Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-25-2013, 04:43 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
Just tried sport mode for the 1st time

Holy crap I would never think the difference would be so noticeable. This was the 1st time I switched to sport mode (have not driven the car a lot, still have the Mercedes) and I am not used to feeling a pronounced difference like that. In the Mercedes it was all mental I never really felt anything but when I was driving around 40mph today then switch to sport it felt like a little nitrous shot it was great and for the rest of the drive the acceleration was excellent. Never had this on the Mercedes which is a shame but is a great feature to have now.
Ads by Google
Old 03-25-2013, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535Xi M Sport
Nice!!!! Can't wait, mine is on the boat headed to NY as we speak. Ship should dock on the 27th..
Old 03-25-2013, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
I only drive mine in sport mode! That's the way normal mode should have been on the Msport cars imo...

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 03-25-2013, 06:03 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post
I only drive mine in sport mode! That's the way normal mode should have been on the Msport cars imo...

Alan
Its all because they need to post better mpg statistics, in my opinion.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
I think it's fantastic to have all the options of driving styles bimmer's offer.

New Acura RLX FWD placed in Sports mode- offers very little difference.

New Cadillac ATS- ditto.

X3 growls out loud when placed in Sport mode. With DHP the growl is even louder.

Looking to buy 5 Series to replace my RL, that's why I'm here. :-)
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
Its all because they need to post better mpg statistics, in my opinion.
I think you are right. That explains why I only average 14-16mpg with mostly local driving. My car almost never goes into the 8th gear because in sport mode it doesn't allow it unless you are going way way fast. I've tried driving in Eco mode and in 8th gear..... the car was so unresponsive and slow I just couldn't stand it. Better off flooring a civic around if I wanted to save gas...

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 PM

Mein Auto: 530xi
Nice, waiting for mine to board a ship, can't wait to try sport mode.. Alan, no need for me to tell you but your car is absolutely sick looking! Great job all around..
Old 03-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I agree with everybody on this issue. The sport mode truly changes the entire personality of the car. I do drive in "snoozer" mode on long trips to save gas, but around town I find the sport mode justifies the cost of the car. Just the change in steering feel makes it worth it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Don't you guys feel that it holds the gear a tad too long in the S mode? That is my only gripe about it and the reason why I mostly drive in D even though I am not a granny by any stretch of imagination....
Old 03-25-2013, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan L. View Post

Alan
Hahaha same here. I get 15-16 mpg
Old 03-26-2013, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport MT
Driving exclusively in Sport mode for the last 10 days, I'm getting 12 - 13 mpg! I hope it will improve after break-in. I put 600 mi on it so far.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Don't you guys feel that it holds the gear a tad too long in the S mode? That is my only gripe about it and the reason why I mostly drive in D even though I am not a granny by any stretch of imagination....
I agree, however, that's where the paddle shifters come handy...
Going late versus early is better. If it was early, it would be annoying and effect performance for the worse.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:04 AM

I actually don't think it holds gears too long in Sport mode. When i have it in Sport mode AND the the trans in S mode then i find the gears hold a tad too long but that was the intention. I'm usually in Sport mode 99.9% of the time and Sport/Trans Sport occasionally when i really want to have some fun and don't give a crap about mpg at all.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:43 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Amazing isn't it. It's a whole different car like that. Keeps things very fun and interesting.

That is the first thing that made me realize how much more serious and on-point BMW is than Mercedes. M-B's "Sport Mode" is a joke, a gimmick, along with their slow-acting cheapy plastic paddles. The Sport Mode on the F10 changes so much, shows true focus on driving dynamics toward the car (between all the various different settings), makes things fun, interesting, passionate. Sometimes I put my car in DS and S and then shift with the paddles or shifter, which with a BMW allows you to TRULY do so with no computer interruptions.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi799 View Post
Yes I do. That's the only reason I'm not in Sport 100% of the time. It holds unreasonably long sometimes and I feel around town would put unnecessary wear on the motor (which is probably moot since I'm sure these motors are built to be just as durable under high RPM loads than lower.... at least I'd hope) and wastes a LOT more gas. I appreciate BMW again for making this a TRUE gear-heads Sport Mode, with higher RPM's revving galore, however I wish it was more intelligent to understand when to shift early and when not to.

That's why I use the paddles to control my shifts in Sport Mode. However, it would be nice to be able to kick back, relax and let Sport Mode control itself for me in the ways I'd like. Though, when you're used to being in Sport, you stop noticing how long it holds gears and it feels more "normal", until you see your MPG calculator, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeS View Post
Going late versus early is better. If it was early, it would be annoying and effect performance for the worse.
Can you explain what you mean? You mean it's worse for the car to shift early than hold RPM's and shift late? Especially curious since when I control my own shifts via the paddles I shift pretty early to presumedly save gas.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:41 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Sport mode just feels so good, turbos whining, them value flaps opened, it just overall makes the driver feels so special
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM

Mein Auto: F10
The issue is we drive casual in normal the system learns how we drive in it then we go to sport+ and 90% of the time in that gear we drive more aggressive.

Therefore an mpg comparison is not apples and apples. The late shift is the system remembering how you drove in comfort. That will take care of itself.

Question: I prefer the tighter suspension and tighter steering be on all the time, but like to save gas when I'm not tooling around. I set sport mode to only adjust the steering and suspension not the advanced throttle etc. I use Sport+ for aggressive driving.

Do you guys find a difference in suspension and steering (not throttle) between sport and sport+ ??
Old 03-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
Can you explain what you mean? You mean it's worse for the car to shift early than hold RPM's and shift late? Especially curious since when I control my own shifts via the paddles I shift pretty early to presumedly save gas.
No, I did not mean worse for the car, I meant performance. For example, in Eco mode the car shifts early...trying to get to the highest gear for fuel efficiency. This will make the car feel sluggish and not very responsive. In sport mode, it's going for maximum torque, and maintaining high torque so the car is very responsive. However, there are many times the torque isn't required and can hinder acceleration slightly in certain situations. This is where you can intervene manually with the paddle shifters. A good example is accelerating on a decline from a dead stop. Another example is when your at speed, and high torque isn't needed, you can back off to a higher gear until your ready to make a move and downshift. Once you get the hang of it, it's a lot of fun. This is exactly how "sport" should be. The car is giving you everything its got and you mitigate it as desired to optimize overall performance. Hopefully, this made sense.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Dark Knight

Thanks for explaining, got it. It's fun to go from Eco to Sport as it seriously feels like a different vehicle. Love how BMW actually ENGINEERS their different "Modes" rather than uses them as marketing ploy/gimmicks like most other manufacturers. It was unreal to me when I figured out that in DS when the paddles are activated, the car TRULY let's you shift it like a Manual, i.e no intervening unless it really needs to step in. Made me feel like I was in a car from a brand who takes performance and fun-driving seriously. It's the little things that can sometimes truly do that.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM
Mr Real Estate

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 535i Xdrive
Yeah I was playing with sport mode again today I really like it. I hardly go on the highway so I don't plan to really get on the car for another month after its broken in and when I'm on the highway then ill see what this car can do. Right now I hardly go over 2500rpms.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 03-27-2013, 11:15 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
I too way giving it another chance today and while the responsiveness is stunning (especially when paired with that nice torque really low in the rpm band), it just pissed the heck out of me when, following a more aggressive acceleration in the second or third, the car gets stuck in the last gear at 5k rpm and stubbornly won't up-shift despite very clear signs from me (foot off the gas). It will stay there for 2 seconds or so - way too long - to which I sometimes respond by up-shifting manually. It's a bad solution thought as it then stays in the manual mode.

So, yes, it holds the gear waaay too long sometimes, usually after a more aggressive run through the gears. This is precisely why I have never ended up using this mode beyond those few trial runs.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550xi M Sport
The Sport mode was probably the biggest selling point in my test drive. I was driving the 550i around and it felt nice, beautiful ride, ect. when all of a sudden at a stop light the rep reached over and hit the sport mode button and said "Now, let's have some fun."

It is a completely different car, and pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It's like a mini "M Button"
Old 03-28-2013, 10:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
For most of my around town driving, i'm comfort mode. On the highway i drive in sport has it seems to help with crosswinds. Once in a while i'll go into sport. I have sport configured to adjust the engine and transmission. However with the drive selector, I'll move to DS mode. This enhances the Sport mode. Starts to turn the car into more of a beast.

The 550 (and 535) for that matter like the DS mode. The 535 is pretty quick in normal mode but is more ambitious in DS mode. My E Classes, all E350's (1 W211 and 2 W212) of course had a much smaller engine than the 550, but the 550 is a heck of a lot more fun than the E's.

I'd rather have my BMW 550 over an E550. For one thing, I know the quality is much, much better.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528i XDrive (F10)
I drive it on sport all the time. I am trying to find a way to code it to turn on sport mode by default. Has anyone tried that? Is it possible to code it for this reason?

2012 528i XDrive, Alpine White
Old 03-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Dark Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
For most of my around town driving, i'm comfort mode. On the highway i drive in sport has it seems to help with crosswinds. Once in a while i'll go into sport. I have sport configured to adjust the engine and transmission. However with the drive selector, I'll move to DS mode. This enhances the Sport mode. Starts to turn the car into more of a beast.

The 550 (and 535) for that matter like the DS mode. The 535 is pretty quick in normal mode but is more ambitious in DS mode. My E Classes, all E350's (1 W211 and 2 W212) of course had a much smaller engine than the 550, but the 550 is a heck of a lot more fun than the E's.

I'd rather have my BMW 550 over an E550. For one thing, I know the quality is much, much better.
I recently realized I answered one of my own threads questions. I had wondered if DS and S were redundant in terms of how they affected gearing and shifting. Well, when you have it in S, it certainly shifts more aggressively and holds RPM's longer.... but when you have it in S and then put it in DS it goes CRAZY. It holds revs insanely high and practically wants to redline through every gear. I've yet to find a reason to use both at the same time on purpose, but it's EXTRA cool that not only does BMW give you a TRULY engineered Sport button (and not a Marketed one like about every other manufacturer), but they EVEN give you a "SUPER SPORTS BUTTON" when you add DS to it. Though I wish they allowed us 2013'ers a chance to tame the revs, it's great to see BMW's performance roots will well engrained in this car.