Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-24-2013, 09:41 AM
gheemer

Mein Auto: 740iL, Z4, 330i
Exclamation 98 e38 - very slow upshift when cold

Short of taking to a shop, would anyone have an idea of next step to diagnose a hesitant upshift? Wondering to what extent I should just get used to this condition. Tranny is so hesitant to upshift when cold or first started, and usually takes a little heavy acceleration to force it to upshift. Seems to shift well thereafter or if already warm. Have already performed trans fluid/filter kit change. Car runs too pristine to let this annoyance continue. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-08 15.24.13.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	367896  
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2013, 12:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
If this is temperature related (only occurs when temps are cold)...then I'm not sure you have a problem. You may think that the high RPM on a cold engine and delayed shifting is a problem...but if it goes away if you force the car to go over 25 MPH or it goes a way on its own after a few minutes, or it never occurs when its warm...it could simply be the ENGINE WARM UP CYCLE:

This programing is one of the reasons BMW recommends that you DO NOT warm up the engine. This may get the motor oil up to temp, but does nothing about the transmission or rear differential...which both contains fluids that are still cold. The ENGINE WARM UP CYCLE takes the aforementioned systems into account, the raised RPM warms the engine faster, as well as the tranny and differential oils...all coming up to normal operating temps together instead of separately.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 03-26-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:46 PM
gheemer

Thanks Q. All makes sense. Now that I better understand the system, there are two separate issues I'm noticing. Cold performance I can deal with, although I don't sense it is terminating above 25 mph. I went out this morning and "tricked" the system into Sport mode using the 30 sec throttle depress prior to start and was pleasantly surprised with the different shift feel and performance. I think what I'm sensing, and don't like, is the ecomony mode that this tranny constantly reverts to. After the 30 sec trick, it upshifts, downshifts and drives more like my 03 330; much more responsive feeling and less "lag" when feathering the throttle between decel-accel. I'm noticing the RPMs drop in two distinct steps during decel, first drop providing that correct decel feeling, the second down to almost idle, and what I'm feeling and I don't like. I'm just surprised my tranny has never "sensed" my driving and gone into Sport mode that I could tell.
Thanks for the response. Your former 7 looks great with the M wheels - my next upgrade! Any idea how to make the Sport mode the default?

Last edited by gheemer; 03-26-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheemer View Post
... Any idea how to make the Sport mode the default?
Well, kinda....

Since our e38s have ATC (adaptive transmission control) plus the the selectable sport mode...the "trick" really isn't necessary...you have 2 options.

The "trick" is just fooling ATC into thinking you're driving aggressively, thus it selects the adaptive sport mode. But you can do this automatically by driving aggressively. The transmission adaptive mode is selected by the way the accelerator pedal is being used. Quick presses of the accelerator toward the floor suggests aggressive driving (which is what the "trick" is duplicating)...softer/gentler presses of the accelerator pedal causes the system to select either the extreme economy mode (aka "granny-toe") or normal presses will result in the economy mode.

The other thing you can do is select the Sport mode by moving the gear select lever to 4...you will see S 4 appear in the gear selection display on the instrument cluster. In this mode, 5th gear usually isn't achieved in normal driving situations, but it does achieve a more aggressive shift pattern. When you feel that RPM is too high and you find yourself traveling at a sustained speed...you can simply move the gear select lever back to "D".

(move gear shift lever to "4" to select the manual SPORT program)

Again, to get ATC to select adaptive sport mode over XE (extreme economy aka "granny-toe mode") or E (economy) mode...you have to drive aggressively and MASH that gas pedal. If you are performing the "trick"...sport mode may be selected briefly, but if you aren't an aggressive driver (by nature) and you drive normally or timidly...then ATC will eventually adapt to the way that the driver is using the accelerator pedal. Thus a waste of 30 seconds trying to get the car to perform differently than the way the car is being driven. One would be better off selecting the manual SPORT mode...at leat the transmission won't change to xe or e mode until the driver does so by moving the gear select lever back to "D".

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 03-26-2013 at 09:19 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:28 PM
gheemer

Aggressive driving....

Thanks Q. Some trial and error today and I learned a few more subtle indications of what's going on. First, I bought this car from an older couple that probably did "granny toe" it routinely. I'll push the aggressive ticket again tomorrow by heavier acceleration. Although I don't hammer it like I do in my Z, don't think I could be accused of granny toe...
Two things I paid attention to and noticed today; slow upshift occurs well up into 3rd to 4th at ~ 43-45 mph. So that kills that 25 mph logic working correctly without there being another issue causing it. But, did also notice tranny sounds a little whiny/whirring in lowing gears. So I'm thinking I might need to further top off the fluid level. Might have cut it a little short at that filter change...
Other annoyance I'm now seeing more clearly is the rpm drop in what I think is extreme economy mode. At throttle release, rpms initially drop just a couple hundred rpm, then a second or so later, rpms drop down to idle. Creates two sensations of decel, then requires excessive spool up and a "lash" feeling during accel again. Yuck.
Will try heavy accel/kickdown tomorrow to confirm performance, then confirm fluid level/top off as required. Have seen and read recommended temp check and top off procedure. Hope that brings it back in line with how it seems it supposed to perform.

Thanks. Fly Navy!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gheemers beemer.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	368591  

Last edited by gheemer; 03-27-2013 at 07:00 PM.