Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 03-30-2013, 11:13 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 528iA
Sunroof problem

Starting from the fully closed position, when I push the switch up to tilt the sunroof nothing happens. If I push the switch forward the roof will tilt slightly (not the normal function for this switch position). Pushing the switch forward again and again will tilt it a little more each time until it it fully tilted open. Then pushing the switch rearward will close the roof in small spurts just like it opens.

It will slide open if I do this: From the closed position, if I push the switch rearward, it will slide the roof back a small amount. Pushing the switch repeatedly will finally get the roof to fully slide open. To close, I have to push switch forward several times before it gets to the closed position. Each time it closes about 3 inches then stops, just like it does when opening. It does not go into the "Park" position automatically. I have to stop it in just the right spot by releasing the switch at the right time.

I have done the reset/program procedure outlined in various threads several times, but pushing in on the switch yields nothing.

I'm thinking I have a bad switch. Just wondering what you all think. Can my switch be tested? I have the wiring diagram in the Bentley manual, but I'm not a technician and don't really know which pins to probe to see if the switch is good.

Last edited by occhis; 03-30-2013 at 05:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2013, 07:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 525i
Im having the same problem at the moment
Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 528i 1999 MB c240
is the rail on the side dirty or in need of some lube
Old 03-31-2013, 06:51 AM

I get no response when I push the switch up to tilt.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:13 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
I'm thinking I have a bad switch. Just wondering what you all think. Can my switch be tested? I have the wiring diagram in the Bentley manual, but I'm not a technician and don't really know which pins to probe to see if the switch is good.
I suspect the either the sunroof/motor module or the pinch sensor is bad rather than the switch. But checking the switch is an easy, no cost DIY if you have a multimeter with a continuity or ohm range. So why not verify the easy, inexpensive potential problem first?

Check continuity between pin 6 and 3, 4 or 5 depending on which postion the switch is in
WDS says the swich connector is a straight, in-line configuration. Either the switch or the connector probably has tiny numbers molded into the plastic - get out your young eyes (if any ) or a magnifying glass. If no numerals visible, pin 1 is not used so presumably that position will be empty and you can work out which end is #1 from that.

You should have constant continuity from 6 to 2. Pin 2 is the circuit to the LCM for illumination.
switch in neutral postion - no continuity to 3, 4 or 5
raise (tilt) - continuity to pin 3 only, nothing on 4 or 5
slide open - continuity to pin 4 only, nothing to 3 or 5
comfort (automatic) slide open, full back past detent - continuity to pins 3 & 4, nothing to 5
close - continuity to pin 5 only, nothing to 3 or 4
comfort (automatic) close, full forward past detent - continuity to pins 4 & 5, nothing to 3

I don't really know, but the light in the switch may be an LED which would be polarity sensitive & might just possibly be damaged by reverse polarity, even with the low voltage from a multimeter. So, it would be safest to connect the +ve lead of the multimeter to pin 6. (I'm assuming that pin 6 is constant +ve when ignition is on & pins 3, 4 & 5 are used to sense voltage to work out switch position. Opposite polarity is conceivable but so complicate to implement it's difficult to believe that it would be designed that way.)
Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 AM

I have no continuity from pin 6 (positive connected here) to pin 2
All other readings except one are normal.
Switch in the comfort (automatic) close position gives me continuity on 3 and 5, not 4 and 5. Nothing on 4
So I am getting the exact same readings for comfort open and comfort close. Looks like the switch is bad. Is this a correct assumption?

Last edited by occhis; 03-31-2013 at 12:19 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:24 PM

rdl: Thanks for the help
Bentley paper manual does not show the different switch positions like the WDS does. It took me 3 tries to get the right browser to display the diagrams in WDS. Chrome and IE would not do it, but Firefox did.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by occhis View Post
I have no continuity from pin 6 (positive connected here) to pin 2
All other readings except one are normal.
Switch in the comfort (automatic) close position gives me continuity on 3 and 5, not 4 and 5. Nothing on 4
So I am getting the exact same readings for comfort open and comfort close. Looks like the switch is bad. Is this a correct assumption?
Bad switch sounds right to me. But still a bit of a puzzle why the tilt will not work or the slide open/close halts. I presume that you did check absence of continuity too for each switch position? Anyway, the switch needs replacement. I'll cross my fingers for you that that solves the issue.

Regards your later post regards displaying WDS schematics. These are SVG format. Some versions of Internet Explorer have the viewer, others not. I suspect it depends on what the computer OEM loads for their Windows package.
An SVG add-in for IE is available from Adobe. The site will warn of possible security risks and state that the product is no longer supported. FWIW, I've used the downloaded viewer for 2+ years. My Norton has never complained, either during installation or in use.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 PM

Will post when new switch arrives with the outcome.
I updated IE and WDS works fine now.
Old 04-07-2013, 06:14 PM

Got the new (used) switch and installed it. Same problem. I did discover that the Bentley manual as well as the WDS have an error with regard to one switch position and which terminals should be hot when the switch is activated. Second switch responded to the meter same as the original.
Dug deeper and there is a relay unloader connection in the e-box, so I thought where there is an unloader there must be a relay. No relay in the e-box. I disconnected the unloader plug and plugged it back in - not sure why. Back in the dirver seat and tried the sunroof. Nothing the first time, but after I worked the switch a few times it miraculously began to work as it should. Have no idea why, but I'm a happy guy now that the nice weather is (almost) here.
I am, however, not optimistic about having it work long-term. Just keeping fingers crossed every time I use it. Anyone looking for a used switch?