Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Parking light issue?

Hello guys, BTW my name is Marcus (if anyone cared) plan on sticking around here for awhile. But thats all beside the point. Here is the scenario, I was driving home tonight and I noticed my brake lights weren't working (they worked just fine a couple days ago) when I couldn't see them in the reflection of the car behind me. So I pull over and sure enough they don't work. I pulled both light housings and the bulbs are fine. I check the fuses according to the bently manual. Those are fine. So I have that narrowed down to a possible bad brake switch (I hope, it is the OG unit)

Ok thats all good now. So i shut off the car at home. Then I had to leave again. So i turn on the lights and now my dash lights are out as well as the licsense plate lights and the right tail light. Ok so i check the bulbs and they are fine. I checked the fuses again per Bently and they are fine. However When I re inserted the fuse and turned the lights back on all the lights worked again. Ok yay! But no i flicked the lights of then on again and sure enough the entire right side (front and back) parking lights along with the cluster and plate lights are out. Now with a quick glance in the bently it seems as though these lights pass through the headlight switch (obviously lol) and i know it is faulty. Would this switch cause only the left side lights to work an not the right side?

Sorry for the novel I jus wrote, thanks for the help.
Ads by Google
Old 03-27-2013, 11:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by First time View Post
Hello guys, BTW my name is Marcus (if anyone cared) plan on sticking around here for awhile. But thats all beside the point. Here is the scenario, I was driving home tonight and I noticed my brake lights weren't working (they worked just fine a couple days ago) when I couldn't see them in the reflection of the car behind me. So I pull over and sure enough they don't work. I pulled both light housings and the bulbs are fine. I check the fuses according to the bently manual. Those are fine. So I have that narrowed down to a possible bad brake switch (I hope, it is the OG unit)

Ok thats all good now. So i shut off the car at home. Then I had to leave again. So i turn on the lights and now my dash lights are out as well as the licsense plate lights and the right tail light. Ok so i check the bulbs and they are fine. I checked the fuses again per Bently and they are fine. However When I re inserted the fuse and turned the lights back on all the lights worked again. Ok yay! But no i flicked the lights of then on again and sure enough the entire right side (front and back) parking lights along with the cluster and plate lights are out. Now with a quick glance in the bently it seems as though these lights pass through the headlight switch (obviously lol) and i know it is faulty. Would this switch cause only the left side lights to work an not the right side?

Sorry for the novel I jus wrote, thanks for the help.
Yes, a bad light switch could cause this problem but the fact that your symptoms change when you re-plug the fuses would point to corossion in the fuse box which means removing fuses and cleaning all the contacts.

Last edited by Billwill; 03-27-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 AM
That Guy

Mein Auto: 99' 540i M-Sport
Could also be a loose ground somewhere.

1985 335i
Black on Black coupe 5spd
R.I.P

1979 Trans Am 10th Anniversary
#16 of 5,683 made

KOI Import Parts-- 513-771-7777
Old 03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newman271 View Post
Could also be a loose ground somewhere.
Well I don't think a bad ground is the cause for just the right side not to be work. At least I hope not lol. Ima try and locate a switch at my local junkyard today or tomorrow.

This morning the parking lights worked fine (the brake lights still dont work though) so I am leaning even more towards the headlight switch.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325
I think Bill is on to something there. When I got my 87 325e last year, I fixed many of the electrical issues by simply cleaning the terminals on the fuses, relays, switches, bulbs, ect. A few minutes with a wire brush and a small file really goes a long way on an older car. I hope it helps

Last edited by woodenbmw; 03-28-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:48 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Odd, today everything worked fine
Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: 1987 BMW 325
After close to 30 years it can't hurt to clean everything up a bit.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Well I pulled my headlight switch out to find that three of the contacts are burnt. Also the female connectors are burnt as well on the wiring loom side (chassis wire harness) I am not sure what could have cause this but now my lights are out again for good. They have been for the past couple of days. I went to the junkyard today to look for another switch and of course there were no e30's in sight. There was one e21 which i promptly took the switch for (just grabbed it as it takes no tools anyway) just to match it up against mine and they are completely different. I might be able to make it work though if I have to.

Right now I cant justify spending $120 on a new OEM switch from pelican. I will check back at the yard some other day before I go modifying the e21 switch to work with my car.

Here are some pics of the damage:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1364857739.469301.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	369326   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1364857753.427535.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	369327   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1364857769.299659.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	369328  
Old 04-02-2013, 03:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E30 318i 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by First time View Post
Well I pulled my headlight switch out to find that three of the contacts are burnt. Also the female connectors are burnt as well on the wiring loom side (chassis wire harness) I am not sure what could have cause this but now my lights are out again for good. They have been for the past couple of days. I went to the junkyard today to look for another switch and of course there were no e30's in sight. There was one e21 which i promptly took the switch for (just grabbed it as it takes no tools anyway) just to match it up against mine and they are completely different. I might be able to make it work though if I have to.

Right now I cant justify spending $120 on a new OEM switch from pelican. I will check back at the yard some other day before I go modifying the e21 switch to work with my car.

Here are some pics of the damage:
You should be able to get the E21 switch to work. If the connector to the switch is different to the E30 connector then when you next go to the junkyard, cut off the E21 connector with a few inches of able attached to use on the E21 switch.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:40 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Yea thats what i was going to do. But there is one extra wire on my car vs the E21. Also (although im sure they are similar switches in nature) a couple terminals are different. I will just try and go back to find the correct switch or order a new one. I dont fancy hacking up my harness just to ghetto something up.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Nick's Toys

Mein Auto: 323i E30 2-door
I have seen this often when people fit high-watt bulbs/spotlights without running them through relais.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:40 PM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Well replaced my headlight switch and everything is functioning properly as of now.