Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche's
X3 info

Hello all. Name is Will, I've had a number of Germans (currently two Porsche's), multiple Audi's and other Porsche's, a MB but no BMW. I've always loved the E39 and E36 M-cars, hopefully I'll get one, one day. But the lady friend is in need of a car, so I have a few in mind for her.

The list is as followed:
x3
x5
RR
First gen Boxter
z4 coupe
3-series (non- M3)
c32 or c45
E55

Since I'm a noob if you will to BMW please help with any and all issues/problems that are common with the first gen X3. The logical side in me says a X3 is the best options, cheap entry price, AWD, big enough for some storage, small enough she can handle, good MPG, hopefully safe(?) and low insurance. However I'd want a E39 m5 or the E55 over the x3, but it is her car and she won't do manual (in terms of the m5) and the 55 is a bit too much fun, I'd 'borrow' it often hehe.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2013, 12:27 PM

Also, what options are good to look for, engine sizes that are best?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Have your lady friend take a test drive in a RX350 -- the ladies love this car and it is reliable, gets good mileage, breautiful interior, ease of entry and exit (important for skirts) has great safety results, and a lot of room for bringing home all the stuff. All the other cars you mention are really "guy" cars and while there are many women who like them, there are probably more who do not -- especially as their personal driver day to day. The X3 is a very hard riding car that can jolt the fillings out of your back teeth on rough roads (my wife, for one hates ours and never fails to tell me how stupid I was to buy it) and this is a woman who drives an A4. Good luck and be sure she takes a long test drive (with her driving) in any car you choose.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:17 AM
MotorPress.ca

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si
RR? c32 or c45?

the cars you have listed here my friend are really all over the place. No way to compare them. You really need to identify the style and budget first to narrow down your list.

For my wife (or your lady friend) I chose the X3 cause its a great all rounder, but if you dont narrow down that list, it will be impossible to understand the needs.

UncleJ, you forgot to mention that by driving a lexus your sexual life is over, so I think Will here wont like that to happen to his lady friend
Old 03-25-2013, 10:24 AM

Yeah she is looking at me to choose and then we'll test drive from there. Thankfully she doesn't mind hard riding, she love my Cayenne S and 951, both of which are not super smooth and she never complained about the s4.

With that being said, her and I will not do Japanese cars. So the Lexus albeit nice, isn't in the equation.

I know my options are scattered, and I'm leaving towards a SUV. But a fun sporty car is something we'd do. She will be driving less than 500 miles a month. I drive about 3k a month for work. So this car will not be used often, by her at least.

I just think the x3 is a great choice, because of price, mpg, size (not too big, but not small). I just want to know if there is any specifics I need to look at (options, engines, years, common issues). I watched the review from a few years back that Jeremy Clarkson did on TG. This won't be used offfroad and due to limited use, stiff suspension shouldn't be an issue.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:42 AM
MotorPress.ca

I love Top Gear UK and never missed an episode, but seriously, dont make decisions based on what JC says
He is funny but never gives a real review, which is not the point of the show anyway. Being an auto journo myself, this is my $0.02.

About the X3, get a facelift 1st gen (after 2007) and with as low mileage as possible to stay away from transfer cases and water pumps.
I bought mine with 148.000km, but it was such I great car I didnt care. @169.000 now, no issues at all (fingers crossed)!!!

Suggestion:
If you want a reasonably priced fun car, that can be feminine but also a boy's toy, get a 135i Sport Package. It has a better auto gear box than the X3 too.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 07 328i 97 Z3
I am a gal and I chose my x3. I needed an AWD that could carry chicken feed and hay. But I also wanted a class-looking vehicle that was fun to drive. I got it all in my 2006 X3. I chose 06 over 07 because if the engine. The one I chose, by the way, had a barely used interior. The lady friend should go along and look for fingernail scratches in the interior and at the door opening.

As for skirts, I just lower my seat in order to step in, then adjust for comfort once inside.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by katfish1121 View Post
I chose 06 over 07 because if the engine.
Can you elaborate a bit on that?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:26 PM

Sorry I meant OF the engine. I wanted the 2006 3.0i not the 2007 si. Some have problems. There is a sticky about that. The 07 I drove had the problem.

I am a reliability freak so I read as much as I could about the model years I could afford.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:31 PM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
Sorry I meant OF the engine. I wanted the 2006 3.0i not the 2007 si. Some have problems. There is a sticky about that. The 07 I drove had the problem.

I am a reliability freak so I read as much as I could about the model years I could afford.
If you mean "because of the crap GM auto gearbox" the 07s have, then OK, we agree.
The 3.0si N52B30 engine is THE BEST BMW HAS EVER MADE without an ///M badge on.
So if indeed you chose the 06 because of the engine, you are missing out a bit

Last edited by sjladopoulos; 03-25-2013 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM

*shrug* I had limited options on what was out there at the time. The 07 I tried had problems. The 06 did not. I had a budget goal and met it. That and reliability are important.

Am I missing out? Who knows. I got what I could afford and am content.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:47 PM
MotorPress.ca

Quote:
*shrug* I had limited options on what was out there at the time. The 07 I tried had problems. The 06 did not. I had a budget goal and met it. That and reliability are important.

Am I missing out? Who knows. I got what I could afford and am content.
ok this is getting off track.

You said that you chose the 06 over the 07 only because of the engine.
All I am saying is that the si engine is a lot better.

Not judging your choice and in fact, if the better choice between the vehicles available to you was the 06, good for you for going for the better condition car.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:02 PM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; '86 442; 84 GMC
I wish my N52 had a dipstick and a mechanical water pump... and was as easy to work on as the M54. Ah well, I guess it's something else to learn (though hopefully I won't have to much beyond preventive maintenance!)

As with ANY car, especially a quirky, finicky European car, check the maintenance history, maintenance history, and maintenance history, in that order.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
my X3 has had some issues, but nothing major (besides the CCV), the Porsche Boxster S I had on the other hand.....dont get me started......only on a Porsche do you have to replace the dual mass flywheel at every clutch change (about 60K miles is all you will get out of it) and dont forget about the randomly exploding IMS bearings (I did the $2k upgrade on mine, parts and labor) my alarm brain fried itself with no sign of water damage and the cheap plastic window on the top wont last very long either.

my CLK500 has been reliable as hell.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedkt442 View Post
I wish my N52 had a dipstick and a mechanical water pump... and was as easy to work on as the M54. Ah well, I guess it's something else to learn (though hopefully I won't have to much beyond preventive maintenance!)

As with ANY car, especially a quirky, finicky European car, check the maintenance history, maintenance history, and maintenance history, in that order.
Nothing with those electric oil level things. My MB had that...never again I said it was such a pain in the rump.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:18 PM

Actually, my husband's 07 Z4 has this engine so I do experience it and it is fine for that vehicle.