Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-23-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i
Hopelessly confused between Extended Warranty and Extended Maintenance

Howdy everyone,

First post for me, but I've been lurking for quite a while!

I have a 2009 328i that has 41k mi on it and is approaching the end of extended maintenance at the end of March. Generally speaking, the car has performed well, although I just had the entire computer swapped out after every warning light began flashing for no reason. I was without the car for 10 days as the new computer had to be shipped from Germany. My dealer gave me a loaner for that period, which kept me happy.

I have not changed the brakes, which I hear is the next item on the list to be serviced.

I'm now at a decision point with this car. Should I get the extended maintenance, extended warranty, neither, or both?

The combined cost I was quoted for ex maintenance AND ex warranty was close to $5k, which seemed a bit steep.

From searching around this forum, and others, most seem to agree that ex maintenance is not really worth it, since it typically runs $2200 or so, and if you add up the expected costs of brakes, routine maintenance, etc. the cost is roughly $1800. For $400 I suppose you get the added security of any unforseen costs.

Extended warranty, however, is more of a mystery to me. Given the onboard computer failure, and nagging warning lights once in a while, I'm not sure what to do. I was quoted somewhere around $3k for extending the warranty for two more years. What kind of peace of mind do I actually get with an extended warranty? I understand it's $50 per warranty visit (co-pay I guess), but what is the downside risk of going off of warranty?

I'd like to keep this car until 100k mi or I'm bored with it, whichever comes first

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2013, 12:33 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Caveat I would not do either. The 328 is a farily reliable car and there have been issues with the valve train sometimes causing head replacement but other than that nothing special.
My advice is to seek out a good independent BMW mechanic and use him to maintain the car.
For example the indy can do the brake rotor and pad replacement (when needed by the way not just at a certain mileage) using quality parts like Zimmerman or Brembo rotors and good qualiy pads and a brake pad sensor if tripped.
Spending $5K for a few more years to 100K miles makes no financial sense while it does provide peace of mind.
Your computer failure is pretty rare I would not translate that to the entire car.
Again in the end it is your decision.
I have found extended warranty and extended maintenance never to be worth the investment...
Old 03-23-2013, 12:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
...I have found extended warranty and extended maintenance never to be worth the investment...
Especially since the OP is only putting 10~11k miles yearly on the car. The odds of spending $5,000 in (covered) maintenance and repairs on his car over the next 2 years are pretty slim. So I would bank the $5k for maintenance and then take an extended vacation with all of the money left over after two years.

Tom
Old 03-23-2013, 01:53 PM

Thanks to both responders. I've been leaning that way too, but having never owned a BMW (let alone a 'luxury' car) I wasn't quite sure what to do here. I keep hearing how expensive it is to repair BMWs, but I think some of that is actually lore pushed by the company to keep people in these expensive relationships.

I figure I'll have to do brakes soon enough, but the rest of the money can be saved up to replace my wife's Subaru with an X3 soon!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:12 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguefury View Post
Thanks to both responders. I've been leaning that way too, but having never owned a BMW (let alone a 'luxury' car) I wasn't quite sure what to do here. I keep hearing how expensive it is to repair BMWs, but I think some of that is actually lore pushed by the company to keep people in these expensive relationships.

I figure I'll have to do brakes soon enough, but the rest of the money can be saved up to replace my wife's Subaru with an X3 soon!
Your car should tell you when brakes are due?

Brake fluid change is due at 48 months so get it in to the dealer for that before your 48 month maintenance expires.

Also say wiper blades are streaking ......

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)

Last edited by laser; 03-23-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:

Relatively speaking they're expensive to repair. Whether you should buy the warranty depends on what repairs you feel you may incur and if you can afford them. My opinion is if a repair would be some kind of hardship for you then get the warranty (keeping in mind the cost of repairs may be below the cost of the warranty).
Old 03-25-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: '08 Montego Blue 335i
Quote:

I can tell you from first hand experience that it is not folk lore. BMW's are not reliable cars. They sure are fun to drive and look nice but reliability is not their strong front. Just look at the F30 forum and you can see people reporting taking delivery with 12 miles on the car and at 85 miles turning right around to go back to the dealership because the car went into limp mode. Seems like the F30 has another HPFP issue but this time it's realted to the fan. Call it fangate.

Anyways, you don't seem to drive enough to really potentially take advantage of the extended "repair" maintenance. I would def pass of the service warranty as that's a complete joke. BMW definitely has the favor on that warranty whereas on the "repair" warranty, the consumer actually has a chance to coming out on top. Soemthings to consider though is that the extended "repair" warranty has many exclusions so even if you have repairs, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything will be covered.

Having said that, I've had my fair share of issues post warranty and they have all been covered by the extended "repair" warranty so I've made my money back and then some. All of my issues have been related to the engine.

Keep in mind I have an N54 so I'm not sure how reliable the 328 is and if the issues I've had are specific to the 335 or also transfer to the 328.

At the end of the day, it's a gamble. Just ask yourself if you feel more comfortable knowing that if an issue arises within the next 2 years/50k miles, BMW might cover it. ...MIGHT cover it is the key. On the other hand, keep in mind that any repair by the dealer is super expensive.

About a couple of weeks ago, my water pump broke (a very common problem that would have cost me about $1100 per the dealer) was covered under my extended "repair" warranty but before they even did anything, they wanted me to sign a document that I would agree to pay a $150 diagnosising fee and if the issue was covered, I wouldn't have to pay but if it wasn't covered, it's my responsibility to pay that fee even if I then take the car to an independent repair person.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
Quote:
For the brakes, remember that the extended maintenance covers the pads and rotors ONLY if the rotors are worn below minimum thickness specification. If not, the plan will only replace the pads, and you must pick up the cost of the rotors (if you want them replaced).

IMO, the extended maintenance plan is usually not a good deal for the consumer.

The extended warranty MAY be worthwhile for a 335i, but the 328i is among the most reliable cars built by BMW.

Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
OK
1) It's worth it to get extended warranty. If your car breaks down, it can get really pricey to fix. It's not that BMWs break more then the other guys, just that it's hella more expensive.
2) You can get extended warranty / maintenance ANYWHERE - meaning you don't have to get it at your BMW shop
3) Given #2 - go to the board sponsors section and e-mail all of the board sponsors. You will get a price that is WAY better then $5,000 which is an outrageous, non-lubing surprise butt-sex price

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
Especially since the OP is only putting 10~11k miles yearly on the car. The odds of spending $5,000 in (covered) maintenance and repairs on his car over the next 2 years are pretty slim. So I would bank the $5k for maintenance and then take an extended vacation with all of the money left over after two years.

Tom
I had 4 things go bad in less than a month totaling just under $4000 of repairs. I drive less then 10k per year. I also take really good care of my ride (7500 mile oil changes, proactive in getting checkups, never cheap out or "hold off"). Sometimes things happen and in these cars when it breaks, it takes your wallet with it

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:37 PM

So, the warning light for the light fuse went off over the weekend, and I took my car in to the dealership this morning. With my maintenance plan expiring on Friday, they were able to squeeze in, on maintenance, front brake replacement (~$700), but not the rear brakes. I figure that savings alone keeps me from buying extended maintenance.

Given the warning light, it made me think about the warranty extension, but like several of the posters above suggested, I think setting aside the money myself is probably a better idea than handing it over to BMW.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:45 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Depends how long you plan to keep the car. In all honesty, once your warranty/maintenance runs out you should start looking for a good indy mechanic who charges less then the dealerships. $700 in brakes is way too much

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-25-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Depends how long you plan to keep the car. In all honesty, once your warranty/maintenance runs out you should start looking for a good indy mechanic who charges less then the dealerships. $700 in brakes is way too much

Yea, I agree. Since I go off warranty this week, I've been asking around for a good mechanic in my area. Luckily, there are a few that get rave reviews.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 335i convertible
Same situation here. I have a 2011 335 at 48k. We put alot of mileage on our cars. I'm taking it in for one last service. Does anyone know of a good indy in the Toms River, Jersey Shore area?