Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-24-2013, 07:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325ci 02'
Sport suspension or not ?

Hello,

I have a 2002 325Ci. Now, I have a rear shock leaking oil and need to replace it. When I check online for a replacement, I see 2 options: standard or sport. Not sure if I have the sport one... Is there a way to get this information ? Here is the full VIN:

WBABN33422JW52591

I appreciate your help,

Bruno
Advertisement
Old 03-24-2013, 07:42 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Go on oembimmerparts.com, and enter the last 7 digits of your VIN in the searchbox....they will provide you with a lot of useful info.

And read the E46 Wiki

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 03-24-2013, 08:21 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebrute View Post
Hello,

I have a 2002 325Ci. Now, I have a rear shock leaking oil and need to replace it. When I check online for a replacement, I see 2 options: standard or sport. Not sure if I have the sport one... Is there a way to get this information ? Here is the full VIN:

WBABN33422JW52591

I appreciate your help,

Bruno
In the U.s. all coupes got sport suspension. Pretty sure yours would be as well.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Pretty sure they are sport too... read the wiki and gotmy answer. Now looking for a replacement...stock oem or else, will see.

Bruno
Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
can't go wrong with koni's

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 03-29-2013, 09:13 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
In the U.s. all coupes got sport suspension. Pretty sure yours would be as well.
Is this true for 'verts too?

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 03-29-2013, 11:23 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr826 View Post
Is this true for 'verts too?
I don't believe it is. My neighbor down the street has a 330cic that sits higher than mine, and does not have the sports seats, or wheels. The steering wheel is the same as mine though. Maybe it's a Frankenvert?
Old 03-29-2013, 02:39 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
I don't believe it is. My neighbor down the street has a 330cic that sits higher than mine, and does not have the sports seats, or wheels. The steering wheel is the same as mine though. Maybe it's a Frankenvert?
Agree. I have seen "non sport" vert models myself. Only coupes I believe.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 03-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
I don't think so either, although my E46 cabrio brochure is in Dutch(?).

Sportieve onderstelafstemming wasn't standard, at least in the Netherlands in 2004.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 03-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
See also:
- BMW 10-character vehicle defect code lookup tool for dealer service records (1) & how to better understand your 17-character BMW VIN (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) and online BMW VIN decoders (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & what is the definitive list of electronic computer modules that need recoding once replaced (1)
Old 04-03-2013, 06:47 PM

One last question... at first, I was planning to replace both rear shock even since only one is leaking... now I wonder if it will be best to replace the 4 shock... let's say I go Koni FSD, can I only change the rear shocks and keep the original front ones until they need to be replaced ? Year is 2002, got 114000 km on them.

Bruno
Old 04-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
One last question... at first, I was planning to replace both rear shock even since only one is leaking... now I wonder if it will be best to replace the 4 shock... let's say I go Koni FSD, can I only change the rear shocks and keep the original front ones until they need to be replaced ? Year is 2002, got 114000 km on them.

Bruno
Change all 4. You will be much happier. That said, your fronts probably have some life left, but not a whole lot, depending on how the car was driven. The fact that you are willing to spend the money on the FSD's, tells me that yow want the full benefit that changing all 4 wil provide. Now let me see... which glass contains the iocaine powder?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Thanks for your quick answer !

So changing the four would make more sense. Now, about the coil spring... shall I keep them ? They look in shape. None of them are broken. Again, would it be more logical to get the koni coil spring paired with the shocks or can I keep the original ones ?

Thanks again for your advises !

Bruno
Old 04-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Thanks for your quick answer !

So changing the four would make more sense. Now, about the coil spring... shall I keep them ? They look in shape. None of them are broken. Again, would it be more logical to get the koni coil spring paired with the shocks or can I keep the original ones ?

Thanks again for your advises !

Bruno
In my case, I would stay stock, but it is your car. Do you like how it handles now? Could you stand a stiffer ride? Change just the shocks, and see how you like the ride. You may like it enough that you dont want to change anything else. Just make SURE that your springs are not broken. Look closely at the bottom to be absolutely certain.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:04 AM

This is what I had in mind... but wanted to see if it is logical to change the four shocks while keeping the coil spring. Will make sure they are in good shape before moving forward.

Thanks !!

Bruno
Old 04-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: '02 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
NO. I dont believe that is true. It was optional and came with the Sports Package. I ordered mine as a new build from the factory and I had to add the Sports Package to get that. My car is a model year 2002.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM

I have the 3 spoke steering, the sports seats and the 17 inches 5 spoke mag wheel so according to the wiki, I have the sport package.

Bruno
Old 04-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksath View Post
NO. I dont believe that is true. It was optional and came with the Sports Package. I ordered mine as a new build from the factory and I had to add the Sports Package to get that. My car is a model year 2002.
Check again. And read the wiki.

Coupes all have sport suspension.
Sports package is something different.
I have my new car brochure to prove it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:31 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Even this wiki knows about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_%28E46%29

Sport package (ZSP)

The sport package was available on all E46's, excluding cars with the Performance package and the M3. It consisted of a three spoke sports leather steering wheel and had improved grip over the standard "square" steering wheel. The sport package also included cruise control. The car was also given sport seats which provided better bolstering and support than the stock seats. They also had adjustable thigh supports and were available in manual or power. The sports package also offered 17-inch wheels standard, which came with staggered lower profile tires. Rear-wheel-drive models ordered with the Sport package also received sport suspension, which offered improved handling by way of firmer springs, a lower ride height, and tighter dampers.

So sport package includes sport suspension.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Even this wiki knows about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series_%28E46%29

Sport package (ZSP)

The sport package was available on all E46's, excluding cars with the Performance package and the M3. It consisted of a three spoke sports leather steering wheel and had improved grip over the standard "square" steering wheel. The sport package also included cruise control. The car was also given sport seats which provided better bolstering and support than the stock seats. They also had adjustable thigh supports and were available in manual or power. The sports package also offered 17-inch wheels standard, which came with staggered lower profile tires. Rear-wheel-drive models ordered with the Sport package also received sport suspension, which offered improved handling by way of firmer springs, a lower ride height, and tighter dampers.

So sport package includes sport suspension.
This is what i got. so the question is :

1. Was Sport suspension on the ZSP package = suspension on ALL coupes?

Just because it is in a WIKI does not make it true.

I will pull up my BMW docs.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:33 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
Consider going the other way. Your car has only 114,000 km, which equates to about 70,600 miles. That's nothing in terms of having to replace springs, struts, and shocks. One option is to replace the leaky shock with OEM quality shock, and then replacing all of them with either Koni or Bilstein HD shocks, struts, and shock mounts at around 200,000 km.

Case in point. I have an '01 330i with the sports package, ie, heavy duty stuff all around, like the coupe. At 145K miles (233,450 km) I replaced OEM suspension with Bilstein HD all around, no need to replace the springs. I am as happy as can be. About $764 for shocks, struts, mounts plus another $526 for installation and 4 wheel alignment.

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.

Last edited by Dave 330i; 04-06-2013 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
Consider going the other way. Your car has only 114,000 km, which equates to about 70,600 miles. That's nothing in terms of having to replace springs, struts, and shocks. One option is to replace the leaky shock with OEM quality shock, and then replacing all of them with either Koni or Bilstein HD shocks, struts, and shock mounts at around 200,000 km.

Case in point. I have an '01 330i with the sports package, ie, heavy duty stuff all around, like the coupe. At 145K miles (233,450 km) I replaced OEM suspension with Bilstein HD all around, no need to replace the springs. I am as happy as can be. About $764 for shocks, struts, mounts plus another $526 for installation and 4 wheel alignment.
+1 I don't think new springs are necessary unless you need ALL that the car can offer. I think you made the right move.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:26 AM

Hello,

Got the info from the dealer about the VIN. Have a look at it. The dealer say that I don't have the sport package even if I got the 17" sport wheel, sport steering wheel and sport seats. It look like those options were taken separately and not as a package, leaving the shock standard, non-sport.

VIN long WBABN33422JW52591
Type code BN33
Type 325CI (USA)
Dev. series E46 (2)
Line 3
Body type COUPE
Steering LL
Door count 2
Engine M54
Cubical capacity 2.50
Power 141
Transmision HECK
Gearbox MECH
Colour ORIENTBLAU METALLIC (317)
Upholstery KUNSTLEDER/SCHWARZ (K4SW)
Prod. date 2002-03-13

Order options
No. Description
290 LT/ALY WHEELS STAR SPOKE 44
441 SMOKERS PACKAGE
473 ARMREST, FRONT
481 SPORT SEATS F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER
502 HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM
520 FOGLIGHTS
522 XENON LIGHT
534 AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING
548 SPEEDOMETER WITH KILOMETER READING
650 CD PLAYER
692 CD CHANGER I-BUS PREPARATION
785 WHITE DIRECTION INDICATOR LIGHTS
838 CANADIAN VERSION
896 DAYTIME LIGHTS FUNCTION
925 SHIPPING PROTECTION PACKAGE
926 SPARE WHEEL

Series options
No. Description
249 MULTI-FUNCTION FOR STEERING WHEEL
255 SPORTS LEATHER STEERING WHEEL
354 GREEN STRIPE WINDSCREEN
550 ON-BOARD COMPUTER
645 RADIO CONTROL US
661 RADIO BMW BUSINESS
823 HOT CLIMATE VERSION
832 BATTERY IN LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT
845 ACOUSTIC BELT WARNING
853 LANGUAGE VERSION ENGLISH
876 RADIO FREQUENCY 315 MHZ
992 NUMBER PLATE ATTACHEMENT MANAGEMENT

No sport package in the list...

So, with this information, I should get non-sport, standard shocks...

Anyone can confirm this conclusion ?

Bruno
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 AM

So Sport Suspension is not standard on coupes? But the WIKI said it is was! ...

Last edited by eksath; 04-08-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:43 AM

look like it isn't... the best is to have your VIN explained by the dealer, long version.