Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 03-26-2013, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330CI
DO NOT USE! DENSION ice link Plus V2.02 for IPOD will damage your e46!

2003 330Ci all stock w/sport package & manual transmission.

BMW Navigation System with aftermarket hookup for IPOD will damage your e46 and it's electronics.

BEWARE:
Brand: DENSION Audio Systems Ltd.
Model: Ice Link Plus V2.02
SKU barcode: 421329840

*I can email photos of audio cable unit upon request! and the service write-up from BMW diagnosing this issue and what the end result was, $448 dollars later.

Been driving my 03 330CI (2nd owner) for a pretty long time now with ipod accessory installed via the trunk navigation system. Let me remind you my Navigation unit is stock with the option to install/plug in an optional MP3 cable or IPOD hookup and have the ability to control up to 6 playlists via the stock Navigation unit inside the car.

All at one time the dash lights went out (in exception to the navigation screen, which now just flickers on/off), window buttons for front/rear stopped working, seatbelt light came on even when buckled in.

With the car being a 2 door, the windows will nudge down and up when opening closing the driver/passenger door. When the car was turned off and no key in ignition, the windows would slowly roll nudge down farther and farther, eventually rolling halfway down over the period of 8 hours.

I brought the car to my local import car shops and both were clueless and said only the dealership will be able to solve my issue. The end result, the dealer found out the issue, $455 later!

The battery is new, all of the fuses checked to be okay, but even the BMW technicians were baffled by the issue and said it was a 1st for them! They cut me a deal, charged me 4 hours labor for 24 hours of labor!

Now everything works fine! Except now the Navigation screen just emits a bright white flash every 10 seconds. Any suggestions on a replacement screen/unit for the stock Navigation system? Thank you
Advertisement
Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Sorry for your luck. But, thanks for the heads up for the rest of us!
Old 12-16-2013, 05:01 PM
OEM CSL Whoore

Send a message via AIM to daytonaviolet Send a message via MSN to daytonaviolet Send a message via Yahoo to daytonaviolet
Mein Auto: 2004 E46 M3
that product uses the k-bus. if anything on the k-bus is shorted, it will bring the system down. by simply unplugging the dension icelink plus out of the k-bus (usually located in the trunk), the k-bus including window controls, nav screen, blinkers should return to normal.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330CI
@daytonaviolet. Thank you for your comment, however I'm sorry my friend but you are wrong. We already did everything you described and to no avail The k-bus is not shorted. We were very perplexed. The system was reset, however the culprit ended up being the Denison cable. It messed with everything! To the point where my nav screen no longer worked (just horizontal lines across the screen). Rather than purchasing a replacment unit on eBay for around $350+, I now have a suction cup lifeproof case stuck to the nav screen screen holding my phone which is in turn plugged into an aux. input and everything works fine. Ha! As long as I can here my radio I am happy. But sucks that suck an expensive unit can fail so easy due to the Denison product. Both Denison and BMW (both dealerships here in Detroit area said the same thing after $400+ in diagnostics). I have a copy of the paperwork from the dealership. The BMW technicians I brought it too are reputable and honest. I even bought 2 other Denison cables direct from Denison and it did the same thing! Nav screen still not working so we disconnected it. The screen appears like its on but it's now blank. Where do you suggest I find a replacement Nav unit?
Old 12-21-2013, 07:17 PM
OEM CSL Whoore

Send a message via AIM to daytonaviolet Send a message via MSN to daytonaviolet Send a message via Yahoo to daytonaviolet
Ebrink420,

sorry to hear about your navi issues. i had the exact problem as you and once i unplugged the 3pin k-bus all previous symptoms were gone. i believe something inside my icelink plus circuitry has gone bad causing the entire k-bus to go bad if plugged in.

where you able to look at your circuit board to check for any burned or loose components? perhaps you issue is not in the cable but on the icelink board itself.

Last edited by daytonaviolet; 12-21-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
DO NOT USE! DENSION ice link Plus V2.02 for IPOD will damage your e46!

Sounds like an alternator issue with all the lights going on like that... Alternator failures on bmw's cause all the lights to go on the dash... It's easy to blame to non OEM part.

A good test to put a volt meter in a/c mode and hook it to the battery... It should jump to much.... If it does, then the voltage regulator is shot....

I have a hard time seeing the cable causing the problem.... As it's a low voltage input out item.... Like 5V....

Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 12-21-2013, 07:37 PM
OEM CSL Whoore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
Sounds like an alternator issue with all the lights going on like that... Alternator failures on bmw's cause all the lights to go on the dash... It's easy to blame to non OEM part.

A good test to put a volt meter in a/c mode and hook it to the battery... It should jump to much.... If it does, then the voltage regulator is shot....

I have a hard time seeing the cable causing the problem.... As it's a low voltage input out item.... Like 5V....

Good luck!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
its not the cable per say which caused the issue. the icelink plus has two connections. one is the audio --> cd changer and the other plug is the k-bus connector. this is how it interfaces to the nav and steering controls. but once anything on the k-bus is shorted or has gone bad.. it starts all kinds of havic on the all the other k-bus related components ie cluster, navi, power windows and audio.