Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-23-2013, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW x3
Question Time for New Tires - What's best

Hi all, It's time to replace the Pirelli Scorpions on my '08 x3. I haven't been a fan of the Pirelli tire on the x3. Find it a bit bouncy and not great on wet roads as it likes to aqua-plane. The other OE tire suggested by BMW is the Bridgestone Turanzo (not sure on spelling). I have always had Michelins on my 2001 325xi and they have been great. Will it matter if I out Michelins on the x3 or should I stick to one of the two OE BMW recommendations?
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
I have Goodyear Eagle GT's (W speed rated) but they probably will ride to stiff for you by the sounds of it...BUT they are absolutely amazing tires in the rain!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderguyx3 View Post
Hi all, It's time to replace the Pirelli Scorpions on my '08 x3. I haven't been a fan of the Pirelli tire on the x3. Find it a bit bouncy and not great on wet roads as it likes to aqua-plane. The other OE tire suggested by BMW is the Bridgestone Turanzo (not sure on spelling). I have always had Michelins on my 2001 325xi and they have been great. Will it matter if I out Michelins on the x3 or should I stick to one of the two OE BMW recommendations?
I your having trouble with PS I feel sorry for you. Many festers use them with great success, myself included I'm on my second set after getting Michelins on delivery. If my X3 holds up for the mileage I would get a third set. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 03-23-2013, 09:13 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
I'd do a search, as this has been often discussed before. Every driver has different perceptions, expectations, and preferences. The OEM Pirelli Scorpions as generally well-regarded for their performance, crisp response, and longevity, at the expense of ride comfort.

If you want a softer-riding, more comfort-oriented tyre, I believe people have voted for the Michelin um......whatever their general passenger car, all-season tires is (Primacy I think). Personally I'm probably the only one using the ContiCrossContact UHP for the X3, so I'm preaching to the choir here, but that's the other side of the spectrum, with a focus on performance and crispness.

Don't bother with Bridgestones on BMWs, seriously.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Michelin Primacy MXV4 is the tire that many use when they want a more compliant ride quality. Some, including myself, go with a size larger than stock to soften the ride a little bit. Do a search and you'll find many opinions on the best tire and the pros and cons of different tires.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
Stick with one of the few OEM tires, it matters.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 AM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Michelin Defender is also a soft comfortable choice and they come with the MOTHER of mileage warranties!

I will soon change my summer tires to Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico, expensive, but drove an X5 with them and my jaw fell. Amazing tires!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:38 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
I do recommend this ^
Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
oh boy another tire thread.

Conti DWS for the win! 235/50/18 all around
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
TTFS IAT Kit
TTFS Alpha N
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |
Old 03-26-2013, 08:22 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
sizes, not tires. car doesn't care what your tires are it cares what outside diameter they are. if you are not staggered you have plenty of choices, if you are staggered there's only few.
I stand by DWS.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:19 AM

Think again

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmareuki View Post
sizes, not tires. car doesn't care what your tires are it cares what outside diameter they are. if you are not staggered you have plenty of choices, if you are staggered there's only few.
I stand by DWS.
Perhaps you should discuss your belief with the service manager next time you are at your local dealership. Just run it by him to see what he says. It does matter according to mine, why I don't know but it does according to BMW.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM
MotorPress.ca

Just Ordered four Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus for my X3 at CAD $219/tire.

Was a long quest to decide what to go for.. debated between

1) Continental ExtremeContact DWS - $195
2) Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus - $219
3) Michelin Pilot MXM4 - $225
4) Bridgestone Potenza RE040 - $249
5) Pirelli Scorpion P Zero Asimmetrico - $250
6) Pirelli P7 Cinturato - $255
7) Pirelli Scorpion Verde - $255

Wanted the P Zero Asimmetrico, but it was a bit too expensive..
Continental TouringContact AS are on the car now, and didnt like them at all so DWS was out cause of that. (yes, unfair but no more contis)
The Pilot MXM4 is just too old (since 2005)
The Potenza was expensive and too sporty/summer
P7 big bucks just like the scorpion verde summer.

I do have winter tires so I didnt really need all-season tires, but got them just in case a snow storm catches me off-guard.

Went for the Turanzas cause they got an excellent rank at tirerack testing, they have long life tread wear and can work in the event of sudden snow and they were reasonably priced.

Will let you know what they feel like once they are on the car (tomorrow evening).

Last edited by sjladopoulos; 03-26-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: '07 550i Sport, '07 X3
Quote:
Perhaps you should discuss your belief with the service manager next time you are at your local dealership. Just run it by him to see what he says. It does matter according to mine, why I don't know but it does according to BMW.
I don't know any reason why the car would care what brand of tires were on it, as long as they are all the same, and have the same tread depth. It is true that some tires are noisier/harder/softer/quieter/crisper/more numb etc., but this is a characteristic of the tire. BMW generally likes to recommend a tire that strikes a balance that is slightly on the sporty side in order to support their sport luxury image.

That said it is marginally possible there be some other reason that I am unaware of in regards to the X3.

In general what the service advisor tells you should not be taken as gospel. For example, my service advisor told me there is no reason to EVER change the transmission oil. When I asked him why the manual printed for my vehicle said to do it at 100k he said "we do the oil changes on pre-99 vehicles, but anything after that should not be changed". He gave me the usual BS arguments about possibly breaking the transmission, etc. I asked him how this applied to pre-99 vehicles yet was printed in the owners manual of a vehicle that didn't even exist until 04. He had no answer.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

If we are talking about 4 tires in one of the stock sizes (not staggered):

- tires with the BMW star on them are known to work perfectly well with xDrive.

- tires without the BMW star on them in most cases will work perfectly well with xDrive but there could be exceptions

Why would there be exceptions?

Possibly because tire sizes are not absolute? Manufacturer A's 235/50/18 is not necessarily the same size as Manufacturer B's 235/50/18.

Of course that doesn't matter unless there are variations within a set of tires. Some manufacturers may not be as good as others in ensuring that.

Or what about tread design? If the X3 suspension was designed in collaboration with Pirelli engineers, does it follow that another tire brand with an innovative tread pattern will work just as well?

Maybe, maybe not.

Adventurous owners will experiment, while others will want to pay a bit more and be sure of the results.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: '07 550i Sport, '07 X3
I would agree with what supercourse has said and add that:

1. most of us are not looking at cheap tires, therefore the circumference thing is probably a non-issue between two tires of the same model.

2. tread pattern could easily affect handling and effectiveness of the vehicle's awd system to correct errors, but I don't see how it could damage the vehicle as long as they are all the same tread pattern.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
MotorPress.ca

Guys guys... hold on...

Do you really think that the OE tires are selected to match the handling characteristics of the car?
Do you really think that they are designed in parallel with the suspension?

haha, no!

the manufacturers just select a top 5 that suit the engineering quality of their vehicles and then go on a price grabber rally with tire suppliers. The best price wins.

Yes, the tire characteristics can define a car's handling, yes, the tread pattern can alter camber caster angles as they might pull our or squeeze in the control arms, but BUT we are not talking about Ferraris n shiat here.

BMW ONLY hand picks tires for the M models.

How do I know? Cause all over the world, they come with the same tires.

The X3? in Canada some came with STRs, others with Michelin MXM4.. in US the same..
In Europe, they came with Continental TouringContact AS and the sport package with SportContact 2, some late models came with P7 or P6...

So where I am going at, is, the tire category, dimensions, load and speed rating is important. The brand model is up to your needs/budget. The X3 will not slap it's forehead and say "what have you done!?!?!"
Old 03-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
any major brand tire will have lower variations in overall diameter (this is what the xdrive is sensitive to, differences in overall diameter) a Goodyear, Michelin, Conti, etc will have much tighter manufacturing specs than Nitto, General, Nexxan or whatever, Federal, Fuzion, etc. Personally I run Goodyear Eagle GT W rated tires and have never had any xdrive errors, but I also change my xdrive fluid out regularly.

I dont see tire brand being an issue as long as you change them all at the same time with the same size. Reference the large contingent of members on this board running DWS's with zero issues.

as per service advisors....I dont trust them any farther than I can throw one.....most of the members on this board know more about BMW's than those idiots do.

Last edited by fivepointnine; 03-26-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
The age-old question as to which tires to buy.....

I'm about to alientate everyone on this forum.

About a month ago I put new tires on my 2004 X3. I loved the way the Pirelli Scorpions STRs that were on it handled, but I hated the harsh ride.

My X3 is basically a grocery-getter. I'm not out assaulting the streets during my Sunday drives. So, as I shopped for tires I took into consideration my driving style and my pocketbook. After MUCH consideration, I had the local tire dealer install a set of Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring tires. GASP, SHOCK, HORROR! Hide your women and children! Lefty didn't buy Pirelli or Michelin! LOL!

The local dealer installed these tires, included a FREE all-wheel alignment AND free road hazard for $538 out-the-door.

Do they grip in tight corners just like the Pirellis at high speeds? Nope, but is this the way I drive? Nope.
Do they ride like the Michelins? Yep. The Uniroyals outperform the Pirellis in the ride comfort catagory. No comparison.

The only issue I have had with the Uniroyals is the "tramlining" (Google it) I experienced when they were new. The Uni's grip the grooves in the highway a little to well.
The tires were inflated to Fronts=PSI 32, Rears=PSI 38 as recommended on the sticker in the doorjam of my X3. I lowered the Rear PSI to 35 and it reduced the tramlining considerably.

I live in Michigan. I've driven the Uniroyals through two very bad snow storms. I wasn't overly impressed, but I did get to where I needed to go. The Pirellis were awesome in the snow, even when they were worn down. I have no doubt even the worst snow tire on the market probably performs better than the Uniroyals. I will probably invest in snow tires for next Winter.

I recently bought Yokohama Avid Tourings for my daughter's 99 Camry. These tires also didn't impress me in the snow.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 AM
MotorPress.ca

UPDATE:

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus just got fitted (235/55/17 99V).

Drove 10km in them,

First impressions:

+ steering got lighter but feedback still top notch
+ very quiet
+ softer over pot holes
+ they look nice
+ Braking feels much improved

- initial turn response a bit numb
- cost me CAD $1,036 out the door (installation + balancing free)

Will be driving on the highway soon and according to the weather forecast we should be getting a rain/snow mix tomorrow so more testing to be done.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:42 AM

New tires always perform better

New tires always perform much better in almost every category due to their being, uh- new. Wait until you get 10,000 miles on them and reevaluate, however by then you won't remember how the old ones perform that long ago when they had that same mileage. Seat of the pants tire comparisons are very very subjective and inaccurate in my humble opinion. Technical test and comparisons fare much better with me.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercourse View Post
The truth probably lies somewhere in between.

If we are talking about 4 tires in one of the stock sizes (not staggered):

- tires with the BMW star on them are known to work perfectly well with xDrive.

- tires without the BMW star on them in most cases will work perfectly well with xDrive but there could be exceptions

Why would there be exceptions?

Possibly because tire sizes are not absolute? Manufacturer A's 235/50/18 is not necessarily the same size as Manufacturer B's 235/50/18.

Of course that doesn't matter unless there are variations within a set of tires. Some manufacturers may not be as good as others in ensuring that.

Or what about tread design? If the X3 suspension was designed in collaboration with Pirelli engineers, does it follow that another tire brand with an innovative tread pattern will work just as well?

Maybe, maybe not.

Adventurous owners will experiment, while others will want to pay a bit more and be sure of the results.
BMW must have miscalculated because my rear diff was replaced with oem still installed. lol

but in any case. xDrive doesn't know what tires are installed, it cares for outside diameter, so only staggered setups need to worry about tires
Old 03-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Quote:
New tires always perform much better in almost every category due to their being, uh- new. Wait until you get 10,000 miles on them and reevaluate, however by then you won't remember how the old ones perform that long ago when they had that same mileage. Seat of the pants tire comparisons are very very subjective and inaccurate in my humble opinion. Technical test and comparisons fare much better with me.
Agreed. Every new tire will feel better than a worn, old one. It's how a tire feels after 20, 30, 40, or even 50.000 km that matters.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjladopoulos View Post
UPDATE:

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus just got fitted (235/55/17 99V).

Drove 10km in them,

First impressions:

+ steering got lighter but feedback still top notch
+ very quiet
+ softer over pot holes
+ they look nice
+ Braking feels much improved

- initial turn response a bit numb
- cost me CAD $1,036 out the door (installation + balancing free)

Will be driving on the highway soon and according to the weather forecast we should be getting a rain/snow mix tomorrow so more testing to be done.

Congrats on the Bridgestones. Those were also on my list. I read a lot of good reviews regarding their snow handling abilities. Please continue posting updates.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:12 PM

For those of you considering the Michelin Defenders. You may want to contact Michelin prior to your purchase.

I called Michelin before I bought my Uniroyals (it's the same customer service number as Michelin) and I asked about the Defenders. They flat out told me that they do not recommend that tire for my X3. Instead, Michelin recommended the Primacy and the Pilot (I can't remember the specific models). Their customer service person also recommended the BF Goodrich Advantage T/A and, of course, the Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring.

The Defender does come in the 235/55R17 that I needed, but since Michelin didn't recommend their own product for my vehicle, I didn't buy. I have to admit, I was still tempted because of the awesome warranty (90k) and the local Discount Tire offered them to me for $800 out the door.

-LR
Old 03-27-2013, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty_Russ View Post
They flat out told me that they do not recommend that tire for my X3.
They should have told you it was because it's a T-speed rated tire.

(One or two sizes may have been added recently in a H-speed rating.)