Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi
JW, I just ordered a 2013 Jet Black 535xi with most features I wanted (M-Sport, Tech, Premium, Driver Assist, Premium Sound). Should've added soft-close doors and multi-contour seats but oh well! Not sure when it's coming in, not on a boat yet but I'm hoping by end of April at the latest. Yes, I would agree that going from a Tacoma to your current ride is quite a change. Glad to see you're happy with it. I'm coming from an '07 530xi which was great but I'm so ready to move on. I'm sure I'm going to like all the options except the RFTs the car comes with. Can't believe BMW would continue to include tires that seem like 90% of owners don't care for. Speaking of which, that's the first mod planned, I'm swapping out the tires for non-RFs, most likely Michelins. Not really sure what else I want to do yet, but getting some great ideas from this forum, which is how I ended up seeing this thread on fog lamps! Can't wait to get the car and start playing with it.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase3006 View Post
JW, I just ordered a 2013 Jet Black 535xi with most features I wanted (M-Sport, Tech, Premium, Driver Assist, Premium Sound). Should've added soft-close doors and multi-contour seats but oh well! Not sure when it's coming in, not on a boat yet but I'm hoping by end of April at the latest. Yes, I would agree that going from a Tacoma to your current ride is quite a change. Glad to see you're happy with it. I'm coming from an '07 530xi which was great but I'm so ready to move on. I'm sure I'm going to like all the options except the RFTs the car comes with. Can't believe BMW would continue to include tires that seem like 90% of owners don't care for. Speaking of which, that's the first mod planned, I'm swapping out the tires for non-RFs, most likely Michelins. Not really sure what else I want to do yet, but getting some great ideas from this forum, which is how I ended up seeing this thread on fog lamps! Can't wait to get the car and start playing with it.
You couldn't have ordered Soft-close automatic doors as it's only available on the 550i as part of the Executive Package.

For some reason, after MY 2011, BMW discontinued them in the 535i, which along with them discontinuing 4-Zone AC in all F10's, makes little sense to me.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 03-26-2013, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
You couldn't have ordered Soft-close automatic doors as it's only available on the 550i as part of the Executive Package.

For some reason, after MY 2011, BMW discontinued them in the 535i, which along with them discontinuing 4-Zone AC in all F10's, makes little sense to me.
Really on the soft close doors? Well thanks, that answers that..
Old 03-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Really on the soft close doors? Well thanks, that answers that..
Sad, but true.

About a year ago, I coded a brand new MY 2012 F12 650i Convertible, stickered at $120k, and Soft Close doors wasn't even an available option on it. I am not sure if they added it for MY 2013 or not, although I know the new M6 has them.

...but you can retrofit them for $1,744.93

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...close-retrofit

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 03-26-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:03 PM
MBACPA

Mein Auto: '14 F06; '14 F32
Quote:
Yeah, the contour seats are pretty nice. I was looking at either a '12 550xi or '13 528xi, and the 550 had the nice seats. Since most of my time in the car is commuting, I opted for the 528, and I'm getting a combined 25 - 28 mpg. Part of me regrets not going with the 550, but since this is my first BMW, it gives me something to look forward to with my next one! As for the RFTs, I couldn't agree more. My wife's 328xi had them, and we hated them. Went through a couple sidewall blowouts before I swapped them for standard tires. Luckily, her aftermarket rims and standard tires from her 328 fit my 528, so I'll only use the RFTs in the winter for as long as they last.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwblack750 View Post
Yeah, the contour seats are pretty nice. I was looking at either a '12 550xi or '13 528xi, and the 550 had the nice seats. Since most of my time in the car is commuting, I opted for the 528, and I'm getting a combined 25 - 28 mpg. Part of me regrets not going with the 550, but since this is my first BMW, it gives me something to look forward to with my next one! As for the RFTs, I couldn't agree more. My wife's 328xi had them, and we hated them. Went through a couple sidewall blowouts before I swapped them for standard tires. Luckily, her aftermarket rims and standard tires from her 328 fit my 528, so I'll only use the RFTs in the winter for as long as they last.
I almost went with a 550xi too but opted for the 535 for the same reason you did. And yet I am sure there will be a 550 in my future too. As for the tires, it's not only the horror stories about blowouts and bubbles that convinced me to change them, it's that the vast majority of owners whose posts I have read regarding the tires (at least on 19" wheels) don't find them to give a very comfortable ride. A 70k luxury sedan should feel as comfortable as possible IMO. And I'm getting all-season tires that will hopefully give me enough traction to get through the surprisingly mild winters we have been having in NYC recently.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
Sad, but true.

About a year ago, I coded a brand new MY 2012 F12 650i Convertible, stickered at $120k, and Soft Close doors wasn't even an available option on it. I am not sure if they added it for MY 2013 or not, although I know the new M6 has them.

...but you can retrofit them for $1,744.93

http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...close-retrofit
At almost $1800 to retrofit soft close doors, I can and will live without them. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Can you buy these lights at a auto part store? What's the wattage I have a2013 535i. Will it burn out or hurt the cars wiring in any way