Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-26-2013, 02:20 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBS3SSION View Post
What you really need is a diesel. That's the best you can do for a long highway commute. 45-50 MPG and diesel engines are robust and would last you hundreds of thousands of miles. Unfortunately, unless you're in Europe, you're not going to get the 320d (or 328d.)
The 328d (2.0 turbo diesel) will be here this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
I see a 328dX Touring customer here. Objections?

Or, however sacrilegious this might sound, a 328iGT.
Both good suggestions, but I don't think there's going to be a 328d Touring for the U.S. A 328i Touring xDrive is coming.

OP, you might want to look into the 3 Series GT, the 328d sedan, the 328i Touring xDrive and even the coming 320i. Regardless of all the gnashing of teeth you'll hear about how under powered the 320i is going to be, the reality is it will give you all the power you truly need. The 320i will have 180 hp and 200 lb-ft of torque from 1,250 - 4,500 rpms (almost certainly under rated). BMW sold millions of E46 325i's with only 184 hp and 175 lb-ft of torque and that model is considered one of the best sport sedans ever made.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 03-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
The 328 has the best mpg. ATS and A4 can't compare in the handling department. ATS does have a a larger back seat. Clubs fit nicely- even parallel to the rear axle in the 328; ATS does have larger trunk.

I just test drove the ATS 2 weeks ago: Cadillac has done a nice job trying to come out with a sporty handling car, but it's not as sporty as the A4 and not even close to the 328.

328 wins!
Are you sure you weren't driving a CTS or XTS rather than an ATS?? The ATS compares quite favorably in the handling department (at least as far as suspension and balance are concerned). Regardless of what the car rags are reporting the ATS's steering feels way over-boosted. I can turn it with my pinky finger. Unlike with the 3er changing the ATS to sport mode does not firm up the steering feel. The back seat in the ATS is markedly smaller than the F30 3er. It is much closer in size to the E46 3er back seat, but I think it's actually smaller. Due to the wide, sloping C pillars it certainly feels more confining. It doesn't feel as confining as the CTS back seat. The CTS has extremely wide C pillars and the seat sits down very low so it feels like you're sitting in a dark, pit. The ATS trunk is also markedly smaller than the F30 3er. In fact, in all its interior dimensions the ATS feels much more similar to the E46 3er.

OP, one thing I don't see much mention of regarding the ATS is the significant intrusion of the transmission tunnel into the front seat foot wells. It is noticeable on the driver side, but it is pretty dramatic on the passenger side. The foot well is quite narrow. It actually reminds me of how narrow the passenger side foot wells used to be in full size passenger vans back when they had really short hoods and about 2/3 of the motor was between the front seats.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-26-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 03:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
The new BMW F30 is nearly as big as the 5-series models from a decade ago;
Absolutely. My friend had an E39 (530?) back in the day. He says the same thing. He thinks my new F30 335 blows away the old E39 5 Series in all aspects. He's driving around in a Porsche Cayenne right now by the way...

Anyway, I remember how much I loved that car when I drove in it, but now I'm thinking that my F30 is better in every way...

Last edited by krash; 03-26-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:58 PM

Mein Auto: Passat 1.8T MT
Quote:
What you really need is a diesel. That's the best you can do for a long highway commute. 45-50 MPG and diesel engines are robust and would last you hundreds of thousands of miles. Unfortunately, unless you're in Europe, you're not going to get the 320d (or 328d.) Others have mentioned getting an "appliance" car such as a Honda or Toyota... well, consider a VW Passat TDI or even a VW Jetta TDI. They are a bit of a blend of typical "appliance" car and sporty German car.
I am in the same boat in that I have a very long commute with mostly freeway + a canyon section. A diesel is in principle very attractive. However, (1) you usually have to pay a substantial premium to get the diesel engine. (2) Some of the US versions of these diesels seem to require extra service items. (3) Parts may be hard to come by, and the knowledge base at independents to service these diesels may be very thin (maybe even at some dealerships), which means you will have to pay through the nose fro service and repairs at dealerships. From my perspective, all these points negate ay advantage the diesels may provide.

The 328i auto returns 40mpgs for pure highway cruising according to CR. That's versus 51mpg for the Passat TDI. If your driving is indeed mostly highway cruising (EPA is not quite like cruising), then the advantage is even less than indicated by EPA numbers.

Last edited by bmw_or_audi; 03-26-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwlvr60 View Post
The 328 has the best mpg. ATS and A4 can't compare in the handling department. ATS does have a a larger back seat. Clubs fit nicely- even parallel to the rear axle in the 328; ATS does have larger trunk.

I just test drove the ATS 2 weeks ago: Cadillac has done a nice job trying to come out with a sporty handling car, but it's not as sporty as the A4 and not even close to the 328.

328 wins!
Are you sure you are talking about the ATS? The ATS is the best handling and most "sporty" of the three. It also has less space than the 328.

OP: based on your criteria (trunk space and fuel economy being priorities) I would recommend the 328. Also go test drive all three when you have some time.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
OP, buy a diesel vehicle. Which one? It doesn't really matter - you bought a Suburban of your own accord without having had gun pointed between your eyes or your family in some kind of peril. AND it used to be perfectly fine until daily mileage grew uncomfortably.

No offense meant in paragraph above. Seriously. I wouldn't take a Suburban (and a whole lot of similar vehicles) if they were given to me for free unless I needed charity so I can go to work and make some bread for the family. I don't think you need to spend this kind of money - even if you have it and it is no problem at all for you. Rethink.

50 mpg Passat or Jetta will do wonders for you. Hell, I drive one (Jetta TDI) to work every day and my wife drives a Bimmer. Nothing wrong with that.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 03-26-2013, 05:42 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '12 X535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Both good suggestions, but I don't think there's going to be a 328d Touring for the U.S.
It's on the MY2014 SOP list published by Jon.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: Suburban
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
OP, buy a diesel vehicle. Which one? It doesn't really matter - you bought a Suburban of your own accord without having had gun pointed between your eyes or your family in some kind of peril. AND it used to be perfectly fine until daily mileage grew uncomfortably.

No offense meant in paragraph above. Seriously. I wouldn't take a Suburban (and a whole lot of similar vehicles) if they were given to me for free unless I needed charity so I can go to work and make some bread for the family. I don't think you need to spend this kind of money - even if you have it and it is no problem at all for you. Rethink.

50 mpg Passat or Jetta will do wonders for you. Hell, I drive one (Jetta TDI) to work every day and my wife drives a Bimmer. Nothing wrong with that.
No offense taken. A lot of great comments here. I got the Suburban because it was useful when I occasionally hauled the kids, on weekends I sometimes need to tow a smaller boat and my old job had me going to industrial / construction sites a lot where I liked the more rugged nature. I ended up rarely hauling the kids, and aside from the new long commute (mostly highway for those who asked), I will likely be going less to no industrial / construction sites.

In any case, a diesel 328 might make sense.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 PM

Mein Auto: Suburban
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosetafa View Post
Hey there!

A friend of mine was also shopping for cars recently - well pickup trucks actually - and used a personalized car advice service called Car Match (think the address was www.carmatcher.com). I believe he got some good insights. That being said, you can also do the research yourself, like I did. May be worth checking out.
Interesting website. Not sure I'll use it, but interesting.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 PM
Love my Diesel Vehicles

Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlused View Post
My new job requires me to drive about 90 miles roundtrip each day and my relatively new Suburban's fuel economy is killing me. I'm handing to Burban off to my wife, as she hauls the kids the most, I'm going to move to a new sporty sedan. The cars in the title are at the top of my list, but I'm having a tough time deciding between them. I though checking in here made sense.

I'm looking for the following: a) great highway fuel economy (real world, not gamed EPA #s), b) very sporty handling balanced with a smooth highway ride and c) a decent size back seat so I can fit my relatively tall 6' relatives, at least for short trips around town. Also, I love golf, so fitting clubs in the trunk would be key. How do you 3-series owners feel it compares to the others in this respect? I've heard good things about the new 328's twin-turbo engine.
Your commute is ideally suited for a Diesel vehicle which besides yielding a longer driving range, the huge torque is intoxicating and the highway miles just melts away with relaxed and effortless cruising.

I have a daily driving range of between 120~150 Miles and since Nov 2009, I've switched to Diesel vehicles and have not looked back.

However for the past 10 days I've been driving an F30 328 xi loaner while my 335d is in for repairs. Man do I missed my 335D!
In the 10 days I've driven over 1,200 miles on the F30 and I can tell you that the driving range of the F30 averages out to 400+/- miles per tank.

I do over 75% highway driving and over the past 3+ years my 335d will average 480 miles per tank. I do not drive till it's almost empty as that's not good for the turbos and I normally fill up when there's about 1/8 tank left.

My VW Jetta TDI gets around the same range as the 335d but it has a smaller tank and my M-B ML350BlueTec averages 580 miles per tank but it's a larger tank.

Based on your commute of 90 mile return per day, the F30 should give you 4.5 days before you need to refill.

If rear seat and trunk space is desirable and driving range is what you're looking for then you should check out the VW Passat TDI which has the same Diesel power train as the Jetta and with a larger tank it's supposed to give a range of 800 miles!

If money is not an issue I'd wait for the new M-B E250BlueTec 4Matic which should be available before the end of the year.
If you need the vehicle soon you can check out the M-B GLK250BlueTec which is currently available.

The E250BlueTec 4Matic is the vehicle I will likely trade my 335d for when it is available.

My experience with BMW Diesel power train has not been too good as after 60,000 miles my 335d had a fuel injector and the intake manifold replaced and issues with carbon build up. I hope that BMW's new 328D/535D has these issues resolved but I'd not put any more $$ on another BMW Diesel vehicle.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI

Last edited by DC-IT; 03-26-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
It's on the MY2014 SOP list published by Jon.
Thanks!! I am very pleased to be wrong about this. I thought when I read your post it sounded correct. Then instead of doing a search for Jon's post I just did a quick Google search. That's what laziness gets me. The worst part is searching Jon's threads was actually easier and would have saved me from having to write this post.

Last edited by tturedraider; 03-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmermeupscoty View Post
Highway miles are the easiest for ANY car. I do not buy the argument that the BMW will not stand up to the commute. If you were driving 90 miles in stop and go traffic and lots of red lights and stop sights, then maybe you could argue for a super reliable (and more boring) car.

The 328i is an excellent highway car. However, there is a significant downside to using the BMW in your trips. You will have to have cosmetic surgery sometime down the road (pun intended) to repair all those wrinkles from the permanent smile on your face during all those 90 mile drives.
+1 my round trip of 72 is all highway. These cars are built to drive and keep you smiling the longer your in them.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 AM

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
OP, have you test drove the new 328i yet? I drove one yesterday and did not expect to like it as much as I did.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_or_audi View Post
I am in the same boat in that I have a very long commute with mostly freeway + a canyon section. A diesel is in principle very attractive. However, (1) you usually have to pay a substantial premium to get the diesel engine. (2) Some of the US versions of these diesels seem to require extra service items. (3) Parts may be hard to come by, and the knowledge base at independents to service these diesels may be very thin (maybe even at some dealerships), which means you will have to pay through the nose fro service and repairs at dealerships. From my perspective, all these points negate ay advantage the diesels may provide.
1. Yes, sometimes the diesel model does cost more. But in the past 15 years, the diesel model tends to be better equipped than the gas model. Look at VWs: If you want all the doodads, you usually need the TDI. And BMW made the 335d the top-of-the-line 3 Series.

2. Sure, some diesels require the additives, but they don't have spark plugs, etc. So it's kind of a give and take.

3. Maybe for some brands that sell a pittance of diesels in the states. VW diesels have thrived for decades and have cult followings. No shortage of parts or knowledge there.

4. You didn't mention that diesel costs more than premium unleaded. However, some quick math can tell you if you make out in the end or not. Simply calculate your cost-per-mile based on your average commute. Heck, if you drive a LOT, you could probably make up the price premium of buying the diesel in the first place over the period you intend to own the car.

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19 AM

Quote:
3. Maybe for some brands that sell a pittance of diesels in the states. VW diesels have thrived for decades and have cult followings. No shortage of parts or knowledge there.
I had the 328 diesel in mind.

Quote:
4. You didn't mention that diesel costs more than premium unleaded.
In CA, this is actually seasonal. During some periods diesel costs less than premium.

I'll certainly have the diesel in mind. But it will all depend on exactly what configuration BMW brings to the US.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 XDrive 28i
If money is not issue at all i would say go with 328, it is good with gas milage and new design is very close to A4 in fit and finish and all bells and whistles. ATS will be very good as far as pricing is concerned, Car and Drivers review is very good about ATS, you get lot of car for the money and is lot cheaper to maintain, with your high milage use i would recommend ATS. Keep in mind you warranty will expire with in 3 years and you will be on your own, BMWs are high maintenance cars and A4 reliability is not that great. I have my 07 328 i with 92K miles on it, it requires lot of maintenance, don't get me wrong i love this car but it comes at a cost.
E90 2007
E46 2005

Last edited by IAS; 03-29-2013 at 05:43 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:13 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix View Post
I'm in Miami, would be used here ilke year round, where can i read more about this, I already ordered my car, hopefully it's not an additional option I missed... going to look through my PDF manual see what i find. Thanks
Go to the iDrive / Settings / Climate, you will see two settings, each with two timers. Each setting is for different times with start/stop duration to set the fan operation at the same time each day. Example, one time few minutes before lunch and second for just before leaving work!

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i
I just spent the last 2 weeks looking at 328i, C250, A4 and ATS. Spent hours test driving, researching, sitting in all seats,n,etc..

I just put a deposit down on a 328i yesterday

Here's my thoughts on those cars ( I'll omit C250 )

The A4 I really liked, seating was nice, handling was nice and fuel #'s were comparable. Looks were ok if that matters.

The ATS even thou looks nice really wasn't in same boat, like mentioned before where the pedals are its a very narrow space. I also noticed this slightly in the A4, I noticed while pressing on gas pedal I would rub wall next to it. Also the ATS if getting comparable engine as 328i and A4 the fuel is not as good. I also didn't like the way it drove and back seat space and trunk was to me sig. smaller

I chose the 328i because of power, handling, space, maintenance ( a big one ) and just overall looks and reviews.

Good luck and hope this helps
Old 03-30-2013, 12:05 PM
328i xDrive Commuter

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFol310 View Post
I just spent the last 2 weeks looking at 328i, C250, A4 and ATS. Spent hours test driving, researching, sitting in all seats,n,etc..

I just put a deposit down on a 328i yesterday .......

I chose the 328i because of power, handling, space, maintenance ( a big one ) and just overall looks and reviews.
Congrats! What options, color, etc. did you get?

2013 328i xDrive / 8-Speed / Imperial Blue / Everest Grey / Sport Package / Premium Package / Tech Package / Heated Seats
Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpgray View Post
Congrats! What options, color, etc. did you get?
Mineral Grey with Nav/BMW Assist.

Hopefully take delivery end of April
Old 03-30-2013, 12:41 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFol310 View Post
Mineral Grey with Nav/BMW Assist.

Hopefully take delivery end of April
Congrats. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the C250.

Old 03-30-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Congrats. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the C250.
It really lacked balls when needed. Interior quality seemed a bit better than BMW but power was less and mpg was lower which to me doesn't make much sense for about the same price.

For me it was a tough decision. I could have gotten more in the C250 for what I got in the 328 for the same price, but having to pay maintenance and a 9 month shorter lease I didn't like that so went with BMW.

When you compare ATS, 328i, A4 and C250 the C250 was by far the slowest and lacked the power when needed.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:12 PM

Mein Auto: Traded M5 for Volt!?!?
Reviews for the ATS seem to consistently rate the 2.0 liter poorly...indicating it doesn't perform as well as its rating would suggest. The V6 seems to be preferred here. however, the bigger red flag for me is that the great handling seems to be offset with a choppy ride...pay close attention to that on a test drive.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 AM
Abuser of everything

Mein Auto: BMW E90 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
Reviews for the ATS seem to consistently rate the 2.0 liter poorly...indicating it doesn't perform as well as its rating would suggest. The V6 seems to be preferred here. however, the bigger red flag for me is that the great handling seems to be offset with a choppy ride...pay close attention to that on a test drive.
RoadandTrack in January 2013 p30 said that they" VASTLY prefer this car with the naturally aspirated V6" and that "in a ATS-to ATS comparison, the V6 transformed the car".
Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 PM

I stumbled upon a review of the ATS in Consumer Reports (didn't really read it yet). They seem thrilled with the sporty handling. But as others are saying, they were less than thrilled with the 2.0T. For one thing, they averaged 23mpg vs 28mpg for the 328i. That is substantial. I think they weren't too impressed with the engine, including the sounds it makes.