Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 03-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 325ci
Difference between sport and msport steering wheel

All,

I'm doing some research on upgrading my standard steering wheel. I would like something similar to what the newer f01's have with the msport package (obviously without the paddles). It needs to be heated as well. Now I've seen all sorts of contradicting info on the difference between the too, but really all I want is a thicker wheel that higher quality and softer leather (feels almost like lamb skin leather). Which parts should I be searching for, sport or Msport steering wheel?
Ads by Google
Old 03-24-2013, 11:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gustovier View Post
All,

I'm doing some research on upgrading my standard steering wheel. I would like something similar to what the newer f01's have with the msport package (obviously without the paddles). It needs to be heated as well. Now I've seen all sorts of contradicting info on the difference between the too, but really all I want is a thicker wheel that higher quality and softer leather (feels almost like lamb skin leather). Which parts should I be searching for, sport or Msport steering wheel?
Incorrect post.....Deleted.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 03-24-2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 01:18 PM
RocknDoc

Mein Auto: 2012 F02 750Lix
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeek View Post
Funny you should ask this. I am researching the same thing at this moment but to get paddles. Sadly M-Sport does not have heating as an option. That is my only reservation currently.
That's odd... my M Sport has heasted steering wheel. There's a small buttton on the left side of the steering column to turn it on. No button on the wheel itself. Sadly, it didn't come with paddles in '12.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haastx10 View Post
That's odd... my M Sport has heasted steering wheel. There's a small buttton on the left side of the steering column to turn it on. No button on the wheel itself. Sadly, it didn't come with paddles in '12.
Hmm...possibly my contact is mistaken. Will have to look into this more. Thanks for the info.

Yup, you can configure an F10 online with M-sport, heating and vibration with paddles. Gonna see if I can order that and retrofit.

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 03-24-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
All,

Do you need the vibration function with the drivers assistance option?

Old 03-24-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Do you need the vibration function with the drivers assistance option?
Nope I sure do not.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:05 PM

Also the reason why I didn't want paddles is that my car doesn't have them now and I thought it couldn't be retro fitted on. But then I did see one post with people mentioning it is possible to retrofit in the paddle functionality.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 740 Li
Quote:
The 2012's had an issue where BMW was mistakenly "deleting" the paddle shifters off the M-sport steering wheel. You may want to see if that happened on your build too? My understanding is BMW is fixing the mistake (not sure how though), V/r, Tim

2013 740 Li
2007 G35 (trade-in)
2003 Z06 (Black, 50th Anniversary)
2001 Z06 (Torch Red)
Old 03-25-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popoemt View Post
The 2012's had an issue where BMW was mistakenly "deleting" the paddle shifters off the M-sport steering wheel. You may want to see if that happened on your build too? My understanding is BMW is fixing the mistake (not sure how though), V/r, Tim
I definitely wouldn't have had the paddles in the first place. I'm in a 2010 and I have the standard steering wheel.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
All,

This should be the part # for an M sports wheel with heater: 32337842808

It is possible to retrofit paddles on an F10 5-series and was just done a few days ago. I'm gonna try and do this on my 7 this week or next. Will keep you all updated how it goes. Here is a link how someone just did it to their F10.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819162

Old 03-25-2013, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: '10 740Li
If you have the basic sw you also need the airbag. Other than that sws come with 3 options afaik. Vibration, heating and paddles. You can also check out the sw with the wood inlay my favorite.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaranE View Post
If you have the basic sw you also need the airbag. Other than that sws come with 3 options afaik. Vibration, heating and paddles. You can also check out the sw with the wood inlay my favorite.
Yes that is correct. If you are going from sport wheel to M Sport then the airbags should be compatible I am told, but not from regular wheel to M Sport. Your 3 options above are also right on. You can also swap out the trim if you wish.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:55 PM
RocknDoc

Mein Auto: 2012 F02 750Lix
Quote:
This should be the part # for an M sports wheel with heater: 32337842808

It is possible to retrofit paddles on an F10 5-series and was just done a few days ago. I'm gonna try and do this on my 7 this week or next. Will keep you all updated how it goes. Here is a link how someone just did it to their F10.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=819162
Let us know how this goes and what part numbers are needed for the paddle shifters!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Let us know how this goes and what part numbers are needed for the paddle shifters!
Will do, install is scheduled for this Friday. Sadly a whole new wheel is needed since the back has to be made to fit paddles specifically. Also having surround view camera retrofit done at the same time.

I will be the first F01/F02 he has done paddles on, so crossing my fingers we can get it to work.

He sold me the whole wheel with buttons, M trim and paddles all together as a package, so there is no specific part # sadly. :-(

Last edited by rajeek; 03-25-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Will do, install is scheduled for this Friday. Sadly a whole new wheel is needed since the back has to be made to fit paddles specifically. Also having surround view camera retrofit done at the same time.

I will be the first F01/F02 he has done paddles on, so crossing my fingers we can get it to work.

He sold me the whole wheel with buttons, M trim and paddles all together as a package, so there is no specific part # sadly. :-(
It would actually be 4 different parts, steering wheel, buttons, trim, and air bag. I wonder why u couldn't just reuse use your existing buttons. Since you have driver assist don't you have that lane departure feature that needs the wheel to vibrate as well? Can't tell or not if your car supports heated wheel.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
It would actually be 4 different parts, steering wheel, buttons, trim, and air bag. I wonder why u couldn't just reuse use your existing buttons. Since you have driver assist don't you have that lane departure feature that needs the wheel to vibrate as well? Can't tell or not if your car supports heated wheel.
Buttons are also different between sport/m and non sport wheels.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I'm guessing he may have had this as overstock or something since it comes with everything except the airbag. I'm just gonna use my airbag. You are correct, there are many different parts. It is actually

1 - Steering Wheel (heated or non-heated)
2 - Paddles
1 - Vibration mechanism
2 - Multifunction buttons
1 - Trim
1 - Airbag

Parting it all out comes to around $2500. Expensive for just the parts.

Last edited by rajeek; 03-26-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: 09 750i M Sport
Hey Everyone, this is a great thread with lots of helpful information. I actually have an 09 750i with the sport wheel. BMW has replaced some internal buttons and parts under factory warranty due to peeling. Is anyone aware if they'll replace the steering wheel under factory warranty? There is no functional issue with it, but the wheel is black and the color is fading along with some of the thread coming loose. There is also a little bit of peeling on the leather. I think the last owner of the car left it out in the sun. Does anyone know if the dealer would replace it just as if it was another peeling part on the interior?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visionthedj View Post
Hey Everyone, this is a great thread with lots of helpful information. I actually have an 09 750i with the sport wheel. BMW has replaced some internal buttons and parts under factory warranty due to peeling. Is anyone aware if they'll replace the steering wheel under factory warranty? There is no functional issue with it, but the wheel is black and the color is fading along with some of the thread coming loose. There is also a little bit of peeling on the leather. I think the last owner of the car left it out in the sun. Does anyone know if the dealer would replace it just as if it was another peeling part on the interior?
If it was just fading, I would say no. But if thread is coming loose, then I think it needs to be replaced under warranty.

Last edited by rajeek; 03-26-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
If it was just fading, I would say no. But if thread is coming loose, then I think it needs to be replaced under warranty.
+1.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM

Anybody know where the steering wheel part # would be located on the actual steering wheel? I'm trying to talk to this person about a used one, and he has no idea what the part # of the steering wheel is and I don't want to purchase the wrong one
Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM

try realoem.com
or
bmw 7 accessories catalogue
Old 03-26-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaranE View Post
try realoem.com
or
bmw 7 accessories catalogue
Those don't tell you how to tell what the part # of a steering wheel that you might already have. Like is there a part # etched on the steering wheel somewhere?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Those don't tell you how to tell what the part # of a steering wheel that you might already have. Like is there a part # etched on the steering wheel somewhere?
It will probably be a sticker if it is still there at all. I havn't seen part #'s etched before.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:55 AM

Quote:
It will probably be a sticker if it is still there at all. I havn't seen part #'s etched before.
He's sent me these 2 #s which I can't make sense of...

ASW6102240
FG-NR SLC84742501