Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 525xi
Reliability of a 2006 330i

Looking at getting my first car, and i have always liked German cars, but always been scared of the reliability and maintenance. I know VW and Audi are pretty bad but I havent really herd much about the ultimate driving machine. My mom has an Acura MDX and my step dad has a Infiniti M35, they are both very loyal to Japanese cars. I would like to venture out but don't want to pay the price for it. Right now Im looking at a 2006 BMW 330i with 140K and they are asking $7,500. Which to me sounds like a bargain but is it going to murder me in costs. I have money to buy the car but not a whole lot to put in to it. So Basicity how does the average 330i compare to the japanese. Any though would be very appreciated.

Also, hows BMWs traction with the RWD?
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
BMW repairs can be pricey simply because it's a near luxury car. BMW's are less forgiving when it comes to deferred maintenance. BMW maintenance isn't prohibitively expensive.

330 is a fine car however the water pump is electric so the car you're looking at should be on its second pump. Also some of the bolts to the valve cover and/or head were known to snap.

RWD in snow is fine with dedicated snow tires.

Sent from my MB525 using Bimmer App

Current: 435i
Previous : e90 335d, e90 330i, e46 330 zhp.

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 03-24-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
You are better off buying a X1 with the least option, brand new is no more expensive than Japanese and you get the 4 yr/50k warranty.
It seems you are not a mechanic and at that price something probably needs to be fixed/replaced. You'd need all service history and bring the car to a BMW mechanic to have it looked over.
You need winter tire on snows for RWD.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:48 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Realistically this car with 140k is pretty well used up.

Unless you know the detailed ownership and maintenance history that everything has been actively and proactively replaced ...... its still on its last miles.

Expect to pay $2,000 or more a year (maybe get lucky and spend less) or make it a DIY project to keep costs under control.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM

What about a 2007 BMW 328i w/ 80K miles asking $12K? Also what makes you think I have the money to buy a brand new X1?!
Old 03-24-2013, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancolorado View Post
What about a 2007 BMW 328i w/ 80K miles asking $12K? Also what makes you think I have the money to buy a brand new X1?!
That's a step up in price from the 330i. I am in agreement with laser that the 330 has quite a bit of miles on it. However if it's been taken care of it could be a reasonable buy. And with the money you're saving, compared to the 328i, you could perform some repairs / maintenance to the 330i. But there's no denying the considerably fewer miles of the 328.

In the end buying a used BMW out of warranty has risks and if you cannot afford the cost of repairs it is probably wise to look elsewhere. While both of these vehicles are reliable they're not Japanese vehicle reliable.

I'm in Denver and can point you to a great indy if you need someone to check over the vehicles before you purchase.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:04 PM

So do you think a 330i with 140K miles is just to high? how much life does it have in it, is a three series going to better than an Audi but not as good an Infiniti? Excuse me if for my lack of knowledge but I'm having a hard time placing the three series in perspective, so does it require just as much as a Japanese car and it just costs more for parts/labor? Or does it just break down a lot more, and speaking of that will it leave me on the side of the road? And how much am i looking at paying for these little "issues?"
Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
I recently made the switch from a 2006 330i to a 2007 335i, and my 330 held up beautifully. The only work I had done over 3 years of ownership was regular maintenance, some brake work, and my door lock actuators malfunctioned and needed replacing.

Edit: I sold my 330 with 123k and it ran like new. I don't think 140k is too high, but I'd want to put those miles on myself. I wouldn't want to put miles on top of someone else's, especially if they're already that high.

Last edited by ///Macht; 03-25-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
BMW repairs can be pricey simply because it's a near luxury car. BMW's are less forgiving when it comes to deferred maintenance. BMW maintenance isn't prohibitively expensive.

330 is a fine car however the water pump is electric so the car you're looking at should be on its second pump. Also some of the bolts to the valve cover and/or head were known to snap.

RWD in snow is fine with dedicated snow tires.

Excuse me...did you just say that "BMW maintenance isn't prohibitively expensive" on a car with THAT MANY MILES ON IT! Good grief man, I should suggest that it may be very expensive! Do you own a BMW dealership?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
i wouldn't get a BMW if i were u, they are a bit demanding and costly in maintenance, with a budget for an E9X any less then $13-15k, u'r looking at some serious maintenance to deal with.
with ur budget, i would stick with a Jap, it's cost efficient and u'll forget what a mechanic look like

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 03-26-2013, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 435i, 335d sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
Excuse me...did you just say that "BMW maintenance isn't prohibitively expensive" on a car with THAT MANY MILES ON IT! Good grief man, I should suggest that it may be very expensive! Do you own a BMW dealership?
Repairs are different story. Oil change doesn't get more expensive.

Current: 435i
Previous : e90 335d, e90 330i, e46 330 zhp.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by iancolorado View Post
So do you think a 330i with 140K miles is just to high? how much life does it have in it, is a three series going to better than an Audi but not as good an Infiniti? Excuse me if for my lack of knowledge but I'm having a hard time placing the three series in perspective, so does it require just as much as a Japanese car and it just costs more for parts/labor? Or does it just break down a lot more, and speaking of that will it leave me on the side of the road? And how much am i looking at paying for these little "issues?"
The answer is, as is usually the case, it depends. You need to ask yourself this: Does it make sense to buy a car with 140K miles on it for $7,500 and then spend additional money to perform any needed maintenance / repairs? Or does it make sense to spend $4,500 more for a car with 60K less miles? If the 330 requires $3,000 in maintenance / repair an additional $1,500 for the 328 would probably make more sense (though this ignores the differences between the cars...options, extra HP of the 330, etc). All the maintenance / repairs in the world will not remove miles.

Of course it's likely you won't know how much maintenance / repair either car will require. Both are known to be fairly reliable with the exception of some head bolt issues on the 330 (which probably are a non-issue given it has 140K miles on it).

Personally I bought a 2001 X5 which had 108K miles on it. It was a fairly base model and I had to spend some money maintaining it (a PPI revealed a number of issues). The dealer covered some of the repairs whereas I paid for others. By the time all the work was done I could have used the extra money to buy one with lower miles and / or more options (I decided to buy this one due to alternate criteria. Criteria that was surprisingly difficult to find so I had few options). It wasn't a lot of work but it did amount to a few thousand dollars. Once done it was a solid vehicle and I would trust it to go many years.

One thing to note is BMW's can be expensive, relatively speaking, to repair compared to other vehicles. The same with maintenance. It all depends on the work needed and, if you're a DIY'er, then the cost could be less.

It's also been my experience BMW's are not as reliable as several of the Japanese manufacturers. BMW's aren't unreliable but they're not at the level of the Japanese competition. If you're stretching to afford the BMW it's probably not the vehicle for you.

Last edited by sunny5280; 03-26-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
If OP has the $7,500 or so to buy the car outright, then that should be better put towards something better, like a car with a warranty. That or continuing to look around for something with less mileage and pooling money for maintenance costs. My car's got 145K miles at the moment, and I've put most of them on myself. If you have a solid set of tools, and are willing to learn and do most of the work yourself, you can save quite a pretty penny. Next best option is to find a reputable independent that ONLY works on BMW's and wont' charge an arm and a leg for services.

I have to agree with the majority, and say that if maintenance costs scare you, I'd seriously consider why you want the BMW in the first place. It's been said time and time again, that German cars LOVE maintenance. You should expect to work on them more, but in turn, you'll get a much more pleasurable driving experience you just can't find elsewhere. It's just a price you pay, and have to be willing to accept.

My suggestion would be to use the money as a down payment on a new car, something that has a warranty and doesn't need a lot of maintenance. Later down the road when you've got considerably more resources, grab a BMW, but take the time to learn about the car, and in turn, you'll save yourself a heap of money by working on it yourself (that's the ideal goal anyway). Sure, you could get the car and have almost no maintenance costs for a while, but that's just wishful thinking. Eventually, it'll all catch up, and at 140K, while the car isn't quite near the end of its life, you'll wish you'd have gotten a lower mileage car so that you could keep it even longer without having to worry about even MORE things wearing down.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: e90 330i 6mt SP
i've had lots of bmw the last few years. mostly e39's. a e36 also with 180k. e39's ranged from 110k miles to 150k miles.

for the most part, it will run, but these days, so will any car under 200k. but honestly, it's going to a car that will keep you busy almost every weekend. for german cars, i would not recommend buying one with over 100k especially if you are not mechanically and tech inclined, you will be utterly screwed. fortunate i am god at working on cars, so i solved almost all issues, with alot of research ofcourse.

i currently saved up and just bought bought a 330i e90 with 45k miles. i'm at 61k.

over 80k, get Japanese if you don't want a weekend project.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: e90 330i 6mt SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
If you're stretching to afford the BMW it's probably not the vehicle for you.
What he said
Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
miles on Bmw

I just sold my 1995 M3 with 309,000 miles. Not saying it wasn't used up, but it'd never broken down and it still ran strong with original everything!
BMW makes an awesome engine but my 06 330 does seems to want a lot of new little things at 100k!
And too, with Need Based Service, under warranty they do very little to the car. Oil changes at 18-20000 miles was my experience. Wish they'd done the Oxygen Sensors but if you can't make that light come on it's not covered.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:19 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
2006 330 is one of the most solid lines that BMW built. I just sold mine. Given that, it's not the problem that it has a lot of mechanical issues (it doesn't) just when it does, yea it's expensive. I spent $4,000 in one month on 4 different items. That's not even dealership prices. I admit to getting unlucky, and overall I loved the 330 (i held back tears when I sold him).

So if you can't afford the repair bills, may I recommend a lease?

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.