Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 03-27-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Lt
Good buy? 07 335I sludge under oil cap

Hi this is ray and im new to the bmw world and I would appreciate all of your guys input on my buying decision. I plan on purchasinga 2007 335I with auto manual transmission. I went to the dealer yestrday to test drive the car and I must say im very impressed. It was my very first bmw that I have ever driven and the performance of the car blew me out of the water. Something I could definatly get used to (been driving a 99 tahoe for 4 years and never owned anything fast like that).

So my main issue was that when I went to the dealership I was already aware of the issue that shows up on the vehicle such as Fuel pump goin bad, sensors not working, and slight overheating issues...etc I defiantly could fix most of the problems my self dont get me wrong but I dont want to worry about the car so much so I wanted and extend warranty. The car out the door was 17, 500 all taxes fees inc. And 19,500with a 1 year bumper to bumper warranty covering all the powertrain, engine, turbo just evrything that could go wrong with the car besides normal wear items. The car has 88, 000 miles on it and no issues I could spot out. Hoever when I finished the test drive and under neat the hood in the oil cap there was a lot of white sludge and the dealer told me its just condensation becouse it hasnt been driven in a while which I thought was odd. I left the Dealership and decided to come on the forum and see what you guys think.
Ads by Google
Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
I think you'll only see that in a car that has been driven on short trips so the oil hasn't gotten hot enough to get rid of the condensation. That's not a fatal flaw, but I'd sure want them to do an oil and filter change, and I'd want a good report on how the oil looked. You don't want a car that hasn't had regular oil changes...which may not be the case here, but I'd feel better knowing what came out of the crankcase. With a turbo, oil changes and maintaining good lube are critically important to the life of the turbo.

If I really wanted to go with that car, I'd ask them to cut a few hundred dollars off the $2000 warranty - it's extremely expensive for one short year of coverage (not enough, IMO), and there is a fair amount of mark-up in the policy. It's just an insurance policy and they can discount it for you. Why not ask them to sell it to you for their cost plus $100?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 Chevy Tahoe Lt
Before I left the dealership I told the salesman that I want to oil replaced before I buy the car and along with that I want to be in the shop when they drain the fluid so tbey dont pull a fast one on me. He didnt seem to hesitate and went to talk to the manager who came and told me that tbey cannot just replace the fluid for anybody. However if I sign an agreement that I wont back ouf of the deal when the oil is swaped and looks ok aka. No white sludge in it. I will have to purchase the car. The sludge looked exactly like I seen in the tahoe when the head blew and replacing that was a pain the butt and im sure its a lot more complicated on a bmw. Should I go with or withou the warranty (buy as is)?
Old 03-27-2013, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325xi wagon
Fyi

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=627435
Can you get an oil change history its suppose to be changed at leaset once
a year or every 15 to 20k according to the CBS.
Once a year some of you may ask? Says so in the warranty manual.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-27-2013 at 01:38 PM.