Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 AM

Mein Auto: Marmon
New member with questions

Hi all,
I am considering a '90 535i with auto. Supposedly the car in question has a blown diff. A quick look on the net leads me to believe that used diff shouldn't be too much.
So now for the questions.
How likely is a diff to fail on these models? My experiance is most diff's are one of the last things to fail unless run out of oil or abused.
Any other things I should look at before purchase?
What are the weak point and strong points of this model?
It would be way to nice if it was the "bisket joint" behind the trans, but I haven't got to where I can see whats happening with the car yet.
Ads by Google
Old 03-23-2013, 08:21 AM
My other ride is ur wife

Mein Auto: 535is-m
Can you get it up in the air to have a good look at it..?? If the diff failed and it hasn't been driven, check the rear tyres, they'll show signs of abuse if its been abused... Great car otherwise!

Get in, sit down, hang on, shut up!!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:41 AM

What kind of fuel mileage could I expect driveing it mild? I'm just looking for basic transportation and the price of this car is cheap enough that even with a used diff, would be a good buy.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 AM
My other ride is ur wife

Mein Auto: 535is-m
i couldnt tell you mate, its not something i ever worry about... like all cars though it depends how you drive it...! One of the other forum members mite be better able to fill you in about that... do a thread search!! Buy it if the diff isnt a concern, you wont regret it!! post pics if you can...

Get in, sit down, hang on, shut up!!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1994 530i, 1977 320i
averaging around 16 mpg. if you can get this car for $1500 or so in running shape, even with that differential, that's about right, it could last you quite a while if you do the regular maintenance and drive it "soft"

if there is any way for you to look for a masked transmission problem that will cause the tranny to fail before you buy it, that would be ideal because if that is being hidden and goes out on you after you buy it, it'll cost you the price of the car in parts alone to get it fixed

Last edited by manuelwindows; 03-23-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the replys. I was able to start it and run it for a little while, The diff is defenatly blown (drive shaft spins, but no output and no speedo). recent waterpump, but low coolant light on and smell of coolant out the exhaust. SO likely headgasket+ diff is more then I want to do, even for $850.
Got to look at the title, this owner only had for a year and a half, while the previous title owner had the same last name. Looks like a car handed down to son, and son ran it into the ground.
I'll keep looking.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:11 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbinder89 View Post
Thanks for the replys. I was able to start it and run it for a little while, The diff is defenatly blown (drive shaft spins, but no output and no speedo). recent waterpump, but low coolant light on and smell of coolant out the exhaust. SO likely headgasket+ diff is more then I want to do, even for $850.
Got to look at the title, this owner only had for a year and a half, while the previous title owner had the same last name. Looks like a car handed down to son, and son ran it into the ground.
I'll keep looking.
You are wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold