Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-25-2013, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: Suburban
Trying to decide between BMW 328, Audi A4 and Cadillac ATS

My new job requires me to drive about 90 miles roundtrip each day and my relatively new Suburban's fuel economy is killing me. I'm handing to Burban off to my wife, as she hauls the kids the most, I'm going to move to a new sporty sedan. The cars in the title are at the top of my list, but I'm having a tough time deciding between them. I though checking in here made sense.

I'm looking for the following: a) great highway fuel economy (real world, not gamed EPA #s), b) very sporty handling balanced with a smooth highway ride and c) a decent size back seat so I can fit my relatively tall 6' relatives, at least for short trips around town. Also, I love golf, so fitting clubs in the trunk would be key. How do you 3-series owners feel it compares to the others in this respect? I've heard good things about the new 328's twin-turbo engine.

Last edited by jlused; 03-25-2013 at 08:28 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-25-2013, 08:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
if its fuel economy you want thats easy. 328. done.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:08 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlused View Post
My new job requires me to drive about 90 miles roundtrip each day and my relatively new Suburban's fuel economy is killing me. As she hauls the kids the most, I'm going to move to a new sporty sedan. The cars in the title are at the top of my list, but I'm having a tough time deciding between them. I though checking in here made sense.

I'm looking for the following: a) great highway fuel economy (real world, not gamed EPA #s), b) very sporty handling balanced with a smooth highway ride and c) a decent size back seat so I can fit my relatively tall 6' relatives, at least for short trips around town. Also, I love golf, so fitting clubs in the trunk would be key. How do you 3-series owners feel it compares to the others in this respect? I've heard good thinks about the new 328's twin-turbo engine.
First off, welcome aboard.

Because this is a BMW forum, you're going to hear a lot of pro-BMW arguments. And while you'll think they are contrived they actually are not. Many of us had to choose between the three cars you mentioned and we all wound up in the 3 Series.

On your four callouts (fuel, balanced handling, back seat size, trunk size) BMW wins. Fuel is statistical fact. The handling is so good you can flick a switch and change the suspension from Sport to Comfort, adjusts the dampers, springs, the works, like two cars in one. Trunk and back seat, BMW is terrific, all are within fractions of each other.

Regarding the 328i's 4 cylinder turbo, I was very skeptical and was ready to get the 335i and the 6 cylinder. It just didn't feel right to me that a BMW on a 4 cylinder engine was going to work, and all of my 4 cylinder experiences prior were awful, no power, no burst, nothing. All it took was the first 60 seconds of my test drive to realize how wrong I was. The engine is extremely quick, the transmission is perfect, and you wouldn't know it was a 4 cylinder unless you looked. BMW did an awesome job on it.

Very importantly, BMW has a warranty that is the best in the business. You pay for nothing. BMW covers oil changes, wiper blades, you name it. If you can't lease due to mileage, the warranty is definitely going to be a gamechanger for you. At 22,000 miles per year, you want the BMW for peace-of-mind on potential repairs. Compare it to the others, you'll see.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 03-25-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
you wouldn't know it was a 4 cylinder unless you looked. BMW did an awesome job on it.
Or heard it.....
Old 03-25-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 328
Hey there!

I actually just picked up a new F30 about two weeks ago, which I settled on after much debate/research/showroom scouting. I have a fairly long highway commute. I've seen 37 - 38 mpg over a tankful that was 90%+ highway with speeds of ~70 mph. I find the ride and handling to be just fine, although I can't say I've used the back seat for anything besides a computer bag! I looked at the A4 as well, but I found the design a little dated, didn't consider the Cadillac.

A friend of mine was also shopping for cars recently - well pickup trucks actually - and used a personalized car advice service called Car Match (think the address was www.carmatcher.com). I believe he got some good insights. That being said, you can also do the research yourself, like I did. May be worth checking out.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Quote:
My new job requires me to drive about 90 miles roundtrip each day and my relatively new Suburban's fuel economy is killing me. As she hauls the kids the most, I'm going to move to a new sporty sedan. The cars in the title are at the top of my list, but I'm having a tough time deciding between them. I though checking in here made sense.

I'm looking for the following: a) great highway fuel economy (real world, not gamed EPA #s), b) very sporty handling balanced with a smooth highway ride and c) a decent size back seat so I can fit my relatively tall 6' relatives, at least for short trips around town. Also, I love golf, so fitting clubs in the trunk would be key. How do you 3-series owners feel it compares to the others in this respect? I've heard good thinks about the new 328's twin-turbo engine.
The 328 has the best mpg. ATS and A4 can't compare in the handling department. ATS does have a a larger back seat. Clubs fit nicely- even parallel to the rear axle in the 328; ATS does have larger trunk.

I just test drove the ATS 2 weeks ago: Cadillac has done a nice job trying to come out with a sporty handling car, but it's not as sporty as the A4 and not even close to the 328.

328 wins!
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: Suburban
Thanks everyone, this is great feedback.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
I just picked up my car a week ago, and I'm loving it. So I say go with the 328.

But there might be some folks on here that might recommend the Audi. I like the CTS a lot. I'm not a fan of the ATS however...
Old 03-25-2013, 09:46 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
as much as it pains me focus fusion honda those types of cars
Old 03-25-2013, 09:54 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I hate to say this .... BUT it's a work car.... a Toyota Camry will keep you on the road 99.9% of the time....

you need something boring but reliable
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 03-25-2013, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverX3 View Post
I hate to say this .... BUT it's a work car.... a Toyota Camry will keep you on the road 99.9% of the time....

great car for this type of driving
Old 03-25-2013, 11:17 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Test driving is key, because you are tall and going to be mostly spending alot of time in the car commuting to work
Old 03-26-2013, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
90 miles a day = 150km a day

250 working days a year = 37,500km

plus weekends driving = 40,000km a year

a BMW wont' last..... will cost you lots of $ to maintain that driving

german cars are not built for daily long distance driving

Japanese and Korean cars are for that
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car

Last edited by SilverX3; 03-26-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is if I'm driving that much, I better have a car I like. Plus, the Toyota Camry will get just as beat up, the difference is that you won't care.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Got Roundel?

Mein Auto: F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is if I'm driving that much, I better have a car I like. Plus, the Toyota Camry will get just as beat up, the difference is that you won't care.
I agree! If you drive that much you better enjoy what you drive.
2011 335i coupe (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 03-26-2013, 05:49 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
+1

And the warranty. Can't forget the warranty. Everything but gas and tires. Can't be beat.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte.../Warranty.aspx

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 03-26-2013, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Mpg, the 328 is the champ. If you want it to be sporty and handle, make sure you have a RWD sports suspension car so you also get the sorts seats. The trunk and back seat size also five the ups to the 328.

Driving all 3 should seal the deal. The ATS will have a bit superior steering and handling at the expense of MPG and rear seat and trunk space.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
What you really need is a diesel. That's the best you can do for a long highway commute. 45-50 MPG and diesel engines are robust and would last you hundreds of thousands of miles. Unfortunately, unless you're in Europe, you're not going to get the 320d (or 328d.) Others have mentioned getting an "appliance" car such as a Honda or Toyota... well, consider a VW Passat TDI or even a VW Jetta TDI. They are a bit of a blend of typical "appliance" car and sporty German car.

Or here's another harebrained idea: Get a Tesla. The Model S with the small battery should have enough range for your daily commute. It's been compared favorably with the likes of the Porsche Panamera and BMWs, and it doesn't use any gas at all! An entry-level Model S would run you about the same as a fully-loaded BMW 3, but you don't have to pay for gas (electricity should be about a quarter of the cost per mile) and since it's like driving a giant iPad, maintenance costs should be less than a complex internal combustion engined car.

You asked specifically about the A4, ATS and 328i. Well, all three of those are also on my short-list. However, since the 328i will be the only one available as a wagon, that's likely where I'll be forced to go. But for you, I'd test drive each and pick the one you like the drive of, the looks of, and that makes financial sense to you (cost of car, maintenance, fuel, etc.)

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 03-26-2013, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: '12 BMW 328, '11 Audi Q5
Sound advice all. You may even consider the Audi Q5 if you have 6' tall friend and family. I am 6' and the Q5 is a lot easier to get a comfortable driving position than the A4. The Q5 does not cost a lot more than the equivalent 3-series or A4.

The best advice from above is to get a commuter. I picked up a Golf TDi a while back for my commute. Quite sporty, has Bluetooth, audio streaming and nav together with HID lights and LED DRL's and is actually very comfortable. In many cases I do not even take the Q5 or the 328 because the TDi suit most needs - even two sets of golf clubs with the rear seats folded flat.

Old 03-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Byron

Mein Auto: BMW F31
Quote:
90 miles a day = 150km a day

250 working days a year = 37,500km

plus weekends driving = 40,000km a year

a BMW wont' last..... will cost you lots of $ to maintain that driving

german cars are not built for daily long distance driving

Japanese and Korean cars are for that
Actually the kind of driving that the OP will be doing will be doing is the easiest on a car and even a BMW should hold up okay ...plus he lives in a mild climate.

I think the OP should try the A4 with the sports suspension as the standard suspension is extremely bland and he might as well be driving a Toyota. OTOH, the sports suspension might be too stiff... won't know unless he tries one out. Also the current gen A4 is nearing the end of its production cycle and I'm guessing that there will be a major revision coming with the 2015 model year (just a WAG).

Another point is rear seat comfort for six footers. Seems that the A4 might be a little too tight but the only way to know is to set up the driver's and front passenger seat for his use and then do a back seat recon.

Don't know anything about the Caddy and only have limited experience with the F series but that should change near the end of May when my F31 is scheduled to arrive.

BMW F31 Touring / Mineral White / Sport Line
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 328i 2013 Sport Line
Highway miles are the easiest for ANY car. I do not buy the argument that the BMW will not stand up to the commute. If you were driving 90 miles in stop and go traffic and lots of red lights and stop sights, then maybe you could argue for a super reliable (and more boring) car.

The 328i is an excellent highway car. However, there is a significant downside to using the BMW in your trips. You will have to have cosmetic surgery sometime down the road (pun intended) to repair all those wrinkles from the permanent smile on your face during all those 90 mile drives.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
My new job requires me to drive about 90 miles roundtrip each day and my relatively new Suburban's fuel economy is killing me. I'm handing to Burban off to my wife, as she hauls the kids the most, I'm going to move to a new sporty sedan. The cars in the title are at the top of my list, but I'm having a tough time deciding between them. I though checking in here made sense.

I'm looking for the following: a) great highway fuel economy (real world, not gamed EPA #s), b) very sporty handling balanced with a smooth highway ride and c) a decent size back seat so I can fit my relatively tall 6' relatives, at least for short trips around town. Also, I love golf, so fitting clubs in the trunk would be key. How do you 3-series owners feel it compares to the others in this respect? I've heard good things about the new 328's twin-turbo engine.
90 mile round trip x 245 days (annual driving days) = 22,050 miles per year + weekly trips around home = 25,000 miles annually. You did not describe what % city highway you drive and commute time. With the stop/go, the engine shut off will be beneficial, on the highway; the new BMW 4 cylinder engine is very good with ample power!

I have a 75 mile daily commute, spend 2 hours daily in the car. I get around 32 MPG 60% highway. Besides the gas, the comfort is critically important! Some here say get a Toyota, well maybe but again, you are going to spend 2 hours daily, over 500 hours per year in whatever you choose!

The new BMW F30 is nearly as big as the 5-series models from a decade ago; it has the biggest trunk of the three (especially if you have the fold down rear seats) and ample room in the back seats. It also has the automatic fan that you can program to cool off the car before you come out to it (great for hot Atlanta summer days).

If you choose the F30, I would get the Tech Package as it provides the traffic updates on your screen, it has twice in 4 months warned me of freeway closures. It also provides the HUD (heads up display) which you will use more than you will know. It has the enhanced Bluetooth and Apps that allow the easiest and best phone and music choices. This is comfort at its best.

In conclusion, I would test drive all of them and let us know which way you go and why, good luck!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
It also has the automatic fan that you can program to cool off the car before you come out to it (great for hot Atlanta summer days).
I'm in Miami, would be used here ilke year round, where can i read more about this, I already ordered my car, hopefully it's not an additional option I missed... going to look through my PDF manual see what i find. Thanks
Old 03-26-2013, 10:59 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:

My commute is less than yours, and still miles build up pretty quick. You'll end up with high mileage car out of warranty and potentially high repair bills that will compensate your fuel savings. Commute is commute - there isn't much fun going same route every day.

Also, my personal conclusion with BMW - one should buy post LCI car (unless lease). They will fix whatever issues they can fix by that time. Right now if you get 328i you'll enroll in the group of this engine's testers.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '12 X535i
I see a 328dX Touring customer here. Objections?

Or, however sacrilegious this might sound, a 328iGT.

Last edited by ynguldyn; 03-26-2013 at 11:43 AM.