Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 03-27-2013, 08:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: WTB 528i
"Don't make me do that again"

Hello everyone, I have a short story I'd like to share.

The car that we had before we bought our 528i was a Honda Civic. We bought it new in 2010 for my wife to commute to college (100 miles daily total). The Car was and still is perfect for its mission, ultra-reliable, fuel efficient and solid piece of transportation, with nimble handling.

We sold it to my parents, and have had the 528i since February. Yesterday, I embarked on a project to refinish the headlights, so I told my wife to please go borrow the Civic from my parents for her grocery run, so that I could keep working on our car.

The first thing she said after she got back was "Don't me me do that again", with a smile. For those who watch Top Gear (UK original version) she said she was having "Jeremy Clarkson moments" by yelling "come on!! come on!!" while trying to get up to speed with the civic (140hp). She has grown spoiled with the feeling of our car.

Even though it's not a -35i, it still has excellent driving dynamics. And that is what I will put up with all its quirks, like the rattles that I have had to go chasing down, which you'll see me posting about here. It is really an exceptional car, and I'm very glad to own it.
Ads by Google
Old 03-27-2013, 08:50 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
LOL, great story, I have had several of those moments. Until you drive a BMW or Mercedes, or even an Audi, you don't realize how spoiled you are. I now notice the cheap materials (plastics, leather, imitation wood/leather) and horrible gaps in other cars, I notice the smell of the leather in my 5er - I have not had a car without leather interior since I was 16, but NONE have smelled so good!!!! I love the smell of the interior every time I jump in my car.

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

Previous 3 cars (the 550 is my 38th car):
2005 530i - Prem, Sport, NAV
2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-27-2013, 09:23 AM
Propellers Up Front

Mein Auto: Some Bavarian car outside
What I've noticed is that these cars have more of an effect on women than they do on men, or the women just openly admit it.
My wife for instance cannot see herself driving any other car again! She's not afraid to tell that to anyone. Her nickname at work is BMW (for real). She debates with guys about how much better BMW's are and only because they don't drive one they wouldn't know. She has some help from a guy who drives an F10 535i. My mother in law... She just wants to go fast when she drives our car. Can't slow her down, and tells us to shut up when we let her know (and the speed warning). My Aunt has to drive my X when we go to North Carolina, even though her 2010 Camry is quite capable.
I usually hear the funny stories about the women.
Don't hear too many guy stories.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM

The really funny thing is that when I originally brought up the idea to get a bmw, she wasn't on board. Her point was that the Civic was safe, reliably and efficient, which is all she needed. As bad as it sounds, not everything has to be a "need", some things are a "want". She now knows why I "wanted" this car
Old 03-27-2013, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjinca View Post
...... I have not had a car without leather interior since I was 16, but NONE have smelled so good!!!! I love the smell of the interior every time I jump in my car.
You even like the E60-specific smell of dirty nutsack emanating from the A/C vents during the summer due to mold?
That kills the drive for me...and it's coming back now that I'm using the A/C more...

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife)

Last edited by jim165; 03-27-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:18 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
You even like the E60-specific smell of dirty nutsack emanating from the A/C vents during the summer due to mold?
That kills the drive for me...and it's coming back now that I'm using the A/C more...
Three E60s for me and never any AC smell problems.

Love the description though!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:22 AM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoQuarter View Post
Three E60s for me and never any AC smell problems.

Love the description though!
LOL, yeah, never had that problem either - it is VERY dry in SoCal, not many mold issues in the AC, also I rarely use the AC. That has GOT to be the best description EVER though

[B]2008 550 - Carbon Black/Black - M-sport, Cold Weather, Premium, NAV, Comfort Access, Logic 7 (LOADED, every option except night vision)

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i Manual
Quote:
you even like the e60-specific smell of dirty nutsack emanating from the a/c vents during the summer due to mold?
That kills the drive for me...and it's coming back now that i'm using the a/c more...
rotfl...lmfao!!!

2008 BMW 550i Carbon Schwartz Metallic, 6 Speed Manual, Sport Package, Cold Weather Package, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Active Steering, Sat and HD Radio, Navigation, Comfort Seats and custom coding. Mods - 20 Watt AE, LED License plate lights and HID Fogs, StopTech drilled rotors.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i
Ha! That's an awesome story that i can relate to. I've driven plenty of cars but nothing comapres to the smell of leather in Audi & BMW. Or the interior finish/quality for that matter.
I had a VW PAssat,infinit, Subaru all with leather, but it's not the same.

My wife currently drives a ford escape and we had an M3 at some point, which she would take out reguarly cause she liked the SMG and the speed it had. Going back to her car was very dissapointing!
Old 03-27-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:

LOL!!! i thought i was the only one...its pretty bad...
Old 03-27-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Quote:
LOL, yeah, never had that problem either - it is VERY dry in SoCal, not many mold issues in the AC, also I rarely use the AC. That has GOT to be the best description EVER though
Surprisingly, that was a female coworker's description just last week when she was riding with me to lunch and I turned on the A/C....well, it was more like "why does it smell like old balls in here?!?!!?"
that was kinda funny, but then I thought about it...that wasn't funny...
Gotta fix that...

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife)

Old 03-27-2013, 03:10 PM

My previous daily driver before my 550 was a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE, with the 5 speed manual transmission. I really liked that car, it was powerful, comfortable, and enjoyable to drive. When I bought the 550, I kept the Maxima, and now my oldest son drives it (he's 17). Every once in a while, I take the Maxima out for a drive, and now, what a POS! The shift linkage is garbage, it is underpowered, doesn't handle worth a darn, is loud, the stereo sounds like crap, the list goes on!! My wife isn't happy with this scenario, because now she says I won't be able to drive anything else in the future; with two kids getting ready to go to college, she's warning me that my next car will probably be a used Hyundai or Honda or Toyota, and that I won't be able to handle it. And, she's probably right!!!

Once a BMW, never anything less!

Keith
Old 03-27-2013, 03:19 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfamily View Post
My previous daily driver before my 550 was a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE, with the 5 speed manual transmission. I really liked that car, it was powerful, comfortable, and enjoyable to drive. When I bought the 550, I kept the Maxima, and now my oldest son drives it (he's 17). Every once in a while, I take the Maxima out for a drive, and now, what a POS! The shift linkage is garbage, it is underpowered, doesn't handle worth a darn, is loud, the stereo sounds like crap, the list goes on!! My wife isn't happy with this scenario, because now she says I won't be able to drive anything else in the future; with two kids getting ready to go to college, she's warning me that my next car will probably be a used Hyundai or Honda or Toyota, and that I won't be able to handle it. And, she's probably right!!!

Once a BMW, never anything less!

Keith

LOL, completely agree, I have owned 4 Maxima SE's (2 silver/blk and 2 blk/blk - all with manuals). I knew after driving my previous 530 for a week I couldn't drive anything else anymore, which is why it was replaced with a 550, the only thing I missed was having a V8. The 550 solved that

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-27-2013, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i xDrive
Quote:
LOL, completely agree, I have owned 4 Maxima SE's (2 silver/blk and 2 blk/blk - all with manuals). I knew after driving my previous 530 for a week I couldn't drive anything else anymore, which is why it was replaced with a 550, the only thing I missed was having a V8. The 550 solved that
They made Maxima's with V8's?
Old 03-27-2013, 03:40 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by atatbl View Post
They made Maxima's with V8's?
LOL, nope, never. But I was driving an SRT 8 Jeep Grand Cherokee before my old 530. And THAT had a 6.1L Hemi and a modded 525 HP

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-27-2013, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: Porsche's
As much as I love the little lady, her family is VERY low key and big GM ppl. They have a Safari van and an Astro van....needless to say that's the type of thing she knew from very young.
She's drove my old s4 and recently I let her drive the Porsche Cayenne S and now she is hooked on German. I've had a fair amount of history in the German car land, and am hooked myself. Never a BMW though (a few Audi's, handful of Porsche's, a MB) anything less seems just not right for me. It is terrifying to think of anything less. Oy' so op I can relate, just not on the BMW front.

Oh btw the S4's napa leather was the best smelling leather I've ever experienced, I would love the smell after a hot sunny day.

As you can see, not the cool GM car ppl either. UGG even worse haha
Old 03-27-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
When I was deciding what was going to replace my Maxima, I was all set on getting an Infiniti G37S sedan with the manual trans. Then, my neighbor gave me a ride in his 535. Game over!! I went and test drove a few BMWs, looked at some Audis, fell in love with the 550, and then went back and drove the Infiniti again. Although that is still one of my favorite cars, it just wasn't the same as the 550. The only concern was longevity and reliability; I keep my cars for a long time (unlike you, I haven't had 38 cars! LOL!), so I had some concerns about keeping the BMW for the next 10 years and 150,000 miles. Well, I've put nearly 40,000 miles on my 550 (I'm at 64,000 miles total now), with only one problem (rear window regulator), so knock on wood, that continues!!

Keith
Old 03-27-2013, 04:57 PM
USAF Pararescue Veteran

Quote:
When I was deciding what was going to replace my Maxima, I was all set on getting an Infiniti G37S sedan with the manual trans. Then, my neighbor gave me a ride in his 535. Game over!! I went and test drove a few BMWs, looked at some Audis, fell in love with the 550, and then went back and drove the Infiniti again. Although that is still one of my favorite cars, it just wasn't the same as the 550. The only concern was longevity and reliability; I keep my cars for a long time (unlike you, I haven't had 38 cars! LOL!), so I had some concerns about keeping the BMW for the next 10 years and 150,000 miles. Well, I've put nearly 40,000 miles on my 550 (I'm at 64,000 miles total now), with only one problem (rear window regulator), so knock on wood, that continues!!

Keith
LOL, yeah, I do go through some cars. I plan on keeping my 550 for 3-4 years (got it 2 months ago with a 3 yr loan) until the 6 series Gran Coupe becomes more available CPO. Can't envision myself buying any new cars anymore, too much depreciation.

I had the original G35 coupe, a sport with the 6 spd manual and the Brembos. It was a fun car, but it isn't the same, that's for sure.

2006 Jeep SRT-8
2003 Infiniti G35 coupe
Old 03-27-2013, 06:46 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Quote:
I have not had a car without leather interior since I was 16, but NONE have smelled so good!!!! I love the smell of the interior every time I jump in my car.
I am 100% with you, my car still smells the same as when I first bought it. Every time my brother-n-law get in my car, he always says the same thing " GOD your interior smell so good, it smells like a rich Mother F*&*@ " He's curses a lot.

Btw, I was laughing out loud while reading this thread, I love that there are people just like me. To bad no one on this site lives here in Houston.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
I've owned a Toyota mr2, a Mitsubishi 3000gt, a Toyota ae86 and now I have an old e34. And the old e34 is by far the best all round most fun car I've owned. I talk about it the most and Iget excited about driving it everyday. My next car is gonna be an e60 or a f10. I'm definately not driving anything else but BMW's. I've driven several other cars g35s 350zs etc the Germans are trully the best.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 '06
My wife is the same, once we were having our car fixed and had to borrow toyota.. And she told me to never let her sit on it again.. Lol
Old 03-28-2013, 07:08 AM

Mein Auto: 07' 530i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by boramkiv View Post
What I've noticed is that these cars have more of an effect on women than they do on men, or the women just openly admit it.
My wife for instance cannot see herself driving any other car again! She's not afraid to tell that to anyone. Her nickname at work is BMW (for real). She debates with guys about how much better BMW's are and only because they don't drive one they wouldn't know. She has some help from a guy who drives an F10 535i. My mother in law... She just wants to go fast when she drives our car. Can't slow her down, and tells us to shut up when we let her know (and the speed warning). My Aunt has to drive my X when we go to North Carolina, even though her 2010 Camry is quite capable.
I usually hear the funny stories about the women.
Don't hear too many guy stories.
Couldn't agree more , especially with Toma about the "want"! The moment she saw it and sat inside of it her mind was changed... FOREVER! lmao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk674 View Post
The really funny thing is that when I originally brought up the idea to get a bmw, she wasn't on board. Her point was that the Civic was safe, reliably and efficient, which is all she needed. As bad as it sounds, not everything has to be a "need", some things are a "want". She now knows why I "wanted" this car
Old 03-28-2013, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
she's warning me that my next car will probably be a used Hyundai or Honda or Toyota, and that I won't be able to handle it. And, she's probably right!!!

Keith

get a Hyundai Genesis - really nice car, if you can get past any Hyundai hangups.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin007 View Post
get a Hyundai Genesis - really nice car, if you can get past any Hyundai hangups.
Yes, very nice car. In fact, most cars sold today are "nice" cars. But, none of them are "Ultimate Driving Machines".

Keith
Old 03-28-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Yes, very nice car. In fact, most cars sold today are "nice" cars. But, none of them are "Ultimate Driving Machines".

Keith
Yes, this seems to be true. A fully loaded KIA may have more "features" than our E60s, but I doubt they would feel the same.