Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Lexus GS350 is Better?

I know it's been discussed multiple times. I test drove G350 F-sport last weekend. I just want to give my take on this.

DRIVE TRAIN (BMW win)
Their 6-speed transmission is ancient old compared to BMW 8 speed. When I drove on Freeway, it seems to struggle to find the right spot. Some times it revs too high, sometimes too low. The 6 speed shift speed is also slower. The 305 hp engine feels slow especially on lower rpm. It just does not have the low-end TQ as N55. The sound isn't as good as BMW inline 6 too. No contest here.

EXTERIOR(BMW win)
I know this is subjective. But, Lexus ext design does not feel like a luxurious car. It's to be aggressive on the front and very soft at the rear. My friend said "very Camryish."

INTERIOR (Tie)
I think F10 and GS have the best interior quality in its class. MB, Infiniti, Acura and Audi need to step up.
Pros:
  • Their standard leather is better than BMW Dakota leather.
  • I love their contrast stitching on the dash board
  • Their steering design is better than F10 steering wheel. F10 steering is too big in diameter.
  • They have side bolsters. Come one BMW, bring these back to the States.

Cons:
  • The seats look cheap compared to F10 comfort seat. It's too small and thin.
  • The "mouse" interface is not as intuitive as iDrive
  • The big screen and bright interface is too gimmicky for me

STEERING WHEEL (BMW win)
If BMW steering feel is dead, Lexus steering has been dead for ages. It has no feel what so ever. The weight also feels artificial and too light. Both car have very bad steering feel, but BMW's is less bad.

CHASSIS & HANDLING (Lexus schools BMW)
This is where Lexus feels 100% better F10. This car is about 250-300 lbs lighter than BMW. And, it feels like one. It's very nimble and has less body roll. And, surprisingly, it rides better than F10 too (due to non-RFT tires). BMW needs to bring E39/E60 chassis back and ditch the stupid RFT.

VERDICT
Put GS chassis and weight into F10. We will get almost a "perfect" car.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
The GS has always been close to a 5 series. So is Audi and Mercedes.

It comes down to preference, as with any car it is a give and take.

No one will ever win across the board in all categories.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
The GS has always been close to a 5 series. So is Audi and Mercedes.

It comes down to preference, as with any car it is a give and take.

No one will ever win across the board in all categories.
Back in E39/E46 era. I think BMW won across all categories. That's why their cars used to win almost every comparison test.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
When motortrend tested both the 535i and GS350 along with the M37 and A6, the 535i weighed in at 4007lbs and GS350 weighed in at 3834lbs. That's a 173lb difference, much less than the 250-300lb listed weight difference. I believe I've seen similar numbers on Edmunds. It seems like the germans consistently understate (in the case of weight, more is less) and the Japanese always tend to overstate. We see this with HP/TQ ratings too.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...s/viewall.html

Last edited by tim330i; 04-03-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
Back in E39/E46 era. I think BMW won across all categories. That's why their cars used to win almost every comparison test.
Not reliability

I test drove the new GS350 last year and the interior was nice, but no better than the F10 and the A6. The GS's handling is as good as the A6 and both cars handle better than the F10. To tell you the truth, if handling was my top priority, I would not have bought the F10. Lucky for me, handling is not my top priority, hence the F10 in my driveway.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
Unless something changed when they came out with the new GS, I disagree with you on engine performance. I had a 2010 and it performed better than the F10 535. Did you check to see what mode you were in? It has an Eco, Sport and Rain or Snow (not sure anymore) modes that make a difference in throttle response.

Lexus gets major points on engine performance because there is not hitch in it's gettalong like BMWs are now famous for.

Other than that I have no issue with your write up as I have not driven the new GS. Was it an F-Sport?
2013 BMW 1600 GT---2011 Kawasaki Ninja 1000---2012 Ducati Panigale
Old 03-25-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Not in reliability, fuel consumption, nor build quality.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Unless something changed when they came out with the new GS, I disagree with you on engine performance. I had a 2010 and it performed better than the F10 535. Did you check to see what mode you were in? It has an Eco, Sport and Rain or Snow (not sure anymore) modes that make a difference in throttle response.

Lexus gets major points on engine performance because there is not hitch in it's gettalong like BMWs are now famous for.

Other than that I have no issue with your write up as I have not driven the new GS. Was it an F-Sport?
Yes, it was the F-sport. I have maxed out the mode to sport+.

F10 N55 has about 310-320 hp (on Dyno, because BWM understated it) and 10% more TQ. The TQ peaks at lower rpm. I think that makes a difference. The faster shifting also makes F10 feels faster on the straight freeway.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, it was the F-sport. I have maxed out the mode to sport+.

F10 N55 has about 310-320 hp (on Dyno, because BWM understated it) and 10% more TQ. The TQ peaks at lower rpm. I think that makes a difference. The faster shifting also makes F10 feels faster on the straight freeway.
I'm very familiar with all the specs - the F10 loses to the GS350 in all tests - weight is the enemy! I admit they are close, but no way did my GS feel slower. I'll have to go drive a new GS sometime to see if something has changed. I promise you that my 2010 GS felt noticably faster than the 535 I have driven, and drive ability of the GS was much better.

Here is a link to a road test of both cars. You can see that in real world the BMW has a very slight advantage of the line, then the GS pulls away from it slightly. But for all practical purposes they are dead even.

Last edited by jjsC6; 03-25-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I'm very familiar with all the specs - the F10 loses to the GS350 in all tests - weight is the enemy! I admit they are close, but no way did my GS feel slower. I'll have to go drive a new GS sometime to see if something has changed. I promise you that my 2010 GS felt noticably faster than the 535 I have driven, and drive ability of the GS was much better.

Here is a link to a road test of both cars. You can see that in real world the BMW has a very slight advantage of the line, then the GS pulls away from it slightly. But for all practical purposes they are dead even.

Yes, I am aware GS is faster or dead even on straight line based on paper. Both do 5.5-5.7 sec 0-60 I think.

But, during the test drive, I could only revved it above 4500 rpm once. The sales kept bi*tching not to rev it. Totally different test drive experience compared to BMW dealer.

Below 4500 rpm, GS would feel slower due to less TQ and less responsive transmission down shift. Again, this is based on butt dyno.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM
Chitown traveller

Mein Auto: 535i X-Drive
I test drove the F-Sport, and an A6(prestige sport and non-sport) before settling for my non-sport 535xi. I liked the Lexus very much but it had two deal breakers: front end styling. and rear seat reading lights. Was astonished how cheap looking the reading lights were and they are on the side and not the center like all other cars I've had before. Granted I would RARELY have folks in the back but it plainly showed the cheaper parts bin roots of the car which I cant accept for a $60K+ auto.

Other stuff that bugged me: Resolution of Nav screen, mouse controller, no folding rear seat, plastic trim on bottom of steering wheel.

Things I loved: Leather dash, seats!, steering wheel rim.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
How timely ? I receive this propaganda the other day :

In an intense series of tests pitting the GS F SPORT against the BMW 535i M, the GS had better overall handling performance in head-to-head slalom, 180-degree cornering and an evasive action challenge [1]. The performance in these tests was based on speed and precision. Watch these three exciting videos to see Lexus win.

WATCH IT HERE

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-03-25 at 6.42.51 PM.jpg
Views:	1167
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	368158  
Old 03-25-2013, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 08 535i
I just drove the GS 350 F Sport, 2013 535i M Sport and 550i M Sport this past weekend all on Sport + mode and Normal Mode.

BMW 535i on Normal Mode feels more luxurious. However the G350 F Sport on Sport + was quicker, felt more nimble and had absolutely no lag when taking off. I also took it around a great curve at 80mph and it hugged the road. The 550 blew them both out of the water with sheer power.
I like the front end styling and the interior seats are more comfy and the styling is sportier than the BMW's.

/*Previous Rides*/

04-911 ~ 40th Anniversary Edition
99 - BMW 323i
97 - Jetta 1.8T
93 - Jeep Wrangler
Old 03-25-2013, 06:26 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
I test drove the new GS several months ago before deciding (again) on a 5 series.

Deal breaker for me: the terrible mouse-like controller that required significant concentration and eyes-off-road to use while driving.

Other issues I had with it that soured the experience: push button temperature controls, color saturated main screen user interface, lack of low end torque, lack of a planted feel at high speed around my usual test corner, some minor usability issues such as having to push the turn signal lever in the opposite direction to turn off the turn signal.

Things I liked: the freaking awesome analog clock, the look of the steering wheel, the engine and exhaust note, the interior was generally nice but not as nice as the F10.

I appreciated the exterior styling for being a good effort by Lexus. The car didn't feel like it had as much power, probably because of lack of low end torque. Generally I felt the car was a step in the right direction, but not for me.

See, when the Government spends money, it creates jobs; whereas when the money is left in the hands of Taxpayers, God only knows what they do with it. Bake it into pies, probably. Anything to avoid creating jobs. - Dave Barry
Old 03-25-2013, 07:11 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:

Edmunds tests, aren't so clear cut.

2013 GS F Sport vs 2011 535 DHP
0-60 5.8 vs 5.7 - 535 wins
1/4 mile 14.1 vs 14.1 - Tie
60-0 112 vs 118 - GS F Sport wins
Slalom 69.7 vs 64.5 GS F Sport wins
Skidpad 0.88 vs 0.88 - Tie

Looking a the detailed set-up, the 535 had GoodYear Excellence Grand Touring tires while the GS F has Max Performance Dunlop Sport Maxx 050. So a decent set of tires would have helped the 535. The '13s have the new MSport suspension which should improve the 535's handling numbers.

http://www.edmunds.com/audi/a6/2012/...ison-test.html

http://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-350/...est-specs.html

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Good reviews here.

In my opinion BMW 5 Series wins comparison for looks/inside and out; better gas mileage; luxury drive; more inside space; like the way it handles better.

Lexus: Navigation- I'm surprised the BMW owners don't mention that here. It sucks compared to the Lexus. BMW needs to use a different vendor for Nav. Mark Levinson sounds better than Premium sound. You'd have to add the $4500 B&O system to surpass the ML sound. Reliability- BMW needs to seriously improve in this area.

I have a BMW and am taking time to learn the electronics of the X3 we own. Probably will buy 5 Series over F-Sport because I like BMW more and don't want to learn yet another's company's electronic quirks.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
How timely ? I receive this propaganda the other day :
I saw a similiar ad in R&T and was curious about the Independent Tests conducted by AMCI. It turns out AMCI is a marketing firm that conducts tests to show your car in its best light. I wonder if the 535 in their tests had DHP. At least I know why they picked a '12 535 MSport vs '13 535 MSport.

Quote:

Testing

AMCI's unique testing programs help the world's automakers better understand their customer, their competition and the marketplace. Our methods are so scientific and our results so reliable, they are literally the industry standard - and have made AMCI the official testing company for J.D. Power. In over 20 years, not one claim bearing our name has ever been retracted due to legal challenge.

Our testing services begin with the objective Comparative Vehicle Assessment (CVA), during which a manufacture's car or truck is objectively analyzed alongside its competition. Superiorities uncovered during the CVA can then be turned into indisputable marketing advantages through Advertising Claim Certification, substantiated by AMCI's proprietary methodology.

Advertising Claim Certification

When you stake your brand's reputation on a competitive claim, it has to be true, and it has to be absolutely defensible. AMCI testing precision and methodology are backed by a track record of success stretching back over 20 years. In that time, we have certified hundreds of comparative claims for dozens of manufacturers - and not one has ever been retracted due to litigation. Should one of our claims be challenged, we offer turn-key counsel if legal action is ever taken regarding an AMCI-certified claim.
Anyone ever hear of MT, C&D, or R&T need to make a claim that haven't been sued, but just in case, they will sell you some expert legal counsel services.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)

Last edited by dunderhi; 03-25-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: German
Here we go again

The GS has a better chassis and interior than the F10, but is completely lack down by the pathetic drivetrain options and exterior design. The GS is a fantastic step for Lexus in the right direction. Now if only Lexus gets serious and puts a real engine under the hood (i.e. forced induction)
Old 03-25-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Good reviews here.

In my opinion BMW 5 Series wins comparison for looks/inside and out; better gas mileage; luxury drive; more inside space; like the way it handles better.

Lexus: Navigation- I'm surprised the BMW owners don't mention that here. It sucks compared to the Lexus. BMW needs to use a different vendor for Nav. Mark Levinson sounds better than Premium sound. You'd have to add the $4500 B&O system to surpass the ML sound. Reliability- BMW needs to seriously improve in this area.

I have a BMW and am taking time to learn the electronics of the X3 we own. Probably will buy 5 Series over F-Sport because I like BMW more and don't want to learn yet another's company's electronic quirks.
I disagree on the stereo. My Lexus had the ML. I have had a few highly rated car stereos and I find that there are pros and cons. The ML had very good clarity, good but not great imaging, and very "detailed" sound (meaning you really hear every instrument). Bass response sucked badly though and overall I think the BMW premium just has a more solid overall sound.

I'm okay that not everyone agrees because folks have different tastes in sound, but I prefer the BMW Premium. The undeniable advantage to the BMW (F10) is how solid and QUIET the car is. That makes the stereo stand out.

In general the BMW has a solidness and quietness that blows away every car I have driven or ridden in - including a few Mercedes, although I have not been in an "S" class.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Y'all go out and buy Lexus that way there will be less BMW around. Don't you just love their new face? I looks rather familiar....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LexusPredator.jpg
Views:	1567
Size:	118.7 KB
ID:	368221  
Untitled[/url] 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member
Old 03-25-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I disagree on the stereo. My Lexus had the ML. I have had a few highly rated car stereos and I find that there are pros and cons. The ML had very good clarity, good but not great imaging, and very "detailed" sound (meaning you really hear every instrument). Bass response sucked badly though and overall I think the BMW premium just has a more solid overall sound.

I'm okay that not everyone agrees because folks have different tastes in sound, but I prefer the BMW Premium. The undeniable advantage to the BMW (F10) is how solid and QUIET the car is. That makes the stereo stand out.

In general the BMW has a solidness and quietness that blows away every car I have driven or ridden in - including a few Mercedes, although I have not been in an "S" class.
New Lexus has upgraded ML sound system.

I agree with all your other comments. S Class is an unfair comparison because it costs so much more than a 528 or 535. S350 has a starting price of $93K.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i M-Sport
Quote:

Yes the S and CL (both built on the same platform...changing names to the S Coupe in 2014) class are unfair comparisons. You will never find a quieter car. My CL had a double layer of class and lots of sound proofing materials. Those cars are double and some triple the price of these. CL 500 $115,000, CL 600 $160,300, CL 63 AMG $153,000, and CL 65 $213,200

Although BMW's Bang and Olfsen's sound system is amazing! Much better than the system in my CL
Untitled[/url] 550i M Sport|300|LCSW|4MR|2TB|704|760|PDC|ZEC|6F2|ZDA|5AD |416|494|Dinan Stage 2|CF Spoiler,MirrorCaps&Splitter|M Performance Diffuser|Front Reflector Delete|Black Grilles|Rear Fog Lights|Euro Side Mirrors&Tail Lights|M5 Front & M550D Rear Sway Bars|20" HB04|Roof Wrapped|Coded|CCA member
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
Y'all go out and buy Lexus that way there will be less BMW around. Don't you just love their new face? I looks rather familiar....
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausdude View Post
Yes the S and CL (both built on the same platform...changing names to the S Coupe in 2014) class are unfair comparisons. You will never find a quieter car. My CL had a double layer of class and lots of sound proofing materials. Those cars are double and some triple the price of these. CL 500 $115,000, CL 600 $160,300, CL 63 AMG $153,000, and CL 65 $213,200

Although BMW's Bang and Olfsen's sound system is amazing! Much better than the system in my CL
B&O is a great deal of money for an upgraded sound system in a car. But, I've never heard a better sound system direct from a car manufacturer- ever! $3700 in 550, but comes with HUD, Satellite Radio, Power Tailgate and a couple of other items. In the 550 it's actually a bargain the more I think of it as a percentage of the total price. It would cost thousands more to achieve the B&O high fidelity with an aftermarket sound system. Even at $4500 in the 528 or 535 I'll be very tempted

Woops, getting off topic here. My apologies.

Last edited by Bmwlvr60; 03-25-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
Good reviews here.

Oh yeah Without even testing, I'm sure Lexus nav is better than our F10's. Our 2011 nav is the worst nav I've ever used.