Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Loud whistling/ whirring noise

Ok, I can't figure this one out. I have done many searches and can't find an exact match for the issue I'm having. The wife's 08 328i randomly makes an extremely loud whistling noise that I can best describe as a teapot whistle that is amplified a thousand times. We bought the car about 2.5 yrs ago and it has only done it about 3 or 4 times. It is so loud that people at the light or stores off the street staring like crazy. It doesn't matter if we are moving or sitting still, the noise is at the same level. However, if you turn the car off and restart, the noise is immediately gone and won't happen again for like 6 months. Anyone else have this issue?
Ads by Google
Old 03-25-2013, 08:24 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Could it be a slipping accessory belt? Otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:50 PM
Better with Butter

Or possibly the bearings in your belt tensioners?

Old 03-25-2013, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 335i
can you give a a better description of where the noise is coming from? maybe pop the hood and look around while you hear it? I wouldn't think belt tension-er bearing just due to the lack of consistency with the noise; usually when bearings start to fail they make noise all the time, then just die.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Galahad05, it is definitely not the belts or tensioners because the noise remains at the same level when you rev the engine.

Marine24, the one time I was able to get out and search under the hood, the noise seemed to be loudest from under the front passenger side wheel well. The only thing I can figure that might be near there is maybe the cats, but I'm not sure. However, I am not getting any check engine lights and the car runs perfectly fine. This happens so sporadically that I have not been able to get a video recording with my phone to take to the dealer. But, when it does happen, it is so embarassing because it is so loud.

The last time it did it with my wife, she was at a red light and heard it. She went to put the car in park so she could shut it off and restart the car and it began to shake and jerk when she put it into park. She stated it felt like the car was not getting gas, however, again no check engine lights or anything. She restarted and everything was back to normal.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARVSGT View Post
The last time it did it with my wife, she was at a red light and heard it. She went to put the car in park so she could shut it off and restart the car and it began to shake and jerk when she put it into park. She stated it felt like the car was not getting gas, however, again no check engine lights or anything. She restarted and everything was back to normal.

Not fer nothin' and, who would ever do this?

But maybe perhaps you should read codes....nope, Autozone just won't do....
Old 03-26-2013, 05:21 PM

She had just pulled up to the light and it takes like 5 seconds to hit the button to turn it off and hit the button again to restart. The light usually lasts like a minute.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:57 PM

shaking and jerking when you put it into park makes me want to say the torque converter; but I think I'm seeing this from an older tech point of view. I don't know for sure if these cars have the same type of torque converter that they used to use, plus the lack of consistency is still an issue. What year is the car, and how many miles on it?
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 PM

maybe the a/c compressor clutch is going out? Honestly i'm just shooting into the dark at this point...
Old 03-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Better with Butter

You REALLY need to read the BMW codes from the computer. The thing threw a check engine light, right? There will be codes stored away.

EDIT: I re-read the original post(s)--I guess there were no CELs. Still, the computer could have logged a number of incidents that didn't cause it to throw a light.

Last edited by galahad05; 03-26-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 bmw 328i
had the same exact problem. no cel light. happened once in a while. the problem was the eccentric shaft sensor. the sensor is about $400 and $200 to $400 labor depends how much the shop will charge you. i suggest dont drive it, it may cause more problems. its a common problem with the sensor.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:52 PM

Everyone, thanks for all the replies. I will do some research on the eccentric shaft sensor and see if thats the problem and also check with BMW to see if they can pull anything off the computer. Other than that, I'm lost on this one.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i
I'm not sure if we're going through the exact same noise but it sounds like I have a similar problem with my 335i. However, it happens much more frequently for me than every 6 months. I also can't recreate it every time but noticed it happens only within acceleration of 0-35mph. I've read everything from it being related to the e-brake/e-brake shoe all the way to it being related to the turbo.

However, I don't have the shake and jerk when it comes to putting it in park or have any problems with feeling like the car wasn't getting gas. Though, I don't have any check engine lights or anything here either.

Unfortunately, I also have people look over when it starts "whistling" like that. I would like to bring it to the dealer but don't want to if I can't have them replicate it. Hope you can find the answer and keep me posted!

Last edited by SlickAsCanBe; 03-28-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 bmw 328i
check out this link. if this is the symptoms , then the problem is the oil separator. for e90 with aluminum valve cover, the oil separator is
replaceable by itself. with the plastic valve cover, the oil separator is incorporated with the valve cover. means you have to replace the valve cover assembly. around $400 to $450. hope this helps.

Last edited by dencio222; 03-29-2013 at 07:27 PM.