Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8
Exclamation Automatic Transmission Malfunction

I have gotten this warning when trying to accelerate. It says engine operation still possible, drive with reduced acceleration. I took it in to the dealer and they kept it for 5 days and said it was the shifter and replaced it. It has happened several times since then and it is currently on the weekend and dealer is not open. Has anyone else had this problem?? If so, can you enlighten me? If you turn the car off, it will operater normally after that, and the warning goes away. However, after the last time, the check engine light stays on, but the system check says everything is ok. Any help out there. It is a 2009 X5 4.8I with only 30,000 miles on it. Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I dealy hope this is under warranty.....

You need to get it diagnoses- thousands of things it could be. Did the dealer pull any codes from the engine or tranny?????
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM
Bluz

Mein Auto: 2002 3.01 Z3
I have an 02 Z 3.0 with the M/S automatic. The car has 55k miles on it. I also get the warning light from to time. I've looked at a number of internet threads and taken the car to a couple of garages. The first mechanic said "transmission fluid is low." That was wrong. The second mechanic at least did a diagnosis. He found that brake light Switch to be most likely. A number of threads I've read seem to confirm this. However, one thread claimed the fix was to replace the crankshaft position sensor. The symptoms run like this: using standard automatic mode "D" I never get the warning light - so far. I'm about to test that perception by driving exclusively in that mode for a few weeks. The warning light seems to come on after I use the Manual or Sport mode. It seems to come on quicker using Manual - within a day of use. I used Sport mode for about three days before it came on recently. All this has me a bit hesitant to change the brake light sensor. The BLS and CPS are inexpensive repairs. I'll probably go ahead to rule them out. This seems to be a common scenario. I'm sure a lot of folks are waiting for a definitive solution. Meanwhile, any success stories are helpful. If you have one that seems like it will fit here, I'd sure like to hear it.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^ What error codes do you log when this warning light comes on????????

There are probably 200 things that could turn on a warning light....