Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Hey mates im buying a new beamer

Im thinking of buying a 525i 2004 with 85 k miles on it for 13,000. Do you think this is a good price because it has brand new brakes and new tires and transmission is smooth. I just am wondering about maitenance cost and how long this baby might last me before i get some problems.
Advertisement
Old 03-25-2013, 11:28 PM

I am trying to make it last for atleast 4 years..
Old 03-26-2013, 12:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 535i xDrive
Private or dealership? Complete maintenance records?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 AM

Private
Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 AM

Car has been maitenanced recently it is my buddies. What do you think will be the most costly for maintaing this baby for 4 years.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:10 AM

Depends on what the status is of the basics first. Tires, brakes, oil and alignment are costs (although small) that add up quickly.

FYI, 13 is high for private seller. No warranty, I assume?
Old 03-27-2013, 12:14 AM

Yes no warranty. I wad thinking the same thing but he "says" he has done a great amount of work into it but i am reluctant to believing its gunna last me 4 years with no problems whatsover because every car has problems
Old 03-27-2013, 12:16 AM

What would be my maintenance cost compared to a Toyota camry 2013 because my other car is brand new and i have free maitenance for now? How much more expensive?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:09 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
I CAN last you 4 years without repair problems easily, there are many members and others that I know with 525/530's and well over 200k miles. However, proper maintenance will be required (as with any car you expect to last, even a Honda will die without maintenance).
Don't trust anyone, yes even a friend, that is trying to sell you something. First get the price down to $10-11k, then once you get the car change oil, trans fluid, diff fluid, spark plugs, brake fluid, coolant, and have the car checked out for anything that may need attention ASAP.
Then enjoy your "new" car, it's a good car and should easily last you quite a while. Look around other forums, the engine used in 2004/05 525 and 530's in the M54, which has a long and reliable history going back to 1998 (as I recall), it was used in the E39 5 series, E46 3 series, Z3/4, and the X5. There is a ton of history out there on that engine. Main things that go wrong are not excessively difficult or expensive to replace: Oil Filter housing gasket ($5 and Bavauto.com has a DIY video), water pump, thermostat, coolant expansion tank.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 530i Sport
If you want a little more power i would try finding a 530.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:48 PM

I got it down to 11k ! Im soo ready thanks a lot guys. I understand about the maitenance and it has been maintained welll since he has had it and i an recieving all receipts! Thanks everyone
Old 03-27-2013, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Dude go for it its a BMW. With a m5x engine. That's a pretty much bulletproof formula. If i were getting an e60 though I'd personally splurge on the 530 or 535i. The 2.5 engine is really under powered for these chassis in stock trim. I mean the after market support is there to super them up, but I'd rather pay a little extra and get the power I want from the factory.

That said drive the car if you like how it handles and the power buy it and dont look back. If you get bored you can sell it for what you paid. BMW's keep their value better than most cars out there
Old 03-27-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3star View Post
That said drive the car if you like how it handles and the power buy it and dont look back. If you get bored you can sell it for what you paid. BMW's keep their value better than most cars out there
As a general rule, this is exactly the opposite of reality, right? I mean, please explain what you're saying? They do not retain their value at all off the lot. No car does, but luxury cars of the current era lose their value (as a %) quicker than any other cars.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatbl View Post
As a general rule, this is exactly the opposite of reality, right? I mean, please explain what you're saying? They do not retain their value at all off the lot. No car does, but luxury cars of the current era lose their value (as a %) quicker than any other cars.
If u bought it for 11k I'm sure you could list it for 13 on craigslist in a few months and some one would call you. Then let them talk you down to 11. .

That's just a suggestion f you get bored. If you wait longer of course they will devalue more
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 PM

Hows the speed on this baby? I know mpg is 21 but what about, 0-60? And the handling?
Old 03-27-2013, 11:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 530i Sport
It's going to be underpowered... I'm shocked why BMW would put 2.5 with less than 200hp in a 5 series.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimdreamfro View Post
Hows the speed on this baby? I know mpg is 21 but what about, 0-60? And the handling?
Speed is limited by the power output (172 BHP for the 525), handling will depend if it has sports pkg or not. Without sports pkg it will handle about as well as an Accord or Camry, with sports pkg it becomes the car a BMW should be.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM

I seee it is just a base model.Any tips to making it drive smoother
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM

The handling
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
It will handle just fine, but won't have a very sporty feel. Stiffer shocks/springs will help, but the real advantage of the sport package is the active roll stabilization which would be $$$$ to retrofit.

I spend around $2k/year on average in maintenance including regular wear items such as tires/brakes. I pretty much stick to the CBS indicators for everything except oil changes and spark plugs. However, make sure to regularly check your fluid levels and top up as needed.

At 100k I had the cooling system overhauled and the rear diff fluid changed. If you live in an area with 4 seasons the seals around the rear and front windshield will also likely need replacement - although that can be done yourself for around $70 and an afternoon on the weekend. So expect a hump in maintenance costs in a year or 2 if you want to keep the car running in top condition.

I did not change the tranny fluid because I didn't change it at 50k. I've heard changing the fluid can create more problems with the gears slipping as well as leaks if its never been changed after 90k or so miles - so until it decides to act up, I'm not going to touch it.

$13k sounds a bit steep, but certainly wouldn't want to low ball your friend so I don't think you could offer any less than $10k assuming everything works fine and there are no major issues. Perhaps for $12-$13k you could work a nice set of wheels into the deal if he's staying absolutely firm at the asking price?

2015 BMW 435i GC MSport (ED Sept 29, 2014)
2004 BMW 530i -Titanium Silver -Grey Dakota -Dark Poplar -Premium -Sport -Cold Weather -Xenons -Heated Rear Seats -Active Steering -Logic 7 -Sirius
2010 Lexus RX350 AWD (hers) -Smokey Granite Mica -Black -Premium -Comfort -Nav -Tow Prep -Premium Sound -Wood Steering Wheel/Shifter

Last edited by dwlink; 03-29-2013 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimdreamfro View Post
I seee it is just a base model.Any tips to making it drive smoother
You really need to go test drive this car. You can make any car handle, the issue is aftrmarket support and how much money you have.

KW suspwnsions makes several full coilover suspension kits for your car. Which pretty much means your set.

With one of those bad boys alone you should out handle pretty much anything stock on the street. I'd get the variant 3 or 2. Being able to adjust rebound is a huge plus, and will let you setuphow you want it to handle.

If you are worried about them being too stiff you can specialorder them in lower spring rates

An active rollbar is really really awesome but the older BMW e34s never had them and they handle fnfne. Even if no company makes a roll bar for your car you can make your own or have one made. Its a very simple calculation to figure out the stiffness then the bar it self is just a hallow chromoly tube, that's bent with a flat plate welded to the ends for the links to connect. Any shop with a good mandrel bender can make one. Just provide the tubing.
Really though once you can get coilovers and a good set of wheels and tires I think you would be very happy with the car and on the track handling wise yould be able to run with some pretty elite company.

Speed is a relative thing all of it has to do with how comfortable the car makes you feel. A car might be capable of pulling 5gs in a corner by if it scares the piss out of you to do that and your limit is 1.5 gs then the car is realistically only capable of 1.5gs.

The point I'm making is a car might be better handling on paper but specs don't win races. And you can find parts to make the car handle the way you want it to, even if its not the way how BMW wanted it to handle. As with everything it just takes time and money

Finding
Old 03-29-2013, 02:52 AM

The racetrack is a wonderful equalizer I've seen guys in Honda s2000s get mauled by saturns.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: A Car
The M54 if maintained properly can last very very long.
Usual things that break down are: Radiator expansion tank, radiator plastic hoses/tubes, clogged CCV valve which can turn your engine in a sludge monster.
Old 04-10-2013, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlink View Post
It will handle just fine, but won't have a very sporty feel. Stiffer shocks/springs will help, but the real advantage of the sport package is the active roll stabilization which would be $$$$ to retrofit.

I spend around $2k/year on average in maintenance including regular wear items such as tires/brakes. I pretty much stick to the CBS indicators for everything except oil changes and spark plugs. However, make sure to regularly check your fluid levels and top up as needed.

At 100k I had the cooling system overhauled and the rear diff fluid changed. If you live in an area with 4 seasons the seals around the rear and front windshield will also likely need replacement - although that can be done yourself for around $70 and an afternoon on the weekend. So expect a hump in maintenance costs in a year or 2 if you want to keep the car running in top condition.

I did not change the tranny fluid because I didn't change it at 50k. I've heard changing the fluid can create more problems with the gears slipping as well as leaks if its never been changed after 90k or so miles - so until it decides to act up, I'm not going to touch it.

$13k sounds a bit steep, but certainly wouldn't want to low ball your friend so I don't think you could offer any less than $10k assuming everything works fine and there are no major issues. Perhaps for $12-$13k you could work a nice set of wheels into the deal if he's staying absolutely firm at the asking price?
Yes man of course i think i will give him 11 because it seems like a great car that hopefully will not give me problems for a while! Agree?