Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:08 PM
Ativan68 Ativan68 is offline
Registered User
Location: Lake City
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.8
Exclamation Automatic Transmission Malfunction

I have gotten this warning when trying to accelerate. It says engine operation still possible, drive with reduced acceleration. I took it in to the dealer and they kept it for 5 days and said it was the shifter and replaced it. It has happened several times since then and it is currently on the weekend and dealer is not open. Has anyone else had this problem?? If so, can you enlighten me? If you turn the car off, it will operater normally after that, and the warning goes away. However, after the last time, the check engine light stays on, but the system check says everything is ok. Any help out there. It is a 2009 X5 4.8I with only 30,000 miles on it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 03-23-2013, 06:56 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,168
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I dealy hope this is under warranty.....

You need to get it diagnoses- thousands of things it could be. Did the dealer pull any codes from the engine or tranny?????
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24 AM
DPZ3 DPZ3 is offline
Bluz
Location: Bothell WA
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2002 3.01 Z3
I have an 02 Z 3.0 with the M/S automatic. The car has 55k miles on it. I also get the warning light from to time. I've looked at a number of internet threads and taken the car to a couple of garages. The first mechanic said "transmission fluid is low." That was wrong. The second mechanic at least did a diagnosis. He found that brake light Switch to be most likely. A number of threads I've read seem to confirm this. However, one thread claimed the fix was to replace the crankshaft position sensor. The symptoms run like this: using standard automatic mode "D" I never get the warning light - so far. I'm about to test that perception by driving exclusively in that mode for a few weeks. The warning light seems to come on after I use the Manual or Sport mode. It seems to come on quicker using Manual - within a day of use. I used Sport mode for about three days before it came on recently. All this has me a bit hesitant to change the brake light sensor. The BLS and CPS are inexpensive repairs. I'll probably go ahead to rule them out. This seems to be a common scenario. I'm sure a lot of folks are waiting for a definitive solution. Meanwhile, any success stories are helpful. If you have one that seems like it will fit here, I'd sure like to hear it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:26 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,168
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
^^ What error codes do you log when this warning light comes on????????

There are probably 200 things that could turn on a warning light....
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-16-2014, 10:41 AM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPZ3 View Post
I have an 02 Z 3.0 with the M/S automatic. The car has 55k miles on it. I also get the warning light from to time. I've looked at a number of internet threads and taken the car to a couple of garages. The first mechanic said "transmission fluid is low." That was wrong. The second mechanic at least did a diagnosis. He found that brake light Switch to be most likely. A number of threads I've read seem to confirm this. However, one thread claimed the fix was to replace the crankshaft position sensor. The symptoms run like this: using standard automatic mode "D" I never get the warning light - so far. I'm about to test that perception by driving exclusively in that mode for a few weeks. The warning light seems to come on after I use the Manual or Sport mode. It seems to come on quicker using Manual - within a day of use. I used Sport mode for about three days before it came on recently. All this has me a bit hesitant to change the brake light sensor. The BLS and CPS are inexpensive repairs. I'll probably go ahead to rule them out. This seems to be a common scenario. I'm sure a lot of folks are waiting for a definitive solution. Meanwhile, any success stories are helpful. If you have one that seems like it will fit here, I'd sure like to hear it.

I'm having a similar issue. The car goes into limp mode (tranny malfunction drive moderately message ). This has only happened after the cruise control has "acted up". A simple restart cures it. My mechanic feels strongly that the BLS or a faulty brake light is causing computer to send "mixed messages" to the tranny. This guy is a really good mechanic so I'm hoping he's right as he said he's seen this before. Obviously my symptoms are different from yours but...the thigh bone's connected to the hip bone and so on


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-16-2014, 10:49 AM
serge1's Avatar
serge1 serge1 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: seattle
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X5 35D
Once again, what codes did the mechanic pull? That would be more useful than "I think it's brake light malfunction" BS..
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-16-2014, 12:04 PM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
I suppose I should've been more clear. There were no codes from dealer or private mechanic. As for it being "BS" I don't feel that that was called for! I like to think that this forum is a "we're all in this together" kind of a place. I don't want to come here for possible answers and get treated like a jerk. If I had the answers I wouldn't be here.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-16-2014, 01:03 PM
the kidd's Avatar
the kidd the kidd is offline
pay it forward
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 775
Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeroc321 View Post
I suppose I should've been more clear. There were no codes from dealer or private mechanic. As for it being "BS" I don't feel that that was called for! I like to think that this forum is a "we're all in this together" kind of a place. I don't want to come here for possible answers and get treated like a jerk. If I had the answers I wouldn't be here.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
it would appear to most on this forum that is is BS if there are no codes. We are not against you here. Having a code or going to someone that can pull the code would allow others on this forum to HELP you. It is total BS that there was not one code. When these cars (that many of us are very familiar with) throw a warning, a code seemingly follows. That is why another poster called you out on that. Hope you can get a code. It would be really helpful. Just my .02
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	troll_2.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	452074  
__________________
2011 X5 SAV titanium silver/black/aluminum
2013 Subaru Impreza graphite gray/black replaced the 335
RIP 335i xdrive DSB/gray
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)

Last edited by the kidd; 07-16-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-16-2014, 02:40 PM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Kidd. You're absolutely right. Here's the issue currently though. The car is not producing a code. The issue IS VERY REAL but for some reason the car will not throw a code. The place I bought it from seems to think that it needs a software upgrade. They and my mechanic both think that the cruise control is the culprit as this only happens after the CC has been used. Other wise the car runs great. The way it was explained to me was that the CC, Tranny and a host of systems are all "talking" to one another. When one of them sends "corrupted" info it sends the car into limp mode. Believe me everyone involved wishes there was a code!
:-(

I don't think my mechanic was/is BS-ing me. He had seen CC issues before that were remedied by making sure all the bulbs/connections were in good shape.

Did I mention the diagnostic computer is able to communicate with every system except the CC? That's gotta mean something right there. IMHO


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-17-2014, 03:56 AM
the kidd's Avatar
the kidd the kidd is offline
pay it forward
Location: boston
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 775
Mein Auto: X5 and Subaru Impreza
that is definitely one of the oddest malfunctions that i have personally heard of since i have owned my vehicle. I sincerely hope they can get to the bottom of your issue. Also, don't sweat the fact that people are being insensitive. If you can get past some of the snarky comments people make, they have a LOT of good advice.
__________________
2011 X5 SAV titanium silver/black/aluminum
2013 Subaru Impreza graphite gray/black replaced the 335
RIP 335i xdrive DSB/gray
RIP 2005 Subaru Legacy GT
RIP 1986 Honda Accord (involved in three car accident while pahked in the North End)
RIP 2002 Mini Cooper (90th produced)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-17-2014, 09:50 AM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Thanks Kidd

What irks me is that there is clearly issues with the trannys in bmw in general. There a number of threads regarding tranny malfunction/limp mode scenarios. Enough IMO that would warrant BMW to take action and own this problem.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:05 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,168
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeroc321 View Post
Kidd. You're absolutely right. Here's the issue currently though. The car is not producing a code. The issue IS VERY REAL but for some reason the car will not throw a code. The place I bought it from seems to think that it needs a software upgrade. They and my mechanic both think that the cruise control is the culprit as this only happens after the CC has been used. Other wise the car runs great. The way it was explained to me was that the CC, Tranny and a host of systems are all "talking" to one another. When one of them sends "corrupted" info it sends the car into limp mode. Believe me everyone involved wishes there was a code!
:-(

I don't think my mechanic was/is BS-ing me. He had seen CC issues before that were remedied by making sure all the bulbs/connections were in good shape.

Did I mention the diagnostic computer is able to communicate with every system except the CC? That's gotta mean something right there. IMHO


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Does "the place you bought it" and "your mechanic" actually have a BMW COMPUTER SYSTEM??????

or are they pulling OBD codes? The classic "everyone has one code reader" will only pull emissions codes. whereas you need BMW specific car codes.

So they may be saying "no codes" but may not be reading it with a system that will read TRANSMISSION codes.....
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:17 PM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Dealer I bought it from brought it to Wagner BMW and had them put it on an authentic BMW computer/diagnostic machine. BMW dealer said "no codes" and that the CC wouldn't communicate with their machine
Truly this is a frustrating mystery.

I'm able to drive it fine as long as I don't use the CC. In the short term I can live with this but..,


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,168
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeroc321 View Post
Dealer I bought it from brought it to Wagner BMW and had them put it on an authentic BMW computer/diagnostic machine. BMW dealer said "no codes" and that the CC wouldn't communicate with their machine
Do you find this believable???

I don't.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-18-2014, 08:24 PM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Do I find what believable? The entire statement is true I went with the guy who sold me the car!!! To the BMW service center. And yes NO CODES. Frankly it's the BMW place I find mistrustful. They make it prohibitive for anyone outside to make repairs etc. I find if all a bit arrogant. Don't get me wrong. I own two BMW cars. They're nice cars but they're not space shuttles full of top secret stuff. I mean gawd


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-18-2014, 09:55 PM
ard ard is online now
Resident Curmudgeon
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 9,168
Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Believe me I understand your sentiments. And agree with some of it.

But a couple of things...

Dont let your mistrust and anger at BM/BMW dealerships to blind you to manipulation by the selling dealer.

If this car was under warranty, this would be fixed and paid for in full- they'd access codes, they'd replace CC modules, communication ports, blah, blah, until 'everyone communicated', etc, etc

But if there is a budget constraint, then "cant get it to communicate, oh well- just one of those BMW things" combined with "We tried, but they just cant get anything"

Indeed, if the selling dealer wasnt saying "pull the codes and report the problem" but instead said "fix the car, send us the bill" you'd find a different answer. IMO.

Does it suck that BMW dealers use the complexity of the car/diagnostic process as a commercial lever- to abuse customers/victims? Yes. Some more than others. But it happens with all cars, all marques IMO. They arent in the business of helping owners that bought used cars from someone else...they are in the business of making as much money as they can. They dont care.

So it isnt that the problem is unfixable, it is that given the cost constraints, the BMW dealer cannot or will not fix/diagnose the issue.
__________________
Keep it as simple as possible...but no simpler.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-20-2014, 05:40 AM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Believe me I understand your sentiments. And agree with some of it.

But a couple of things...

Dont let your mistrust and anger at BM/BMW dealerships to blind you to manipulation by the selling dealer.

If this car was under warranty, this would be fixed and paid for in full- they'd access codes, they'd replace CC modules, communication ports, blah, blah, until 'everyone communicated', etc, etc

But if there is a budget constraint, then "cant get it to communicate, oh well- just one of those BMW things" combined with "We tried, but they just cant get anything"

Indeed, if the selling dealer wasnt saying "pull the codes and report the problem" but instead said "fix the car, send us the bill" you'd find a different answer. IMO.

Does it suck that BMW dealers use the complexity of the car/diagnostic process as a commercial lever- to abuse customers/victims? Yes. Some more than others. But it happens with all cars, all marques IMO. They arent in the business of helping owners that bought used cars from someone else...they are in the business of making as much money as they can. They dont care.

So it isnt that the problem is unfixable, it is that given the cost constraints, the BMW dealer cannot or will not fix/diagnose the issue.

Ard, I appreciate your input but the selling dealer is not being manipulative. I personally spoke to the guy at BMW about this and he said to me over the phone that the CC is not in communication with the diagnostic computer. He cannot figure out why. So it appears that because my particular issue seems only to occur after using CC that this will need to be replaced. After that I guess we'll see what's what. And yes the selling dealer understands this and WILL BE paying for the replacement. The car is under warranty (in as much as it has a "used car warranty" )


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
aljohnnyboy aljohnnyboy is offline
Registered User
Location: sacramento
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2009 bmw x5
I had this problem multiple times,.they just warranty replaced my tranny. 50 deductible...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aljohnnyboy View Post
I had this problem multiple times,.they just warranty replaced my tranny. 50 deductible...


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Can I ask. Were your symptoms identical to mine? My car ONLY does this after using the cruise control. Otherwise it shifts and runs fine.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Today, 12:58 PM
aljohnnyboy aljohnnyboy is offline
Registered User
Location: sacramento
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2009 bmw x5
Odd that u say that.. Now that I think about it, I did use cruise control those times. It would happen a lot on long road trips. Normally I would just turn the car off and on just to reset the tranny, but the last straw for me was when the engine light came on


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old Today, 02:15 PM
joeroc321 joeroc321 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 43
Mein Auto:
See I've been on some long trips and have no issues unless I've used the CC. I wonder if it wasn't the tranny but the CC module? I'm having mine replaced by the dealer I bought it from so I'll keep you posted.


Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms