Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 AM

Mein Auto: 4.8is X5
key fob problem

Hi All. This is my first time on any sort of forum but I am looking for help. My wife and I have recently had our 2004 4.8is X5 stolen. After a very lengthy and stressful investigation from the insurance company, they have today declined our insurance claim. They have said that the key odometer readings on the last 2 keys used were only 7km difference in total but should have been more like 107km. We are being accused of lying to the insurance company, which in my eyes is defimation of character as we have done nothing wrong. We had 2 aftermarket keys copied for the X5 and it also had an aftermarket computer fitted as well. Does anyone know of any issues or the probability of the key fobs reading different to the actual odometer cluster? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Batchy
Ads by Google
Old 04-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMWx5
Unhappy Key FOB

I recently purchased the 2006 X5 and it only had one key...which is how I ended up on Bimmerfest. Looking to buy additional keys..in the event of some disaster. I read your post..please let me know what the outcome is. This is very interesting to me, in regard to theft...re: the keys. Hope all works out with the insurance...This is unreal, but good to know for all.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
I'm not sure if it's just me...but I don't quite understand what the insurance company is saying about the difference in mileage.

On our BMWs...mileage is stored in the LCM (lamp control module) and in the IKE (instrument cluster electronics), and also the key. Except the key is updated when it is inserted into the ignition and communicates its ISN (individual serial number) with the other EWS components (in the case of mileage, the DME/ECU updates the key).

If for some reason you changed the LCM or instrument cluster and didn't get either coded to your car...they would have different information. If the VIN doesn't match, then the tamper (manipulation dot) will be illuminated, and the exchange of information won't take place between the LCM & cluster. I'm not sure what happens with the data that is shared with the key:

(below is what the BMW key readers look like using the old style & newer keys for BMWs with iDrive)

(below is some of the info that is retrieved from a BMW key)

Below is a video on how the key reader can be used and what data can be retrieved:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg