Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 08-07-2004, 08:11 PM
BMW Z4 Coupe

Mein Auto: 2007 Z4 Coupe 3.0si
Question S54 - valve adjustments

According to the "BIMMER" magazine:

"Since the S54 engine has the mechanical method of valve actuation, which replaced the hydraulic lifters used on the S52 engine, it requires periodic inspection and clearance adjustments every 15,000 miles, depending how the engine is run".

My S54 engine has always had more valve noise than my S52 engine.
It is my understanding that as the S54 valves start to need to be adjusted, they make even more noise. Is this true?

I have 21K miles on my S54 engine and have not had the valves adjusted.

I am interested in hearing from other S54 owners about when they had their valves adjusted.

The BMW dealer talked me into another year of BMW dealer maintenance for $425.
They said that the "Inspection I" on the S54 engine, which I believe includes a valve adjustment, costs over $900, if done without part of the maintenance.

Comments?
- 6-speed
- Sports Mode
- Sports Suspension
- BBS CH 18" wheels (8.5" & 10.0")
- ///M Sport Seats
Advertisement
Old 08-07-2004, 08:22 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Bimmer was the first to report that (I have that issue too) but the information is wrong.

The first valve service is at Inspection One, second at Inspection Two, etc.

Your valves are noisier than in the S-52 because it has "hydraulic lifters" (so to speak) between the cam lobes and valve stems. The S-54 operates the valves from the cam via a small rocker arm and is metal on metal contact or "solid lifter" actuation.

Yes, they will become noisier as wears allows greater lash.

Remember this truth: noisy valves won't cost you money (but tight ones will)!

My 01 hit Insp I at 21,000 miles and the valves were all found to be within spec; no adjustment (made with varying thickness shims) was needed.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 08-07-2004, 08:32 PM
The Anti-Rice

Send a message via AIM to Mpire Send a message via MSN to Mpire Send a message via Yahoo to Mpire
Mein Auto: S54 M Coupe x2, M52 Z3
Is there a DIY for the valves? What tools do wee need?
1999 Estoril / Estoril Coupe

Sunroofs are for girls.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:45 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpire
Is there a DIY for the valves? What tools do wee need?
Procedure is in the TIS.

Ron has posted the (few and basic) tools required here about three years ago (search function should turn that up).

Most costly aspect of adjusting the valves yourself is to have the correct shim assortment on hand. Alternative would be to tear it down, record the lash (for 24 valves) and then remove/measure the ones out of spec and order the correct replacement shim.

There's about a hundred dollars worth of seals and gaskets required; they are available to the dealer's mechanic as a "kit" but I think we'd have to order all the parts individually. Not a big deal.

Randy Forbes

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 08-07-2004 at 08:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:53 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Forbes
Procedure is in the TIS.

Ron has posted the (few and basic) tools required here about three years ago (search function should turn that up).

Most costly aspect of adjusting the valves yourself is to have the correct shim assortment on hand. Alternative would be to tear it down, record the lash (for 24 valves) and then remove/measure the ones out of spec and order the correct replacement shim.

There's about a hundred dollars worth of seals and gaskets required; they are available to the dealer's mechanic as a "kit" but I think we'd have to order all the parts individually. Not a big deal.
There is a kit for the shims which I never noticed until looking now that gets you 6 each of the 23 different sized shims. 11 34 0 031 525. At the island internet place it is priced at $234.00.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stygar
There is a kit for the shims which I never noticed until looking now that gets you 6 each of the 23 different sized shims. 11 34 0 031 525. At the island internet place it is priced at $234.00.
That's not bad at all.

Who is Island internet? Contact info please?

Randy Forbes
Old 08-07-2004, 10:48 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
That's not bad at all.

Who is Island internet? Contact info please?
That's that internet EPC site. Some island in the Pacific where ever.
http://rust.mine.nu/bmw/
I'll check the price with Paul Monday.
Will be doing my first check somewhere around 30K after HC.
The gaskets etc. are on order.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:58 AM
Too much is never enough

Mein Auto: 01 M roadster
We need to get a group of S54 owners to chip in and buy a shim set. It's a waste of money for each owner to have his own set. When you want to do your valves, find out who used them last and have them shipped to you.

One note about Randy's reply to Dennis: The sole purpose of hydraulic lifters is to dampen the valve train noise. Because the oil in the lifter will "compress" slightly, the valve train can be run with zero lash, which eliminates the clacking. But in a high performance, high revving engine, that hydraulic cushioning creates a slight deviation (lag) in valve timing and lift. Plus variations in the hydraulic lifter height adds to the problem. Modern hydraulic valve trains, with variable valve timing and overhead cams, have come a long way, but if an engine has an 8000 rpm redline, you can bet it has mechanical (non-hydraulic) valve actuation.

01 M roadster, F: GC/Koni short coilover struts, Eibach, Wilwood front brakes, GC tubular swaybar. R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 pipes. MISC: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport intake, OZ Superleggera 18" 3 piece.
06 Hemi Durango
04 G35 Coupe
05 Scion xB
07 Scion tC
89 Reynard F2000
Old 08-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by QikSilver
We need to get a group of S54 owners to chip in and buy a shim set. It's a waste of money for each owner to have his own set. When you want to do your valves, find out who used them last and have them shipped to you.
I know I'm not alone when I say that I don't want a set of shims that somebody has aleady had their hands in. Let alone several somebodies.

Quote:
One note about Randy's reply to Dennis: The sole purpose of hydraulic lifters is to dampen the valve train noise...
I think the "sole purpose" was to eliminate valve adjustments so the manufacturer could claim reduced maintenance costs (or effort) compared to their competition.

I should ask my father about that one, he'd remember who the first engine manufacturer was to introduce them (in America) and why.

Randy Forbes
Old 08-08-2004, 10:48 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:

One note about Randy's reply to Dennis: The sole purpose of hydraulic lifters is to dampen the valve train noise. Because the oil in the lifter will "compress" slightly, the valve train can be run with zero lash, which eliminates the clacking. But in a high performance, high revving engine, that hydraulic cushioning creates a slight deviation (lag) in valve timing and lift. Plus variations in the hydraulic lifter height adds to the problem. Modern hydraulic valve trains, with variable valve timing and overhead cams, have come a long way, but if an engine has an 8000 rpm redline, you can bet it has mechanical (non-hydraulic) valve actuation.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=valve+adjust

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=valve+adjust
Old 08-08-2004, 02:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to dwm Send a message via Yahoo to dwm
Mein Auto: 2002 M roadster
Quote:
I know I'm not alone when I say that I don't want a set of shims that somebody has aleady had their hands in. Let alone several somebodies.

I think the "sole purpose" was to eliminate valve adjustments so the manufacturer could claim reduced maintenance costs (or effort) compared to their competition.

I should ask my father about that one, he'd remember who the first engine manufacturer was to introduce them (in America) and why.
My rough recollection is that you're spot-on, it had nothing to do with noise and everything to do with maintenance. You'd have to go way back before my time though, GM engines had hydraulic valve lifters before 1950. So did Harleys. Might have been a wartime development (hard to adjust valves when someone is shooting at you )?
Old 08-08-2004, 03:57 PM
Im here

Send a message via AIM to 01silber
Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 3.0i
Higher revving engines use mechanical lifter to keep from " floating the valves"
the hydraulic lifter are used for a no maintenance and sound aspect.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:12 PM
Too much is never enough

Mein Auto: 01 M roadster
I agree that reduced maintenance probably was the biggest reason for the popularity of hydraulic lifters, but to say noise didn't matter? Sorry, don't agree. Whether they were designed to be quiet, or it just turned out to be an additional plus, once hydraulics started making noise, people complained. It was a rare day back in the 60's, when we didn't have a noisy hydraulic lifter to replace in my uncle's shop.

Randy,
In my years of racing cars and motorcycles, I'd like to have a dollar for every time I dug through someone elses shim collection at the track looking for the one I needed. I considered it lucky if I found one, and not once did I ever think, " I can't use this; someone else had their hand on it."

01 M roadster, F: GC/Koni short coilover struts, Eibach, Wilwood front brakes, GC tubular swaybar. R: TC Kline springs, short Bilsteins, IE sub & swingarm bushings & shock mounts, 3.23 gear, Rogue dual-ear cover, Eisenmann 4x83 pipes. MISC: Sport mode, Rogue pulleys, keyless, RG Motorsport intake, OZ Superleggera 18" 3 piece.
06 Hemi Durango
04 G35 Coupe
05 Scion xB
07 Scion tC
89 Reynard F2000
Old 08-08-2004, 05:24 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Quote:
I agree that reduced maintenance probably was the biggest reason for the popularity of hydraulic lifters, but to say noise didn't matter? Sorry, don't agree. Whether they were designed to be quiet, or it just turned out to be an additional plus, once hydraulics started making noise, people complained. It was a rare day back in the 60's, when we didn't have a noisy hydraulic lifter to replace in my uncle's shop.

Randy,
In my years of racing cars and motorcycles, I'd like to have a dollar for every time I dug through someone elses shim collection at the track looking for the one I needed. I considered it lucky if I found one, and not once did I ever think, " I can't use this; someone else had their hand on it."
Some toys I share and some I don't. I don't consider having what I need, when I need it a waste of money. I already have the tools the S-54 requires to adjust the valves, why not have the shims too?

In your first reply in this thread, you said, and I quote: "The sole purpose of hydraulic lifters is to dampen the valve train noise." Sorry, I don't agree. While noise reduction is a benefit, I doubt it was the motivation for the design. Better sound insulation would've been easier and more profitable.

Where did I say noise didn't matter?

Randy Forbes

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 08-08-2004 at 05:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
I'll check the price with Paul Monday.
The shim kit retails for $355.00.
The ones I purchased separately were less per shim.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:57 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Quote:
The shim kit retails for $355.00.
The ones I purchased separately were less per shim.
But maybe this one has a neat twenty-three (23) compartment box

I ordered mine through Jay Lilley.

Randy Forbes
Old 08-09-2004, 10:07 AM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
But maybe this one has a neat twenty-three (23) compartment box
That would be neat. Let us know what shows up.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:50 PM
19,585 Miles

Valve adjust parts

Ordered some valve parts to see how the shims fit and how the retaining clips come out, which wasn't clear (to me) in the instructions. It is now.

Last edited by Ron Stygar; 08-12-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: '00 M Coupe
Anybody know BMW's reason for using shims? My hondas were all adjustable with a bolt and locknut.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:51 AM

Mein Auto: 01 Mc, 08 M3, Motorrad x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dance
Anybody know BMW's reason for using shims? My hondas were all adjustable with a bolt and locknut.
So are all of BMW's motorcycle engines.

14 S1000R | 09 F650GS | 08 E90 M3 | 06 M Coupe | 01 M coupe
Old 08-13-2004, 09:13 AM
Investigative Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Dance
Where would you put a bolt/nut on the finger-follower shown in Ron's picture?

Jaguar XK & Lotus DOHC valves are adjusted with shims too. Probably Ferraris too, but I haven't had one of those apart yet...

Most DOHC setups require lifting out the cams (well, British anyway) to change the shims, at least the BMW has sidestepped that task.

Edit: As I remember, part of the design criteria for this engine/cylinder head was to reduce valvetrain mass for higher RPM operation. Hence the lighter components (tiny-tiny shims) and hollow gun-drilled camshafts.

Randy Forbes

Last edited by Randy Forbes; 08-13-2004 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: '00 M Coupe
Quote:
Where would you put a bolt/nut on the finger-follower shown in Ron's picture?
The adjustment bolt is not in contact with the follower, but adjusts the whole assembly vertically. Essentially, it moves the followers away from or closer to the camshaft, you simply check the clearance with a feeler guage.

The different ways of going about doing the same thing are interesting, seeing as how both companies make excellent, high-revving engines.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Quote:
That would be neat. Let us know what shows up.
Make that a twenty-four (24) compartment box.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sk_101.JPG
Views:	7089
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	35509   Click image for larger version

Name:	sk_102.JPG
Views:	7309
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	35510   Click image for larger version

Name:	sk_103.JPG
Views:	7157
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	35511  

Randy Forbes
Old 08-13-2004, 03:39 PM
19,585 Miles

Quote:
Make that a twenty-four (24) compartment box.
Looks good.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 01 M Rdstr 00 M Coupe
shimsss

I like the the kit Randy!p/s to the man that wants to share my freinds do not share tools.