Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-24-2013, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 97 740i
Question electrical gremlin help

hi everyone im new here and just bought a 97 740i. so far the things i knew it needed i have replaced. the battery wouldnt take a charge and hold it so i replaced that. i was getting a cam sensor code and have already got that taken care of. now the only issues i am having trouble with is the power seats/telescopeing steering wheel. and the back lights for the dash/radio/climate control. i have checked all the fuses for the seats other then the one that is under the passenger seat because with out being able to get it to move so i can get access to the fuse panel. does anyone know how to get the seat to move without any power going to it?
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2013, 07:12 AM

i have also checked the control box on the driver seat to make sure it didnt come unplugged.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 740i
You can always hard wire power to the plug.

Sent from my DROID4 using Bimmer App
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 e38. schwartzx2
Power seat and telescoping wheel. I seem to remember that is a thing that tends to break, and there is a fix, but I forget where and when I saw it. Do some searching. Mine is broken too, and when you find the link let us all know.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:53 PM

ok an updated i do have an electrical drain on my car and am slowly trying to figure it out. i got the passenger seat out and was able to get under the carpet and found the padding under the carpet was wet but not completely soaked. i looked at the fuse box under there to and there wasn't much corrosion in there at all but i went ahead and cleaned all the connections while i was in there, and drove around with the seat out and the carpet propped up so all the moisture in the padding could evaporate. then while i was driving one night while it was raining my backing lights for the dash and radio/climate control all started working. i pulled out the LCM since i already had the carpet pulled up some and took the plastic cover off the top section where the cooling fins are but wasn't able to get the bottom plastic off so i sprayed it out really good with electric cleaner and let it dry really good put it all back together and the first night on my way home they worked flawlessly then last night on my way home they worked most of the time but would flicker on and off a couple times and both days it didn't rain at all. and the turn signals and high beam light on my instrument cluster don't work either but they work outside the car. plus i have just started to notice that if i shut off the climate control before i shut the car off when i get back in at lunch the climate control is on, now im not sure if it is supposed to come on right away even if shut off before the the car was shut off last? and when it has been raining i cant find anywhere that rain would be getting in.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 e38. schwartzx2
Did you check the sunroof drain? I hear that a lot.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
There are also fuses in the trunk above the battery. Most common on the seat is the plug/module not seated good, or needing cleaning mating to switch. Or the seat switch can be bad. With the moisture problem you mentioned, could be some corrosion in this area.