Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-25-2013, 05:32 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
HELP! I have a little problem...

We got hit with a little bit of a blizzard last night and I got stuck out in it. My 335 was going nowhere, fast. I had to call AAA for a tow home. The problem is, when we got back, the hazard lights were completely covered in snow, and I forgot they were on.

So fast forward to this morning, and the battery is just about completely dead. The hazards did still have a faint blink to them, but not much. I stuck my key in the car foolishly hoping that somehow it might just have enough juice for one quick start. It didn't. Now it won't eject my key fob, which is probably just draining more power. Unless there is a key cylinder somewhere that I'm missing, I also can't open my trunk to get to my battery to try to jump it.

Any ideas? I have none left.

Ads by Google
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Use the jump terminals under the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Manual.PNG
Views:	32
Size:	110.0 KB
ID:	368080  

Last edited by gpburdell; 03-25-2013 at 05:39 AM. Reason: added clip from manual
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 AM

Thanks! I learn something new every day.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:23 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
If you have auto and the shifter is locked, then you can pop the cover (where the shifter is) with a screw driver and flip the lock switch. Be careful not to scratch the exterior. Not sure why they have this lock mechanism, but it sure is annoying.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 AM

I have a stick. The AAA guy just left. It was quite odd, when he hooked his jumper box up to the car, he said he had almost no reading from it... no juice. He then told me to go ahead and try to start it, and it started immediately. I'm going to let it run for a while, then see about clearing the driveway and backing it into the garage.

I must say, I was stunned last night at how bad the car was on the snowy roads. I thought I had had it out in a little bit of slush earlier in the year and been okay. I must have dreamed that. I know that performance tires are not all-weather tires, but wow, I was going NOWHERE. The tow guy set me on the road to see if I could make it home. I didn't make it a foot forward before the rear tires slid right back into the grass.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:04 AM

The car is now safely in the garage. I did get a message that the active steering was disengaged, though, in addition the the active steering light appearing on the dash. Hopefully that's not a big issue.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaIndy View Post
I must say, I was stunned last night at how bad the car was on the snowy roads.
It's not the car as much as it's the tires. Summer performance tires are worse than worthless in snow.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
I'm guessing that the steering light is because that car doesn't have anywhere near a complete charge in the battery. It can't have a full charge if you jumped it and just ran it for a few minutes.

The next thing you should do is go get a good quality battery charger, connect it, and walk away for about 12 hours. You should get a full charge in that battery ASAP. Every garage needs a charger.

Last edited by Pilgrim; 03-25-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post
It's not the car as much as it's the tires. Summer performance tires are worse than worthless in snow.
This !!!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
I'm guessing that the steering light is because that car doesn't have anywhere near a complete charge in the battery. It can't have a full charge if you jumped it and just ran it for a few minutes.

The next thing you should do is go get a good quality battery charger, connect it, and walk away for about 12 hours. You should get a full charge in that battery ASAP. Every garage needs a charger.
I let it run for about an hour after it was jumped.

Do you recommend any particular chargers?