Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-24-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 328XI Coupe
Need help making this decision between i and xi

I just recently got my 2008 328xi coupe a few weeks ago, my step dad is a general manager at a huge pre-owned dealership. He's offering me a great deal on a 2008 335i coupe fully loaded. I can trade in my car and get it. But is the all wheel drive a huge deal in BMWs? That's the only thing holding me back! I really want the upgraded engine, rims, all black color.

I need suggestions, answers and ideas please. Thank you so much!
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Since you own an xi, only you can answer if all wheel drive is a huge deal to you. I enjoy having it but no doubt in winter months you can have dedicated tires & do fine.

g/l
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 03-24-2013, 09:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xDrive Coupe
I don't see RWD being a huge issue in snow/inclement weather as long as you use some common sense while driving. Also important will be the tires you put on the car. Modern electronics will help a lot with driving RWD in bad weather, but the tires on the car will make a huge difference as well. If you drive in an area where the roads are relatively well-kept in bad weather, then you should be okay with all seasons. Snow/winter tires will make a huge difference though too. The weight balance of the BMW will help as well when driving with RWD. Just remember, people got by okay in the winter with RWD on crappier tires in older cars that had no electronics to help with traction or braking. They probably got stuck more, but they got by.

Another thing to consider will be the increased maintenance cost and long-term reliability concerns that others have expressed with the turbocharged BMW motors. I'm relatively new to the BMW world, so this is based on what I've read around here and car blogs. Try and compare the maintenance items and frequency between the two cars.

That said, in short, I think with some common sense driving and good tires, RWD vs AWD may end up being the least of your concerns. Long term costs may be more of a concern.

Either way, I think you'll end up with an excellent and fun car!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:09 AM
jertronic

Mein Auto: 2008 328 xi sedan
Go for the trade in. There is a trade off with the x-drive. Is it nice to have in winter driving conditions? Yes. Is x-drive necessary if a driver is capable of using winter driving techniques? No.

OP- Is the 335 the same model year, 2008?
Old 03-24-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertronic View Post
Go for the trade in. There is a trade off with the x-drive. Is it nice to have in winter driving conditions? Yes. Is x-drive necessary if a driver is capable of using winter driving techniques? No.

OP- Is the 335 the same model year, 2008?
Yes same model year.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsairius View Post
I don't see RWD being a huge issue in snow/inclement weather as long as you use some common sense while driving. Also important will be the tires you put on the car. Modern electronics will help a lot with driving RWD in bad weather, but the tires on the car will make a huge difference as well. If you drive in an area where the roads are relatively well-kept in bad weather, then you should be okay with all seasons. Snow/winter tires will make a huge difference though too. The weight balance of the BMW will help as well when driving with RWD. Just remember, people got by okay in the winter with RWD on crappier tires in older cars that had no electronics to help with traction or braking. They probably got stuck more, but they got by.

Another thing to consider will be the increased maintenance cost and long-term reliability concerns that others have expressed with the turbocharged BMW motors. I'm relatively new to the BMW world, so this is based on what I've read around here and car blogs. Try and compare the maintenance items and frequency between the two cars.

That said, in short, I think with some common sense driving and good tires, RWD vs AWD may end up being the least of your concerns. Long term costs may be more of a concern.

Either way, I think you'll end up with an excellent and fun car!
That is true, one of my co workers drove to work the other day on a 2006 scion with a huge snow and he complained just a bit but got there just fine. I'm new to the bmw world too so welcome to us!
Old 03-26-2013, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330xi E90
If you can get a good deal on a 08 335i coupe I would definately get it. Come on twin turbo engine enough said. As far as 335i being rwd just get some winter tires you will be fine.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeasgeorgie View Post
I just recently got my 2008 328xi coupe a few weeks ago, my step dad is a general manager at a huge pre-owned dealership. He's offering me a great deal on a 2008 335i coupe fully loaded. I can trade in my car and get it. But is the all wheel drive a huge deal in BMWs? That's the only thing holding me back! I really want the upgraded engine, rims, all black color.

I need suggestions, answers and ideas please. Thank you so much!
I wouldn't make this decision based on RWD versus AWD but rather 328 versus 335. Drivetrain configuration would be a minor consideration in this situation.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Let's not forget the fact that the non-xi models are lower to the ground by a bit, so if the xi vs i is a big deal to you, keep that in mind. Coupled with the fact that the 335 engine is much more different, and the inclusion of turbos, you've got with a decision to make. Unless you have considerable resources for maintenance (and eventual walnut shell blasting in the near future), I'd really just stick with the 328xi. It's definitely the less problematic car, in the long run anyway.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
Let's not forget the fact that the non-xi models are lower to the ground by a bit, so if the xi vs i is a big deal to you, keep that in mind.
I was under the impression this was only the case with the sport suspension. Am I incorrect in that understanding?
Old 03-26-2013, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
After three Subaru Outbacks and a 325xi I bought a rwd 328i. I feared the worst after having been spoiled with awd. As it turns out I only had a problem once getting up my driveway in deep wet snow. Otherwise, it's been fine and haven't missed awd at all. Just drive smart, and use snow tires in winter. Btw I'm from ny as well. The feel and driving characteristics and lack of maintaining the extra drivetrain, the rwd car is worth the occasional slight inconvenience of getting moving in deeper snow. The dsc system works beautifully and helps a lot.

Last edited by luskombi; 03-26-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luskombi View Post
After three Subaru Outbacks and a 325xi I bought a rwd 328i. I feared the worst after having been spoiled with awd. As it turns out I only had a problem once getting up my driveway in deep wet snow. Otherwise, it's been fine and haven't missed awd at all. Just drive smart, and use snow tires in winter. Btw I'm from ny as well. The feel and driving characteristics and lack of maintaining the extra drivetrain, the rwd car is worth the occasional slight inconvenience of getting moving in deeper snow. The dsc system works beautifully and helps a lot.
What maintenance are you referring to?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
I was under the impression this was only the case with the sport suspension. Am I incorrect in that understanding?
As I recall, the i (non sport) vs i (sport) difference is about an inch? Two inches or so of difference in an xi though. I'm sure someone knows the EXACT measurements.

There is NO sport suspension on xi models for the record. XI also has different struts in front. Getting off-topic now, hah.

Last edited by BiHoTTo115; 03-26-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
I wouldn't make this decision based on RWD versus AWD but rather 328 versus 335. Drivetrain configuration would be a minor consideration in this situation.
Drivetrains are a HUGE consideration for many of us. I would pay thousands to avoid AWD. The weight, mpg, and mechanical complexity are all very big deals to many of us. The main reason I am in a BMW is that I wanted a wagon and AWD was a dealbreaker.

I am not saying the tradeoff is not reasonable if you need xdrive, but claiming there is not diff at all is just not realistic.

OP, as somebody who has the NA engine and is philosophically opposed to FI (I would never consider turbo or awd, in fact), I think the reliability diff between these vehicles is vastly overstated. Other than the hpfp, the turbo engine has held up about as well as the N52.

If I were you, I would take the deal.

On the other hand, if I was climbing long snowy hills, l would choose AWD without thinking twice and live with the lower power.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
What maintenance are you referring to?
This is not a complaint as I loved my xi but I replaced the driver's side cv shaft once and the passenger side twice due to torn boots between 67k and 130k miles. My outbacks all went to over 100k miles without a shaft or boot change. The 1998 o/b got a front shaft at 110k.
I've also read of some transfer case/awd system failures on e90's which is why I decided to try rwd up here in snowsville.
Awd bimmers are awesome, my point being that I feel somewhat liberated by not carrying the extra weight around and maybe even use a little less gas.

Last edited by luskombi; 03-26-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
Drivetrains are a HUGE consideration for many of us. I would pay thousands to avoid AWD. The weight, mpg, and mechanical complexity are all very big deals to many of us. The main reason I am in a BMW is that I wanted a wagon and AWD was a dealbreaker.

I am not saying the tradeoff is not reasonable if you need xdrive, but claiming there is not diff at all is just not realistic.
I never made such a claim. I said drivetrain configuration would be a small consideration in this situation. OP has the option to trade in his AWD 328 for a RWD 335. I don't believe he's asking if he should get an AWD versus RWD 335. Given this it's my opinion he really needs to decide if he wants to move into a 335. Not if he should be moving to a RWD car that just happens to be a 335.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
As I recall, the i (non sport) vs i (sport) difference is about an inch? Two inches or so of difference in an xi though. I'm sure someone knows the EXACT measurements.

There is NO sport suspension on xi models for the record. XI also has different struts in front. Getting off-topic now, hah.
My understanding is the non-sport suspension equipped RWD and AWD cars have the same ride height. The sport suspension equipped vehicle is the only one with a different, i.e. lower, ride height. Corrections welcome.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
My understanding is the non-sport suspension equipped RWD and AWD cars have the same ride height. The sport suspension equipped vehicle is the only one with a different, i.e. lower, ride height. Corrections welcome.
I want to say that the regular non-zsp rwd car has a lower height than the awd model, with the zsp rwd having the lowest ride height. But like I said, that's what I thought I've seen in the past. At least that's how the E46 was anyway.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:45 AM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
I want to say that the regular non-zsp rwd car has a lower height than the awd model, with the zsp rwd having the lowest ride height. But like I said, that's what I thought I've seen in the past. At least that's how the E46 was anyway.
OT: Is the BiH in your handle Bosnia and Herzegovina? I only ask because I was on assignment there during the war.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
OT: Is the BiH in your handle Bosnia and Herzegovina? I only ask because I was on assignment there during the war.
Hey, yeah it is! Was born there, then lived in Germany for quite a bit. Moved here (U.S.) 10 years ago, been here ever since.

Lot of **** in the 90's with Bosnia eh, heh.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Quote:
Hey, yeah it is! Was born there, then lived in Germany for quite a bit. Moved here (U.S.) 10 years ago, been here ever since.

Lot of **** in the 90's with Bosnia eh, heh.
Yup. I was in Mostar for most of the last years of the war, got to see a lot of Bosnia, Hrvatska, and Crna Gora. Whatever else went down there, it was a beautiful place.

That was in the days before English became the real international language. Lots of German spoke there, and DMs were like the American dollar.

And, everybody was nuts about VWs, BMWs, and Audis. Certainly lot of stolen BMWs made their way out of Europe through Mostar!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Yup. I was in Mostar for most of the last years of the war, got to see a lot of Bosnia, Hrvatska, and Crna Gora. Whatever else went down there, it was a beautiful place.

That was in the days before English became the real international language. Lots of German spoke there, and DMs were like the American dollar.

And, everybody was nuts about VWs, BMWs, and Audis. Certainly lot of stolen BMWs made their way out of Europe through Mostar!
Haha, you've hit the nail right on the head! Lots of German still goes on there. It's still very beautiful, went back a bit ago to visit some family and it's still gorgeous.

I'd go as far to say that a lot of people are just absolutely maniacal about VW (not really sure why). A lot of people swear by them, and most of my Bosnian friends here all drive Passat's, Jetta's, and Golfs (usually diesel variants of all 3).