Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 03-26-2013, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: Unknown
5 Series competitor... 2014 Cadillac CTS

Do you guys like the 2014 Cadillac CTS? They previewed it early at the NYIAS. Its lighter than the new 5 series, has twin turbo 6 producing 420hp and 430tq, and unique styling. Opinions.
Ads by Google
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Ohh wow, a V6 with 420hp to boot?
Hopefully they did some upgrades to their transmission to accommodate this beast V6 unlike their ATS
Old 03-26-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamigawa120 View Post
Ohh wow, a V6 with 420hp to boot?
Hopefully they did some upgrades to their transmission to accommodate this beast V6 unlike their ATS
Oh I forgot 8sp transmission for that engine.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp23rockstar View Post
Do you guys like the 2014 Cadillac CTS? They previewed it early at the NYIAS. Its lighter than the new 5 series, has twin turbo 6 producing 420hp and 430tq, and unique styling. Opinions.
The specs dont matter. The car is so ugly that I just shake my head whenever I see it.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunccfp View Post
The specs dont matter. The car is so ugly that I just shake my head whenever I see it.
I'm not particularly fond of the styling either but I have to give Cadillac credit. They are building some nice performance automobiles. I'll be interested to read some reviews and comparison tests of the new CTS against BMW and Audi.

Colonel (Ret) US Army / Hagerstown, MD
1985 M635 Euro Alpine White/Pacific Blue (Fun Car)
2010 Z4 s30i Alpine White/Beige
2013 Audi A6 Ibis White/Nougat (Daily Driver)
2013 Audi A4(Ret)
2011 335d (Ret)
2009 335i vert (Ret)
2007 335i vert (Ret) ED 04-13-10
2000 740iL (Ret)
1998 328iC (Ret)
1990 535i (Ret)
1988 635CSi (Ret)

https://plus.google.com/photos/10999...COHGu-rlyIrrLg
Old 03-26-2013, 07:28 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
I don't understand Cadillac's engineers.

The XTS is huge. Way bigger than my 5 series. And yet I cannot fit behind the steering wheel. The previous CTS was a joke. At 6'2" and 235 lbs, I feel like a press-fit.

Hope this new car uses it's interior a little better.

Regardless, I will still have a hard time buying a GM car.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: See Sig
When the current CTS came out in 2008 I was impressed with it. Due to a GM Employee pricing in the family, and a 70% residual on a two year lease I got one. I was let down by the car. It had great features and was certainly a good effort but my comment was that it needed to go back to finishing school.

I will be very interested to see if this one has had the rough edges polished. The ATS is getting great reviews, so I will take a look at the new CTS. But would not do more than a two year lease and would not buy one. GM cars have a bad habit of hitting the ground fast then being over built, diluted, and discounted after about the second year.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528xi Titanium Sil.
Like the mechanicals. Hate the exterior and interior design. The Huge chrome grille is hideous.
2008 535i /Step/Tit Sil (gone)
2009 528xi Step/space grey(gone)
ED 03/30/2012
2012 528xi Titanium Sil.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
As others have stated, GM when you need a truck or economy sedan.

I don't really see GM offering luxury cars.

Is it just me or are there others who think Buick is doing a better job than Cadillac?

I am dumbfounded by those who pay $80k for a Cadillac or Corvette (same car) only to have it serviced by a Chevy Aveo tech and of course no loaner car.

Reminds me of the VW Phaeton. The car was ok, but there was no luxury cachet with the brand.

Last edited by chuck92116; 03-26-2013 at 08:10 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
The CTS is ugly! It screams fat, unsophisticated, old guy behind the wheel. Seriously, I think Cadillac owners have a median age of 70 or so. Any Seinfeld fans here? "It's the king car of Del Boca Vista, Florida".

My son wanted to check the CTS out and was disappointed.

We did test drive the ATS and I must say that Cadillac has come a long way with performance. It was nicer than I thought, but to compare it to a BMW is a joke.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, ContiProContact SSR RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:30 PM

So it looks to me that you guys don't care for image or design but like the engineering. Fair enough.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
The car is not half bad - I just wish they offered AWD with the 420 hp twin turbo.

BMW CCA Member
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92116 View Post
As others have stated, GM when you need a truck or economy sedan.

I don't really see GM offering luxury cars.

Is it just me or are there others who think Buick is doing a better job than Cadillac?

I am dumbfounded by those who pay $80k for a Cadillac or Corvette (same car) only to have it serviced by a Chevy Aveo tech and of course no loaner car.

Reminds me of the VW Phaeton. The car was ok, but there was no luxury cachet with the brand.
I have had a number of GM vehicles, seven Corvettes and a bunch of trucks & big SUV's mostly. I actually had an $80,000 Corvette. Tell me what else you can buy for $80,000 that does the quarter mile in the mid 11's at 125 and has outright turned the fastest lap times for a production car at various race tracks by professional drivers? That includes cars like the Ferrari 458 among others. And for the most part my Corvettes were very reliable and solid. I only had one that had significant problems and in fairness I drove the dog snot out of it.

I can't say I agree about the Buick, but I think the expectations are just different for Cadillac. But you really have to think about the commitment GM is making to Cadillac with rear drive, IRS underpinnings and very up to date engine technology. The blow away what Ford and to a lesser degree Chrysler is doing with it's top of the line cars. At least they are trying hard.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I remember the backup camera on my friends 2012 CTS-V having the clarity of a Logitec webcam from the early 1990's. That said, I would be very interested in the CTS Wagon, seeing as there is a shortage of good wagons in that segment.
2008 335i (Retired)
Old 03-27-2013, 06:26 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
I have had a number of GM vehicles, seven Corvettes and a bunch of trucks & big SUV's mostly. I actually had an $80,000 Corvette. Tell me what else you can buy for $80,000 that does the quarter mile in the mid 11's at 125 and has outright turned the fastest lap times for a production car at various race tracks by professional drivers? That includes cars like the Ferrari 458 among others. And for the most part my Corvettes were very reliable and solid. I only had one that had significant problems and in fairness I drove the dog snot out of it.

I can't say I agree about the Buick, but I think the expectations are just different for Cadillac. But you really have to think about the commitment GM is making to Cadillac with rear drive, IRS underpinnings and very up to date engine technology. The blow away what Ford and to a lesser degree Chrysler is doing with it's top of the line cars. At least they are trying hard.
My 20000 dollar vehicle does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds and a quarter mile in the low 9's with only an exhaust and tune added to it. It only came with 2 wheels though It is a bmw though, bmw s1000rr.
Old 03-27-2013, 06:51 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
It doesn't look too bad. Sales will be the factor, and seeing it's coming right when the 5 is getting it's LCI it'll be interesting.
I still believe old people will dominate the CTS sales though.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
My response to it on another Forum:

Impressive and I like it for what it is. The interior looks cheap and "American" enough to where my tastes I know would never be into it.

Numbers are impressive though however they will apparently be carrying over not only the current 3.6 N/A for the mid-line model, but they will be bringing in a 4 banger for the lower/volume model. The TT V6 will be the "550i" of the bunch. As for what the numbers mean to me.... not much as I've never bought my cars for statistical numbers, I buy them for holistic experience.

As for design, I actually like it.... for a Cadillac. It looks cleaner and more resolved than the current one. The greenhouse and most of it looks like an ATS, which gives it a kind of basic/homogenized look, however again considering Caddy's have been overly fussy and awkward that's kind of welcome. Though they added lots of attempted fussiness to try and compensate for that. It looks like a Benz, mostly like an E-Class, as Mercedes now themselves try to look like the most complexly awkward and unresolved car manufacturer themselves.... though I think this is actually a better design than what Mercedes is putting out.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:13 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
It looks like a Benz, mostly like an E-Class, as Mercedes now themselves try to look like the most complexly awkward and unresolved car manufacturer themselves.... though I think this is actually a better design than what Mercedes is putting out.
I was thinking this, especially the rear quarter panel. I didn't mention it because I thought it would be blasphemy.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
From looking at NY auto show car I already know Caddilac isn't a car for me. A company that put a car on display with chrome wheels and chrome door handles obviously has a culture and is building cars for an audience that I don't belong to. And yeah, it's gawd awful from any angle and design cue.
Old 03-27-2013, 11:45 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I think the front end styling is excellent.

The transmission is the 8-speed auto from the Lexus ISF which is an excellent transmission.

Combine that with the lighter weight. I think this car is going to be very very good. And for the price, nothing will come close. It's again going to pose a badge vs. car dilemma for people who buy lower end, under specced F10 models.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 03-27-2013, 11:59 AM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
Thing is, it depends on what one wants. Judging by the pics I can already see "GM Parts Bin" sprinkled all over it, though I'm sure it'll still be nicer than anything GM has out.

You can put out a 500 HP Caddy for the same price as my 3xx HP 535i, but if it's riddled with all those cheap switches, flimsy buttons, laggard fit/finish and bonafide "GM Parts", I'd never choose it. It just ruins the experience. BMW and the like go a long way into engineering a car that is worthy of a premium price tag even with 4 cylinder and/or underpowered drivetrain. The details, the heft and solidity in the switches, fit and finish, craftsmanship, attention to detail, design attributes, etc. etc. These are all inherent qualities that justify a price of a car more than specs and drivetrain, IMO. Especially when you're as picky about details and refinement in that sense as I or many here are. I remember a quote from the exterior designer of the F10 who said that when he was penning the car, he kept in mind the 5-Series buyers, who as he put it are "EXACT" in their senses. Where GM is still ways away is in catering to that "EXACT" crowd.... ways and ways away.

That said, I really like this CTS for what it is, but keep in mind I don't take Cadillac TOO seriously just yet, so I don't judge it as harshly as I would, say, a BMW or Mercedes. I think we need American Luxury to make a return.... and not in that wannabe Germanic sense, we have enough Euro and wannabe Euro cars. No-apologies American Luxury styling needs to make a comeback to bring some variety and if for nothing else remind us of why we love or hate German cars so much, due to such contrast in offerings being available. It makes things more fun.

If Cadillac and the like can figure out that buyers of German cars buy our cars for more than just paper specs, and yes even more than the heralded BADGE, being that we buy them for the holistic experience, which is affected by every button we push, every surface we see and feel, then they will come out all the stronger.

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.

Last edited by K-A; 03-27-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:19 PM

Caddy's niche niche is blingy, huge, cushy and powerful cars. They have always done that well. It just isn't for me but the niche exists and I'm sure there is a segment of buyers that has one leg in both camps and can be swayed with minor adjustments one way or the other. More car manufacturers is better than less so good luck to them.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motodood79 View Post
My 20000 dollar vehicle does 0-60 in 2.7 seconds and a quarter mile in the low 9's with only an exhaust and tune added to it. It only came with 2 wheels though It is a bmw though, bmw s1000rr.
Interesting comment. I just got back from two motorcycle dealers today. One was a BMW dealer where I had to pick up something for my 2013 BMW K1600GT. The other was a Ducati dealer - I bought a Panigale this morning. I was interested in a s1000rr, but long story. Honda/Ducati dealer is a very long time friend and my Goldwing has been on his lot on consignment since I bought the BMW. I finally worked a trade with him for the Panigale.

Last edited by jjsC6; 03-27-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsC6 View Post
Interesting comment. I just got back from two motorcycle dealers today. One was a BMW dealer where I had to pick up something for my 2013 BMW K1600GT. The other was a Ducati dealer - I bought a Panigale this morning. I was interested in a s1000rr, but long story. Honda Ducati dealer is a very long time friend and my Goldwing has been on his lot on consignment since I bought the BMW. I finally worked a trade with him for the Panigale.
Niiiiice, congrats! Many of us can only dream of a new Ferrari but most can get the 2-wheel equivalent. I'm not riding my 1999 748S often nowadays due to having small kids but it used to be my commuter. Love it.
Old 03-27-2013, 04:00 PM
1oz perception-1# obscure

Mein Auto: 2013 535i XDrive M-Sport
I'm sure it will be a great car, but I don't like it. It's too overstated for me. I can't imagine driving one of these to a client's office.