Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 135cic
Has anyone else experienced this?

Hi, I have a 2012 135cic. In recent months, I have been experiencing rough idling and the engine accelerating a few second after I take my foot of accelerater. My car actually lunges forward at times. I've had people in my car who have felt it. Luckily my foot is on the brake or just about to be when it happens. Of course my dealership says they have had no complaints or updates for this problem. I'm taking it back in next week. They want me to drive for them...I guess it must be me? I've driven BMW's for 12 years now; all, with the exception of this one, with manual transmission. I think I know how to drive.

Thanks alot!
Kathleen
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2013, 05:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
The 135 engine is prone to carbon build-up on the intake valves (There's a service bulletin for it). It can cause all sorts of strange engine behavior. The dealer should be aware of this and should be able to correct it.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:32 AM

Thanks for your reply, mr. bean. The thing that worries me is that I have taken it in for this same problem and have been told there is no service bulletin for this problem. Maybe there has been one since my last service. I just wanted to be prepared when I'm told there is no problem. The service in my city is not very good especially to women.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
With foot off the accelerator are you saying the car continues to not only continue at speed under power but also accelerates?

And for how many seconds?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: 540i 1997
is this happening as you slightly press the Brakes as well? I had that problem in my old e39. I had a vacuum leak in my brake booster line so when I pressed the brake, the leak was closed off and the engine revved up a bit.

"Owning any german car is like hanukkah,
every day another light"
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 AM

After I take my foot off the accelerator; say at a red light or drive thru, and I am about to press the brake and even after I have my foot on the brake, the car revs up. I havent noticed how many RMPS but it has actually lunged forward several times.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 540i 1997
Sounds like a brake booster vacuum leak to me. When you press the brake, it closes off the leak which makes your car run better for the time being which raises your rpm. This would also address the rough idling issue. Take a look at your vacuum lines and follow it to your brake booster and look for any cracks.

"Owning any german car is like hanukkah,
every day another light"
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i conv
I have had the same thing with my 2012 135i conv. SCT (not manual) with 5000 miles on it.
Probably 6 times in past few months sitting at light with foot on brake and the rpms spontaneously blip up to between 2000-3000 rpms.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevez1 View Post
I have had the same thing with my 2012 135i conv. SCT (not manual) with 5000 miles on it.
Probably 6 times in past few months sitting at light with foot on brake and the rpms spontaneously blip up to between 2000-3000 rpms.

It gets worse. I'll keep you posted on what happens. I take my car in this Tuesday 26th.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:47 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
The 135 engine is prone to carbon build-up on the intake valves (There's a service bulletin for it). It can cause all sorts of strange engine behavior. The dealer should be aware of this and should be able to correct it.
Thanks, my friend needed this
Old 04-03-2013, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: X1
I have the same experienced and I have a 2013 1 28I and I have only had the car for less than 3 months and it is my first bimmer....not impressed at all!
Experienced rough idling and the engine accelerating a few second after I have taken my foot of accelerator. My car actually lunges forward at times.
Most recently ie 2 weeks ago, my car would not start...started after 3 tries. The car was running rough and lack power. The car was in the dealership for 3 days, the fuel injector was replaced.
The engine light came on the next morning and this time the dealership sent someone to pick up the car. The loaner car smelt of cigarette and I had to get it exchanged.
The dealership yesterday sent me an email informing me that they checked my vehicle on Thursday scanned the computer, found no fault code that is related to engine.
Technician clear all fault code and rechecked Saturday morning. Light did not come on on Saturday cold start check. Let the car seat for Sunday, rechecked Monday morning. Light did not come on on Monday cold start check. Rechecked yesterday (tuesday), light came back on. They have submitted a case to BMW Canada again for technical support. Will provide another entry when I learn more.
So frustrating!!!!!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:14 PM

An update

Well, I have to give BMW of San Antonio props for not pretending there is no problem with my car. They have had my car for a week. They drove it until they duplicated the problem. So they have acknowledged there is a problem. Having said that, they said since there is no service update or bulletin on this particular problem, they will have to actually figure out whats wrong. I understand when things are intermittant, they can be more difficult to diagnose but at least they are taking it seriously.

As far as cold starts, that another person here mentioned. I have not had any problems with that but someone else on the forum directed me to a particular service bulletin. I will look it up and post it later. Maybe you have more than one problem.

My car has lunged as well and I used the phrase "unintentional acceleration" with my service advisor. I think they take that seriously. Think Audi 5000 and Toyota.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:30 PM

BMW of SA has had my car for over a week now and has duplicated the problem. They were instructed by BMWNA to look at the exhaust system. While doing so they found a crack in a part of the air intake system. I will post again in a week or so with specific information about that part and whether or not it fixed the problem.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:43 AM

Still testing my car out but...

I got my car back from BMW of San Antonio yesterday 4/16. I havent had a chance to really test it out to see if the problem is resolved yet but I will post what was done to the car as per the service work order:

found intake pipes to be leaking. Removed air intake box to remove upper plenum and replaced gasket between pipes. Smoked vehicle again. Still leaking. Replaced upper and lower plenum pipes on air intake system. Smoked vehicle no leaks present.

Parts replaced:
1 13-71-7-599-292 gasket: 139500
1-13-71-7-599-286 air duct without mass
airflo: 13709971
1-13-71-7-599-290 Air duct, bottom: 13709971
100 LO 1371565

Props to BMWSA for taking the time to find the problem!! My car has a little over 24k miles, its a 2012. I noticed it around 5-6k miles. It did get progressively worse. I would think that there will be a recall.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 08 135i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_bean View Post
What if my car is no longer under warranty?

1970 Morris Cooper S * 2008 BMW 135i Coupe * 2008 BMW 128i Cabriolet * 2003 BMW 525i Touring * 1995 BMW M3 Coupe
Old 04-21-2013, 09:27 PM

Unfortunately

After having the parts replaced as outlined in my last post and three weeks in the shop, the problem is still not resolved. The only thing I can tell that has changed is that the problem is MORE consistent. It's going back to BMW this week.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 128i
this is unsettling. Im supposed to get a 2011 DCT. hoping I dont see this issue, but good luck trying to mail it down!
Old 05-05-2013, 09:47 AM

Last week the engineers at BMWNA told my local dealer to replace all the injectors. If this doesnt work then they went thru alot of time and expense. I do appreciate their efforts. Just hoping I get my car back soon...I miss my car!!
Old 05-28-2013, 04:33 PM

In case anyone is interested. After BMW replaced all the injectors, ignition coils and spark plugs..turns out the problem was the DME.
Car running great now.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: 135i
135i surging/lurching problem

I have a 2008 135i convertible w/ sports package. For the past few years, I've had a surging issue that the dealer has yet figured out how to fix--partly because they can't duplicate the problem, even though this happens to me every day, multiple times a day.

After my car has been sitting in the garage overnight or out in the parking lot at work all day, I have this surging issue. It usually happens after I make my first major stop, like at a red light. I make the stop, take my foot off the brake and before my foot even touches the accelerator, my car lurches forward. This happens a few times and then it goes away. I also have a problem sometimes when my foot is on the brake while at a red light--my car surges forward. The first few times it happened I actually thought someone hit me from behind.

I recently had a transmission tune-up (at my expense) and BMW replaced a fuel sensor (covered by warranty) thinking it would solve the issue. It didn't, although the surging isn't as strong and it hasn't happened when my foot is on the brake (yet).

This is my first BMW, and while I love driving my twin turbo convertible, I've had some annoying issues that I've never had with any other car.

My situation sounded a little different from what I read on the forum. Has anyone experienced this and found a remedy? Do you have any suggestions on how to explain it better to the dealer or document this issue so that they understand?

Thank you!
Old 06-03-2013, 08:24 AM

The problem sounds the same as mine except my car only surged after acceleration (rpms would rev up to 1500-2000) and before putting the brakes on. Once the car was at a complete stop, it did not surge forward. My car was at BMW for 6 weeks. They replaced parts of the intake; which made the problem more consistent, then injectors, coils, spark plugs. All of this was under the advise of BMWNA and none of those things fixed the problem. Finally, they were advised to replace the DME. Since then my car has no turbo lag and no surging problems. I've been driving it for about a week now. My husband drove it for a week while I was out of town. The first time I took it there, nothing was done. When I brought it back, I let them know that others had complained about the same problem on this forum and that I would keep making appointments until they acknowledged the problem. I also used the term "unintended acceleration"; that seemed to get their attention. I can only suggest you keep taking it back until someone acknowledges the problem. I know that is time consuming but if your car is still under warranty, I would take it every week. Hope this helps and good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 135
I have the same problem. They have a SB on this,seems better but rough idle is still there.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:37 PM

Mine is fixed. They changed stuff in the air intake...didn't help. They replaced fuel injectors...didn't help. Finally they changed out the main computer...no problem in 3 months.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:40 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Nissan Micra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guam135i View Post
What if my car is no longer under warranty?
Then you have to spend bucks of your own on your car.
Old 09-03-2013, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i , 2010 128i
I just saw this thread and even though this is the 1 series section, I'm having this same problem with my 2011 328i coupe.

It's already been to service once for this problem, they did a software update which seemed to work for a few weeks and then the issue returned.
My car jumps as you're braking to a complete stop.
At least now I have an idea what to tell service when I go back there again.