Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-24-2013, 03:34 AM

Mein Auto: 535i 2010
What is the best tire for a 2010 535i with Sport Pack.? RFT or NON RFT?

I'm a new member here, and I am not that well depth in the car world.

I own a 2010 535i with Sport package.

I was driving the curvy roads of Big Bear Mountain when my tire blew out. I had RFT tires, so I was able to drive into town to have it replaced with my spare.

Are RFT worth it? I love how it took over when my tire blew out. I would had been stranded on one of the worst part of the road. I like how I was able to drive somewhere safe to have it replaced. I know the biggest problem with RFT is that they wear and tear faster than non rft. Also, $350-450 for a tire that wears and tears faster is kinda ridiculous.

So I am curious what do you guys recommend? Tire Company? RFT OR NON RFT? Where to buy?
Also, not sure if W rated or Y rated tires make a huge difference?

I drive my car mostly in southern california, so not sure if summer or all seasonal tires make a big difference.

My current tires in front are Bridgestone 245/40r18 93w
Back tires are Bridgestone 275/35r18 95y

Thanks for all your help and advice.

Last edited by EvilRocketeer; 03-24-2013 at 03:38 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: e46 M3, Infiniti G35 S
FWIW, I have never had run flats but have had great luck with the following tires:

Hankook Ventus...have them on my M3, Bridgestone 760 and General Exclaim UHPs. I currently have Falkens on my G35 Sport and they have been decent. Please keep in mind I live in FL so I run Summer tires all year round. I average 15-20k per year on my cars.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: 09 535
Im having to make the same decision. I currently have rfts with about 20k on them. They sure are running very loud now. Time for them to be replaced.
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 550i
I really like my BFgoodrich G force T/A, FWIW everyone always talks about how good Michelin Super Sports are..
Old 03-24-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 535
I run Continental Extremecontact DWS. I have AWD, and they are great in the snow and wet. I also live in So Cal and have found these to be good dry tires.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 530i
In answer to your question, RFTs are not very popular because of harsh ride and excessive noise and are usually replaced with non-RFTs at the first opportunity.

FWIW, the original OEM tires on my 2005 530i were Goodyear Eagle RS-A (non-RFT) which I replaced with Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position. Big improvement in handling and steering response with very low tread noise.

Checkout tirerack.com for good tire info and reviews.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
RFTs are twice as heavy as normal tires. They are inferior in every aspect, except the situation you described. I have a spare doughnut wheel in my trunk, so if I ever did blow out a tire I can just swap it out. Hasn't happened in about 30 years of car ownership.

I second the suggestion of looking at Tire Rack. Also agree the Continental ExtremeContact DWS is a great choice. I recently put them on our E61 wagon and I like them a lot.

Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the ultimate performance tire, has superior traction and handling.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
I'm a new member here, and I am not that well depth in the car world.

I own a 2010 535i with Sport package.

I was driving the curvy roads of Big Bear Mountain when my tire blew out. I had RFT tires, so I was able to drive into town to have it replaced with my spare.

Are RFT worth it? I love how it took over when my tire blew out. I would had been stranded on one of the worst part of the road. I like how I was able to drive somewhere safe to have it replaced. I know the biggest problem with RFT is that they wear and tear faster than non rft. Also, $350-450 for a tire that wears and tears faster is kinda ridiculous.

So I am curious what do you guys recommend? Tire Company? RFT OR NON RFT? Where to buy?
Also, not sure if W rated or Y rated tires make a huge difference?

I drive my car mostly in southern california, so not sure if summer or all seasonal tires make a big difference.

My current tires in front are Bridgestone 245/40r18 93w
Back tires are Bridgestone 275/35r18 95y

Thanks for all your help and advice.
I have a simular story,, But i was going to lake Arrowhead.. Front left blew out on a tight right turn.. If u have gone up that road there is no room for error on that road and have no right side shoulder.. as my tire blew in controlling the car, the traction controll kicked in...( I think thats what screwed me up ) and next thing i know im on the side of the mountain with my car on a 45 degree angle plowing the mountain side. Why i didnt roll the car is beyond me.. My point is tire never dismounted the wheel.. Even with all the cars wieght and that extream angle riding on the out side edge of the tires... If it wasnt for a broken ball joint,, that broke while carving the moutain side, the run flat woulda got me home.. I really think that it was the run flat not coming off the wheel is what saved my ass....So if money is not an issue for u, go for the run flats,, Safety and piece of mind to get u out of a bad situation is well worth the 400 bucks each in my opinion. I couldnt afford the damage repairs and the run flats at the time but i will be goen back to them...

Check out Americas tire bro ,, they have great service and will beat any price on tires. I have Ventus V12 evo so far it been a good tire... also keep in mind and get tires that u can rotate side to side,, due to bigger tires in the rear. So when the inside corners start to wear out u can switch 'em over... and get more life out of them...
Old 03-24-2013, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
All of the above!!!

RFTs are heavy, expensive, ride terrible, noisy, wear fast.

I have them on my corvette and they are VERY noisy. I dont know what would be any different since they have always been there, but "normal" tires would ride much better, and be much quieter.

So what is good about run flats (aka run craps)?? Well they allow you to get off the highway if you get a flat. That's it!!

I recently had a flat on my BMW (continental - REAR- regular tire). Luckily it was not at great speed, but I drove about 1 mile to get off the highway and the bead is such that it didnt damage the wheel. I changed the tire with my spare and carried on.

The flat was caused by a relatively large chunk of metal, so the RFT would have also been unfixable.

BTW the tire gods were with me and I replaced/matched the 2 rear ones with two used Michelins which were the same wear as the others (for $50 mounted, balanced, and installed. AND - they put the other good tire/spare in the trunk (in a plastic bag)

Otherwise I would need 2 new ones for ~$450???

My vote is that RFT are for those who are VERY paranoid, or for those not willing to get their hands dirty.

BTW I have had more battery problems than tire problems.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Stealth

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Black Saffire
No RFT

We have the same vehicle and sport option. I left RFT when I got my last set of tires and am very glad. I selected Michelin Pilot Super Sports and they are awesome. I have about 5K miles on them and they show no wear yet. The ride and handling is much better without the runflats.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:41 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Michelin pilot super sport= awesome

Sent from my SGH-i777 using Bimmer App
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i and 2012 X5
RFT not a good tire for me

I also have RFT on my corvette and replaced them with non-rft and drives so much better , now i can really drop the hammer.
And will do the same when it's time to replace on my 2012 X5, i also drive a 99 528I w/sports package every day and run Hankook Ventus tire and for price,you can't beat-it
Old 03-28-2013, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 530
Say what you want about RFT's, but when I blew a tire near Ludlow, CA, in the middle of I-40, I drove 150 miles to Lake Havasu City, AZ. A bit of tire dust but I made it.

I pay about $348 plus taxes, etc., from America's Tire. Just wore an original out, inside only at 49K miles!

Last edited by boatpi; 04-01-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '09 AW 535i
What a rft does in a bad situation is great however they sucks on a dd on regular roads. In the end its what you are willing to compromise on. I personally changed to non-rft's when I upgraded to 20" wheels. Currently I'm running Hankook V12's which I am very happy with, great grip in wet or dry weather and they're quiet. I know rft's give you that ability to keep driving however I figure between the flares in the trunk, my ability to change a tire very quickly, my portable air compressor, my aaa card and the SOS button in the car, I will be okay if I get a flat.

2009 AW 535i
-Sport, Premium Package, and Comfort Access

-FBO, custom Cobb E30 map, Performance Gearing LSD.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 04 530i, 03 X5 4.4i
I ditched the run flats and went with Goodyear Eagle GTs on my 04 530i w/ sport pack, and really love them. They did great through a pretty snowy Michigan winter and they handle very well in the summer as well. There's always a compromise with all seasons, but I find them minimal with this tire.

I've also heard great things about the Continental Extremecontact DWS, but haven't tested them myself.

I also had bridgestone potenza pole positions A/S on a previous car and found those to be great all season tires, but not as capable in the winter.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mucho View Post
I also have RFT on my corvette and replaced them with non-rft and drives so much better , now i can really drop the hammer.
And will do the same when it's time to replace on my 2012 X5, i also drive a 99 528I w/sports package every day and run Hankook Ventus tire and for price,you can't beat-it
I completely agree. Did the same on all my Corvettes - used either Falkens or Kumhos and was happy with both brands of non-rft's. I will do the same with my 550 when the time comes for replacing the current set.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i sport pack
I have an 08 550 with sport pack and run the Continental extreme sport contact 2. Hard to find but they are great tires
Old 03-29-2013, 03:24 AM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Well those tire sizes are going to be expensive. 245 and 275 is alot ofrubber. So rft or no rft you are going to be spending more than 200.00 per tire. As for if rft are worth it you answered your own question. If your car is not equipped with a full size spare which most new cars are not, then run flats are a great investment for piece of mind. Tires are like any other maintenance item, they need to be inspected frequently. But like with anything else their is always a possibility of them failing. I.e run over a nail or something or hit a sharp rock.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 AM
Mile muncher

Mein Auto: 08 E61 535xi 6AT
I just replaced a set of 4 Michelin Pilot Sport All-seasons on my 08 535xiT and was very impressed with their all round ability. They were quiet and responsive in the dry and provided a reasonable level of wet/cold weather traction for my occasional drives to the snow. I got 45k out of a set and the front tyres still had about 30% tread left at time of replacement. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a decent set of all rounders but I did find their handling on the limit was compromised and the harder compound meant handling could be a little lively when really pushing it and they had a tendency to understeer.

I wanted to contrast my experience with running summer tyres since installing some Michelin Pilot Super Sports on a set of Style 135s with my old 243s becoming winter tyres with a set of Nokian Hakkepeliittas that I picked up for next to nothing in a recent winter tyre clearance. I'm expecting to get a lot less life from them but the car already handles and rides significantly better.

If you can find them I'd also recommend the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3s, I ran those almost exclusively on all my cars when I lived back in the UK but they seem quite hard to find here. Their all-season Eagle F1 is also pretty good but has a tendency to get really noisy as the tread gets low.

When I bought my wagon it had the OEM runflats on it, they had lasted well at 45k but I hated the way they impacted the ride and handling. As my car had been fitted with a spare wheel well and a space saver spare I ditched the RFTs at the first opportunity and have never looked back. You suggested you had a spare wheel so I'd just ditch the RFTs as it will transform the car.

Last edited by tony2x; 03-29-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:16 PM
depo535i

Mein Auto: 535i
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my 535i...
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 535i, Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by depo330i View Post
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S on my 535i...
Me too, they rock. Now I am not scared to death of a little snow, and every manhole cover doesn't shake the car to pieces. Noted a bit less directional stability than the OEM Dunlop Sports though. The Michelins stick to the road better and don't bounce like the Dunlops.
2006 Honda Accord EX-L
Retired fleet:
2013 Auid A5 Cabrio 2.0T (troubles, troubles)
2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited V8 (My snow tires)
2007 530xi
2004 Jaguar XJ8
2006 Saab 93 2.0T unfixable glitches, bye bye
1999 BMW 528i Touring
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I've got Continental ContiExtremeContact DWS tires on my 08 550, which originally came with ContiSport Contact 2 (non-runflat) tires. I live in Florida, where snow is of no concern, but I went with the all-season tires do to the torrential rain we get and because they have a high tread wear rating. They are fantastic -- smooth, quiet, and great traction in wet and dry. My only concern would be on cars originally equipped with RFT may not have a spare tire. Mine does, even though it's not full size, it's at least not a "space saver" tire. If you don't have a spare, get one for piece of mind if you decide to go non-RFT.

2008 BMW 550i M-sport, 6sp SAT, Jet Black/Black Dakota leather, prem, nav

Mods: matte black grilles, 18% tint, GP Thunder 8000k AE, Nanoshield paint protection film, 15mm TMS spacers
Old 03-29-2013, 08:47 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by godzulu View Post
Michelin pilot super sport= awesome

Sent from my SGH-i777 using Bimmer App
+1,000! Incredible tires, quiet, comfy and grip like hell! Get them; you won't be disappointed.
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust

Last edited by Vapiano; 03-29-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 06:29 AM
what does this button do?

Mein Auto: 08 535xit
All you guys dropping big money on tires, I really don't see the need from my experiences. I went with a set of Falken Ze612's from DTD -- You could buy two sets of these tires for the price of a Michelin. I would avoid RFTs-- just make sure you have a usable spare.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 PM

Mein Auto: Dinan E60 M5 & 545i
I have used just about every performance street tire out there and Michelins are at the top of the list when it comes to performance, ride quality, low road noise and looks. When I purchased my wheel package; I was offered a less expensive brand of tire that would have saved me $500. No thanks. Sometimes it boils down to what you like based on experience, I use Michelins on all my vehicles because they give me exactly what I want in a performance tire.
2004 545iA, Titansilber Metallic/Black Dakota, Sport, Premium & Cold Weather Packages, Navigation, Premium Sound, Logic 7, HL Washers, Active Steering/Suspension, PDC, Adaptive Bi-Xenon,Voice Command, Beltronics STiR +, 58% Full Tint, Smoked Side Markers, 19" Hyper Silver Avant Garde M359/Michelin PSS, M5 Trunk Finisher & iDrive Controller, Dinan Performance Mods: High Flow Intake & Throttle Body, S3 Engine Software, S1 Suspension, CF Front Strut Brace and High Flow Exhaust