Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Wonky Electronics On My New F30. How About Yours?

I love driving my new F30, but I have also been experiencing some real wonkiness in the electronics on the car, and I am wondering whether many other people here have been experiencing the same thing.

I mentioned in another thread that Bluetooth Audio will not re-pair my iPhone even though it had been paired before. It's a design flaw in the first place that the Audio becomes unpaired when I plug the iPhone into the console. But now, it won't even pair the thing again. It sees that it's there, but when I select it to pair, nothing happens. Some have said I need to unpair the thing and start over from scratch. But why should I even have to do that, right?

But that's not all:
  • Randomness with my iPod. Sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds to engage the music, sometimes two minutes, sometimes it engages immediately. No rhyme or reason.
  • Sometimes album art won't associate with a song at all; other times it will take 15 or more seconds to catch up; still others, it will associate with the prior song.
  • The audio mode has changed itself from Multimedia to Radio without warning.
  • Inexplicable screen changes from driving session to session. E.g., I leave the iDrive screen on radio, turn off the car, come back later, start the car again and now the screen is on HUD settings. (BTW, it's the same key.)
  • The PDC in front is spotty. It might do intermittent beeps, then stop beeping as I get closer, then the steady tone. The other day I bumped into some chairs I'm storing in the garage because the steady tone never came. The car is literally touching the chairs and it is still doing intermittent beeps.
  • The navigation seemed to be off by 100 or 200 feet or so when I first got it. I haven't seen that lately, but it's a good bet to happen again.
  • The map perspective has gotten stuck. E.g., I might want to zoom out from 800' to 1 mile, and the screen will stay on 800', even though the legend has changed to 1 mile.
And this is just what I have seen within the first 400 miles. Who knows what other surprises are lurking in there?

None of these things happened on my 2009 E90. The electronics on that thing were flawless.

Some people here might say, so what?, do you like the way the car drives?, yeah?, so what's your problem? But to me, the electronics is a big part of the driving experience, even if the on-road performance kicks ass. My enjoyment is significantly diminished if the electronics act up in a seemingly random manner. And for $50,000, should I have to simply withstand these problems for the next four or so years?

My fear, of course, is that when I take it in to get looked at, BMW will tell me they can't replicate the problem, shrug their shoulders and lead me back to my car so I can go home. Meanwhile, I'll have to put up with these issues for the next few years. I've seen that movie before.

Or maybe not? Are these known issues with a well-defined fix? Or do I simply have a faulty unit without a solution, can't be helped, and try not to let it bother me?

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 09:10 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
The only commonality I have experienced with your issues in the 7 months I've owned the car is the inexplicable screen changes each time I re-start the car.

I always stop the engine and double-press the "off" button with the map on fullscreen, it's my default for daily driving, nice big map. Whenever I restart the car, it's an adventure. 50% of the time, the fullscreen map comes back. But the other 50% of the time I'll wind up kicked over to a) fullscreen map but with options bar thrown rightwards, b) into main menu, c) into map submenu, d) into audio source menu.

As for your iPod issues, make sure you have updated all firmware for BMW and Apple. What type/year iPod are you using?

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Have you tried to go to BMW.com and download the update and install it into you car?
It's mainly for the better integration of the iPhone/iPod into the car.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:52 AM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
I'm not sure if its the hardware or software but yeah, seems like stability isn't anywhere near where it should be.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The only commonality I have experienced with your issues in the 7 months I've owned the car is the inexplicable screen changes each time I re-start the car.

I always stop the engine and double-press the "off" button with the map on fullscreen, it's my default for daily driving, nice big map. Whenever I restart the car, it's an adventure. 50% of the time, the fullscreen map comes back. But the other 50% of the time I'll wind up kicked over to a) fullscreen map but with options bar thrown rightwards, b) into main menu, c) into map submenu, d) into audio source menu.
I figured it wasn't universal. I can accept to a degree that the electronics may not be as robust as four years ago, but it's hard to accept that I have a faulty unit.

Quote:
As for your iPod issues, make sure you have updated all firmware for BMW and Apple. What type/year iPod are you using?

BJ
We've talked about this before: I have a 160GB Classic, and you pointed out its limitations vis a vis the Apple cable in the car. I wouldn't go to a Touch unless they had at least 128GB of storage, and I predict not only will that never happen, but they will eventually phase out all but the minimum of storage in future iDevice iterations, as I imagine they will expect everyone to attach their music exclusively from the Cloud.

I don't have a philosophical issue with putting my music in the Cloud--none of my sensitive data is embedded in my music--but then that makes me dependent on a strong Internet connection, and that's not always available just yet.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Have you tried to go to BMW.com and download the update and install it into you car?
It's mainly for the better integration of the iPhone/iPod into the car.
Yes, it was one of the first things I did with the car, and now that you mention it, now I have to wonder whether that's what's creating the problem.

Updated software is supposed to make devices operate better, not worse, but all of us have enough experience with computing devices to know that's not always the case.

Old 03-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post

We've talked about this before: I have a 160GB Classic, and you pointed out its limitations vis a vis the Apple cable in the car. I wouldn't go to a Touch unless they had at least 128GB of storage, and I predict not only will that never happen, but they will eventually phase out all but the minimum of storage in future iDevice iterations, as I imagine they will expect everyone to attach their music exclusively from the Cloud.
Thanks for the reminder on your setup.

It's the hard-drive-based iPod Classic that is the cause of your library delays/art/lag issues, I'm 99% sure based on my own experience with my own 160GB Classic in my E90. Hopefully someone using a Classic in the F30 can chime in, see what their experience is.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 03-25-2013, 11:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
I heard the NAV wonkiness was an issue in the EU/UK...so that's def a known issue.

Have you had your car in for the update from last Nov/Dec? I know it was a totally new flash/SIB.

I haven't had any of those electronic bug's/issues thus far, only twice do I recall a screen change, but assumed it was because my wife had opened the car with her key inbetween sessions...

this is odd...what does the dealer say?
Old 03-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
I probably haven't had my car long enough yet to notice any of that, but some of that sounds like a real nuisance. I wouldn't be satisfied with it at all.

I had some electronic issues with my E90, and they were addressed via re-programming. I would hope that would apply here.

Last edited by krash; 03-25-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I love driving my new F30, but I have also been experiencing some real wonkiness in the electronics on the car, and I am wondering whether many other people here have been experiencing the same thing.

I mentioned in another thread that Bluetooth Audio will not re-pair my iPhone even though it had been paired before. It's a design flaw in the first place that the Audio becomes unpaired when I plug the iPhone into the console. But now, it won't even pair the thing again. It sees that it's there, but when I select it to pair, nothing happens. Some have said I need to unpair the thing and start over from scratch. But why should I even have to do that, right?

But that's not all:
  • Randomness with my iPod. Sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds to engage the music, sometimes two minutes, sometimes it engages immediately. No rhyme or reason.
  • Sometimes album art won't associate with a song at all; other times it will take 15 or more seconds to catch up; still others, it will associate with the prior song.
  • The audio mode has changed itself from Multimedia to Radio without warning.
  • Inexplicable screen changes from driving session to session. E.g., I leave the iDrive screen on radio, turn off the car, come back later, start the car again and now the screen is on HUD settings. (BTW, it's the same key.)
  • The PDC in front is spotty. It might do intermittent beeps, then stop beeping as I get closer, then the steady tone. The other day I bumped into some chairs I'm storing in the garage because the steady tone never came. The car is literally touching the chairs and it is still doing intermittent beeps.
  • The navigation seemed to be off by 100 or 200 feet or so when I first got it. I haven't seen that lately, but it's a good bet to happen again.
  • The map perspective has gotten stuck. E.g., I might want to zoom out from 800' to 1 mile, and the screen will stay on 800', even though the legend has changed to 1 mile.
And this is just what I have seen within the first 400 miles. Who knows what other surprises are lurking in there?

None of these things happened on my 2009 E90. The electronics on that thing were flawless.

Some people here might say, so what?, do you like the way the car drives?, yeah?, so what's your problem? But to me, the electronics is a big part of the driving experience, even if the on-road performance kicks ass. My enjoyment is significantly diminished if the electronics act up in a seemingly random manner. And for $50,000, should I have to simply withstand these problems for the next four or so years?

My fear, of course, is that when I take it in to get looked at, BMW will tell me they can't replicate the problem, shrug their shoulders and lead me back to my car so I can go home. Meanwhile, I'll have to put up with these issues for the next few years. I've seen that movie before.

Or maybe not? Are these known issues with a well-defined fix? Or do I simply have a faulty unit without a solution, can't be helped, and try not to let it bother me?
I had highlighted problem in my E90. When I was listening to my iPod, it would randomly switch to radio. It was fixed via re-programming.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Yes, it was one of the first things I did with the car, and now that you mention it, now I have to wonder whether that's what's creating the problem.

Updated software is supposed to make devices operate better, not worse, but all of us have enough experience with computing devices to know that's not always the case.
I would go to the dealer and have it checked out, you seem to be having a lot of different issues. I have a very early 2012 with virtually none of these problems (but I don't use an iPod for music)
Old 03-25-2013, 11:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
I would go to the dealer and have it checked out, you seem to be having a lot of different issues. I have a very early 2012 with virtually none of these problems (but I don't use an iPod for music)
I wonder if the early 2012 models are saved from this...I'm an early 2012 too.

Also haven't had any mechanical issues with engine either (I've heard of the limp mode due to the electric fan issues for late 2012 and 2012 M-sport series)...

How could QC go DOWN over time in production? tsk tsk BMW...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneil View Post
I wonder if the early 2012 models are saved from this...I'm an early 2012 too.

Also haven't had any mechanical issues with engine either (I've heard of the limp mode due to the electric fan issues for late 2012 and 2012 M-sport series)...

How could QC go DOWN over time in production? tsk tsk BMW...
It's just like any software release. I manage a large software development organization. Just because the current version in production works fine, that doesn't mean the new release will be completely bug free. Any time a new version is released, there is always a chance for new bugs.

This rule applies to everything from the systems you use at your company, to things on the internet like Yahoo and Photobucket to the software used in your car.

chasfh, might have a later version that is buggy. I'm just wondering what version I have...
Old 03-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Playin' With Your Head

On the plus side, the on-road performance of my car has been first-rate. Nothing but hearts and flowers. So I'm not exactly regretting the purchase.

I'm just a little concerned that when I point out all the electronics nonsense to them on the day I drop off my car to have my ASS dealt with, their response is going to be some variation of, "We can't replicate the problems you're claiming."

Old 03-25-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
On the plus side, the on-road performance of my car has been first-rate. Nothing but hearts and flowers. So I'm not exactly regretting the purchase.

I'm just a little concerned that when I point out all the electronics nonsense to them on the day I drop off my car to have my ASS dealt with, their response is going to be some variation of, "We can't replicate the problems you're claiming."
To be honest, that's another reason why I might not re-program ASS. If all my electronics are working fine, why give them an opportunity to introduce new bugs????
Old 03-25-2013, 12:15 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
I (fortunately) haven't experienced any of these issues with the exception of having to re-pair my iPhone once... If software updates can't resolve this I'm thinking it's a component or electronic issue. New to BMW but I assume they have a diagnostic program to validate the integrity of components. Good luck!

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 03-25-2013, 12:29 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:

Good thinking. You could always revert it if there's a problem .

Ohh btw, I forgot to mention, I took my 2013 X3 last week for squeaking pano roof, my SA told me that there was a recall on the Nav, applies to 3,5, X3. BMW will upgrade it for free.

Here are the SIB
Recall cas SIB 61 38 12
Cas software error
Programmed complete vehicle including cas.
Cleared fault memory. Initiated electromagnetic steering system.

Recall Nav update SIB 65 22 12
Nav map data incorrect
Nav map updated through USB port.

Warning, this wipes out The Coding >_>
So far on the navigation, they updated it from 2012 to 2013a1
I'm seeing a clear map with incorporated details, such as parks and stuff. I will add more as soon as I use the navigation more.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
^ Good to know BMW is inclined to improve its NAV and the hardware is capable of of exploiting it. Thanks kamigawa!

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 03-25-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Good thinking. You could always revert it if there's a problem .

Ohh btw, I forgot to mention, I took my 2013 X3 last week for squeaking pano roof, my SA told me that there was a recall on the Nav, applies to 3,5, X3. BMW will upgrade it for free.

Here are the SIB
Recall cas SIB 61 38 12
Cas software error
Programmed complete vehicle including cas.
Cleared fault memory. Initiated electromagnetic steering system.

Recall Nav update SIB 65 22 12
Nav map data incorrect
Nav map updated through USB port.

Warning, this wipes out The Coding >_>
So far on the navigation, they updated it from 2012 to 2013a1
I'm seeing a clear map with incorporated details, such as parks and stuff. I will add more as soon as I use the navigation more.
Very interesting. Can you post some pics of the nav display where you see differences?

BJ

Old 03-25-2013, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Thanks for the reminder on your setup.

It's the hard-drive-based iPod Classic that is the cause of your library delays/art/lag issues, I'm 99% sure based on my own experience with my own 160GB Classic in my E90. Hopefully someone using a Classic in the F30 can chime in, see what their experience is.

BJ
Classic is a spinning hard disk as opposed to flash so it doesn't do well in the cold.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:30 PM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Classic is a spinning hard disk as opposed to flash so it doesn't do well in the cold.
I don't keep it in the car, so it's always warm.

Old 03-25-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pony_trekker View Post
Nor tremendous heat either.

My 160GB Classic fried on me last June after less than 14 months in my E90, I'm convinced the drive just isn't built for those extremes. Not to mention its very slow compared to flash media anyway, not the best in-car product. Skipping and refreshing and ID3 and artwork, its a lot to ask of the 2001 technology. But if you need that much drive space, it's what it is.

BJ

Old 03-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Playin' With Your Head

I may rethink my reliance on iPod once this one goes. I actually use it for podcasts, but I could probably get the same utility from Stitcher. Maybe I will consider getting a couple of 64 GB flash drives, one for the rock, the other for the rest. We'll see.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I may rethink my reliance on iPod once this one goes. I actually use it for podcasts, but I could probably get the same utility from Stitcher. Maybe I will consider getting a couple of 64 GB flash drives, one for the rock, the other for the rest. We'll see.
I gave up on my iPod Classic. It's been retired from my car. It's now permanently connected to my in-house sound system, and it works great for that.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
It's just like any software release. I manage a large software development organization. Just because the current version in production works fine, that doesn't mean the new release will be completely bug free. Any time a new version is released, there is always a chance for new bugs.

This rule applies to everything from the systems you use at your company, to things on the internet like Yahoo and Photobucket to the software used in your car.

chasfh, might have a later version that is buggy. I'm just wondering what version I have...
No I have all the available software updates, some done by dealer, others I did via USB.

I think the OP has a fault the dealer needs to look into.