Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550 M-Sport
Mommy car my [expletive deleted]. Nobody who ever say me burn out at a stoplight would ever think that.

If it was a mommy car, I don't think people would check out my car as often as they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF10 View Post
I'm 17 and I drive an F10...anyone who makes a comment like that is obviously jealous and can't afford it or too immature to appreciate luxury cars; simple as that.
Wow. I wish I owned an F10 when I was 17. Me had a '79 Corolla and a '69 Plymouth Duster as a project car. Congrats on having such an awesome car, man.

Last edited by AggieKnight; 03-23-2013 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:29 PM
F10

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post

Wow. I wish I owned an F10 when I was 17. Me had a '79 Corolla and a '69 Plymouth Duster as a project car. Congrats on having such an awesome car, man.
Haha thanks aggie; Yeah I'm not the average teen who would typically go for a camaro or mustang.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:03 PM

Mein Auto: '13 535i 6MT & '89 535iA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AggieKnight View Post
Mommy car my [expletive deleted]. Nobody who ever say me burn out at a stoplight would ever think that.

If it was a mommy car, I don't think people would check out my car as often as they do.

When I was 15 I bought a project E34 535i that I bought with computer fixing, lawn moving, and leaf-raking money. I used the knowledge I gained fixing up my E34 to buy other old BMWs, fix them up, and turn them for a profit. As I made more and more money doing this (principally on the weekends and over breaks from school) I slowly had more capital and got to drive a lot of different cars, mostly BMWs and some Mercedes (the "nicest" car I bought and fixed was an E39 530i MT). Even as a teenager the 6 cylinder 5-series was still my favorite, having sampled M cars and 6s and the completely awesome 8s.

When all the cars had to be sold off so that all that money could go to college (except for my beloved 535 - the car that started it all) I drove an 87 190E (bought for $800) and an 88 260E (bought for $800 after some asshole stole not only my 190E but also the Nintendo 64 and some snap-on tools that were in the trunk). I liked the Mercedes, but mainly drove them over the BMWs because they were always just a bit more reliable and lower maintenance.

Fast forward a bit (and skip over the Volkswagen CC MT I drove for a hot minute - front wheel drive and 4 cylinders just didn't do it for me) and I, as a still relatively young individual, bought myself a new 2013 535 MT. I could've bought two camaros or a lowly porsche or something used and fancier, but I went straight to an inline-6 5-series.

Moral of the story: the love of 5 can start young and even a teenager can fall in love with the sporting yet elegant and sophisticated dynamics of the 5-series. While it is a consumer car engineered for its mass market of luxury buyers, let's not forget that the 5 has also long served as an auxilary role as a storied enthusiast's car that stirs up emotions, even amongst those who lambast it for its newfound heftiness. The 5-series could be a mom's car or an old man's car, but all that the 5-series necessarily must be is the 5-series driver's car.

#2cents

Last edited by nirvana19; 03-24-2013 at 07:02 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-24-2013, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 Acura TL
Well said, Nirvana19.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 997TT/335xi/R500
For the 17 year old.

http://www.moneychimp.com/features/rule72.htm

Current: 2012 M-Sport 550i X-drive Dinan Stage 2, 1973 911 with 930 Motor (340 hp 2200 lbs).

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 911 Turbo, 2005 911 Carrera S, 07 BMW M Coupe, 07 335 XI, 05 Mercedes R500
Old 03-24-2013, 07:05 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
To be honest,
there is no such thing as a Guy's or Womens Car.
But if you insist,
The 5 and M5 are Mens Cars,
No offense, but i seen alot of Women Drive X5 everywhere i go.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 PM
F10

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by getz View Post
I don't see what you're getting at...
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottF10 View Post
I don't see what you're getting at...
Me Neither.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capobranco View Post
After my M3 had a very unfortunate encounter with a sink hole that was masquerading as a pothole this past week, PassportBMW provided me with a nicely equipped 535ix loaner. "Mommy's" car is not the most apt description - more appropriate, might be "luxury" car. I definitely would not categorize my 535 as a "sports" sedan. The driving experience of this F10 brings these words to mind - heavy - large - lazy - relaxed - comfortable - inoffensive - bland - soft.....I am genuinely taken aback by the lack of "BMWness". Perhaps if the car was equipped with M Sport and Dynamic handling the milquetoast quality of this 535 might be mitigated. I should note my X3 35i M Sport is a far more engaging driving experience. I recognize that BMW is a big tent, to each his own....
Listen to the guy who thinks that the 5 series F07 gran tourismo is very BMW

Quote:
Porsche There Is A Substitute

I have been honest - don't presume I wear rose color glasses. To reiterate, I purchased my 550i GT because I deemed the GT the better vehicle overall v. the PanameraS - independent of price. The small edge the PanameraS has over my GT in terms of track performance is more than mitigated by the engaging driving dynamics of the GT, in tandem with the GT's superior luxury, space, utility, and aesthetics.

Perhaps, you are enamored with the Porsche mystique, and this clouds your judgement - you will not be the first or last. If you have read any of my posts, you know I think very highly of Porsche, have owned Porsches in the past, and might very well purchase another in the near term, but I am not mesmerized. The BMW 550i GT is more than a substitute, it's my first choice.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews...a_s/index.html

Apparently Automobile Magazine shares my opinion, or are they being less than honest?
Perhaps, you confuse honesty with being synonymous to an accord with your point of view.
Respectfully, I defer.
Quote:
Good Question.

400 HP 450 ft-lbs of Torque + 20 Inch staggered wheels and performance summer tires + dynamic adaptive handling which allows you to dial in sport+, sport, normal, or comfort modes.

In general, the Porsche places more emphasis on being a sports car and the BMW has more the feel of a seven series gran turismo. What I gave up dynamically, I made up in comfort, capacity, and long distance touring capability. Moreover, although these were all contributing elements, the BMW 550i's 400 hp – 450 lbs-ft of torque when combined with a sport pack and 20-inch wheels mitigated the Porsche's sporting advantage. The Porsche may be the the better handling car in absolute terms on a track but the BMW is a very engaging car to drive and the better overall 5 door IMO.
Quote:
I purchased my 550i GT because I deemed the GT the better vehicle overall v. the PanameraS - independent of price.

If I were to buy the Porsche I would be sacrificing luxury, space, and utility to gain a very small measure of sporting capacity. Let's get real, I do not track my GT and I would not track a PanameraS if I owned one. In the real world both cars offer an engaging driving experience. Yes, the Porsche feels more sports car like, but the reality is that the limits of both cars are much higher than I am able to fully exploit on the street. Make no mistake, the BMW is a very engaging car to drive in the twisties. Moreover, as long distance GT, the BMW is superior. As a sporting luxury 5 door executive express - the mission of both - the BMW is my first choice. Porsche forces me to make too many sacrifices. I think of my GT as being the love child of my former BMW 5 Series Touring and my 911 Turbo - a wild child - and bespoke first choice.

BTW - In terms of "mystique" I consider both brands to have fine pedigrees and feel excited and privileged to own either - I make no distinction.

....you pays your money and you takes your choice....
Old 03-25-2013, 05:33 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
^^^ Ha Ha! You missed one -
I wrote a report on Abraham Lincoln in second grade....

There is a reason for the nickname for private investigators....
Hint – Four Letters – D_CK – care to buy a vowel?

Last edited by Capobranco; 03-25-2013 at 07:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehauler View Post
Get the car YOU want, not the car your friend want (or wish they had). If they think another car is "the shizzle", let THEM spend the money for it.

I am EXTREMELY happy with my 550. It provides me with exactly what I was looking for in a car at this point in my life. To the owner of the M3, to each their own. I am sure you love it, but while I considered one 10 years ago I would probably not get one now. My wife owns an E90 (sport package etc), and while it's a nice car, for SHORT trips, anything over a few hundred miles in a single sitting and you will wish you were in something...ANYTHING...else. The suspension becomes jarring, not firm, and the seats become rock hard, not supportive. I don't get that with my F10 550. It's a car I can easily make the Delaware to Chicago run in, with just a few fuel stops and a burger...usually gotten in Ohio. (14 hour drive with dogs...13 without). Take a trip over some rural Michigan roads and you will see the down side of a sport tuned suspension (the one and ONLY time we took the E90 instead of a truck/ute...looking forward to the F10 being the primary for those trips)

As for "mommy" cars, I've heard things like that said about a lot of cars....
"The Miata (MX-5) is a girl's car", "A Sport Ute is a girl's car", A minivan is a mom's car" - funny thing about the last one...both my father and brother prefer to drive the family minivan and have "stolen" it from their wives...it became "their" car, even though they had others they could drive...something about being able to see over everyone else and having tons of cargo space for the run to the hardware store...or maybe just being able to put the kids in different rows to stop the fights...

No car is going to fit all of us. Some of us here for instance will swear by the 550, or a Dinan 550, or the M5, or the 535, and even the 528, telling the others "you waste too much gas", "you don't need that much power", "I love the power of the 550 (or M5 depending) and would not live without it" etc. To each their own and I say, good for them getting the car that best suits them. Heck, if someone here suddenly decided that the Camry was "their car" for this time in their lives, more power to them...I might question their touch with reality though (J/K).

Don't worry about your "friends". It's your own heart and head you should be following, not theirs. After all, it's your life...don't let someone else live it for you.
Very well said. I drove my 550 from south of Tampa to Houston straight through by myself 1040 miles. I left Florida at 6:00 am and was home at 8:30 pm Houston time. I averaged 27.4 mpg for the entire round trip btw, and the 550 will give a Camaro SS or Mustang 5.0 GT a hell of a run for their money. I don't give a ratsazz if it's a "Mommy's" car or not.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardz View Post
I was talking to two male coworkers over coffee this morning and the topic of cars came up since one of them is looking to buy. I mentioned the F10, to which one of them replied "my wife already has a car, this is for me." The other chimed in "yeah, that's a mommy car".

Granted, these fellas were a bit younger than me, but is this typically how the 20s-30s crowd think about the 5 series now?
I could have made the first reply to this thread, but i did not.
I have been resisting every single time i saw this thread since then. But I cant anymore.
What a question to ask, in a BMW forum, in an F10 forum!

To answer your question - "Yes, F10 is a mommy's car".

So now what are you gonna do? including me, three "20s-30s" people have told you that F10 is a mommy's car..
i think its time you freaked out and sold your F10.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:01 AM
OZG F10

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i F10
I have seen some Mommies who could drive as hard as any on this forum (if not harder). It depends on how you drive a car and not who drives it.

13 BMW F10 535i RWD - 3.0 L 221 kW (300 hp) Bone stock except NAVI,PDC,Cam,Tint,Coded,HID Fogs,Debadged,Spoiler,BMS Stg1
07 BMW E64 630i - 3.0 L 200 kW (272 hp)
03 BMW E65 745i - 4.4 L V8, 242 kW (325 hp)
98 BMW E39 535i - 3.5 L 183 kW (245 hp)
95 BMW E34 540i - 4.0 L V8 210 kW (282 hp)
89 BMW E30 M3 non-cat 147 kW (200 hp)

15 MB W222 S550 4-Matic on order
10 Infiniti G37x Sedan
09 Mercedes C 350
08 Infiniti G35x Sedan
04 Mercedes CLK 350
01 Mercedes C 230
Old 03-25-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph1201 View Post
I could have made the first reply to this thread, but i did not.
I have been resisting every single time i saw this thread since then. But I cant anymore.
What a question to ask, in a BMW forum, in an F10 forum!

To answer your question - "Yes, F10 is a mommy's car".

So now what are you gonna do? including me, three "20s-30s" people have told you that F10 is a mommy's car..
i think its time you freaked out and sold your F10.
No one is freaking out about anything. I simply heard something provocative and shared it here to kickoff a discussion. Pretty interesting insights and opinions in the replies so far. Personally, I don't like my car any more or any less beause of this.

If not in a BMW forum and *gasp* a F10 forum, where else would I post something like this? In a Nissan Maxima forum? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:20 PM
BMW aficionado

Mein Auto: 535i
I was complimented for my F10 today at a gas station by a big burly guy who was filling up his pickup truck. Maybe he is shopping around a ride for his mom .

Old 03-25-2013, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i 6MT
Got mine in my late 20's shortly after the new body style came out. I get a lot of compliments and "looks." Not too mention all the people that seem to want to race me when going home at night on Rancho to all the Las Vegas people
Old 03-25-2013, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Not trying to offend 528 owners.

But, sometimes it's sad to see F10 with 17" wheels on non-sport 528 and non-HID headlights. A lot of them are like these in LA area. It makes F10 look bad. BMW has to offer at least 18" wheels and HID for cars > $45k just for design/marketing purposes.

My non-car friends used to hate F10 design after seeing a lot of F10 with 17" wheels. Then, they saw my car with 19" (this was back in 2011). They liked it although they could NOT tell why 19" wheel equipped car look better.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardz View Post
I was talking to two male coworkers over coffee this morning and the topic of cars came up since one of them is looking to buy. I mentioned the F10, to which one of them replied "my wife already has a car, this is for me." The other chimed in "yeah, that's a mommy car".

Granted, these fellas were a bit younger than me, but is this typically how the 20s-30s crowd think about the 5 series now?
They sound either immature, or ignorant, or both.

Minivans and large SUV's come to mind as mommy/soccer mom more so than ANY sedan much less a BMW.

It sounds more like they were just trying to get under your skin and succeeded by evidence of you feeling compelled to post.

Last edited by chuck92116; 03-25-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post

But, sometimes it's sad to see F10 with 17" wheels on non-sport 528 and non-HID headlights. A lot of them are like these in LA area. It makes F10 look bad. BMW has to offer at least 18" wheels and HID for cars > $45k just for design/marketing purposes.

My non-car friends used to hate F10 design after seeing a lot of F10 with 17" wheels. Then, they saw my car with 19" (this was back in 2011). They liked it although they could NOT tell why 19" wheel equipped car look better.
you just stated facts. bigger wheels does look better, provided the design isnt too busy.
I have been thinking of making my 17" dedicated for winter.

btw one good thing BMW did : non-HID days of 528i are over.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post

Yeah I don't seem to notice a less-equipped Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, or Porshe. But a base model BMW sticks out like a sore thumb. It is like they go out of their way to put on unattractive wheels.

Last edited by chuck92116; 03-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
Yeah I don't seem notice a less-equipped Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, or Porshe. But a base model BMW sticks out like a sore thumb. It is like they go out of their way to put on unattractive wheels.
Yeah, any basic MB/Audi I've seen look descent compared to the more-equipped ones.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 PM
Eye of the Wolf

My M3 repair saga continues – 8 days and counting. Events of the last 24 hours have provided some “perspective” as regards the nature of my 535ix loaner.

Yesterday, I attended an impressive Jaguar event where I got to drive Jaguar’s alternative to M - the soon to be introduced RS models in both ¼ mile sprints and timed autocross events. In addition, I drove XJ 4 wheel drive variants on the street. My take away – I much prefer my M3 vs. the XF RS. Moreover, although the XJ offers impressive luxury, my ride home in my 535ix allowed me to more fully appreciate BMW’s interpretation of a luxury sedan.

My 535ix was on a roll. Early this morning, my long downhill driveway that exits on to a state road was covered with 4 inches of snow. I discovered a very special talent of my 535ix – X drive that works flawlessly. My 25 mile commute to DC was safe, secure and uneventful – my 535ix was born to mush – does the “i” in 535ix stand for Iditarod?
Old 03-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Quote:
My M3 repair saga continues – 8 days and counting. Events of the last 24 hours have provided some “perspective” as regards the nature of my 535ix loaner.

Yesterday, I attended an impressive Jaguar event where I got to drive Jaguar’s alternative to M - the soon to be introduced RS models in both ¼ mile sprints and timed autocross events. In addition, I drove XJ 4 wheel drive variants on the street. My take away – I much prefer my M3 vs. the XF RS. Moreover, although the XJ offers impressive luxury, my ride home in my 535ix allowed me to more fully appreciate BMW’s interpretation of a luxury sedan.

My 535ix was on a roll. Early this morning, my long downhill driveway that exits on to a state road was covered with 4 inches of snow. I discovered a very special talent of my 535ix – X drive that works flawlessly. My 25 mile commute to DC was safe, secure and uneventful – my 535ix was born to mush – does the “i” in 535ix stand for Iditarod?
Keep in mind of 535i xi is the quintessential cushy luxury barge of the 5 series fleet... Well aside from a 550i without sport. With an M Sport package and even rear wheel drive which cuts some weight you would have a considerably different experience.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpal View Post
I'll bet one of them drives a Mustang, and the other a Camaro.
wow was thinking this exactly
Old 03-25-2013, 07:40 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Keep in mind of 535i xi is the quintessential cushy luxury barge of the 5 series fleet... Well aside from a 550i without sport. With an M Sport package and even rear wheel drive which cuts some weight you would have a considerably different experience.
I appreciate your point.

X Drive usually comes with the most compliant suspension settings unless one specifies the dynamic/adjustable handling package. If my memory serves me – X Drive also means you get BMW hydraulic steering – the steering in my 535ix loaner feels nicely weighted and communicative, but my 535ix is not fun to drive. Modern BMWs weigh more, but we also know that BMW understands how to make heavy cars handle surprisingly well despite the weight. I am reminded of my posts from about 2 years ago, as quoted above, that my 550iGT with 20"wheels, performance tires, adaptive handing, sports suspension, and surprise surprise very nice BMW hydraulic steering - in tandem with 400 HP 450 Torque –while not a sports car was a very engaging GT. A stripper 535 GT is not a very sporting car.

I am sure that just as in the GT, the proper equipment can be transformational in a 535i or 550i. Indeed, Dunderhi spoke very highly of his 550ix with Dinan mods. BTW It would be interesting to see if the lighter weight, and inherent better balance of your car would make you faster on an autocross, than a similarly equipped 550i – but alas, perhaps even sporty F10 variants are more suited to being great GT cars rather than back road barnstormers. This is not necessarily bad - generally, it is better to try to understand the nature of a thing and appreciate it for what it is.

The days of my lithe E39 are over. The demands of the market have necessitated heavier, ever more luxurious models – we live under a big BMW tent. I am grateful that BMW has the talent and the will to continue to offer enthusiast choices under that big top like your 535i M Sport.

You have an especially nice 535i.
BTW IMO your 535i has tons more ROAD PRESENCE than your former Mercedes

Last edited by Capobranco; 03-25-2013 at 07:47 PM.