Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 03-25-2013, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 x3
Coolant system

I bought my x3 used about a year ago. I feel in love with my car. Once I got it home and owned it for maybe 2-3 weeks the expansion tank had a crack in it. The dealership I purchased it from fixed it at no charge. I have since had it in the shop 3 different times. My water pump went out, then not long after that my ol man always says he can smell coolant and it just happen to be a clamp not tightend. But now my lower radiator hose has busted. And not to count my ol man has changed a valve, of some sort. Has anybody else had much of an issue with the coolant parts?
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 08 E83; 97 MKIII; 84 GMC
The cooling system: the bane of many a BMW owner's existence. As you have an M54 engine, around 100k miles you'll have wanted to save yourself some headache and just replace the entire system. Your T-stat may be weeping, or a sensor is leaking, or one of the water hoses is cracked, or the bleeder valve in the upper hose is leaking, or take your pick of anything in the system...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 ///M5
This is a typical BMW cooling system problem. Thats why when people post new threads about replacing 1 part of their cooling system, I tell them to replace everything. Essentially a cooling system overhaul. Some listen, some dont, others just dont know. BMW has a terrible cooling system that needs to be checked on every 30k-50k miles. I replaced my entire cooling system on my E46 just as preventive maintenance. That was almost 25k miles ago, I might be due for another soon. I am not surprised one bit by your post. Do some research on the web and on other forums. There are great DIY writeups, listing of part numbers, and scheduled maintenance. One guy on E46fanatics, is over 300,000 miles on his e46 and has overhauled his cooling system 3 times just as preventive maintenance.

If I had to guess, your lower intake boot is torn (Or was before), MAF and DISA need a cleaning, transfer case fluid needs flush ,and your shocks and struts are on the way out as well. It all just goes with owning a BMW.
Tuning Tech Tune by Frank Smith (http://www.tuningtechfs.com/)
Tuning Tech IAT Kit
Supersprint Headers
SuperSprint X-Pipe
Eisenmann Race 4x83mm
DINAN Front Strut Brace
Storm Motorwerks Products

2006 X3 3.0i M-Sport | Silver Grey | Terracotta | AT | Navigation | Premium Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | AFE |

Last edited by jdauria; 03-27-2013 at 01:13 PM.