Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Question Need Help with code 2b80 - Idle Speed Control

I have spent countless days searching for a solution but I am stumped, particularly because throwing new parts at something like this is not feasible... otherwise I would just replace parts just to rule them out.

2006 750Li - 118k miles. Purchased in 2011 with 65k miles.... yeah, I drive it a lot!

I am getting 2b80 - Idle-Speed Control or "Idle Running, Control" (and formerly "2b70 - Variable Intake System, Control" but I cleared it about 1 week ago and it has not returned)

Note: I have the Creator C110 and Peake scanners and have tried out BMWhat lite. I can provide some feedback if anyone is interested.

Symptoms:
Idle's well in park... I might feel "something" but I might be too sensitive having worked on this for so long. It also drives really well at speed. It's when I approach a stop that it begins to act up... I have been conditioned to avoid stops an roll-through.

In Drive at a stop or in Reverse, it wants to pull away. When pulling away it loses power and then suddently surges. The issue is more pronounced with the A/C on and seems to be worse in Reverse. I also hear some rattle when the A/C is on sometimes but I can't pinpoint from where it is coming.

My indy maxed the idle-speed but it was already having this issue before he did that and he stated that it was already near the max. This issue started about 1 month ago and I have been trouble-shooting it ever since. I suspect the Valvetronic motors or VVT (Valvetronic module) but I don't want to throw money at those things since they are pretty expensive. I did replace all the VANOS Solenoid O-Rings but they were in decent condition considering my car is at 118k miles.

In the process of researching this issue I found that I had to replace my thermostat and temp sensor. The car drove like new for about 1 or 2 days and then I got the shaking / surging again so I don't know what happened that caused it to clear for a short time.

My rear speakers and sub are also snap!, crackling!, and popping! but I will leave that for another repair thread for now.

If anyone has an idea, I would really appreciate you sharing some knowledge.
Advertisement
Old 03-27-2013, 05:56 PM

To be clear there is no loss of electrical power when pulling away from a stop, rather a hesitation or delay in throttle response.

Any insight would be much appreciated.
2006 BMW 750Li - Black Saphire Metalic
Old 03-28-2013, 01:01 PM

Update: I cleared 2b80 on my drive today and 2b70 came back with 2b80 following shortly after.

I hope someone has some insight to post here.

Thank you in advance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Bimmer App
Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM
BMW Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2004 745LI
I had those and they replaced my Mass Air Control Sensor....

Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 745LI
Try cleaning your MAF with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Also my car had those symptoms too and the fix was CCV valves. I found out after replacing my MAF.

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM

I had suspected the MAF earlier but I was not getting any code and it looked like it was brand new. I cleaned it yesterday and cleared the codes. I think there might have been some improvement but it still surges from a stop and the 2b80 code has returned.

I replaced the CCV's last year and confirmed they are still good.

I am going to replace the fuel filter this weekend since it is probably the original.

Anyother thoughts?

Old 03-29-2013, 11:11 AM

You get a smoke test down to see if there is indeed a vacuum leak. Other than that

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 PM

It does act like a vacuum leak. But I only found and replace a cracked intake boot. I will have to figure out how to do a smoke test.

The transmission also jumps out of gear at a stop while it is shuddering... this is another reason I avoid stops.

I think I will flush / replace the transmission fluid while I am in maintenance mode.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
what/where are the CCV valves?
Old 07-02-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyflylane View Post
what/where are the CCV valves?
Check out this DIY thread.....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...923&highlight=

2005 745LI

Black on Black
Sports Pack
Comfort Acces
Rear Entertainment Pack
Convenience Pack
Premium Sound Pack
BTUM9000
3M Tint - 20%
Akebono Brake Pads
Blacked Out Grille
Smoked Taillights
ACS Roof Spoiler
MTEC V3
MTEC D1S 6000K
MTEC H9 4750K Fogs
Old 07-02-2013, 03:20 PM

Mein Auto: 750I
I can help you with this problem. I had the exact same issue ... I think. The car idles find when in neutral but when you put it in D or R then put it back in N does the RPMs go up and then settle?

Also when you put the car in D or R does the car kinda squat especially when in D. When you take your foot off the brake does that car move forward at a faster speed than you would expect?

If you answered yes to most or all of these questions most likely its your torque converter than is bad. Had the same symptoms and had to replace my torque converter.
Old 07-04-2013, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 735 2002
Re: Need Help with code 2b80 - Idle Speed Control

i've had this problem too. almost identical symptoms to urs but going a step further where the car completely chokes up and even stalls sometimes. my issue turned out to be a faulty o2 sensor. the one after the cats. it was giving out false readings causing the car to dump in more fuel into the mixture and thus running lean and soaking the cats with fuel and choking itself.
once i reset the o2 sensors i drove it hard for a bit and it started spewing out white smoke. my mechanic told me that it was burning the fuel soaked in the cats...and sure enough, it started driving better by the minute.

u also need to check ur cats to see if they're clogged up.
if the car drives well at higher rpms then i think its probably a fuel/air mixture problem. check ur o2 readings to confirm

Sent from my GT-N8000 using BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by mokh; 07-04-2013 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:33 PM

Exactly the same symptoms!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFEL750I View Post
I can help you with this problem. I had the exact same issue ... I think. The car idles find when in neutral but when you put it in D or R then put it back in N does the RPMs go up and then settle?

Also when you put the car in D or R does the car kinda squat especially when in D. When you take your foot off the brake does that car move forward at a faster speed than you would expect?

If you answered yes to most or all of these questions most likely its your torque converter than is bad. Had the same symptoms and had to replace my torque converter.
DFEL,

I have ALL those symptoms however I believe I have multiple issues... the other has to do with my O2's.

I suspected the torque converter based on other posts of symptoms but yours is the only one to have described it in a way that is exact to mine. I also found other issues which will prvent me from diagnosing my car conclusively.

BTW... You might be my doppelganger... same car, color, and rims... I have also been Jonesing for an R1 ... GF so far has vetoed it... it'll happen though

I will update after my O2's are replaced.... see my response to the following post.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:04 PM

same symptoms too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokh View Post
i've had this problem too. almost identical symptoms to urs but going a step further where the car completely chokes up and even stalls sometimes. my issue turned out to be a faulty o2 sensor. the one after the cats. it was giving out false readings causing the car to dump in more fuel into the mixture and thus running lean and soaking the cats with fuel and choking itself.
once i reset the o2 sensors i drove it hard for a bit and it started spewing out white smoke. my mechanic told me that it was burning the fuel soaked in the cats...and sure enough, it started driving better by the minute.

u also need to check ur cats to see if they're clogged up.
if the car drives well at higher rpms then i think its probably a fuel/air mixture problem. check ur o2 readings to confirm

Hey Mokh,

My car DOES stall. I eventually got a downstream O2 sensor ageing error... my car has 123k now and it's way past time for the O2's to be changed. I got a great deal on them at fcpeuro... about 50% of dealer prices. Bosch's 'round $105 for each.... anyhow, I replaced the after-cat's and id DID get better... but I still have shuddering. On Tuesday I ordered the upstream sensors after getting no reading at all using TorquePro. I remembered having the same shaking vacuum-leak like symptoms when the O2's went out in a Chevy Tahoe I had.

I ran through a reset procedure a couple nights ago that included disconnecting the battery and draining any stored power via a shorting of the car's cables. On the test drive I decided to check the voltage of my O2's and although I never confirmed the voltage it was enough to see that the Post-cat O2 sensors I replaced were giving readings on the TorquePro graph and the pre-cat sensors that I had NOT replaced showed no reading at all. I ordered the pre-cat sensors that night.

Hope to get them tomorrow but due to the holiday I may not get them until next week.... I know the O2's are heavily contributing to my problems and must be replaced.

How do I check my cats?

I will post an update after the sensors are replaced.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 735 2002
Re: Need Help with code 2b80 - Idle Speed Control

to check the cats u need to get under the car nd bang them with a rubber hammer. if u hear rattling inside then its time u changed them

Old 07-06-2013, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 750I
Luckily for me my girlfriend doesn't bother me about the bike.. I just let her have all the shoes she wants and I'm good. Do you have INPA to check the readings of the O2 sensors? If the car is running right the readings will be about .75 in INPA for the O2 sensors after your CATS. If its running reach that number will start to approach 1. The opposite will happen if its running lean.

I would be careful about thinking you have an O2 sensor problem because the torque converter issues can cause the engine to behave weird. With your foot on the brake when the torque converter is not working right there is alot of load on the engine so the DME adds gas to prevent the engine from stalling..imagine what's going on is your transmission fighting your brakes to get the car moving.... Then when you pull your foot off the break the load is actually immediately removed on the engine with more fuel being dumped into the engine than it actually needs... That can actually make the car seem like it's running rich. I would fix the torque converter issue first if I were you then go from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcamacho View Post
DFEL,

I have ALL those symptoms however I believe I have multiple issues... the other has to do with my O2's.

I suspected the torque converter based on other posts of symptoms but yours is the only one to have described it in a way that is exact to mine. I also found other issues which will prvent me from diagnosing my car conclusively.

BTW... You might be my doppelganger... same car, color, and rims... I have also been Jonesing for an R1 ... GF so far has vetoed it... it'll happen though

I will update after my O2's are replaced.... see my response to the following post.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 PM

I checked my O2 readings with TorquePro and the post-cats are at about .75... the pre-cats had no readings at all. I don't have INPA.

I know that I must change the O2's as they are WAY past due... should be here on Thursday. As I said, I have multiple issues and multiple symptoms, so I am fixing them one at a time. My car sounds like a diesel motor and I think it's because of the O2's.

I will update here after the O2's are replaced.

My GF said her taste in shoes will leave me without enough money for an R1... ugh. haha!