Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
To be honest, that's another reason why I might not re-program ASS. If all my electronics are working fine, why give them an opportunity to introduce new bugs????
My understanding is that it isn't a software upgrade, just accessing a config setting that isn't visible through iDrive.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
My understanding is that it isn't a software upgrade, just accessing a config setting that isn't visible through iDrive.
Thanks. That's good to know.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Get a 64 gig touch and a large thumb drive. You don't need more music than that, and it's easy enough to load new music on when you want it. If an ipod touch will solve a lot of these music related problems, it sounds like sacrificing the ability to have 65,000 songs on hand for ~20k songs and reliable behavior is worth it.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 03-26-2013, 06:39 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
That's a good thought, KLC. The only issue I have with that is the 64GB iTouch is $400. If I want a 64 GB device that I will rarely need to update music on, I might as well go to Microcenter and pick up a couple of 64GB flash drives for $30 apiece, and use my iPhone to process my podcasts through iTunes and Stitcher. And as I type this out, that option looks more and more attractive.

The main thing I would miss with that is Playlists, though.

133U | 300 | 8AT | LCSW | ZDH | ZLP | ZPP | ZTP | 494 | 4AB | 508 | 5AC | 688

Last edited by chasfh; 03-26-2013 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:55 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
True, if you already have an iPhone you probably don't need a touch for the podcast functionality. I'm not entirely sure what the difference between a thumb drive and a touch is as far as just playing songs. Album art maybe? Organization?

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 03-26-2013, 07:18 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLC View Post
True, if you already have an iPhone you probably don't need a touch for the podcast functionality. I'm not entirely sure what the difference between a thumb drive and a touch is as far as just playing songs. Album art maybe? Organization?
The organization you get from using an apple product (assuming you have enhances USB/BT) is excellent. Album art work, artists, albums, songs... all recognized by the car. The interface is actually pretty slick. The only thing missing is integrated Siri support via the steering wheel. That stupid voice button should just start Siri since the integration is already awesome.

For those that haven't tried, invoking Siri via your phone brings her voice over the speakers and pauses/interrupts whatever you are listening too so that you can give her some commands. Then you just "hang up" the call via the steering wheel.

And as for electronic issues, all of mine were fixed for the most part when I took the car in and they performed a number of software updates on my vehicle. The only thing which happens occasionally is when switching profiles, my drivers side mirror will not reset back to its proper position. Really strange.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 03-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
You get album art with thumb drives, but no playlists, podcast updates or general syncing.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:19 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Besides what samuel pointed out, the biggest gamechanger is this:

The iPhone is just a slave to iTunes. It is iTunes that is the master, organizing your music collection. Any iOS device- iPod, iPad, iPhone- is merely a mobile "mirror" of your desktop iTunes. Sit at your computer, launch iTunes, make a bunch of changes, download new songs, tweak a few playlists, pull down some apps, subscribe to some podcasts, add some album artwork, no problem. If you have 10 iOS devices, each syncs to iTunes, push one button, bam, all the changes you made in iTunes are mirrored consistently to each device.

With a thumb-drive, none of this happens because a thumb drive is not an Apple iOS device and does not sync to iTunes. So if you used a thumb drive you would have to manually make all those changes in Windows, not iTunes, it's messy and impossible.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM
Playin' With Your Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Good thinking. You could always revert it if there's a problem .

Ohh btw, I forgot to mention, I took my 2013 X3 last week for squeaking pano roof, my SA told me that there was a recall on the Nav, applies to 3,5, X3. BMW will upgrade it for free.

Here are the SIB
Recall cas SIB 61 38 12
Cas software error
Programmed complete vehicle including cas.
Cleared fault memory. Initiated electromagnetic steering system.

Recall Nav update SIB 65 22 12
Nav map data incorrect
Nav map updated through USB port.

Warning, this wipes out The Coding >_>
So far on the navigation, they updated it from 2012 to 2013a1
I'm seeing a clear map with incorporated details, such as parks and stuff. I will add more as soon as I use the navigation more.
Today, I wrote to the SA at my dealership to inform her of the electronics funkiness I have been experiencing and, as I probably should have expected, received this answer: "This information really needs to be seen by one of our service advisors. I'm going to forward it on to James so he can look into your concerns and be prepared for your service visit. " I basically wanted to advise them so they could review whether there are known issues, but instead they are not going to think about it until it's there. Makes sense, I guess, but this is making me a little more nervous that the response is going to be "sorry, we can't replicate any of your problems", and that will be the end of that.

In addition, I asked her about the navigation recall you referenced above. I asked this exact question:

"I heard in the past couple of days that there is a navigation recall or update for the 3 that will be taken care of at no charge? I learned about it here: http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13699976 (posted 3/21/13). Can you please confirm?"

Her answer:

"I spoke to James and you do not have any open recalls or campaigns on your vehicle."

The way this was answered seems unsatisfactory because it doesn't address the specific thing I am asking about. It addresses only the general topic of recalls. So, this thing might be available to me, but they might be choosing to withhold it from me for reasons that accrue to their advantage.

What do you think? I'm mulling the idea of calling Elizabeth at Park Ave, since you identified her in the thread, to get some color around this issue and then calling my SA to engage her directly on this.

Last edited by chasfh; 03-26-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: 13' 335i M-Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
With a thumb-drive, none of this happens because a thumb drive is not an Apple iOS device and does not sync to iTunes. So if you used a thumb drive you would have to manually make all those changes in Windows, not iTunes, it's messy and impossible.
It's far from impossible. iTunes isn't the only app capable of ripping, organizing, and syncying a music collection to a device.

Windows Media Player has all of those capabilities, though if you want album art you do have to embed it into the files yourself.

The thumb drive I'm using takes up virtually no space in the armrest. And it only cost me 40 bucks, as opposed to finding an iDevice.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:34 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwFlooner View Post
It's far from impossible. iTunes isn't the only app capable of ripping, organizing, and syncying a music collection to a device.

Windows Media Player has all of those capabilities, though if you want album art you do have to embed it into the files yourself.

The thumb drive I'm using takes up virtually no space in the armrest. And it only cost me 40 bucks, as opposed to finding an iDevice.
If there is software that syncs iTunes to itself and then allows you to sync a thumb drive to it that's a different story.

No way I'm going to create and maintain two libraries for a 20,000 song collection with 300 playlists, 7,000 artists, 200 genres, 20,000 playcounts, etc. to save $100 on a used iPod Touch.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
If there is software that syncs iTunes to itself and then allows you to sync a thumb drive to it that's a different story.

No way I'm going to create and maintain two libraries for a 20,000 song collection with 300 playlists, 7,000 artists, 200 genres, 20,000 playcounts, etc. to save $100 on a used iPod Touch.
If you're already heavily invested in iTunes it makes sense to use iPlayers in your car.

But if you're like me and never hopped on the iBandwagon and have built up your library outside of iTunes, you do have other options that are just as practical as buying into Apple to make your library accessible in your car.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfh View Post
You get album art with thumb drives, but no playlists, podcast updates or general syncing.
FWIW, playlists are also possible on thumb drives.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I got a similar non-answer from my dealer on ASS not restarting as it should. They kept it for a week, couldn't figure it out & finally gave it back saying the couldn't recreate the issue & no one else has reported such an issue. Except I know others here have reported it & even the SA that made the appointment for me (wasn't the same one I talked to at drop off/ pick up) said he's had it happen.

Latest quirk is that my average MPG meter now jumps up & down realtime rather than showing cumulative average since the last reset. I tried resetting & still no joy.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient View Post
Latest quirk is that my average MPG meter now jumps up & down realtime rather than showing cumulative average since the last reset. I tried resetting & still no joy.
Did you accidentally bump the Computer button on the steering stalk? Or are you saying you set it back to Average but it keeps starting up in Current (real-time)?
Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 PM

I don't think I bumped anything, but it's possible. I reset it via the iDrive. Is there a setting somewhere for Average vs. Current, if so where? That may be what got changed but since I didn't do it intentionally, I don't know where it is! I'll poke around for it when I'm in the car tonight.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient View Post
I don't think I bumped anything, but it's possible. I reset it via the iDrive. Is there a setting somewhere for Average vs. Current, if so where? That may be what got changed but since I didn't do it intentionally, I don't know where it is! I'll poke around for it when I'm in the car tonight.
Try clicking the top button at the end of the turn signal until you cycle back around to the average fuel consumption display.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:27 PM

Thank you BmwFlooner - the button on the turn signal got it back to average consumption.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: F30 2013 320D Sport
2 weird things I've notice on my 2 month old F30 320D
1: The extended range/bonus range/fuel gain value in ECO-PRO seems to randomly reset itself to 0km every once in a while- I didn't reset the trip computer or odometer. (one moment it was showing 53km gained ,then it was showing 0km gained and it starts to increase again from 0km..if I drive in ECO-Pro that is.)
2: MP3's I was listening to via an 8GB usb stick sometimes restart/playing from the beginning of the track when I start the car, other times they continue from where they were before the car was switched off.

ok 3 things: I find the breaks rather tricky to modulate at very slow speeds/in traffic...it can be very difficult to crawl along or come to a complete stop without a jerking to a halt - perhaps I am being overly sensitive on this one

and another irritation, I have the extended instruments display, but the song title/contact name/tel number that you can scroll through on the dash using the dial on the steering wheel doesn't take full advantage of the extended LCD display real-estate ...and the song name you are playing does not scroll or show in full on the iDrive screen either (if you have long track names/descriptions)...seems rather silly and a bit of an oversight.

Last edited by justplain; 04-01-2013 at 09:02 AM.