Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2004645ci
2004 645ci battery drains

I have a battery drain did parastaic draw cant find any drains but only searched trunk fuses biggest draw was gps map but only 49 to 35 milliamp drop please help third battery !!!
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 645
05 battery draining

Having same problem recently had gen mod replaced and now my screen is completely off dealers says I need to replace radio for them to check if that is draining the battery
Old 03-25-2013, 12:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99blackbmw View Post
Having same problem recently had gen mod replaced and now my screen is completely off dealers says I need to replace radio for them to check if that is draining the battery
Is the dealer actually saying they are too dumb to do a simple current test by attaching a multimeter to the battery then start pulling fuses until they find the source of the current draw?

I would take less than 10 minutes to determine with 100% accuracy if the radio is the issue by using a multimeter. Why on earth would they suggest randomly installing a new unit to test if the radio is the culprit? I would start looking for a new mechanic.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 03-25-2013, 12:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie1465 View Post
I have a battery drain did parastaic draw cant find any drains but only searched trunk fuses biggest draw was gps map but only 49 to 35 milliamp drop please help third battery !!!
49mA is a pretty large draw. The car should be drawing something like 20-30mA when in sleep mode. So the GPS on its own is drawing more that the entire car should be drawing. I have not checked what my 6er draws but my e46 was 30mA in sleep mode. Make sure you let the car sit for 30-45 minutes befure you start measuring - several systems stay awake for that long. Leave the doors open and use something to press the door latch switches to trick the car into thinking doors are closed.

What current draw where you seeing when the car was in sleep mode?

I would try pulling the fuses in the glove compartment next then try some of the relays under the hood.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 03-25-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2004645ci
battery drain

Found out battery was really bad put new one today will test tomorrow fuses in trunk cant find fuses in glove box 2004 645ci but wont give up car has whelen lights and fully armored windows and body owner says its third battery he has replaced in three years !!!!