Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2013, 08:44 PM
bensteeley bensteeley is offline
Registered User
Location: Minnesota, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 E70 35i premium
Smile 0-60 time 5.2 seconds?

Just did a 0-60 run with my 2011 X5 35i premium using BMW M Power meter to measure a 0-60 run. I had traction off and launch control at just below 3000 rpm's And my time was 5.2 seconds. I followed all directions and phone was lying flat. It definitely felt the 5.2 seconds but just wondering if this is even possible
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	367684  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 03-23-2013, 08:28 AM
UncleJ UncleJ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silicon Valley
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,575
Mein Auto: '06 X3
Interesting.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Mbbrewer Mbbrewer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 309
Mein Auto: 2013 550 Msport
Something not right there. Thats what I'd expect a 50i to run.
__________________
2013 Imperial Blue 550i M-Sport DINAN Stage 2, Oyster & Black, Anthracite
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:11 AM
z51vette z51vette is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 360
Mein Auto: 13 X5 50i M-Performance
I had a loaner 35i that was a monster! Car just flew. Dont know about 5.2 seconds but it felt nearly as fast as my 50 with M-Performance pack. Drove other 35s and were not even remoteley up to snuff. Apperently there is a very wide variation between individual cars.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2013, 10:20 AM
bensteeley bensteeley is offline
Registered User
Location: Minnesota, USA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2011 X5 E70 35i premium
Apparently so. It felt so much more powerful than what it is rated at. Motor Trend rates it at 6.1 which is phenomenal for that car but this sure felt under 6. It must have been the perfect launch. At some point i will try it again and see what numbers I get. The funny thing is that usually when the app malfunctions it gives you a really high time not a low one
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2013, 05:30 PM
DMAN_CT DMAN_CT is offline
Registered User
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 17
Mein Auto: CT
Launch control on X5

Just curious, how did you start launch control on a regular X5? I was thinking this feature is only for X5M.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:04 PM
PAX5 PAX5 is online now
Freude am Fahren
Location: Pennsylvania
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 950
Mein Auto: X5 50i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensteeley View Post
... but this sure felt under 6.
How do you "feel" the time element of speed (speed = distance over unit time)?

If I can duplicate that "feeling" with a 3.5i, I am dropping my search for a 5.0i and save myself $10K ...
__________________
PAX5
BMWCCA #20645
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 PM
finnbmw's Avatar
finnbmw finnbmw is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta, GA
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 845
Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAX5 View Post
If I can duplicate that "feeling" with a 3.5i, I am dropping my search for a 5.0i and save myself $10K ...
Why not get a 35i and put a Dinan tune in it? http://www.dinancars.com/shop/D900-3...1).aspx#page=1

$2,000 (-15% discount until end of month) gets you 355 hp and 401 lb/ft torque.

Maybe that's what the OP has in his X5, a tune?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM
sparrky sparrky is offline
Registered User
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: X5
Yes, explain how you initiated launch control on the 35i premium.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-24-2013, 07:27 AM
RockChips RockChips is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Location
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
I had a loaner 35i that was a monster! Car just flew. Dont know about 5.2 seconds but it felt nearly as fast as my 50 with M-Performance pack. Drove other 35s and were not even remoteley up to snuff. Apperently there is a very wide variation between individual cars.

I wonder if the dealer did something to the loaner so that people would want to buy one.....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-24-2013, 09:15 AM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,083
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
I wonder if the dealer did something to the loaner so that people would want to buy one.....
I think maybe "Z51vette" had a lite lunch that day
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:32 AM
Die Wolfe's Avatar
Die Wolfe Die Wolfe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,053
Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
How accurate is this app??? I want it now!
__________________
2013 BMW X5///M
2012 BMW 535i M Sport
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-24-2013, 10:58 AM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,083
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
How accurate is this app??? I want it now!
Ummm mr M / launch control why do u even care I can vouch that ur car is a rocketship
This app applies to us average 35/50 street people
Lol
On a side note everytime i try to use it the app says " can't find GPS connection"
So I keep telling myself its because if the sonic exhaust roar my 50 makes that is interfering with the satellites
I'm a dreamer
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by z51vette View Post
I had a loaner 35i that was a monster! Car just flew. Dont know about 5.2 seconds but it felt nearly as fast as my 50 with M-Performance pack. Drove other 35s and were not even remoteley up to snuff. Apperently there is a very wide variation between individual cars.
I had a 50i ZMP as a loaner with the stock 19s, no adaptive drive or M Performance, didn't really feel that much more powerful then our 35i, on ramps it was a tad bit quicker but not much. Wonder if we got a dud 50i, or that the ZMX package does make that much of a difference on both models. I'd like to drive a 50i with adaptive drive to see if it fixes the heavy front end feeling, but the standard ZMP just wasn't as fun to drive.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 AM
Die Wolfe's Avatar
Die Wolfe Die Wolfe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,053
Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Ummm mr M / launch control why do u even care I can vouch that ur car is a rocketship
This app applies to us average 35/50 street people
Lol
On a side note everytime i try to use it the app says " can't find GPS connection"
So I keep telling myself its because if the sonic exhaust roar my 50 makes that is interfering with the satellites
I'm a dreamer
Lol! Hey I wanna know my times too! Hahaha
__________________
2013 BMW X5///M
2012 BMW 535i M Sport
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-24-2013, 12:25 PM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,083
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Wolfe View Post
Lol! Hey I wanna know my times too! Hahaha
Download the app and post ur times sport!
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,083
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
I had a 50i ZMP as a loaner with the stock 19s, no adaptive drive or M Performance, didn't really feel that much more powerful then our 35i, on ramps it was a tad bit quicker but not much. Wonder if we got a dud 50i, or that the ZMX package does make that much of a difference on both models. I'd like to drive a 50i with adaptive drive to see if it fixes the heavy front end feeling, but the standard ZMP just wasn't as fun to drive.
honestly its night and day ive driven both, im suprised u didnt feel that much of a difference
did u put it in DS mode? im sure u did though! ur no amateur
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-24-2013, 01:48 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by bensteeley View Post
Just did a 0-60 run with my 2011 X5 35i premium using BMW M Power meter to measure a 0-60 run. I had traction off and launch control at just below 3000 rpm's And my time was 5.2 seconds. I followed all directions and phone was lying flat. It definitely felt the 5.2 seconds but just wondering if this is even possible
Just not physically possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAN_CT View Post
Just curious, how did you start launch control on a regular X5? I was thinking this feature is only for X5M.
Very good question. Something doesn't "smell right" here. Even if he ordered the M cosmetic package with his 35i preimum, I don't think it would include the M button that is REQUIRED for launch control, does it"?
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 03-24-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:04 PM
ND40oz ND40oz is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Denver
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 601
Mein Auto: 09 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
honestly its night and day ive driven both, im suprised u didnt feel that much of a difference
did u put it in DS mode? im sure u did though! ur no amateur
Yeah, I was surprised, I was expecting it to be like the difference between the 128i and 135i. Probably got the one they filled with regular by accident or something.
__________________
09 135i 6MT, ZMP, PPK1
13 X5 35i ZMP, ZMX, 2VA
13 Tiguan SEL 4motion
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:06 PM
RockChips RockChips is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Location
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensteeley View Post
Just did a 0-60 run with my 2011 X5 35i premium using BMW M Power meter to measure a 0-60 run. I had traction off and launch control at just below 3000 rpm's And my time was 5.2 seconds. I followed all directions and phone was lying flat. It definitely felt the 5.2 seconds but just wondering if this is even possible

You have launch control?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:09 PM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,083
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChips View Post
You have launch control?
Op is all confused n sht! Lol
Now we're all confused
We've all downloaded the app and
R trying to get 5.2 in all cars
Classic
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:13 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Op is all confused n sht! Lol
Now we're all confused
We've all downloaded the app and
R trying to get 5.2 in all cars
Classic
M-buttons on non-M vehicles, Flying pigs, Cats & dogs living together... It's all just pure kaos I tell ya!
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 03-24-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:39 PM
5seriesHB's Avatar
5seriesHB 5seriesHB is offline
2 Bimmers R better than 1
Location: California
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,083
Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
M-buttons on non-M vehicles, Flying pigs, Cats & dogs living together... It's all just pure kaos I tell ya!
I wish OP could give us clarification
What he meant by Launch control
Maybe he meant traction control
DSC
__________________
It will all work out in the end....and if it hasn't worked out yet, its not the end!

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-24-2013, 02:51 PM
ndabunka's Avatar
ndabunka ndabunka is offline
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,668
Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
I wish OP could give us clarification
What he meant by Launch control
Maybe he meant traction control
DSC
yea, agree. I even saw one YouTube video of a guy with an X5d claiming he was using "launch control" when in fact all he was REALLY doing was holding the brake down while pressing on the accelerator. Pretty much as NON "launch control" as you can get yet the video is out there and nobody has yet bothered to post how much of an idiot that guy is so he will likely simply continue onward in his blissful ignorance.
__________________


'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Die Wolfe's Avatar
Die Wolfe Die Wolfe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,053
Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
yea, agree. I even saw one YouTube video of a guy with an X5d claiming he was using "launch control" when in fact all he was REALLY doing was holding the brake down while pressing on the accelerator. Pretty much as NON "launch control" as you can get yet the video is out there and nobody has yet bothered to post how much of an idiot that guy is so he will likely simply continue onward in his blissful ignorance.
Lol! I love those kinds of people!
__________________
2013 BMW X5///M
2012 BMW 535i M Sport
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms