Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Question 2005 Seat Back Frame Removal?

Just purchased an 05 X3. The plastic "seat back frame" (hard plastic shell on back of front seats) on the drivers seat looks like it has been removed for some reason and put back a little low and not very snug. I have searched the forums, put cannot find any post talking about how to remove it so that I can try to reposition it and put it back on in the right place.

I do not want to break anything in my attempts to get it off, so if anyone knows the correct method for removing it, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
Maybe some one thatís done it will get on - but for now, here are some instructions
Old 03-26-2013, 08:04 AM

Thx John

Thank you for posting the links to the instructions, exactly what I need.

It is not stated in the PDF, but it looks like I need to order a set of retaining clips for the reinstall, since I have to cut the old ones to get it off. So now I need to find the part number for them and get them ordered.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have a similar problem on my '06. The driver's seatback has begun to separate from the frame -- apparently due to putting down the rear seat back without moving the driver's seat forward enough for the head rest on the rear seatback to clear (mea culpa!) without "pushing" the front seatback. So far it is not "that" bad. Might have been that thing that caused the OP's problem. One thing I have noticed, is that the interior pieces of the X3 are not "robust" enough to really handle any kind of "Sport Activity" purposes. The rubber around the door sills tears, the film peels off the various dash and steering wheel surfaces, the push in cup holder is a joke, the carpet is really not cut to fit all that well, along with the seatback problem. I guess they are designed to be "coddled" and not hard used.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3.0si
Yes, one does wonder - Iím starting to get the dreaded - cover peeling off of some of the plastic parts now - Oh Well

I have no idea what those clips look like, something like standard upholstery clips? Or
Something like #9 ( they just call a clip $1.20 at Real Oem parts) - not much more help, but thatís all Iíve got.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SEAT BACK.png
Views:	33
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	368292  
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM

I found the whole set of fittings that are used to hold the backrest rear panel in place(Part no. 52108240495). Since mine is not snapped in tight, and I cannot get it to snap in, I am thinking that the other fittings mounted inside may be broken. Since I don't want to get it off and then discover one or more of them is broken, I ordered the whole set. In the lower left corner of the attachment is the part I ordered (labeled with the 9). The clip that needs to be cut off at the bottom for removal is the little clip on the far left.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ODM4NzRfcA==.pdf (124.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 04-01-2013, 04:48 PM

Just a follow-up for anyone that may be interested. Parts came in today, removed rear panel and inspected how exactly it all clips in, got it on in the correct position with new clips and it looks great. Took all of about 1/2 hour to complete. My style of seat did not use all the fittings that came in the kit I ordered, so it is either a combined kit for different models or maybe I ordered the wrong kit, not sure. But it had everything I needed and it was a very cheap and easy fix.