Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty_Russ View Post
The tires were inflated to Fronts=PSI 32, Rears=PSI 38 as recommended on the sticker in the doorjam of my X3. I lowered the Rear PSI to 35 and it reduced the tramlining considerably.
My placard indicates 32/38 psi when at max. vehicle weight (4 persons + full luggage)

For just 4 persons, it specifies 29/32 psi

The way they list the various tire sizes with symbols does make it hard to decipher.

And having the full load specs. above the normal load ones doesn't help.

But 32/35 is a good plan anyway for most purposes.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Michelin Primacy MXV4s. And be sure you get road force balancing.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 AM
BMW to the bone

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
This was one of my top picks till I found out how slippery it gets in the wet below its 50% life.
My friend that owns a tire shop, told me that most SUVs with Primacy MXV4 (Mercedes especially) come for new tires after the first year.

Tirerack has them top rated on the other hand...

In general, I tend to stay away from brands I had bad experiences with and return to the ones I was happy with.

What I have owned so far (as long as I can remember)

on my BMW E30
- Bridgestone RE71 - great
- Goodyear Eagle Touring - horrible!
- Michelin Pilot Exalto - AMAZING
- Kuhmo Carat - Horrible
- Continental SportContact2 - amazing for 6 months!
- Dunlop SP 3000 - average

on my Fiat Barchetta
- Pirelli P6 - Great!
- Bridgestone Turanza - good
- Continental SportContact3 - amazing for a year!

on my Honda Accord Coupe
- Pirelli Carving Edge - amazing!
- Nexen something - horrible!
- BFGoodrich g-Force - good

on my BMW X3
- Continental TouringContact AS - average
- Hankook Ice Bear W300 - good

- Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus - pending
Old 03-28-2013, 02:57 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalfee View Post
I've heard about this and time-to-time consider it. However, the "regular" balancing has never proved to be an issue for me

As for pressures, I run 2,4 bar front and rear which is roughly 35psi. It's not like I'm carrying lead weights in the trunk.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
[QUOTE=Supercourse;7477112]My placard indicates 32/38 psi when at max. vehicle weight (4 persons + full luggage)

For just 4 persons, it specifies 29/32 psi
QUOTE]

Supercourse, thank you for the info. I'm spending most of next week driving through the Smokey Mountains. I'll try your recommended PSIs. I think I'll try the 29/32 for mpg on the trip down. Right now I get 24 - 26 mpg @ 70 mph with the higher PSI. @75mph I get around 22-24 mpg depending on the terrain. The first five hours of my trip will be across Northern Ohio. It's pretty flat on the 80/90 Toll Road.

Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 528i xDrive
Tried conti DWS on my 17' wheels, even though the ride was very smooth, I didn't like that I have no feeling of the road, so went back pirelli p zeros on original 19' and love the response. It was hard to find tires for 19' wheels staggered setup, really nothing to chose from, discount tire said they have conti pro contact that will fit my sizes, but decided to stick with the OE pirellis in the end.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW X3
For what it's worth, after logging 1500 miles on my Uniroyal Tiger Paws Touring during Spring Break, I have no complaints. I stayed with the 30/35 tire pressure and achieved 28 MPG @ 70 MPH during the five hours across Northern Ohio. Of course, my MPG dropped dramatically while driving through Virginia and West Virginia but I can't complain about averaging 22 MPG while driving up and down the mountains. The tires gripped fine on the curvy roads and the ride was very comfortable. I can't ask for much more from a budget tire.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M Sport
Has anyone tried Kumo's? I recently traded my 01 E46 for a 08 X3 at a BMW dealer. The X3 has the M sport package. Before the put the car for sale the installed a new set of tires, the Kumo's. So far about 2500 miles and I'm still happy with the tires. Good in the rain, quite, good handling, nice ride. The same tires were installed on my wife's 08 EOS when we bought that used. It had 45k on it, 20k later tires are still performing as good as new. I never would have considered looking at the brand to replace on existing cars, but suprisingly I'm happy with them, so far.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: X3
I had Kumho Ecsta SPTs years ago and didn't like them. They rode fine but got real noisy towards the end of their lifespan and I hated the handling characteristics at the limit. Insufficient feedback thru the steering, so it was anyone's guess when they were going to let go, and when they did, they did so suddenly so it was difficult to rein it back in. I'd gone from understeer to snap oversteer and then back to understeer on more than one occasion.

Of course, if you don't drive with verve and gusto on mountainous backroads, this is less of an issue. I just felt they ruined the handling characteristics of the vehicle, not well paired.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpaavola View Post
.... Before the put the car for sale the installed a new set of tires, the Kumo's.
I would have thought dealerships have to follow the same mantra from Munich that customers are meant to.

Install only tires having the BMW * symbol embossed on them.

That dealership might be in danger of having its franchise terminated.

Seriously though, Kumho tires might have improved over the last few years, and could possibly have a tire well-suited to the X3, so keep us posted.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 M Sport
I was suprised to see the Kumo's installed at the dealer. The dealer also has a Kumo's promotional banner hanging in the service department. I have also seen these tires for sale on BMW specific web sites.
My wife's 08 VW EOS has 25,000 on the same Ecsta tires. I'm not a track day style driver, but do enjoy S turns and the clover leaf on-ramps entering the highways. The tire wear has been good and the tires still run smooth and are quite. Time for a rotation one of them has a slooow air leak, so that will get looked at.
The 08 X3 has 3500 on the tires still to low milage to say much yet. I mostly cruse the highway between 75 and 80. Smooth and quite. Same S turn enjoyment, so far.

I'll keep posting.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3
I'm following this thread because among many other things that my X3 needs right now, tires are quickly becoming one of them. I'm happy to say that we are on original Pirelli Scorpion STR at close to 65k miles and they are still at 4/32".

Having spent a bit of time on Tirerack doing a lot of spec comparisions of the top 5 selling tires in this size (Scorpion STR being one of them), I'm leaning towards the Bridgestone Turanza SERENITY PLUS (NOT the same as the OE tire Bridgestone Turanza EL42) for a few reasons:

Has a higher overall consumer rating (4.5/5 stars) compared to the other OE tires.

They are cheaper by no less than $200 for a set of 4

They are 'V' rated instead of 'H'. I realize that my wife's driving is well within the 'H' rating, but It's nice to know they can handle the higher speeds for longer periods of time.

They have a better UTQG rating/score (600)

They are the only ones to have a 'Low Rolling Resistance' rating (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=175)

So perhaps I'm just falling for a bunch of marketing gimmicks or perhaps all these figures & comparisons mean something. Either way, I don't think I can go wrong with either choice.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Just put my second set of tires on the X3 at 94K miles. I have the 18" factory option wheels, and it came with OEM Scorpions. They lasted until about 48K miles then seeking a more compliant ride I opted for the Michelin PSP. They were great and the ride was much better with equal handling excellence. As these wore down, they became harder riding (as tires will do) and since the rears were at the wear bars, or as close to it as never mind, I bought my third set from Tirerack. The new one are Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2's. The set of 4 was just under $700 with shipping, mounting and Hunter RF balancing. So far I am impressed. They ride much better than the Michelins and have equal handling so far. This is my second set of Hankook's -- I have a set on my wife's A4 and they have been excellent tires.