Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-25-2013, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Mini vans are the ultimate mommy cars. Moms with some money will buy SUV's, but very few moms would have an X3 or X5 with M-Sport and Dynamic Handling.

In my opinion the 5 Series still denotes success, status, good taste AND masculinity.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
but very few moms would have an X3 or X5 with M-Sport and Dynamic Handling.
My wife has an X5 with M Sport and Dynamic Handling/Adaptive Drive. She refuses to get a minivan, although we only have one kid at the moment. She's always been a BMW person. Her first car was a hand-me down BMW from her dad. My wife actually got me into BMWs throughout the years.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport

Last edited by Decboy; 03-27-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:51 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardz View Post
I was talking to two male coworkers over coffee this morning and the topic of cars came up since one of them is looking to buy. I mentioned the F10, to which one of them replied "my wife already has a car, this is for me." The other chimed in "yeah, that's a mommy car".

Granted, these fellas were a bit younger than me, but is this typically how the 20s-30s crowd think about the 5 series now?

So, during the rest of the conversation, did they mention what cars they are considering?

I saw a hot Korean mom today... in a beautiful, brand new F10 M5. Yep, the F10 is a mommy's car.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:00 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by octopump View Post
So, during the rest of the conversation, did they mention what cars they are considering?

I saw a hot Korean mom today... in a beautiful, brand new F10 M5. Yep, the F10 is a mommy's car.
Lol Octo, you should have told her to come to the upcoming BMW meet!!!
Old 03-27-2013, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
The F10 is certainly not a "mommy car". On the other hand, my wife's RX is the epitome of a "mommy car" - although she will not be a mommy for a while. I think the closest you can get to a "mommy car" with the F10 would be by ordering a non-sport 528 xdrive with beige on beige.

The 5 series, however, has gotten too big for my tastes (I'm 29 FWIW). Even the 550 loaner I had a while back just felt heavy to drive and big inside. Certainly more luxurious than the E60, but the electronic steering stinks and needs to be tightened up a bit.

Currently are planning for a 335 ED next year in late September although I'm anxious to see high quality pictures of the 4 as well as the unique options BMW will put together to set it apart from the 3. Maybe when I turn 40 or decide to have kids I'll go back to the 5, but for now it just doesn't fit what I'm looking for.

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter

Last edited by dwlink; 03-27-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Hey the miata is a girls car. That's why its the most popular sports car to go racing with. It doesn't matter what people think all that matters is how you feel when you drive it. I'm in the 20-30 age group I would kill for an f10. The car has the potential, and it looks awesome to me. The guys you were talking to sound like snobs. They are the same people who say things like Porsche's are over rated. Just smile and let them wallow in their ignorance
Old 03-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcardz View Post
Downtown houston shuts down at 6pm, but there's nightlife to be had in other parts of town. Washington Ave and midtown do pretty well most nights of the week.

Funny you mentioned pickup trucks. They are fairly popular among housewives here.
oil the other day I was getting my car inspected and I saw a tiny lady in her late 30s come by to inspect her mommy's car. It was a dually pickup with a cummins diesel lol this is Texas though
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
That is true in California as well as long as you are 10+ miles from the coast. People commuting by themselves in lifted $60k F250 KING Ranch/HD2500/RAM2500 etc and then complaining about fuel prices. Oh, and "wow that BMW must be 'spensive huh!" type dumb ass questions.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 03-28-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyser Soze View Post
That is true in California as well as long as you are 10+ miles from the coast. People commuting by themselves in lifted $60k F250 KING Ranch/HD2500/RAM2500 etc and then complaining about fuel prices. Oh, and "wow that BMW must be 'spensive huh!" type dumb ass questions.
I see this all the time. The issue is a lot of folks seemed to have failed basic math. They ignore the total cost of owning and driving a vehicle.

I see it with homes as well. They want a cheaper home so they move out into the middle of nowhere only to pay the savings in housing costs by having to shell out a lot more money in heating/cooling and fuel commuting costs.

A friend of mine was driving a large 4x4 truck back and forth to work. He did not like paying the gas bill every week. The answer? He bought an $80k tesla to save money. The break even point is around 20 years.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 AM

Manufacturers are stupid to there is no reason why a f150 f250 and dodge 1500 should be offered without a smaller displacement Turbo diesel. Diesel technology is awesome but not when the engine is'7litters and weighs more than some small cars. That defeats the purpose. Then owners buy them and let the dealer talk them into upgrading. Pickups have almost become more of a status symbol than owning a bmw
Old 03-28-2013, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
I see this all the time. The issue is a lot of folks seemed to have failed basic math. They ignore the total cost of owning and driving a vehicle.

I see it with homes as well. They want a cheaper home so they move out into the middle of nowhere only to pay the savings in housing costs by having to shell out a lot more money in heating/cooling and fuel commuting costs.

A friend of mine was driving a large 4x4 truck back and forth to work. He did not like paying the gas bill every week. The answer? He bought an $80k tesla to save money. The break even point is around 20 years.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.