Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Tesla 3-Series Rival Info

Interesting article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markrogo...rtner=yahootix
Ads by Google
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
I doubt that people are going for this because tesla already has a bad rep for making the people that bought the Model S look like a bunch of Genie Pigs.
I personally feel bad for them.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: '12 X535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
I doubt that people are going for this because tesla already has a bad rep for making the people that bought the Model S look like a bunch of Genie Pigs.
First, it's Guinea. Hard "g". Nothing to do with your favorite Disney cartoon.

Second, with all those little gremlins and the need for regular software updates, the owners of all current BMWs will feel totally at home in a Tesla.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post

Second, with all those little gremlins and the need for regular software updates, the owners of all current BMWs will feel totally at home in a Tesla.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:41 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Considered Tesla until I spent an hour researching the car. Too risky, too science fictioney, and I might add Elon Musk triggers my BS detector.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:

I'm sorry but the digital world has this auto spell corrector if you havent been into the 21st century.

As for your second paragraph, there is no way that the software will fix everything on the car, a true enthuast will always be able to tell the difference. And no, BMW owners will not be at home in a Tesla with an electric engine.
Reason why BMW became popular is because just because of its brand but its legendary revolutionary engines which is true until today.
Come on now, gas and electric engines are not going to be the same, ever.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 Grand Cherokee
Well the stock jumped huge today so apparently some people are excited about this.

Current - 2004 Jaguar XJ8 Vanden Plas - British Racing Green
Still Missed - 2008 535i - Platinum Grey / Beige Nasca
Old 03-25-2013, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
My car has to have a combustion engine in it. A real good one. 10 years from now, I might think differently.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Any of you think that eventually they will make combustion engine sounds come from speakers rather than from the engine itself? Like a silent electric engine that sounds like a Ferrari because it just plays the appropriate level of sound through some speakers.

I know that's already done to a minimal extent, but with combustion engines expected to be phased out eventually, I don't know what else we'll do. The sound an engine makes is one of the most important aspects of driving for some people. To please those people they'll have to either fake it....or....any other ideas?
Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Quote:

Not so fast!

He'll grant you three wishes as long as none of them involve bacon.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 03-25-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
Any of you think that eventually they will make combustion engine sounds come from speakers rather than from the engine itself? Like a silent electric engine that sounds like a Ferrari because it just plays the appropriate level of sound through some speakers.

I know that's already done to a minimal extent, but with combustion engines expected to be phased out eventually, I don't know what else we'll do. The sound an engine makes is one of the most important aspects of driving for some people. To please those people they'll have to either fake it....or....any other ideas?
I think we have a couple decades before we need to worry about it. I might be wrong, but I don't think we need to worry about this any time soon...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
Not so fast!

He'll great you three wishes as long as none of them involve bacon.
Heh, good one!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
There are quite a few Tesla Model S's running around here, plus they are getting great reviews from magazines.

I would love to try out a lease on an electric car next time (in 2 years for me).
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry but the digital world has this auto spell corrector if you havent been into the 21st century.
Your autocorrect is buggier than an alpha version of Tesla S!
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Melbourne Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post
There are quite a few Tesla Model S's running around here, plus they are getting great reviews from magazines.

I would love to try out a lease on an electric car next time (in 2 years for me).

They are pretty popular over here too! there are about 6 or 7 nissan leafs on my block and my neighbor across the street just got a Model S. his other car is a late model M3... lucky guy!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i m-sport EB2
by the time they get this out, with probably a horrible touchscreen interface and much shorter range and tons of issues in 3-4 years, the i3 with a range extender will have been out for a while.

it doesnt even say its a 3 series fighter, just that its the 3rd gen of their platform. im pretty sure givcen the amount of time BMW has spent testing the 1E and mini E (i've seen them in socal a lot) that the BMW will probably at least work properly and likely handle better.

i'm staying loyal. musk is just a BS machine, tryign to get more funding because he'll likely need it
Old 03-25-2013, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Here's Brian Cooley doing the Tesla S and another video doing an "Unboxing":

Only thing I don't like is I can't afford one otherwise I would've already placed a deposit. Friend of ours in San Diego got rid of his Jaguar and is "in heaven" with the Tesla S.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Poorly written article. All speculation and avoids the bigger infrastructure problem entirely.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 03-25-2013, 09:53 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
We would really have loved to support the local business, however the fundamentals of Telsa as an automaker are still a bit shaky, and each car's price tag still carries a substantial portion to fund R&D, so we decided to trust the Germans 6k miles away instead.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:00 PM

Mein Auto: A Car!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post

It's already happening to some extent. See http://www.autoblog.com/2012/04/24/l...em-enabled-vs/
Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Your autocorrect is buggier than an alpha version of Tesla S!
Tell that to apple, you know if you get the idea then go with the flow, you don't have to be an ass about it. I'm reading and typing as fast as i could on the fly.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:39 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
I'd go for a Tesla S over a BMW.

I like them. A lot. Better all electric than hybrid crap.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:

As for your second paragraph, there is no way that the software will fix everything on the car, a true enthuast will always be able to tell the difference. And no, BMW owners will not be at home in a Tesla with an electric engine.
Reason why BMW became popular is because just because of its brand but its legendary revolutionary engines which is true until today.
Come on now, gas and electric engines are not going to be the same, ever.
A spell corrector is only as good as the person who should be proof-reading what they write.

True, the Model S is the first mainstream product from Tesla. Though they've been around for years with the Roadster, which gave them plenty of R&D experience.

I don't buy BMWs because of the antiquated internal combustion engine. I buy BMWs because I like the way that they look and the way that they drive. Every report I've read says that the Model S hangs out with the likes of the Panamera and everything else the Germans make. Plus, subjective though it may be, I think the Model S is gorgeous.

Regarding that engine; given a choice between a mechanically complex and inefficient combustion engine and an electric that provides power and efficiency and a forward look to the future, I'd take the Model S in a heartbeat! The ONLY thing stopping me at this very moment is I don't have $5K to put down as a deposit, and I can't afford the $90K my "dream" Tesla would sticker at.

Oh, and electric is the future. Sure, it's in the infancy stage now, but without those willing to accept and try the new tech, manufacturers won't be able to improve upon future models. Soon, all cars will be electric: Either battery with fast recharge stations such as Tesla's Superchargers, or with on-board generators... which may start off as ICE, but will eventually be replaced by fuel cells or some other power generating source. Two generations from now, kids will be flabbergasted at the fact that we actually burned fossil fuel in combustion engines at the turn of the century!

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 03-26-2013, 07:40 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr5959 View Post

Ditto. This is an exciting car, from my POV. I have a short commute so 200 miles is more than I tend to put on my car in a 1 week span, including all around town driving.

I've had 4 BMWs and all 4 have had issues from the factory. So it's really easy for me to look at something that might be unreliable... that's what it's like to have a BMW anyway,
Old 03-26-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
A spell corrector is only as good as the person who should be proof-reading what they write.

True, the Model S is the first mainstream product from Tesla. Though they've been around for years with the Roadster, which gave them plenty of R&D experience.

I don't buy BMWs because of the antiquated internal combustion engine. I buy BMWs because I like the way that they look and the way that they drive. Every report I've read says that the Model S hangs out with the likes of the Panamera and everything else the Germans make. Plus, subjective though it may be, I think the Model S is gorgeous.

Regarding that engine; given a choice between a mechanically complex and inefficient combustion engine and an electric that provides power and efficiency and a forward look to the future, I'd take the Model S in a heartbeat! The ONLY thing stopping me at this very moment is I don't have $5K to put down as a deposit, and I can't afford the $90K my "dream" Tesla would sticker at.

Oh, and electric is the future. Sure, it's in the infancy stage now, but without those willing to accept and try the new tech, manufacturers won't be able to improve upon future models. Soon, all cars will be electric: Either battery with fast recharge stations such as Tesla's Superchargers, or with on-board generators... which may start off as ICE, but will eventually be replaced by fuel cells or some other power generating source. Two generations from now, kids will be flabbergasted at the fact that we actually burned fossil fuel in combustion engines at the turn of the century!
+ one million.