Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 x5 35d
To Sell or not to see 2010 35d

Have a great 2010 x5 35D with 94,600.00 miles on it and the car rides like it did the day I bought it. It is in all but perfect conditon. the miles are 75% highway.

At 80K miles the catalytic converters failed and were replaced no charge.

At 87K mi the CIC system (brains) crapped out and cost $2,500.00 to replace.

Now the adaptive headlight drives have failed and require replacement at $2,200.00.

My heart wants to keep the car as it should keep going for years but my brain is telling me now is the time to off load the car.

Any thoughts?
Ads by Google
Old 03-21-2013, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i, 330ci
Some of these repairs can be expected and seems cheaper than another car payment or outright purchase for another year. See how it goes or try to figure out how much it is worth in trade, then decide.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Question. I have a 2011 X5 nearing the end of the originally warranty. I'm trying to decide on whether or not to by the extended warranty. Did you have the extended warranty and if so, were some of the repairs you listed not covered? Also, if you had it to do over again, do you think the $4,500 for and extended warranty would have been worth it?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:46 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Thoughts?

Why you going to a dealer for work??? I never trust them to be careful with my money...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM

This dealer has been great to deal with for service on this vehicle and others. On a two Other vehicles they have had BMW take care of out of warranted issues and have stood behind repairs that have had to be corrected without additional charge.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM

The extended war was not that expensive when i purchased it. the CIC and the adaptive lights are not covered but the cat converters were. that paid for the contract right there.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:10 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmeg View Post
The extended war was not that expensive when i purchased it. the CIC and the adaptive lights are not covered but the cat converters were. that paid for the contract right there.
Cats are covered under the 80,000 mile federal warranty.... Just FYI
Old 03-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: German
I'd dump it before it turns into a pile of crap (you're getting there )

Trade that sucker in and get a new car. No headaches at all to worry about.

I'm going to trading in my 35d when my warranty is about to run out on a Cayenne or something. Life is too short to be keeping these cars too long
Old 03-22-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I'd dump it before it turns into a pile of crap (you're getting there )
Curious why you think this way. My impression so far is that the E70 seems to be a relatively reliable vehicle, judging by the number of complaint threads on X5 forums. The E53 forum is another story...

My 2010 X5 35d has been relatively trouble free at 38k miles (now of course I jinxed it ) and I am planning to keep it a long time (all my previous vehicles have lasted 200k+ miles). I am still debating if I should get an extended warranty as my experience is that vehicles start to have higher repair bills after 100k, not before.

To the OP, personally I would keep the vehicle as probably more than half the original value is already gone, especially if it runs perfect. However, if you are thinking of selling it, now is the time to do it before you hit 100k, which seems to be a psychological milestone for most buyers.

Have you taken it to a CarMax for a quote? CarMax is interested in vehicles below 100k, over not so much. That might decide it for you...
Old 03-22-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbmw View Post
Curious why you think this way. My impression so far is that the E70 seems to be a relatively reliable vehicle, judging by the number of complaint threads on X5 forums. The E53 forum is another story...

My 2010 X5 35d has been relatively trouble free at 38k miles (now of course I jinxed it ) and I am planning to keep it a long time (all my previous vehicles have lasted 200k+ miles). I am still debating if I should get an extended warranty as my experience is that vehicles start to have higher repair bills after 100k, not before.
I probably worded it wrong, sorry. What I meant was that if the car starts giving you trouble, it's probably going to continue to do so, as the miles pile on.

There have been tons of people here with high mileage E70s with minor issues, but we've also seen them with $$$ issues.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 PM

Mein Auto: 10 X5 35D
I am in the similar dilemma. Have 2010 X5 35d with 97k miles on it. Besides the emission related issues, EGR cooler and Active Tank for DEF, the car has been good to me. Although I was able to get the BMWNA to cover the Active Tank at 97k miles, I am concern with the reliability of the emission related components. Depreciation of the vehicle due to high mile is not too much of concern to me, but the cost of the repair to keep it going till least 200-250k miles got me worry a little. I had few others vw diesels before and got at least 200k+ on all with minimum repair cost besides normal wear and tear item.
My rationale for keeping the car: since I put so many miles on the car, if I trade it in and get another newer one - in two years, the depreciation will probably cost way more than the repair cost anyway. my experiences with German car is that you either get a really good one, or really bad one. Even brand new one can be really bad some times. Since I know the history of the car, I might as well keep driving it till the next major repair.

on a separate note, I am taking the car in next Friday for the last free service before the 100k extended service expire. The dealer is going to change out the active DEF tank (temperature sensor problem), perform front brake service. I am going to ask for the transmission flush and brake fluid flush as well.
anyone know if the drive belt is covered under the extended service plan? if not, how often should the drive belt be changed?