain of command. I got the battery cable recall notice today. Here we go again.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsxmachina View Post
thanks so much for an...er...exhaustive review!
yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Last edited by beenthere1130; 03-21-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: BLT335xi, e92 6MT
A most excellent review I dare say!

BMWCCA #489063

The BLT335xi - '11 BMW 335xi, M-Sport, Convenience, Premium, H/K sound, iDrive

Previous Rides:
'13 Cadillac ATS - Fired
'09 BMW 328xi - KIA by Bambi, reincarnated in Michigan
'11 Ford Fusion SEL
'08 Honda Accord Coupe
'01 Saab 9-3 2.0T
Old 03-21-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54

GOOD NEWS!!!!!!

In development is a micro thumb drive that plugs into a USB port. Contained within is system integration software that produces exhaust and mechanical sound through your BMW stereo system! Adds user selectable sound of aftermarket equipment such as glass packs, sexual whine of a through-bonnet Roots Supercharger, muffler delete, and much more. Mix 'n' match!!! All operations executable using steering wheel and iDrive controls, even while driving!!!!!!

Through proprietary tech, the vehicle's CAN bus is accessed. Thus, audio is responsive, in fact represents, changes in velocity, throttle position, transmission gear, attitude, RPM, lubricant condition, mass airflow, ECU map / chip detection, weather conditions, wheel slippage, and barometric pressure.

Here's the good part: You have your choice of resonate, ear pleasin', mind blowin' sound! Does not annoy neighbors!

Available as iDrive choices:
  • Ariel Atom
  • Aston Martin One-77
  • Bugatti Veyron Supersport
  • Corvette 1967 427 trip carb
  • "Gumball Rally"
  • Koenigsegg
  • LaFerrari
  • Lamborghini Veneno
  • Lexus LFA Nürburgring
  • LykanHypersport
  • McLaren P1
  • Pagani Huayra

It has a sense of humor!
  • Nissan Leaf
  • Toyota Prius
  • Yugo

Cone of silence! Using the vehicle microphone, issues noise-cancelling audio waves to deaden all cockpit noise:
  • Nagging wife
  • Mother in law
  • Screamin' kids
NO PROBLEM!

And it has a custom configuration module! Create and tailor 5 user defined audio maps, accessing the full range of automotive sound from deep exhaust bass to high energy treble suspension squeaks.

It blows away any and all expensive, PITA gotta-install-it, warranty killin' aftermarket exhaust hardware "solutions!" Much, much, much, much better than any Performance Exhaust!!!!

Place your pre-order here by PM. And yes, just like the production model that is scheduled to appear in 10 months, your pre-production VIP unit comes with it's own warranty to replace BMW's cancelled warranty coverage!!!!!

Just $295.00 -- Buy now! -- You'll love the many moods, the many shades of emotion available at the touch of a button in your BMW!!!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 03-21-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:03 AM

^^ Won't do much good. I opted for the base stereo
Old 03-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere1130 View Post
^^ Won't do much good. I opted for the base stereo
Could it be any better? On-board DSP upgrades every system to audiophile quality!

Don't wait!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
can someone comment how this sounds (in the cabin) compared to a stock E46 ZHP. I

Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
can someone comment how this sounds (in the cabin) compared to a stock E46 ZHP. I

Good Lord. The is absolutely no comparison. Research show that our Micro Thumb Drive raises endorphin levels 39% higher than suspension mods, engine mods, and if I still need to mention it, exhaust mods.

Get in on pre-production pricing! PM for instructions now!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Could it be any better? On-board DSP upgrades every system to audiophile quality!

Don't wait!
What! No Ride of the Valkyries?

Last edited by daytrader; 03-21-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Good Lord. The is absolutely no comparison. Research show that our Micro Thumb Drive raises endorphin levels 39% higher than suspension mods, engine mods, and if I still need to mention it, exhaust mods.

Get in on pre-production pricing! PM for instructions now!

You can derail my thread and rain on my parade all you like. Let it be known, my exhaust was a fantastic purchase. I would spend the money again.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post

EXCELLENT! And why not? Now in suggestion box: "Include MP3 track import capability in user defined maps."

This is why we participate in forums!

Do a Bueller? Star Wars theme - Wagner inspired, clearly - activated under user defined condition / trigger.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 03-21-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
You can derail my thread and rain on my parade all you like. Let it be known, my exhaust was a fantastic purchase. I would spend the money again.

You have nothing to be ashamed about. Until this day, how could you have known a greatly superior solution was available?

I say, no blame....there was little better until now.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 330i ZHP
Quote:

My question was serious to the OP....how does it sound vs a stock E46 ZHP? (cabin sound).

Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill97Z View Post
My question was serious to the OP....how does it sound vs a stock E46 ZHP? (cabin sound).
I can't comment as I don't have experience with an E46.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:28 AM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Quote:

He could not line of a flight of Hueys with external speakers on short notice.

OP lighten up, the forum should be a fun place in addition to sharing info. BMW does pipe in exhaust noise through the sound system on the M5, standard feature.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List

Last edited by bear-avhistory; 03-21-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
No disrespect intended.

As for exhaust rumble being piped into the cabin via audio system, funny as it may sound, it's a BMW option.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
No disrespect intended.

As for exhaust rumble being piped into the cabin via audio system, funny as it may sound, it's a BMW option.
I've heard that's how it works in the 5. I wonder if the synthetic tunes stir the soul as well as the real thing.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
OP lighten up, the forum should be a fun place in addition to sharing info.
I didn't take offense! I was giving back the good-natured ribbing
Old 03-21-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Quote:
No disrespect intended.

It's actually pre-recorded engine music! Hey, you can rev up the engine with the volume control...left to right now...vroom vroom. Think of the possibilities, no more expensive PE systems, for example. Even BJ's F30 can sound like a real 3-series.

All teasing aside, is that the best compromise that BMW could have come up with, to ensure a quiet cabin without reducing the engine sound levels???